Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Tried MH:R, but I just can’t get into it. Had the same experience with MHW.

I think it’s simply the fact that it doesn’t have lock-on. Something about the combat feels really slow and non-responsive to me, like I am always doing attacks in the wrong direction and on top of that the combat controls are really confusing and weirdly complex.

I want to like this game but I just don’t know if I can enjoy the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I ordered two an hour ago and still haven't gotten anything beyond the order confirmation email

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

minya posted:

I think it’s simply the fact that it doesn’t have lock-on. Something about the combat feels really slow and non-responsive to me, like I am always doing attacks in the wrong direction and on top of that the combat controls are really confusing and weirdly complex.

The deliberate feeling combat of the series is not for everyone. I felt the same at first playing 3U but then eventually it clicked.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

minya posted:

Go with sword and shield. It's quick and snappy, and you can almost always evade in any direction after an attack. You can also use items without putting your weapon away, while using your shield.

In the real game they usually pit you against big slow unaggressive targets, eventually small jumpy fuckers of some sort, and then finally work you up to a big fucker. This way you get to practice your moves, tracking targets, looking for openings.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

404notfound posted:

I ordered two an hour ago and still haven't gotten anything beyond the order confirmation email

It can take up to four hours to go through. I got my code about an hour after making the order.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

minya posted:

You can set the camera to lock-on in the options so it always tracks the monster.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SeANMcBAY posted:

The deliberate feeling combat of the series is not for everyone. I felt the same at first playing 3U but then eventually it clicked.

Yeah it's really about getting into a groove. Almost feels like a rhythm game with some weapons. You're having a danceoff with the monster, so you want to pay attention to its cues.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It also helps if you’re used to Souls games which have similar deliberate feeling combat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Sad Panda posted:

I didn't look there. Might see if it can be improved. Is there anyway to mark squares as maybe? Only seemed to be able to say it is or isn't a square. It just felt clunky.

The big problem is that the default appearance for the picross grids is supposed to be a retro CRT effect, and you can turn that off in the options for sure, it's one of the first things I did.

There isn't a way to mark squares as "maybe" unfortunately, it's based a lot more on like Mario Picross where you can't do that either. Actually now that you mention it I think the Jupiter games are the only ones I've played where you can mark squares as "maybe." But yeah the Piczle games are definitely missing a lot of the polish the Jupiter games do, and feel more like the original Game Boy Picross or the one for Super Famicom, which can feel a bit dated for sure.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Got my $70 Wario card from Walmart after a few hours.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Got my $70 Wario card from Walmart after a few hours.

I have a receipt but no card yet so that's reassuring

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Twelve by Pies posted:

There isn't a way to mark squares as "maybe" unfortunately, it's based a lot more on like Mario Picross where you can't do that either. Actually now that you mention it I think the Jupiter games are the only ones I've played where you can mark squares as "maybe." But yeah the Piczle games are definitely missing a lot of the polish the Jupiter games do, and feel more like the original Game Boy Picross or the one for Super Famicom, which can feel a bit dated for sure.

Pixel Puzzle Makeout League has maybes!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I made my order at 4:10 and just got the email with the code at 6:15.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

minya posted:

That's all by design, the attack animations are slow and literally non-responsive in that they don't have cancels or anything, because it's all about making decisions on when to commit to attacks and then seeing whether you get punished for them. Tying into the lack of lock on, learning when and where to attack to hit weak spots and avoid armored or dangerous spots is a big deal.

Some weapons are lower commitment than others, sword and shield like some people have said, but that's monster hunter

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Namaste

https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1348403881961775105?s=19

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrowdedSillyCattleBIRB
(loud)

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

It took a little less than an hour for my Wario card email to show up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the dual blades are better for newbies as they move a lot faster than anything else

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The demo also doesn’t really play with options until you’re in the missions which is very unintuitive. That said, once you can take your time and set up your radial wheel item use becomes a non-issue. I (generally) hate the item bar and only use it for buffs at the start of a hunter. Almost everything I use in combat is a quick gesture via radial wheel away.

This is the most welcoming MonHun has been and I’m someone that went back to play GU after World/Iceborne and got to see first hand all the QoL changes World brought.

Honestly the MonHun demos are all kinda poo poo this way. I remember the GU one being the same way. It’s a “this is the game, technically! Figure poo poo out yourself or not!” The tutorial missions is basically a rundown on the new Rise mechanics while assuming you have a general understanding of the series.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Horses evolved from dinosaurs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm so fuckin' rusty as MonHunt. Me and a buddy did coop and failed three times to take down bubble dragon. Just trying to figure out if i want the base game or the deluxe edition.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Away all Goats posted:

RE: what weapon to use for Monster hunter, please see this playlist for a totally serious guide

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcYJFI7HQU4&t=2s

I just binge watched every Crap Guide video he has because of that. Good stuff. :tipshat:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you ever wanted the full anime experience, then friends I’m here to tell you about Dual Blades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfeVoOKZhXY

Especially from 2:47 onward

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the dual blades are better for newbies as they move a lot faster than anything else

I started off with Light Bowgun bc I don't like getting hit :shobon:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MDickie’s Wrestling Empire is out. Just played half an hour and I’m loving it. It’s so silly.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I managed to drop the beginner lizard on my second attempt with sword and shield. It helped to have misclicked only half my stack of potions before the fight instead of all of them. I still cannot wrap my head around the controls.
Also, I couldn't find the whetstone command, so I finished the monster by pummeling it with the shield.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 11, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MDickie’s Wrestling Empire is out. Just played half an hour and I’m loving it. It’s so silly.

Hell yeah. That goes on my wishlist for sure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hell yeah. That goes on my wishlist for sure.

It’s on sale at launch, I paid €16, think it’s usually 20

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I've never played a MH game before and that first tutorial mission did little to alleviate my confusion. Seems like a billion systems going on all at once and since the combat in that one was just watch your doggo fight for you then you mash the attack button once and it's over, I really don't feel like I learned much

The menus also seem numerous and confusing. Not super impressed so far but I realize it's just the first tutorial

I've gotten super into MH at like three different points in my life and each time I had to really struggle at the beginning, because yeah it is very confusing and overwhelming at first glance. There are a billion different systems to interact with and the controls feel very unintuitive compared to most games. It's very easy to feel like you're missing something and not paying attention to important things. Once you get into it and just Dive Right In it becomes a lot easier, most of the systems and submenus you can ignore until you're ready, and even once you're a pro they require very little attention and you barely interact with them 99% of the time to get the most out of them, but it is very overwhelming at first.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

minya posted:

I think it’s simply the fact that it doesn’t have lock-on.

I'm pretty sure you can have a togglable lock-on, you just have to enable it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

I've gotten super into MH at like three different points in my life and each time I had to really struggle at the beginning, because yeah it is very confusing and overwhelming at first glance. There are a billion different systems to interact with and the controls feel very unintuitive compared to most games. It's very easy to feel like you're missing something and not paying attention to important things. Once you get into it and just Dive Right In it becomes a lot easier, most of the systems and submenus you can ignore until you're ready, and even once you're a pro they require very little attention and you barely interact with them 99% of the time to get the most out of them, but it is very overwhelming at first.

After playing a little more... i still feel the same way.

I feel like there's a LOT that's not presented here and like this demo is for MH fans to get hyped but it will probably have the opposite effect on MH noobs which is a pretty strange marketing decision

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Bloop posted:

I feel like there's a LOT that's not presented here and like this demo is for MH fans to get hyped but it will probably have the opposite effect on MH noobs which is a pretty strange marketing decision

The MHGU demo was an abomination. I expect no less from Rise.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MHW demo was also notably lacking in demonstrating the actual loop of hunting -> crafting better gear -> hunting bigger monsters, which is the entire appeal of the game. It was my first MH and the demo didn't quite click but I bought it at its first sale on a hunch and loved it. It's probably pretty hard to squeeze that feeling of repetition and progress into a reasonably-sized demo, so I understand why they just give you a few fights to play with, but if you're new to MH basically everything people love about it is missing from the demo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

That's pretty much what Monster Hunter demos do which was pointed out before the thing launched. If you aren't already sold on the series it just drops you in a hunt with gear that may or may not be suited for the target and says go. Which for the beginner hunt against the giant raptors is usually enough to be okay, but then the next level is something that typically is eased up to.

Hell world straight up had an elder dragon fight in the demo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tafferling posted:

I managed to drop the beginner lizard on my second attempt with sword and shield. It helped to have misclicked only half my stack of potions before the fight instead of all of them. I still cannot wrap my head around the controls.
Also, I couldn't find the whetstone command, so I finished the monster by pummeling it with the shield.

The whetstone is the infinite use item in your item wheel, looks like a little yellow knife with a sponge next to it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

monster hunter is like the only action game series I know of where you have to aim melee attacks and it takes some getting used to

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I somehow never played those 3D Mario games back in the day. How they hold up?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sponges posted:

:can: but good

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I might try that one. Honestly the dating part isn't really... idk how to put it because it's amusingly plot relevant but its not like stupid. There's nothing more than an almost kiss with one hero and I think holding hands with another or two? Really it's just a fun dumb plot that I think tries too hard to hook people with "picross but with dating!" When really it should be "picross with a goofy rear end plot that turns into existential horror in the final ending"
Okay I'm sold on the picross dating game now.

As you were asking about Murder by Numbers earlier, here's my recommendation: I enjoyed it a lot! The game play felt a little slow at points as I'm a picross fiend but of all the picross games I've played that mix in story or other game mechanics it' by far the most successful. The plot is fairly paint by numbers, it won't really surprise you but it's well executed and the characters ended up being pretty charming.

Honestly though I'd watch the game's animated intro song to get a good idea of the game's tone and style, because if you're not into it then you're just playing a regular picross game but with a lot of mashing through text boxes and other busywork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0aLdpcPHk

As for other less straight up puzzle compilation-y picross titles I've played:

PiczleCross Adventure/PictoQuest
purchased as a bundle.
Quite enjoyed PiczleCross Adventure, it has the same characters as a bunch of other Piczle puzzle games on the e-shop but I think this is the only Picross one they've done. Same exact story as usual, every day items have been turned into puzzles that you need to solve to return to normal. It's presented as a pixelart top down adventure, there's some light levelling and a nice sized world map to explore. There's basically zero story to the game so the real draw is in how much you enjoy exploring and looking for secrets between the puzzles.

PictoQuest however I found kinda lacking. There's no world map or exploration and even less of a story than in PiczleCross. You progress along a mario style stage select map and basically play standard picross puzzles with a fairly inconsequential battle system on top. You attack the enemy by shading correct squares, if you don't attack regularly you get hit. It's just a timer really and I don't think I ever lost a battle in my whole no assist play-through. I'm not sure there's enough meat to recommend it to a picross veteran and I don't think the battle mechanics are great for new players either. I'm not really a fan of timers on picross puzzles tbh, this is my chill podcast and puzzle time, let me set the pace please.

Pokemon Picross:
3DS free to play game that has a 'just let me pay for the whole game at once and ignore this bullshit energy system please' option that ironically made this free game the most expensive picross title I've ever bought.
Basically just picross with an ftp energy bar, and by completing puzzles you collect pokemon that you can equip and use to ruin the fun of the puzzles with solution revealing assist bombs of various flavours. I was starved of picross content enough to 100% complete the game including the part where I unlocked all the medals which involved repeating already solved puzzles and going ham with all the assist abilities I'd studiously avoided up until that point. If you're new to picross you might like the leeway the assists give you, it's much more potent than the hint roulette in other jupiter picross games. If you have the patience of saint and a 3DS it's basically free picross too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

sponges posted:

Fantastically. Get the collection and don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise.