Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Just as I was finishing this guy, I thought, "I bet white shoulderpads / knee pads would look baller" so I guess that'll be my next "Proof Of Concept" model, but I finally finished (sans base) my first model of the year and got 4 more half way done.

I've decided to airbrush as much as I can just to learn the tool; the cool thing with Death Guard is that any overspray can just be covered up with some grime / weathering techniques :downs:

e; man Turbodork paints are hard to photo well :v: Looks less goofy IRL

Far enough along with my second test model last night, really happy with how much better it looks than just going All Turbodork sans trim pieces.

As previously noted, it's really hard to get good quality close up shots; the lighting just washes out the color shift and just makes the top of things look grainy and gray. Second photo is taken a bit further away with my painting lights off and overall looks truer to real life I guess.

At table distance it actually looks very cool and makes you want to pick it up for a closer look. So far I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming along.

But drat, I'll finish up painting all of the bells and tentacles, then move on to another part and-- drat IT I MISSED A loving BELL/TENTACLE :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've been working on a Fortune Hunters force for DeepWars. When I saw the submarine I fell instantly in love, and just had to break out the brass and work out how to get that proper steampunk patina. 19th century diving suits are such lovely material, and the bases!

Pity about the frosting on the submarine's canopy, but otherwise I'm really proud of these guys and I learned a lot painting them.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How sturdy are bases done up with those crackle medium paints once they've been varnished? I wouldn't expect them to take a lot of direct contact even for tabletop use, but is it gonna be some annoying thing where even transporting minis risks having it all slough off if it gets jostled a little bit, or is it pretty secure?

I've heard a good trick for protecting crackle bases is a thin layer of pva glue and water over the top after it's painted.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I've been working on a Fortune Hunters force for DeepWars. When I saw the submarine I fell instantly in love, and just had to break out the brass and work out how to get that proper steampunk patina. 19th century diving suits are such lovely material, and the bases!

Pity about the frosting on the submarine's canopy, but otherwise I'm really proud of these guys and I learned a lot painting them.

These are great! Thanks for posting them, I hadn't heard of this game.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sab669 posted:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults/?q=reaper+base

They have a decent assortment of sizes. If I search for simply "32mm" the only hits I get are GW fancy bases, unfortunately.

I know most my LGSs just sell loose individual bases of various sizes from some random supplier. Perhaps you can call around locally?

e; lots more options from Reaper on their actual website - https://www.reapermini.com/search/bases

Just FYI, the Reaper bases have straight veridical sides as opposed to the sloping sides that GW bases have.
Not a big deal if you're using them for DnD or across your whole army, but they will look out of place if you mix them with GW bases.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you want cheap bases just get them off ebay, you can get almost any GW size in the exact GW style for dirt cheap.

Here is a seller I can vouch for being quality bases.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tg-base/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Anyone else go through bouts where they don't feel like painting, but they want to get something done, so they paint, and they're not happy with how it turns out, but then they're like "gently caress it, it's done I guess" and plop it on the shelf, and then feel bad about their entire painting hobby as if it's a sham?

Just me?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Not just you.

My 3D printer has helped with that immensely, because I can still 'be productive' by printing some new minis to taunt me by not being painted yet.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Anyone else go through bouts where they don't feel like painting, but they want to get something done, so they paint, and they're not happy with how it turns out, but then they're like "gently caress it, it's done I guess" and plop it on the shelf, and then feel bad about their entire painting hobby as if it's a sham?

Just me?

Hell, this just happened to me with painting up a tau piranha. I just didn't give a gently caress about completing it and put in the least amount of effort I felt was necessary.

I get this with guitar sometimes. It's just what happens when you force yourself to do something you don't really want to do, and don't feel that muse inspiration. The best thing I can say is to relax and do something else. Do another thing that's enjoyable while you search for your drive to do this task. I just went a few weeks not even touching a guitar to getting back to playing for about 2 hours a day just messing around without a clear goal other than "make melodic blackened punk riffs in E major" that I don't even remember the next day because I thought it was fun to do something different.

Or just do as much as you feel like per sitting and slowly grind out a task. Put on a base coat then call it a day. Do all the initial color blocking then call it a day. Do the highlights then call it a day. Base it then call it a day. Wait hold up, I now have a finished model? Yeah sure it took 4 days, but it's a finished model. Any paint on a model is progress

Don't feel like you have to keep up with the rest of the internet in painting speed and progress, go at your own pace. If you don't feel like putting paint on plastic today, then don't. But if you feel like doing it one day then after a short while feel the wind in your sails start to peter out, don't feel bad. It happens. Put the brush down, and find something else that's relaxing. It's cool to have goals for painting but don't feel like you have to have to stick to those plans at all costs. I wanted to get 1000 points painted by the new year but didn't feel like painting in the last two days, so I painted up the last model over the weekend after new years and hit my little goal on the sunday before my vacation ended. It felt pretty good and I decided to take a break from painting for a little bit because holy poo poo I painted up 1000 points of space wolves in about two weeks.

My suggestion for inspiration or how to get the energy to get things accomplished: gently caress, I don't know. Everyone's different. What drives me is likely nothing like what drives anyone else, and maybe other people's inspiration is my deterrent. I don't know. But whatever. I do want to say this: that I do feel way more productive when I'm in a good, happy, non-morose mood. Everything feels like it sucks lately. Between friends and coworkers/bosses of mine that just don't give a gently caress about COVID, everything political, and just general loving life, it can sometimes be too much. But little rays of sunshine cause the mist of sadness to burn away, and I try to relish in those little moments when they come around.

So go for a walk, listen to an album as loud as you can, watch a movie, make dumb jokes with some friends online about trump acting like a shitbird permabanned SA poster constantly reregging then getting instant banned. Find something that will feel better and hold onto those moments. They'll get you back on track, so when things start to feel right your sense of accomplishment will come back.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished the next two Intercessor battle bros in my slowly building Fortis Killteam:

Group shot of the Watch models I've completed so far:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Crossposting from the 40K thread. Among the many Warhammer items I got for Xmas this year was a Chaos Predator for my Thousand Sons which I’ve been working on. Unfortunately while it’s sponson guns are now finished I won’t be able to take decent pictures for another week, so here’s a WIP.

It’s fully magnetised, so I can swap out the main turret gun and sponson guns (or lose them entirely) for some decent flexibility. I’ll be adding some Stirland Mud to the tracks once I can get hold of some.

So I have the Rhino Chassis Trifecta (Rhino, predator and vindicator) for my Thousand Sons next on the pile of shame and have been trying to figure out what I was going to do as the gold portions. I like what you did here, so I am keeping it as inspiration. Especially the Lights, I probably would have kept them blue before seeing what you did here.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Finished the next two Intercessor battle bros in my slowly building Fortis Killteam:

Group shot of the Watch models I've completed so far:

Your paints in the background make a really nice gradient :v:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

This is my first human face since I started painting recently. I just need some decals for the sides of the bikes and the shoulder pads, I apparently threw out my transfers from the indomitus set T_T

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
drat dude, please tell me you're a professional artist or something because that face is better than anything I've done and I've been painting for years.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Some really good poo poo being posted on this page. I’ll never not be jealous of goon mini painters.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Verisimilidude posted:

I started painting recently

What the gently caress

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

This is my first human face since I started painting recently. I just need some decals for the sides of the bikes and the shoulder pads, I apparently threw out my transfers from the indomitus set T_T

Care to explain that base, which has miraculous verisimilitude?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What's the recipe on that skin tone? it's entirely too good.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Everyone's posts in here are so inspiring, and there's a lot of great advice, so thank you all so much.

I started painting for the first time in September and it's been a great way to spend time in lockdown. I've mostly been painting Age of Sigmar lizard boys, with some light kitbashing which I'm really enjoying too.

Thought I'd share a pic of my fave completed models so far, to encourage other newbies to share too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Care to explain that base, which has miraculous verisimilitude?

it's golden crackle paste painted and drybrushed, then covered with a layer of dark red ochre pigment powder

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's the recipe on that skin tone? it's entirely too good.

it's guilliman flesh over a zenithal highlight, then highlighted with AP tanned flesh, AP Moon Dust Yellow and the 5-o-clock shadow is AP tanned flesh and a little drakenhof nightshade mixed together. The scar is just a thin line of guilliman flesh.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Verisimilidude posted:

This is giving me awesome 2000 AD vibes

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Werix posted:

So I have the Rhino Chassis Trifecta (Rhino, predator and vindicator) for my Thousand Sons next on the pile of shame and have been trying to figure out what I was going to do as the gold portions. I like what you did here, so I am keeping it as inspiration. Especially the Lights, I probably would have kept them blue before seeing what you did here.

Thanks, originally there wasn’t going to be so much gold. However there’s no non-contrast equivalent for my main colour, and despite trying a number of methods people tout on the internet about getting contrast to look good on large flat surfaces I wasn’t at all happy with the result. I ended up hiding it with more going and some weathering, and ultimately it looks consistent with my Land Raider.

It’s all finished aside from some mud I intend to add to the tracks when my Stirland Mud arrives.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

First model of 2021 done.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cooked Auto posted:

First model of 2021 done.

Holy poo poo his cape is amazing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

On a roll today, finished off my second Herald of Tzeentch.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

That is some pop you got in your colour scheme :eyepop:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I asked this question a while ago, but I'm having trouble finding replies to it. But basically, I'm feeling like I want to paint some generic monster minis for my Gloomhaven game. Things like wolves, skeletons, cultists, etc. I don't have a 3D printer so I can't make any of the custom ones people have made. I think the answer I got before was to look into Reaper minis, is that right?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I asked this question a while ago, but I'm having trouble finding replies to it. But basically, I'm feeling like I want to paint some generic monster minis for my Gloomhaven game. Things like wolves, skeletons, cultists, etc. I don't have a 3D printer so I can't make any of the custom ones people have made. I think the answer I got before was to look into Reaper minis, is that right?

Someone on BGG did that and made a list of inexpensive miniatures for it. It's quite a project: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1726312/replacing-gloomhaven-standees-and-tokens-inexpensi

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Holy poo poo his cape is amazing.

It's a coat drat it.
But thanks. :)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

wip on the primaris captain

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That white is so nice and I love the green lining, what did you use for the green?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nvm. Missread

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Verisimilidude posted:

wip on the primaris captain

The look of the colours of this model make my eyes so happy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a coat drat it.
But thanks. :)

Well in that case it's awful!

Nah it's good. I just forgot the word for a second.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
That is such an understated stylized look, really beautiful.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

That white is so nice and I love the green lining, what did you use for the green?

that's gryph charger grey! I may switch it out for a pin wash once I feel comfortable with those. I'll try them out on a regular space marine

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Nah it's good. I just forgot the word for a second.

It's fine. Someone remarked the same thing to me earlier so you weren't alone with it. :cheeky:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

that's gryph charger grey! I may switch it out for a pin wash once I feel comfortable with those. I'll try them out on a regular space marine

Interesting, I'll have to check that out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Your paints in the background make a really nice gradient :v:

Ha, ya I should probably move those paints out of the way before I take future pictures.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

That's a very nice looking Mac Tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Crosspost from 40K thread:

Captain Magic posted:

Six months after buying some, I’ve finally finished—or at least “finished, good enough”—my first DW space marine (and miniature, I guess):

Why has this taken me six months? Well, job and poo poo, but also...he’s got some friends on the ol’ assembly line...

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 11, 2021