Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man! I just realized, you know another female character who is only defined by her relationship with male characters? Ray's mother! Even her "choose your own adventure" decision graph thingie is 100% focused on Ray.

yesssssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A mother just knows.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

what is ray's mother beef with grace jones anyway

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

paradoxGentleman posted:

what is ray's mother beef with grace jones anyway

Honestly I think she's just really racist.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Grace Jones challenges binary sexuality but in a way that will be too strong for some people.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
She felt betrayed by Warm Leatherette

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Lurdiak posted:

There are several blog posts about Cornelius scamming Ray at pool that are very instructive.
If Ray's game touches some eggs the mother bird will kill the eggs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moe_Rahn posted:

If Ray's game touches some eggs the mother bird will kill the eggs

Hay all on the floor. A man has a whip.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

How Wonderful! posted:

She felt betrayed by Warm Leatherette

until very recently I thought the frank tovey version was both the original and the best known

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

How Wonderful! posted:

Rutabagas rule. They look like (and are) a mix between turnips and cabbage but they taste like if potatoes went berserk. Really savory and earthy. If you get one you can just cut it up and then boil and mash it like you'd made mashed potatoes.
Back when COVID panic hit the supply chain so hard that I couldn't even get potatoes, I tried making Eisenhower Stew with rutabagas instead. It just didn't work. It was too sweet, for one thing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

How Wonderful! posted:

Rutabagas rule. They look like (and are) a mix between turnips and cabbage but they taste like if potatoes went berserk. Really savory and earthy. If you get one you can just cut it up and then boil and mash it like you'd made mashed potatoes.

Halloween Jack posted:

Back when COVID panic hit the supply chain so hard that I couldn't even get potatoes, I tried making Eisenhower Stew with rutabagas instead. It just didn't work. It was too sweet, for one thing.

[X] Boil 'em
[X] Mash 'em
[ ] Stick 'em in a stew

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

bony tony posted:

Cornelius was laying it on a bit thick with his jeremiad about his "childhood drum", but Ray didn't notice, what with him being thick as pigshit.

I never read the blogs so I never picked up on this, but it makes a million kinds of sense. Cornelius obviously knows that Ray has a childhood drum and goes to play it at Christmas etc etc

most people don't have childhood drums because most people's parents have more sense than to buy a child a drum (due to the noise)

EDIT: I always just assumed it was Onstad being weird

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 9, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

EDIT: I always just assumed it was Onstad being weird

Same.
Or rather, that Onstad's world was being weird. It's a word with Cartillage Head and Nice Pete in it, where a five years old can put together a company that makes enough money to buy an ermine coat. There are enough differences that maybe childhood drums are just A Thing That Exists.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
a childhood drum can be both metaphor and real, it's one of those delightful word tricks that Onstad really excels/excelled at

it exists in the same beautiful liminality as "restroom eyes"

the childhood drum can be both a broader conceptual thing about the exuberance and explosive optimism of young childhood, the warm heartbeat of nostalgia in adulthood for that heady time, and also literally a drum that many young children just wind up getting from like a parent or other family member or maybe it just sorta materializes I dunno, can a pot or pan be a childhood drum? Is roast beef's childhood drum like an empty coffee can or whatever? I got a wood+leather hand drum in the DR when I was five, and I have always had and cherished it, is that my childhood drum? Or is it the small handheld den den spin drum I'm told I received at EPCOT when I was 2?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Just one of the weird little peaks into Achewood’s (the town) culture, like the concept of a Magreaux Dog.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

If Achewood was Star Wars there would be a novel trilogy explaining why Connie's childhood drum was lying there and an animated prequel show with a guest appearance by Ray that details why he needed Connie's advice.

Disney, buy Achewood please

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

If Achewood was Star Wars there would be a novel trilogy explaining why Connie's childhood drum was lying there and an animated prequel show with a guest appearance by Ray that details why he needed Connie's advice.

Disney, buy Achewood please

the last thing Achewood needs is an expanded childhood drum universe

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The childhood drum would be given a richly layered tapestry of meaning and emotion, while Molly would still be the woman sometimes found alongside Beef.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Did you know that every night, people all across America go to bed sad?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is that a statistic?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ok Comboomer posted:

the last thing Achewood needs is an expanded childhood drum universe

Yeah, certainly not until we find out whether or not Beef has in fact heard of Seka.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

The childhood drum would be given a richly layered tapestry of meaning and emotion, while Molly would still be the woman sometimes found alongside Beef.

if you had Steven Moffat showrunning we’d find out Episode One that Roast Beef is special, and key to something very important (something to do with his voice maybe?), with unknown agents from a secret organization showing up to track him and Ray down— and then we’d spend the rest of the series never finding out what or why

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Yeah, certainly not until we find out whether or not Beef has in fact heard of Seka.

And whether or not he wants to smoke, forever.

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you had Steven Moffat showrunning we’d find out Episode One that Roast Beef is special, and key to something very important (something to do with his voice maybe?), with unknown agents from a secret organization showing up to track him and Ray down— and then we’d spend the rest of the series never finding out what or why

Part of a Harvard University project to create a man who had no chance of making it in this world.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also Ramses and the Great Outdoor Fight dudes would be there, and involved in the secret bad guy org for some reason

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
"Excuse me, Father, for I am Ray Smuckles."
"You are forgiven. Proceed."

is one of my favorite exchanges in this whole comic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you had Chris Chibnall showrunning then we'd find out that Roast Beef is now and always has been a billionaire, because in like the third strip or something when Onstad was still figuring out the characters Beef says,"Oh I got mad cash" in a background panel. This would now be the most important and pivotal thing to build the entire character around, even if it comes at the expense of literally every other bit of characterization that Beef has ever had.

Oh God I'm complaining about Doctor Who in the Achewood thread, I need to get my rear end kicked by a guy who trained himself to be a Marine by jumping off his roof onto a trampoline.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I'm complaining about Doctor Who in the Achewood thread, I need to get my rear end kicked by a guy who trained himself to be a Marine by jumping off his roof onto a trampoline.

Hank Venture?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

Hank Venture?

Oh I wish I could have been trained by..... THE BAT!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a puzzle that's framed as being much more esoteric than it is, what with all the stuff about the works of Pliny the Elder. The joke is that Ray completely buys that it's difficult. It's a dunk both on MENSA for mostly consisting of expensive flattery, and Ray for falling for it.

I once knew a guy who would drop that he's in Mensa first thing. Like literally, "Hi, my name is Guy and I'm in Mensa". He was exactly the type of person you probably think he would be.

Turbo libertarian with chud leanings masquerading as a liberal left winger, but constantly "just asking questions" and "just having a dialogue" about everything and being the most exhausting motherfucker on the planet. It's actually good that nazis are able to harass people online and yell gamer words because it's freedom of speech and if you don't like it you should just debate them and explain to them the logical fallacies in their world view and furthermore

Haven't really spoken to that guy in a few years lemme tell you what!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Watchu doin' lettin' a chud bother you, STC?! I thought you had any sense!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lyle is watching a parents' video called "Dumb Thick Trick." That is his Decision. God says we should not have opinions, but I can tell that He also wouldn't want us to have This video.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Superman wouldn't wear a police hat in the shower! Applesauce!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Guess who just got ♪ yelled at! ♪

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

theironjef posted:

Superman wouldn't wear a police hat in the shower! Applesauce!

That's one of my favorite lines from the comic, hands down

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lyle is watching a parents' video called "Dumb Thick Trick." That is his Decision. God says we should not have opinions, but I can tell that He also wouldn't want us to have This video.

Far more interested in the content of another Lyle pick, THE BITCHSEER

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know they claim that nobody survived Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain, but then how did the footage get out? :tinfoil:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Jerusalem posted:

You know they claim that nobody survived Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain, but then how did the footage get out? :tinfoil:
They sent a second expedition to gently caress Mountain to recover the footage, like in Cannibal Holocaust.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Found Tittage Movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer