Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zugzwang posted:

Yes but have you considered that in America, we have freedom?

Ah yes, the sweet freedom to choke on a ventilator nozzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Did anything significant ever come of the "next minktation" or is it just one among probably 20 new strains spreading and brewing up in the North American Plaguelands?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

Did anything significant ever come of the "next minktation" or is it just one among probably 20 new strains spreading and brewing up in the North American Plaguelands?

From what I understand, there's very little genomic sequencing going on in the US so there's not enough data to say one way or another

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

redgubbinz posted:

There's currently 16 genomes for the mink cluster V strain in GISAID, 5 of which were taken from minks. Not sure if other variants are descended from that.

Compare that to 10,209 genomes for B.1.1.7 (the UK strain) and 352 for 501Y.V2 (the South Africa strain). Again, there's obvious bias there in differential rates of sequencing between countries, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gay picnic defence posted:

Ah yes, the sweet freedom to choke on a ventilator nozzle
One of my wife's friends posted on FB yesterday that his dad is now on a ventilator with ARDS and was supposed to get his first vaccine shot next week :smith:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

freebooter posted:

Every country is capable of doing this. Finding it difficult to imagine something happening is not the same as it being impossible.

This is from a few pages ago, but many countries don’t even have the resources to do enough testing, let alone any kind of containment or contact tracing. Nigeria and Indonesia, two of the worlds most populous countries, have positivity rates that fluctuate between 15-30%. The same is true for most of Latin America and Africa, and for many countries there’s not even any data.

Maybe the Australians can go outside and enjoy the covid-free summer instead of making us all dumber with posts like this.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Quote not edit whoops

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Starks posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but many countries don’t even have the resources to do enough testing, let alone any kind of containment or contact tracing. Nigeria and Indonesia, two of the worlds most populous countries, have positivity rates that fluctuate between 15-30%. The same is true for most of Latin America and Africa, and for many countries there’s not even any data.

Maybe the Australians can go outside and enjoy the covid-free summer instead of making us all dumber with posts like this.

Good old capitalism killing local sustainability

If only the rich would lose their heads for unleashing this on the world at once.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

don't worry the South Africa strain is also spreading, and that one is totally more deadly to youth!

Uh does somebody have a source for it being more deadly for kids? My wife and I have both been vaccinated, she just got her 2nd shot and I will soon, but we'll have to change our calculus if this is potentially deadly for kids now. It's not something we've had to worry about yet thank God, I can't imagine if this had been a kid killer. I bet they'd be doing something about it now.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

I thought the point of brexit was to slow trade with its neighbours though..?

The point of brexit is to poo poo on foreign looking people. The conservative mind isn't a deep one.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

D-Pad posted:

Uh does somebody have a source for it being more deadly for kids? My wife and I have both been vaccinated, she just got her 2nd shot and I will soon, but we'll have to change our calculus if this is potentially deadly for kids now. It's not something we've had to worry about yet thank God, I can't imagine if this had been a kid killer. I bet they'd be doing something about it now.

I can't imagine what calculus one would need to change for their kids in light of that, that they shouldn't be doing already.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

I can't imagine what calculus one would need to change for their kids in light of that, that they shouldn't be doing already.

You can't imagine the gvt message for the part year?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

One is in school the same as the majority of the kids in this country. This thing hasn't been killing kids with rare exceptions. If there is a strain deadly to kids I'll take him out of school and I would expect the government would close the schools again anyway but who knows.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ah yes, the sweet freedom to choke on a ventilator nozzle drown in your own lung fluids in the gift shop

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/jan/10/one-in-five-have-had-coronavirus-in-england-new-modelling-says

Herd immunity here we come! Just another 250,000 or so deaths to get there :getin:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

o'er the top, boys!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Starks posted:

And yet all those countries are doing better than the US and the UK

Think you may have missed the point there, champ

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And yet all those countries are doing better than the US and the UK

Think you may have missed the point there, champ

The veracity of that statement aside, the post I quoted clearly said “every country”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Starks posted:

The veracity of that statement aside, the post I quoted clearly said “every country”

I went back and looked and the post they were responding to was specifically talking about "meaningfully shut down travel and enforce quarantines on international arrivals" which every country IS capable of doing but you strawmanned some other poo poo in there and yelled about that instead

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I went back and looked and the post they were responding to was specifically talking about "meaningfully shut down travel and enforce quarantines on international arrivals" which every country IS capable of doing but you strawmanned some other poo poo in there and yelled about that instead

Hope he sees this man. Shoot your shot

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Starks posted:

Every country is indeed capable of closing their borders. It's inherent in the very concept of being a country!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's amazing to me that even with the very diverse array of countries that have handled COVID well - islands or landbound, democracies and dictatorships, large and small - there's an endless litany of excuses for the failed states of the West.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

freebooter posted:

Every country is indeed capable of closing their borders. It's inherent in the very concept of being a country!

Every country did close their borders you dumb island anglo, and they did it before Australia for the most part. It just doesn’t work as well when there isn’t 3 weeks of ocean separating you and everyone else.

It is absolutely hilarious that you have adopted this unique form of nationalism where you reject the idea that a country can have an inherent advantage in defeating the pandemic, and that it’s all because of your big brains instead.

Starks fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 11, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Also lmao that you simultaneously complained about travellers bringing the plague in while saying how easy it is to keep borders closed. Just a real genius guy on here

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What about closing borders "doesn't work as well"? Were people carrying the virus entering the country even though the border was supposed to be closed?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think you will find that very few people enter Australia by boat compared to the number that fly in, and planes certainly don't take 3 weeks (though it might feel like it during the flight)

Also, by boat, the United States is much further away from China than Australia.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 11, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is a pretty funny exchange.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The real thing is that in addition to closing the border to stop new cases coming in, Australia was able to successfully get a lid on internal community transmission. Citizens in other countries should ask themselves why their governments were unwilling to do that (remembering that were all able to do it, they just didn't want to).

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Are these posts the long term negative effects of having covid I keep hearing about?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Starks posted:

Every country did close their borders you dumb island anglo, and they did it before Australia for the most part. It just doesn’t work as well when there isn’t 3 weeks of ocean separating you and everyone else.

It is absolutely hilarious that you have adopted this unique form of nationalism where you reject the idea that a country can have an inherent advantage in defeating the pandemic, and that it’s all because of your big brains instead.

Community transmission from work, school and personal and public gatherings is responsible for almost all infection past patient zero, and that has nothing to do with anything you're talking about.

Why are you being such a loving dipshit about this?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Jabor posted:

The real thing is that in addition to closing the border to stop new cases coming in, Australia was able to successfully get a lid on internal community transmission. Citizens in other countries should ask themselves why their governments were unwilling to do that (remembering that were all able to do it, they just didn't want to).

Sure, which brings us back to:

Starks posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but many countries don't even have the resources to do enough testing, let alone any kind of containment or contact tracing. Nigeria and Indonesia, two of the worlds most populous countries, have positivity rates that fluctuate between 15-30%. The same is true for most of Latin America and Africa, and for many countries there's not even any data.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Starks posted:

Did the UK ever close their border? I thought it’s been open slather from the start.

Anyway the distance to a country doesn’t matter because people fly these days. Vietnam shares a land border with China and still managed to get on top of it despite not being a wealthy western country with massive resources for contact tracing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jabor posted:

What about closing borders "doesn't work as well"? Were people carrying the virus entering the country even though the border was supposed to be closed?

This is what happened in the US. They “closed the borders” and were one of the first to do so but iirc it was only direct flights from China that were stopped, flights full of Chinese that had stopovers weren’t checked and in the meantime the east coast was getting seeded by infected travellers from Italy.

You need to close the borders in a competent way and actually enforce it or it’s just a token gesture. Which brings us back to the incompetence of most western governments in managing the pandemic.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Did the UK ever close their border? I thought it’s been open slather from the start.

Anyway the distance to a country doesn’t matter because people fly these days. Vietnam shares a land border with China and still managed to get on top of it despite not being a wealthy western country with massive resources for contact tracing.

I don't understand why everyone thinks I'm talking about tourists. The vast majority of imports arrive in Australia by sea. They had a rule that cargo ships cannot dock if they have been to another country in the last 14 days. That is a huge advantage compared to a place like Canada where we had tens of thousands of trucks coming in every day from the States to deliver essential goods. That doesn't mean Canada didn't gently caress up its pandemic response, but it certainly means it's harder and more costly to achieve the same results.

I agree that China and Vietnam are the models for a good pandemic response. That's my entire reason for bullying freebooter, who was bragging about how "actually, yeah, you can beat the virus and you don't have to be dictatorial weld-the-doors-closed China to do it". Australia's approach would not be enough in most countries. They have an inherent advantage that allows them to be less strict than most countries would need to be to get rid of it.

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 11, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Starks posted:

I don't understand why everyone thinks I'm talking about tourists. The vast majority of imports arrive in Australia by sea. They had a rule that cargo ships cannot dock if they have been to another country in the last 14 days. That is a huge advantage compared to a place like Canada where we had tens of thousands of trucks coming in every day from the States to deliver essential goods. That doesn't mean Canada didn't gently caress up its pandemic response, but it certainly means it's harder and more costly to achieve the same results.

I agree that China and Vietnam are the models for a good pandemic response. That's my entire reason for bullying freebooter, who was bragging about how "actually, yeah, you can beat the virus and you don't have to be dictatorial weld-the-doors-closed China to do it". Australia's approach would not be enough in most countries. They have an inherent advantage that allows them to be less strict than most countries would need to be to get rid of it.

No. The wildly out of control infection is a failure to prevent community transmission. It has very little to do with reintroduction. How do you not understand this?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Blitter posted:

No, you dopey gently caress, the wildly out of control infection is a failure to prevent community transmission. It has very little to do with reintroduction. How do you not understand this?

I understand that. Please stop trying to troll me by making up stuff I said. Thanks

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Starks posted:

I understand that. Please stop trying to troll me by making up stuff I said. Thanks

Wait, what? You're saying that there is a huge disadvantage for countries like Canada - and its true, in the sense that if we had reduced community transmission to 0, we would have problems of reintroduction from say, truckers and other travellers. That will be something of a happy future problem, and only a significant problem at that point.

Do you know what community transmission means?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Starks posted:

I don’t think there is a rule about not docking, crew just aren’t allowed off the ship. In any case a vast amount of freight comes in by air as well and there’s never been an issue with that. Aircrew on incoming flights are quarantined just like everyone else.

Land transport might be more difficult but I’m sure there’s ways to manage this as Vietnam seems to have. It’s less of an issue than tourism though, you’ve got one driver per truck rather than 100s on a single plane so the chances of bringing the virus into the country are vastly reduced.

FWIW Vietnam never had a lockdown so it is certainly possible to manage the pandemic without draconian measures, or a massive expenditure of resources. Maybe government competence needs to be discussed along with ICU beds, medication and money as resources countries had available to deploy.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Blitter posted:

Wait, what? You're saying that there is a huge disadvantage for countries like Canada - and its true, in the sense that if we had reduced community transmission to 0, we would have problems of reintroduction from say, truckers and other travellers. That will be something of a happy future problem, and only a significant problem at that point.

Do you know what community transmission means?

Jesus christ man. I originally said that most countries don't have the resources to deal with community transmission the way Australia did. The poster I was arguing with said that no, he actually meant that every country can close its borders just like Australia did and keep the virus out, so now we are talking about that. I accepted his premise and chose not to talk about community transmission. So now I am discussing the situation from the perspective of whether Australia also has an advantage in keeping the virus out altogether, in addition to the advantage they have of being a rich country that has the resources to be able to deal with community transmission. And it sounds like you agree with me because that is exactly the hypothetical you describe. So thanks! But I shouldn't have to give you a play-by-play when the posts are right here on the page.

Do not try to strawman by saying Canada is also a rich country because that example was specifically brought up to discuss the border question. I already acknowledged that Canada hosed up its response and there's no excuse for them not doing more contact tracing.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Just wanted to say, thanks thread for the respirator recommendations. I ordered the 3M 6200 and 6300 (wasn't sure about sizing) from Digi-Key and both fit pretty well. With the P100 cartridges, I couldn't smell the smelly salmon my wife was baking, nor could I smell Febreze, so I imagine the fit is good. Now I just need to cover the valve on the front and I'll be good to go. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Between reading the past few pages and Covid, I think I would’ve preferred the virus.

In other news, whoever said the pommy mutant virus wouldn’t last in the Aussie summer heat was right. Brisbane’s lockdown is over as of 6pm tonight as we had 3 days of 0 cases. I must say, I’m really impressed with how compliant everyone was with it, the streets were absolutely empty from the photos I saw. Less impressed with tonnes of people leaving before the 6pm Friday curfew, but wankers will be wankers.

We still have to wear masks for the next 10 days and there’s some other capacity restrictions, but it’s a good step forward and maybe I’ll still get to go see the Van Gogh exhibit interstate in March. :toot: