Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

Holy poo poo he's gonna launch the nukes now isn't he. They've taken everything he cares about.

He's going to Alamo, TX (not the Alamo) on Tuesday to yammer about the border wall. The plan appears to be for the entire government to pretend that Pence is the president and distract Donnie with shiny things (the wall, Tech nonsense, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I know the Lincoln Project became unpopular because of a tweet from some dude at *checks notes* the daily poster(and an AOC tweet), but they’re still pushing ahead and with great content. They’ve been in overdrive the past few days. Look I’m a dirty centrist I love their stuff.

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1348093172090597376?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1348051553186410497?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1347571734610907136?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1347930316447436801?s=21

Somewhat related, but this poo poo is still so surreal, that even Tom Clancy, would have looked cock eyed at it he wrote a book where abortion starts a war with Russia and China and the US.

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1348293638648782851?s=21

Trump was the world's most powerful Twitter troll. The Lincoln Project trolled the troll.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

He's going to Alamo, TX (not the Alamo) on Tuesday to yammer about the border wall. The plan appears to be for the entire government to pretend that Pence is the president and distract Donnie with shiny things (the wall, Tech nonsense, etc.).

I’m just so concerned he’s going to start pardoning these traitors. I still want him impeached and convicted even if it takes 100 days.

Granted I’m sure a ton of those idiots violates state weapons laws in Maryland and other states coming through, but that’s going to be a lot harder to prove. That said Dyngus would probably make it very narrow where it wouldn’t actually be as functional as you think it would be.

I wonder if there’s a novel argument to be made that pardoning violent crimes against a co-equal branch of government is not constitutional, because it would violate separation of powers and well other stuff...I’m just spinning ideas in my head.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Trump was the world's most powerful Twitter troll. The Lincoln Project trolled the troll.

And it’s been glorious to watch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wonder if there’s a novel argument to be made that pardoning violent crimes against a co-equal branch of government is not constitutional, because it would violate separation of powers and well other stuff...I’m just spinning ideas in my head.

If the justices of the Supreme Court feel personally threatened, I could see them going along with something like this.

It’s arguably less of a leap than the implied right to privacy, for example.

That said, the Roberts court is real bad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I know the Lincoln Project became unpopular because of a tweet from some dude at *checks notes* the daily poster(and an AOC tweet),

they became unpopular because of the election; they took in hundreds of millions of dollars and moved negative votes in the segments they purportedly targeted, and they'll now use most of it to pull the administration to the right and characterize decarbonizing and providing health care as unreasonable.

we all like tweets that own the people we don't like, but don't get it mixed up: they are an entertainment outlet that funds conservative politics. They're PragerU for a slightly different audience.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rebekahlsanders/status/1348334472853291008?s=21

I’m sure we’ve seen the video of that cop getting chased by the mob, but that dude probably prevented some REALLY bad poo poo and saved a ton of lives. He’s standing next to the open door leading to the senate there and he baited the mob away from it. You can see it in the video from the journalists that were with him too. That dude deserves whatever the highest award he can get is.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/LiaS814/status/1348291433258741763

https://twitter.com/lilsarg/status/1348284898952536064

They just can’t stop eating their own.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fknlo posted:

That dude deserves whatever the highest award he can get is.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom :razz:

brains
May 12, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

they became unpopular because of the election; they took in hundreds of millions of dollars and moved negative votes in the segments they purportedly targeted, and they'll now use most of it to pull the administration to the right and characterize decarbonizing and providing health care as unreasonable.

we all like tweets that own the people we don't like, but don't get it mixed up: they are an entertainment outlet that funds conservative politics. They're PragerU for a slightly different audience.

they are absolutely pro-trump agenda, they just hated that the man pushing it was so incompetent and made the GOP look bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

I was saying in GBS that I think they may have (not intentionally) wound up influencing independents and certain Democrats (say people who liked the grenade marine or blue dog voters), but I’ll admit it’s going to take time and studies to verify or disprove that.

Also anyone giving this much grief to Cruz and Hawley non stop...I’m okay with the moment.

That said if they really do a full hell turn everyone has a right to point that out and laugh at me for years to come here about it (unless I acknowledge it before everyone else).

I’ll agree they want a push more towards Reagan era, but without they embrace of the whack jobs and racists (which they say was a mistake to not get rid of and own up to it in a 60 minutes interview for what it’s worth).

“Platystemon” posted:

If the justices of the Supreme Court feel personally threatened, I could see them going along with something like this.

It’s arguably less of a leap than the implied right to privacy, for example.

That said, the Roberts court is real bad.

Yeah, I feel like an overwhelming action aimed at legitimization for the attack on a coequal is a compelling argument. I mean what stops a future attack on the Supreme Court (say like Pablo did in Columbia) and a President pardoning everyone. DC is in a weird area (unless it becomes a state), where any violence or crime there against is pretty much federal only (although I’d love to see an article explaining how DC law functions that doesn’t make it federal, if such exceptions exists).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 10, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Lincoln Project puts out great anti-GOP content that isn't remotely equivalent to the laughable falsehoods that make up 99.9% of PragerU vids.

That doesn't mean anyone should be giving them money or hail them as thought leaders, but we don't need to have this same dumb song and dance every time they call out the GOP more forcefully than the Democrats.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Lincoln Project puts out great anti-GOP content that isn't remotely equivalent to the laughable falsehoods that make up 99.9% of PragerU vids.

That doesn't mean anyone should be giving them money or hail them as thought leaders, but we don't need to have this same dumb song and dance every time they call out the GOP more forcefully than the Democrats.

This is also a good reasoning too.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

They just can’t stop eating their own.

That's how nazism trumpism works. Succeed and party hero, fail = not real member/commie plant/false flag... Anything to protect the party/ideology. The enemy is simultaneously immensely strong and also weak as fits the narrative.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

MazelTovCocktail posted:

And it’s been glorious to watch.

It seems like the right wing equivalent of the late night talk show host Trump burns which if I remember correctly did more harm than good since it just kept the circle jerk thinking of GOP dumb haha we are the smart ones what a joke rolling

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hey folks. Anything interesting happen in the last few weeks since I've been off the forums?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

Orwell, writing in 1944, said:

I do recommend reading the piece in full. It’s a page and a half long.

I get what he's saying and I wasn't aware that it had been abused to meaninglessness so early, but I do think that a study and survey of regimes largely viewed as (or self designated as) fascist can reveal a set of distinguishing characteristics. I think his problem was that he was naming single things which would make for "fascism" or requiring that every fascist regime share all characteristics. For example, all fascism is nationalist but not all nationalism is fascist. (Contrast with forum favorite Eco's Ur-Fascism which I think it both too broad and too specific at times).

I'd list the following as key indicators of fascism, in no particular order. I don't think all are required, but if you've got most of them...

- Ultranationalism (often but not necessarily including expansionism)
- Single party rule
- Charismatic leader/cult of personality
- Ethnonationalism
- Subordination of the individual to the good of the nation-state
- Violent paramilitary activity
- Hostility to liberal democratic values, particularly assaults on a free press

Subordination of individuals to the good of the nation-state is the only one I don't see in Trumpism. It's fascism.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maffew buildings posted:

It seems like the right wing equivalent of the late night talk show host Trump burns which if I remember correctly did more harm than good since it just kept the circle jerk thinking of GOP dumb haha we are the smart ones what a joke rolling

I’m going to argue in this case dumb, doesn’t mean not dangerous or not a threat, and there seems to be a distinction vs a Seth Meyers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You're right, the Lincoln project folks are all about competent fascism and Meyers isn't

If you want to push the Reagan era minus the racism you aren't left with much besides bipartisanship to further goals that disproportionately gently caress over oh wait back to racism. If they did some good this election, great, but I still do not believe they acted out of anything but greed and a desire to further their own abhorrent agenda

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 10, 2021

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Trump is supposed to travel to Alamo, TX on Tuesday to showcase progress on the border wall(?). There are a few oddities about this:
  • Why? Who is he trying to impress at this point?
  • There's nothing in Alamo; it's a suburb of McAllen and Edinburgh
  • There has been no fence construction near there AFAIK

So doom Twitter if of two minds:
This is another Four Seasons screw-up. AFAIK there are no exurbs in the Valley, except maybe for small enclaves of q-tips who are rich-enough to own both a double-wide and a Class A motorhome there, but not enough for The Villages in Florida. Or,

Lots of rumors flying around (but of course nothing specific) about trying to make a last stand and "Alamo" is clearly a codeword etc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lots of idiots will be going to jail for a long time.

Apparently while not very accurate with people of color, image recognition technology works pretty drat well with white people.

https://twitter.com/repriggleman/status/1348333660618035203?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's why I'm not particularly worried about them winning. I'm more concerned with the incalculable damage they can do along the way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Apparently while not very accurate with people of color, image recognition technology works pretty drat well with white people.

When they’re not wearing masks.

A friend and I have a disagreement about the degree to which pandemic contrarianism is responsible for them not wearing masks versus age‐old factors like “law enforcement treats them with kid gloves” and “they want their face in the history books”.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lake of Methane posted:

Trump is supposed to travel to Alamo, TX on Tuesday to showcase progress on the border wall(?). There are a few oddities about this:
  • Why? Who is he trying to impress at this point?
  • There's nothing in Alamo; it's a suburb of McAllen and Edinburgh
  • There has been no fence construction near there AFAIK

So doom Twitter if of two minds:
This is another Four Seasons screw-up. AFAIK there are no exurbs in the Valley, except maybe for small enclaves of q-tips who are rich-enough to own both a double-wide and a Class A motorhome there, but not enough for The Villages in Florida. Or,

Lots of rumors flying around (but of course nothing specific) about trying to make a last stand and "Alamo" is clearly a codeword etc.

lmao

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Reminder: Lincoln Project would've have existed in Pence were in charge. Laugh at the things they make, sure. But never forget this one controlling fact about them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

When they’re not wearing masks.

it also helps that a bunch of people livestreamed it from their instagram and FB accounts. even with masks plenty of people would've sold themselves out in the name of internet-cred.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boop the snoot posted:

it also helps that a bunch of people livestreamed it from their instagram and FB accounts. even with masks plenty of people would've sold themselves out in the name of internet-cred.

Yeah and so much data must be coming from geofence warrants.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So what the gently caress is going on in Chicago?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So what the gently caress is going on in Chicago?

You'll have to narrow that down.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

its also not hard to figure things out by the absence of geodata. You can plot a geodata line to DC, then a geodata blackhole, then a geodata line back home.

i'll turn my phone off right before this coup, the feds will never suspect a thing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/DerfBackderf/status/1348314412130697216?s=20

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

You'll have to narrow that down.

Uhh, the 7 people shot, 3 dead and dead shooter.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Uhh, the 7 people shot, 3 dead and dead shooter.

That's a tame weekend in Chicago. 30 people got shot at a New Year's party.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Good point. Just curious if anything came out about the shooter, motive, etc. You know, was he Q crazy or not, that jazz.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I know the Lincoln Project became unpopular because of a tweet from some dude at *checks notes* the daily poster(and an AOC tweet), but they’re still pushing ahead and with great content. They’ve been in overdrive the past few days. Look I’m a dirty centrist I love their stuff.

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1348093172090597376?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1348051553186410497?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1347571734610907136?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1347930316447436801?s=21

Somewhat related, but this poo poo is still so surreal, that even Tom Clancy, would have looked cock eyed at it he wrote a book where abortion starts a war with Russia and China and the US.

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1348293638648782851?s=21

Boy I just love the people that cheerlead is into the Iraq War

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

loving brainwormed nutcase
https://mobile.twitter.com/DerfBackderf/status/1348327348404428800/photo/1

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PookBear posted:

its also not hard to figure things out by the absence of geodata. You can plot a geodata line to DC, then a geodata blackhole, then a geodata line back home.

i'll turn my phone off right before this coup, the feds will never suspect a thing

If that’s the only thing they have on you it’s probably not enough. We’re not yet at the point where no phone = automatic guilt like we are with breathalyzer tests.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Could have closed with “your obedient servant,” have a little fun with it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I get what he's saying and I wasn't aware that it had been abused to meaninglessness so early, but I do think that a study and survey of regimes largely viewed as (or self designated as) fascist can reveal a set of distinguishing characteristics. I think his problem was that he was naming single things which would make for "fascism" or requiring that every fascist regime share all characteristics. For example, all fascism is nationalist but not all nationalism is fascist. (Contrast with forum favorite Eco's Ur-Fascism which I think it both too broad and too specific at times).

I'd list the following as key indicators of fascism, in no particular order. I don't think all are required, but if you've got most of them...

- Ultranationalism (often but not necessarily including expansionism)
- Single party rule
- Charismatic leader/cult of personality
- Ethnonationalism
- Subordination of the individual to the good of the nation-state
- Violent paramilitary activity
- Hostility to liberal democratic values, particularly assaults on a free press

Subordination of individuals to the good of the nation-state is the only one I don't see in Trumpism. It's fascism.

lately i've been reading Blood In My Eye, and i'd say the big thing you're missing is Free Markets. Fascism is a defense mechanism that comes out in times of crisis, ie when there's a chance for workers to take power. instead you divide them against themselves with nationalist anti-democratic bull, then take power first, then purge and restructure things to put the workers in their place, then eventually return to a more profitable liberal democracy with better bulwarks against crisis. this happened in Indonesia, Taiwan, Korea, Chile, and of course forcibly in Germany, but given that everywhere else didn't need a military loss to follow this trajectory, i think the same thing would have happened there too without one.

quote:

In order for capitalism to continue to rule, any action that threatens the right of a few individuals to own and control public property must be prohibited and curtailed whatever the cost in resources (the international wing of the repressive institutions has spent one and one-half trillion dollars since World War II), whatever the cost in blood (My Lai, Augusta, Georgia, Kent State, the Panther trials, the frame-up of Angela Davis)! The national repressive institutions (police, National Guard, army, etc.) are no less determined. The mayors that curse the rioters and’ the looters (Mayor Daley of Chicago has ordered them summarily executed in the streets) and ignore the fact that their bosses have looted the world!

quote:

The shock troops of fascism on the mass political level are drawn from members of the lower-middle class who feel the upward thrust of the lower classes more acutely. These classes feel that any dislocation of the present economy resulting from the upward thrust of the masses would affect their status first. They are joined by that sector of the working class which is backward enough to be affected by nationalistic trappings and loyalty syndrome that sociologists have termed the ‘Authoritarian Personality.’ One primary aim of the fascist arrangement is to extend and develop this new pig class, to degenerate and diffuse working-class consciousness with a psycho-social appeal to man’s herd instincts. Development and exploitation of the authoritarian syndrome is at the center of ‘totalitarian’ capitalism (fascism). It feeds on a small but false sense of class consciousness and the need for community.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Subordination of individuals to the good of the nation-state is the only one I don't see in Trumpism.

Oh no, it's there.

Its just hidden behind the vet worship and armed forces cargo-culting for now.

It will be more apparent if they become more successful in pushing the country their way.

IMO In classic fascism that was always code for "keeping the underclasses in their place. but not you, you're one of the good ones". so it will come into play later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Doc Hawkins posted:

lately i've been reading Blood In My Eye, and i'd say the big thing you're missing is Free Markets. Fascism is a defense mechanism that comes out in times of crisis, ie when there's a chance for workers to take power. instead you divide them against themselves with nationalist anti-democratic bull, then take power first, then purge and restructure things to put the workers in their place, then eventually return to a more profitable liberal democracy with better bulwarks against crisis. this happened in Indonesia, Taiwan, Korea, Chile, and of course forcibly in Germany, but given that everywhere else didn't need a military loss to follow this trajectory, i think the same thing would have happened there too without one.

I disagree, though consider I'm mostly going from less-than-recent reading of Robert Paxton plus some things here and there over the last year or two so I'm not wedded to my interpretations.
I'm seeing the small percent of Republican Never-Trumpers as the Republicans who actually believe in free markets/liberal economics. Fascism, with its key ingredient of nationalism, tends to favor economic nationalism - tariffs, quotas, etc. Also, the attack on big tech is in line with fascist opposition to actual free markets - fascism tends towards government control and regulation of industry which is directly useful (arms, prisons) or can be a threat if not controlled (media, today's tech sector).