Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

And hopefully not quite as tall.

Looks about manufacturer sized.

xzzy posted:

In the overhead shot you see three belts and three pipes, two of the belts are clearly working as inputs. It looks like they're feeding in alclad aluminium and heavy frames.. I guess to make the canisters?

So in my scientific opinion it outputs an alternative packaged fuel and some waste fluid.

That recipe could be the new plutonium waste cans, which are either a step in fuel reprocessing or possibly just a more compact way to store nuke waste.

But there's gonna be other new parts in this update that sound like they might use both liquid and solids to assemble, like rocket motors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Batteries for sure; I'm sure the only reason they don't already use sulphuric acid is that they were implemented before it was.

Could easily be part of a revamped nuclear fuel rod recipe (or indeed the plutonium version) and maybe something in the turbo motor chain. Or any number of new tier 7/8 things.

I'm expecting at least one recipe to mix two fluids. It's a blender, after all.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The render enthusiast in me wonders if that is Displacement, Allembic, or possibly even POM being used for the fluid in the tank. All are supported by UE4.

Eh probably rule out Alembic as that would be overkill as there is never a concave shape shown in the video. Displacement seems the most likely.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm betting that anything in T7+ that would reasonably require a liquid and a solid is going to be made by that thing. I hope it has a decently high energy consumption to give a reason to actually make nuclear power.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I decided to deconstruct my original setups because they have gotten too big and messy and lol there are a bunch of those item boxes hovering 3 levels in the air now :haw:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I've dismantled and reassembled the set up around my original iron deposits about 3 times now because of alternate recipes having cleaner numbers for the product I was trying to make

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tenebrais posted:

Batteries for sure; I'm sure the only reason they don't already use sulphuric acid is that they were implemented before it was.

Could easily be part of a revamped nuclear fuel rod recipe (or indeed the plutonium version) and maybe something in the turbo motor chain. Or any number of new tier 7/8 things.

I'm expecting at least one recipe to mix two fluids. It's a blender, after all.

Wondering if this will do anything to replace or adjust the diluted packaged fuel recipe. It's one of the only alts in the game that feels "necessary" to a degree since it massively increases the amount of fuel you can produce from an oil node with the only costs being water, which is basically infinite, and the headache of setting up the empty container loop efficiently. The only reason for it existing in the first place seems to be that there's no building which can mix two fluids together, so you have to go through the convoluted extra steps of packaging water and unpackaging the resulting fuel instead of just mixing the heavy oil residue and water directly. It's also one of the only good reasons to build packagers at all, though maybe they'll add more recipes in update 4 with the introduction of packaged alumina solution and sulfuric acid which necessitate its use.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
New machine, The Blender!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWUBpeSuVI

The next machine will probably have robot arms giving each other high-fives.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Now that my factory gets power without any babysitting I'm loving the exploration. I went on a nice little adventure and found some crash sites, a bunch of slugs, and marked a few resources that'll probably come in handy. I didn't read much about this game going into it and was surprised to run into the desert area. I had no idea each spawn point is all in the same world.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Same, except I also toggled arachnophobia mode on before starting without reading exactly what it did, and when I finally encountered and was attacked by the monster it refers to it was probably scarier than if I had left it off.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Wondering if this will do anything to replace or adjust the diluted packaged fuel recipe. It's one of the only alts in the game that feels "necessary" to a degree since it massively increases the amount of fuel you can produce from an oil node

It's totally not necessary though, for anything but mega-scale production in service of getting the golden nut in a reasonably short timeframe. Nothing in the standard tech progression needs that, and nothing likely will in the future. The game's objective is not the nut, the nut is the optional bonus trophy.

(Also I can't imagine diluted fuel being terribly amazing without the recycled recipes to use the fuel on.)

priznat posted:

I decided to deconstruct my original setups because they have gotten too big and messy and lol there are a bunch of those item boxes hovering 3 levels in the air now :haw:

When using mass deconstruct, everything gets collected into one item box and the last thing you target will be where the box ends up.

(This can actually be used to cheese item transportation a bit, by highlighting some containers over there for deconstructing, then running here to add a random foundation or whatnot to your targets. Presto, everything gets teleported!)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

When using mass deconstruct, everything gets collected into one item box and the last thing you target will be where the box ends up.

(This can actually be used to cheese item transportation a bit, by highlighting some containers over there for deconstructing, then running here to add a random foundation or whatnot to your targets. Presto, everything gets teleported!)

Nice! that would have been good to know, haha.. I will leave them as floating storage bins until I need the contents and build a ladder up to them :haw:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Klyith posted:

It's totally not necessary though, for anything but mega-scale production in service of getting the golden nut in a reasonably short timeframe. Nothing in the standard tech progression needs that, and nothing likely will in the future. The game's objective is not the nut, the nut is the optional bonus trophy.

(Also I can't imagine diluted fuel being terribly amazing without the recycled recipes to use the fuel on.)

None of the alt recipes are really necessary, but Diluted Packaged Fuel stands out as one which is a direct, significant improvement over the standard recipe of turning crude oil straight to fuel with the polymer resin byproduct. To an extent, there isn't a real objective in the game's current form unless you're satisfied with completing the milestones and space elevator deliveries. Once you're done with those and in the endgame, what's left to do besides build some arbitrarily massive project for your own amusement? If whatever project you decide on happens to use oil, you'll almost always want to use the alt recipe.The only reason not to is if you don't have enough grid capacity to power all the additional buildings associated with it or if you simply can't be bothered with the extra effort it requires. It will let you get much higher yield from the recycled rubber/plastic recipes as well as producing a lot more fuel from fewer nodes for any turbo fuel setup you build.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Here's a little tip for faster exploration once you get the jetpack. Deploy an angled jump pad connected to a biomass burner. Put stuff in so the jump pad gets charged. Open the deconstruct tool and select the jump pad and burner for deconstruction, use the jump pad, then deconstruct while flying away on the jetpack.

Also, with the jetpack, you can get a LOT further by just tapping spacebar enough to keep altitude. Holding it down is generally a waste of fuel; rapid taps gets further upward than holding, counter intuitively.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

None of the alt recipes are really necessary, but Diluted Packaged Fuel stands out as one which is a direct, significant improvement over the standard recipe of turning crude oil straight to fuel with the polymer resin byproduct.

All of the oil alternate recipes are productivity multipliers. Every one will produce more output material for the input oil if used, and they all stack their multipliers with the others to varying extents. Diluted heavy just has the highest multiplier of all, at the cost of the highest increase in number of machines required. IMO it's a balanced tradeoff -- it enables massive scale builds, at the cost of requiring a massive scale build.

Anyways, I doubt they're gonna shift diluted fuel into the blender. They just made the packager, and the main reason for the packager to exist was to make diluted heavy a bit less insane. As you said, packaging anything else varies between niche and completely useless.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

what's left to do besides build some arbitrarily massive project for your own amusement?

Build arbitrarily pretty projects
Build arbitrarily complicated projects

Like, no disrespect to your massive factory cubes, but that just ain't for me. What I enjoy doing is creative art + systems design, and that often means I'm forced to think on a smaller scale. Making the things I like to make at 10x the size is more than I can hold in my head.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ambaire posted:

Here's a little tip for faster exploration once you get the jetpack. Deploy an angled jump pad connected to a biomass burner. Put stuff in so the jump pad gets charged. Open the deconstruct tool and select the jump pad and burner for deconstruction, use the jump pad, then deconstruct while flying away on the jetpack.

this but a mk 5 conveyer belt

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

this but a mk 5 conveyer belt

Or, the ultimate mode of transportation, the hypertube cannon. They better not patch those out at any point.

Klyith posted:

Build arbitrarily pretty projects
Build arbitrarily complicated projects

Like, no disrespect to your massive factory cubes, but that just ain't for me. What I enjoy doing is creative art + systems design, and that often means I'm forced to think on a smaller scale. Making the things I like to make at 10x the size is more than I can hold in my head.

With no story or clear objective the game is whatever you want it to be, I guess. Anything you end up making is only for the satisfaction you get from planning out a project and then completing it, then posting pictures of it here or on Reddit so other people can look at it. To some degree I look at Satisfactory as a sort of extremely elaborate idle clicker. As far as built in incentive mechanics go the main one is sink points, so I'm going to make a big factory that generates a ton of points in the most efficient manner possible even though stylistically all my factories are just big boxes with the only attention to cosmetics being windows slapped on the outside. If that's the intention you're going to want to minmax everything to a neurotic degree and try and maximize what you get out of each node, the DPF alternate is basically mandatory for anything involving oil for the same reason you listed in that case. All the alts give you more stuff for your oil, but DPF gives you the MOST stuff for your oil, so it's by definition the best way of setting things up even if it requires like three times as much work as just doing a standard fuel setup.

If you don't care about getting the golden nut, and there's basically no good reason why anyone should, then yeah it's absolutely not going to be worth the effort. Especially if you're actually trying to make your factories look nice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They can patch out hypertube cannons only if they add an equally convenient mode of transport

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Like an actual cannon

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

Any fav Satisfactory streamers? I watched a couple of the “imkibitz” ones, or something like that and I liked his enthusiasm. Some interesting tips for layouts and ideas etc.
I like https://youtube.com/c/Scalti for nice looking layouts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

RichardA posted:

I like https://youtube.com/c/Scalti for nice looking layouts.

very nice!

Man I hope there is a QoL improvement for the power stuff. It really sucks when you are just building away and then something (?) kicks in that was previously idle and woops fuse tripped, and then it is a beeyatch to find the problem.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

how the gently caress do trains work

some of the issues I've had in the game I'm currently doing with some friends:

-the freight box at the platform we're trying to ship from just randomly stopped accepting the items I'm pumping into it
-we can't actually get the train to go between stations (we just have a point to point, not a loop, but there's an engine on each side of the freight car and both stations have a station, a freight platform, and an empty platform)
-in fact, when trying to figure out the time table stuff, one of the two stations just flat out disappeared from the list

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

IcePhoenix posted:

-the freight box at the platform we're trying to ship from just randomly stopped accepting the items I'm pumping into it
-we can't actually get the train to go between stations (we just have a point to point, not a loop, but there's an engine on each side of the freight car and both stations have a station, a freight platform, and an empty platform)
-in fact, when trying to figure out the time table stuff, one of the two stations just flat out disappeared from the list

Yeah, they can be unintuitive. Here’s a quick checklist:

- make sure you have a station at the END of each track, and it points towards the end. There is an orange arrow when you first put the station down, have it point away from your track.
- for a forward/backward train, make sure each loco is pointing in opposite directions.
- each train platform represents one car. For a loco-freight-loco train, you should have a setup the goes <-station-freight-track...track-freight-station->
Note that you don’t need a station per loco at the stops.
- make sure train is powered! You should hook up one end to your grid - the other end can then power satellite facilities. Connect your main station to a power pole. If you try and drive train, and it doesn’t move in either direction, it’s because it’s not powered, even though it says xxxMW draw
- set up the table. Either access a station, or get in the train. Go to schedule, and add both stops to the schedule. Sometimes you might want to switch the order just to get it jumpstarted.
-make sure train is on autopilot. Get into train, hold V, and set to auto
-check track for continuity. Manually drive back and forth between stations, to make sure they are fully connected.

For your freight, I can think of a few things:

1. Make sure while line is powered! I don’t think freight will take cargo if not powered
2. Make sure cargo not full?
3. Make sure freight is set up to load: the button with a box going into the train, on the config should be yellow
4. Check your input/outputs? I know that seems dumb, but sometimes I still try to hook inputs up to teal conveyors by accident.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

One thing to note is that the cargo stations won't accept or output items while the train is loading/unloading. There's a ~15 second animation that will play during which the station is effectively disabled. This is true even if something is stopping the animation playing visually (eg if there are two separate trains at the station). This might be why your station stopped accepting items.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

IcePhoenix posted:

In addition to Dalaram's suggestions, in multiplayer if you have issues, try to have the host do it instead.

I see all the time on reddit etc that the host is the *only* one who can do time tables, which I'm sure is not correct. When I was playing multi, my friend was able to make a time table and have it execute. So it works at least some of the time. But my friend also had a very weird and funny incident where he got abducted by a ghost train. So there are some bugs that only happen to clients.

quote:

It halts the conveyor IO when a train is docking, is that what happened? Or the power issue.

quote:

That sounds like your rails or stations aren't properly connected somewhere or have some hosed up track. You might want to go around with the deconstruct gun out and point at your rail segments to see if you have any that are weird, like you see z-fighting from fully overlapped segments.

I little while ago I saw a thing on the reddit where someone had managed to build normal rail inside his station segments somehow, and it did a weird thing where manually driving the train apparently worked but the autopilot was totally hosed. Build station platforms, then connect rail to either end.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ty all, we've definitely checked most of that but I can use it as a checklist next time we're in game to troubleshoot

the one that specifically really bothers me though is the freight station not accepting stuff because it's getting close to the point where it's going to stop our production (though I mitigated that a little by dropping some storage containers on the conveyor line)

Klyith posted:

It halts the conveyor IO when a train is docking, is that what happened? Or the power issue.

afaik the freight platform doesn't connect to power, does it? and we didn't have a train docking when it started doing it. It happened when I just manually took some of the stuff out of it to bring it back to our base since we couldn't get the train to work

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 10, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

IcePhoenix posted:

afaik the freight platform doesn't connect to power, does it? and we didn't have a train docking when it started doing it.

No but it needs to connect to a station head that has power, either through the rail or wired up. If it wasn't being docked by a train I think you definitely have power or connectivity issues there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Klyith posted:

No but it needs to connect to a station head that has power, either through the rail or wired up. If it wasn't being docked by a train I think you definitely have power or connectivity issues there.

that's weird since it's directly connected to the station, which has power running to it

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is the scale in Satisfactory slightly off? For example, foundations are supposed to be 8 meters square, but based on the size of the player they don't seem anywhere near that big. A 2 meter tall foundation should be very roughly the same height as the player (assuming they're human), but it's not. Not really a big deal, but I was thinking about building a life-size reproduction of something, and that throws a wrench in the plan.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

boxen posted:

Is the scale in Satisfactory slightly off? For example, foundations are supposed to be 8 meters square, but based on the size of the player they don't seem anywhere near that big. A 2 meter tall foundation should be very roughly the same height as the player (assuming they're human), but it's not. Not really a big deal, but I was thinking about building a life-size reproduction of something, and that throws a wrench in the plan.

2 meters is 6'7". Which would be roughly the same height as the player if this was a normal FPS, in which your player model is a burly superman and the camera is placed at about Shaq's eye level.

The Satisfactory player model OTOH is 1.8m tall*, and the FPS camera is placed accurately. It's not that the scaling is off, it's that the FPS convention you're accustomed to is very different.

*tall for a chick, but she's also wearing some big ol boots

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

2 meters is 6'7". Which would be roughly the same height as the player if this was a normal FPS, in which your player model is a burly superman and the camera is placed at about Shaq's eye level.

The Satisfactory player model OTOH is 1.8m tall*, and the FPS camera is placed accurately. It's not that the scaling is off, it's that the FPS convention you're accustomed to is very different.

*tall for a chick, but she's also wearing some big ol boots

Yeah, it's gotta be something with my perception. I was sure you could see over 2m foundations but I just checked and I'm wrong. Maybe a widescreen monitor is screwing with my perception.

Edit: Or the objects being held onscreen.

boxen fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 11, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxh8kvtUuxY

Nitrogen gas coming in update 4 as a new resource node, other gases will be added in the future. Will be transported with pipes but probably won't require headlift like fluids. Special resource nodes as well for water and oil where it sounds like you build a special pressurizing building on a node and then a bunch of nodes for that resource start appearing around it. More oil is certainly good since there are only four concentrations of it on the map currently, whether or not a water node is useful will depend on how much it puts out.

Cool stuff, haven't played much since I finished my last big factory and had to start a new save to have a playable framerate. Going to work through the milestones and set up a big power facility so there's plenty of overhead for whatever else comes next. With what they've shown so far update 4 looks like it's going to be a major change.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I assume this is going to be purely late game?

Cause it would be kinda nice to have a bit more flexibility/choices early on for coal power setups.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ooh, exciting!

They said before they're not making changes to tiers 1-6 so yeah, this'll be late-game stuff. Especially since extracting it looks like it's going to be a bit of a process.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hmmm that looks pretty neat!

Think I will do a new save now too just to start fresh (deconstructing all my old crap is a bit of a hassle) in anticipation of this.

For power prep would it be best to stick with coal for now if they’re going to increase the oil resources anyway?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

For power prep would it be best to stick with coal for now if they’re going to increase the oil resources anyway?

Since they're not changing the earlier tiers, the standard oil extractor is unlikely to change. At tier 7 or 8 (prob 8) they'll add an "Oil Fracker" or something that you can use to get more oil nodes. Basically a mk2 oil extractor.

So no if you're still setting up your first oil production, this won't change it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I can't wait, but I will wait because I don't want to get bored again until it's complete and I can fully finish playing it, finally.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If you want to make the most out of your oil, I would definately reccomend getting on the Turbo-fuel train. You can squeeze so much efficiency from that, it's insane. I hope they don't change the recipe for it though, otherwise I am super screwed.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm waiting because I'm at the point where I'm feeling overwhelmed and am not sure how best to proceed. I've researched all up to tier 6 and just set up my first oil power plant. I'm trying to learn/relearn how to best set up initial smelting/low tier products in that cramped Northwest area with a ton of pure nodes, and how now to set up the train. Also where to finally set up a main factory. Possibly out in the desert since it's just big and open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like that Scalti guy’s youtubes for clean factories but the floating floors aren’t my thing, would probably put in frame foundations at least. The sandwich floors for belting are great though, gonna do that in new builds.