Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Going back into it reminded me of how used I'd gotten to the evolution of idles. Like, it's still charming and has a good setting, but the ui bloats extremely fast even with tooltips and list turned off, the resources quickly become unreadable - sometimes not even visible from where you're spending them - and the reliable classic of me spending my first essences on an artifact that is immediately completely worthless in the following world.
Honestly, I think I've started this game like half a dozen times and I do it every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

as far as I can tell the main thing the mod does is nerf the hell out of the recycler so it takes ages to close out a run.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

edgeman83 posted:

I am really interested in this. Shark Game is one of the best feeling incrementals, but the original game only lasts a couple of hours before it becomes too samey.

:dadjoke: :same:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

something posted:

forgot to post here but:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1433990/NGU_INDUSTRIES/

I finally got the store page for industries up on steam!

wishlists/follows help a lot :)

Please add a way to buy cosmetics (if there are any) without obtaining premium currency. I'd have dropped a tenner a year ago for NGU Idle, but I'm too set in my ways to budge on that issue.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

as far as I can tell the main thing the mod does is nerf the hell out of the recycler so it takes ages to close out a run.
Yeah I'm hoping there's content hiding like new artifacts or something cause it's basically just a giant recycler nerf so far which... well, it's still shark game, so it's still fun, but it's not made any more fun.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah I'm hoping there's content hiding like new artifacts or something cause it's basically just a giant recycler nerf so far which... well, it's still shark game, so it's still fun, but it's not made any more fun.

I think the idea is that to start, the excessively rewarding loops for recycling needed to be nerfed first in order to make anything else meaningful, so that's an annoying first step.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

something posted:

forgot to post here but:

Idk if you'll ever see this but how much of an effort would it be to approve NGU/NGUI for Steam on GeForce Now?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Blattdorf posted:

Please add a way to buy cosmetics (if there are any) without obtaining premium currency. I'd have dropped a tenner a year ago for NGU Idle, but I'm too set in my ways to budge on that issue.

the whole point of the sellout shop (and thus all things it offers, both cosmetic and non cosmetic) is that it uses AP, which you can earn ingame, so I'm not sure I understand.

if you mean remove AP as a concept then idk what to say. it's literally how i earn a living.

Lib and let die posted:

Idk if you'll ever see this but how much of an effort would it be to approve NGU/NGUI for Steam on GeForce Now?

dunno unless i applied which i feel like that program is looking for more... "professional" games?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

something posted:

the whole point of the sellout shop (and thus all things it offers, both cosmetic and non cosmetic) is that it uses AP, which you can earn ingame, so I'm not sure I understand.

if you mean remove AP as a concept then idk what to say. it's literally how i earn a living.

I think they have some aversion to premium currency as a concept and would like to things sold in the sellout shop for 100k AP OR $1 (or whatever the correct conversion is) so they can just spend a dollar rather than converting it to premium currency first?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I interpreted it as not wanting to «cheat» by buying a progress boosting currency and only wanting the cosmetics.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
well then sorry to say, that won't happen. The AP system is sort of NGU's thing, plus is a handy way to streamline $$$ => prices of individual Sellout shop objects while also letting you earn them for free.

edit: well then, you just buy the cosmetic stuff in the shop and leave the functional stuff alone, no?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

something posted:

well then sorry to say, that won't happen. The AP system is sort of NGU's thing, plus is a handy way to streamline $$$ => prices of individual Sellout shop objects while also letting you earn them for free.

edit: well then, you just buy the cosmetic stuff in the shop and leave the functional stuff alone, no?

Just offer a cosmetic DLC pack that will unlock all cosmetic DLC that will ever be released. Charge like half of what you think you will charge in game. Or bundle the cosmetics into DLC packs. (and if you already own it and the DLC then you get the AP)

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
i mean i can likely do that, i just don't quite get how that changes the end result of $ for thing?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

i mean i can likely do that, i just don't quite get how that changes the end result of $ for thing?

it doesn't some people just have mental hang ups with this stuff. Other games do this for the same reason, it gets more buys.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bedurndurn posted:

I really wish the 'show descriptions' thing actually told you what resources a thing would produce and consume. It wasn't too bad on the first go around, but gently caress me if I know what the half-dozen new critters I found on the second reset do, so I'm just clicking 'more numbers' and hoping for the best.

Would something like this help?

Because if it would, some really awesome programmer implemented that. I swear it's not me, I can't program for poo poo.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

pixaal posted:

it doesn't some people just have mental hang ups with this stuff. Other games do this for the same reason, it gets more buys.

It really absolutely doesn't. Games that charge for microtransactions use their own flavor of points explicitly because it's an easier purchase to make. Most people are more willing to spend $10 on some points and then buy what they want or save some for when something cool goes on sale, and disconnects the whole "you're paying $10 for your character to be a different shade of purple". The people with a dumb hangup of not spending money specifically because they don't want to buy points, they want to buy a thing directly, are in a pretty extreme minority. If this wasn't the case then the hugest microtransaction-heavy games on the market like League of Legends wouldn't be using Riot Points.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

something posted:

forgot to post here but:

Thanks for posting. Just to check - this won't be playable on MacOS, it seems? So without Kong I'm out of luck this time around?

Anyway: friendly request for MacOS version, if you're able, but good luck either way!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It really absolutely doesn't. Games that charge for microtransactions use their own flavor of points explicitly because it's an easier purchase to make. Most people are more willing to spend $10 on some points and then buy what they want or save some for when something cool goes on sale, and disconnects the whole "you're paying $10 for your character to be a different shade of purple". The people with a dumb hangup of not spending money specifically because they don't want to buy points, they want to buy a thing directly, are in a pretty extreme minority. If this wasn't the case then the hugest microtransaction-heavy games on the market like League of Legends wouldn't be using Riot Points.

I am saying offering both gets more. These games do tend to offer holiday bundles that are cash only no points.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
All of you are thinking too hard about it. I literally just want to give you $10 without anything in return. The experience itself is valuable enough to me. As it is now, I'll just wait until I complete the game and then make a purchase, so I won't feel like I'm skipping ahead. A cosmetic - just the cosmetic - is a neat trade-off in case you feel like that's unfair.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So like being able to buy the "put your name in the itopod" thingy but without any AP or other bonuses attached?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
also based on that post, you might say that the whole game is cosmetic. Just give 4g everything you can afford and don't sweat it. None of the cash purchases in NGU change the game in any true sense - they just decrease some of the waits.

If you're new-ish, those waits will be 3+ years, so give 4g all your cash and get back to living.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Cobalt60 posted:

also based on that post, you might say that the whole game is cosmetic. Just give 4g everything you can afford and don't sweat it. None of the cash purchases in NGU change the game in any true sense - they just decrease some of the waits.

If you're new-ish, those waits will be 3+ years, so give 4g all your cash and get back to living.

I've been playing - or idling - since the game appeared on Steam. I'm already within striking distance of Titan 10, and I only clicked a few boxes once a day. Only the challenges required some active participation.
I don't play idle games to drop money in order to cut down on waiting times. If I actually feel like doing this, then there's something wrong with the game's design. NGU Idle is a cool game for cool people and I've never had an inkling of this. There's always something to shoot for that doesn't take weeks.

Jabor posted:

So like being able to buy the "put your name in the itopod" thingy but without any AP or other bonuses attached?

Yes. That's a fun one.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm about to unlock Complexity in FE000000 and this is definitely scratching some primal itch seeing number continually go up

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lilli posted:

Has anyone checked out Progress Knight? Seems like its in the same vein as Theory of Magic or Groundhog Life. Not terribly far into it yet, but its been decent so far.

https://ihtasham42.github.io/progress-knight/

Am I missing something with this game? I've been playing it for several days, but I can't break through the Apprentice Mage ranks fast enough to get the second magic skill before I die of old age. I've been doing the non-military jobs for money, but the merchant only gives enough for the first few tiers of houses and a personal servant for happiness boost. Should I be focusing on military while knocking out the concentration and meditation skills instead?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The military jobs in general seem way better, I don't think there's any reason to do the civilian jobs at all.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

Am I missing something with this game? I've been playing it for several days, but I can't break through the Apprentice Mage ranks fast enough to get the second magic skill before I die of old age. I've been doing the non-military jobs for money, but the merchant only gives enough for the first few tiers of houses and a personal servant for happiness boost. Should I be focusing on military while knocking out the concentration and meditation skills instead?

Yes, Military is the highest paying profession once you get into the higher levels.

The only use for the civilian jobs is like the first run-through of a new evil cycle.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
Not only are there Military jobs that start at a higher income than Merchant (the highest Common job), but they also scale better. Job levels have both increasing XP costs (like everything else in the game) but also diminishing coin per second per level returns (by the time you even get to 10 in any given job levels are almost worthless), but Strength only has the increasing costs (at the same level of the same job, one Strength level is always going to be worth the same amount of coin per second).

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
cirral, shark game guy, posted here a lot when he was doing the game but they have a real life so he got done. always said it was fun and would do it again so hopefully that's what's going on.

whatup cirral you a real og

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Finally got the RadLands set on NGU.

I was planning on hanging around in evil until I get every evil challenge/perk/quest and wish.

Is that overkill for preparing for Sadistic or should I just make the jump once I get enough stats (I've not checked what they are).

Also are the Mayo fruits not really worth it? I've got a bunch of them up to about level 13 and noticed they only gave me 0.57 mayo or some such.

I'm assuming it goes up to 1 which isn't really much vs what I'm getting already I think.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kin posted:

Also are the Mayo fruits not really worth it? I've got a bunch of them up to about level 13 and noticed they only gave me 0.57 mayo or some such.

I'm assuming it goes up to 1 which isn't really much vs what I'm getting already I think.

they're a small % even at 24, don't worry about it other than :redborder:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah, went reading up on it after my post and they're influenced by mayo speed perks rather than fruit reward multipliers or something right.

With mayo generation being 1 per hour (split across the ones you select), do you ever get up to 6 simultaneous generators and then boosts to it to bring the rate back up to 1 mayo per hour for every active generator?

Basically, boosting the generator to the equivalent of generating 6 mayo an hour.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I recently started playing Evolve and while I enjoyed it at the start it has slowed down way more than I can enjoy. It seems to fall into the same problem Kittens game did except it doesn't seem like there's even offline progression.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

moush posted:

I recently started playing Evolve and while I enjoyed it at the start it has slowed down way more than I can enjoy. It seems to fall into the same problem Kittens game did except it doesn't seem like there's even offline progression.

It's kittens game with races that give bonuses for completing them. So you get more and more bonuses while picking which ones you want. It's intended to be checked in on like once an hour or so from what I remember, but I also remember setting up overnight runs with it when I played.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I had almost everything in Evolve gold-starred after like a year and a half of playing, then one day I accidentally imported an old save file after a few weeks on vacation and erased like six months of gameplay. Closed the browser and I'll probably never look at that game again :smith:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I think I posted it in this thread, but Evolve is the idle game I found fun ONLY after learning how to cheat. Let me know if you'd like me to paste notes on the script I used, but it essentially lets you skip just-plain-waiting components of the game, so you can enjoy the progress at any pace you want.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Like it's spiritual predecessor, Kittens, Evolve is a game best played at 10-20x tick speed.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
In Shark Game, any tips for getting to the 1B / 10B researches? I haven't even come close yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

In Shark Game, any tips for getting to the 1B / 10B researches? I haven't even come close yet.

Most of the time you don't want or need them. But if a run is dragging that long you generally recycle fish and clams into kelp and dissect the resulting sea apples.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've been meaning to ask, but in NGU can you savescum the Money Pit rewards to get the one you want. I'm at the end of evil so have more than enough gold to get any of the tier rewards i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

I've been meaning to ask, but in NGU can you savescum the Money Pit rewards to get the one you want. I'm at the end of evil so have more than enough gold to get any of the tier rewards i think.

As far as I know you can't. I assume it uses a static randomness seed but I don't know for sure.