Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

sponges posted:

I somehow never played those 3D Mario games back in the day. How they hold up?

There are some parts that are dated, like mario 64's camera, but they've held up shockingly well and are absolutely delightful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah it’s not to be missed, they’re fantastic games

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My first MH game was MHW on PS4. I had a few friends strongly recommend it to me. I tried it out, thought it was confusing and awful.

Then I picked it up again a few weeks later and put over 500 hours into it, neglecting the rest of the PS4 games I bought to try out this whole console thing.

It's weird, but I almost think the fact that the game doesn't tell you anything about how it plays or how to do things has to be an intentional decision at this point. Like, barely any mechanics are ever explained in game. Even the moves your weapons do aren't all detailed in the in-game weapon manuals. I had to look up a ton of stuff out of game just to learn how to play it, which is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Thing is, for those who do enjoy it... it's freakishly addictive and fun. I messed around with the demo briefly on my wife's switch and now I'm probably going to pick up my own just so we don't have to juggle the one console back and forth between us.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mr Phillby posted:

PictoQuest however I found kinda lacking. There's no world map or exploration and even less of a story than in PiczleCross. You progress along a mario style stage select map and basically play standard picross puzzles with a fairly inconsequential battle system on top.

PictoQuest is pretty meh, though it has some fantastic music which nobody has uploaded to Youtube, which is a drat shame.

quote:

If you have the patience of saint and a 3DS it's basically free picross too.

In addition to Pokemon Picross, there's also the Twilight Princess Picross game for 1000 Platinum Points on the My Nintendo site. It's a lot of fun and also basically free.

I think Pokemon Picross was the last one to have Micross puzzles which I miss, Clip Picross just isn't as good imo.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

sponges posted:

I somehow never played those 3D Mario games back in the day. How they hold up?

Galaxy is still lightning in a bottle, Sunshine is still mostly good with a bit of "when it's bad, it's really bad" (it looks soooooo much better in 16:9 too, like holy poo poo), I don't think 64 aged particularly well and got bored with the remaster quickly but I enjoyed it enough as a teenager that it was the first game I ever 100%ed so maybe it'll be more fun for someone who's never played before :shrug: I'm in a small minority in this thread on 64

Honestly if you never got the chance to play Galaxy, I'd say that alone is worth the cost

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

Is the HH rework good? That’s my go to weapon
it is bonkers good :sax:

they reworked everything - but in a way that still feels mostly familiar. Your standard attacks (left swing, right swing, overhead slam and over-the-back slam) are still there but now they all combo into attack strings, and pretty fast attack strings too. There is no recital or encore anymore, your R2 button does a breakdance (with iframes!) and plays the self improvement tune. To play songs all you have to do is press a button twice. X followed by X, you just played a song. A followed by A, you just played a song. Coupled with the new fluid attack strings you'll just have 100% uptime of all songs without effort.

as someone who has loved the hunting horn forever, I am blown away by these changes. It's so fun to use!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Bloop posted:

After playing a little more... i still feel the same way.

I feel like there's a LOT that's not presented here and like this demo is for MH fans to get hyped but it will probably have the opposite effect on MH noobs which is a pretty strange marketing decision

You're not wrong. They're generally there to hype you up and get you back into the saddle and help you see what's new, not win new converts.

Another key Monster Hunter thing is that you are supposed to grow as a player over the course of a game, and it's going to be hard and even daunting at times.

Then one day you'll find yourself running naked at a dinosaur ten times your size; with a shark in one hand and a no-fishing sign in the other, you drop that fucker without taking a single hit.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I didn't play HH in world because I saw on wiki some long complicated combos and thought nah I'll never learn to play effectively.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Fun Times! posted:

I didn't play HH in world because I saw on wiki some long complicated combos and thought nah I'll never learn to play effectively.

not with that attitude!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sitting on 10 hours waiting for that Walmart deal to confirm/deny my purchase BUT I WILL NOT GIVE IN

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao playing the Monster Hunter Rise demo with the dual blades and my character keeps on screaming "BRACE YOURSELVES!" and "HE"S UP TO SOMETHING!" at the top of their lungs like a goddamn lunatic. I love it.

Game seems really good, I'm glad to see it controls just as fluidly as World did. Great music too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Poque posted:

Sitting on 10 hours waiting for that Walmart deal to confirm/deny my purchase BUT I WILL NOT GIVE IN

Same here. Not looking good though :(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Heads up, there's only a few hours left in the Tetris 99 tournament, better hop on that if you want the new Kirby skin.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've got two separate orders pending and locked at step 1. One via CC and the other via Paypal. Have since verified my email (though it didn't matter for previous orders).

Not holding my breath anymore, but :allears:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will also say, the difficulty of the MH demo doesn't really reflect the actual difficulty of the game. Gear is bad, skills are honestly probably not present at all. If you can kill Arzuros, he's about the right baseline difficulty for the gear you are wearing.

I've lanced down roughly 500 Rathaloses in my day, and he's tough in the demo. By the time you are fighting him in the proper game, it feels very different.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Also waiting on 70 nintendobux I do not expect to recieve.

Forget the exact term from MHW but there was a distinction you'd hit roughly halfway through the progression that was like basic vs. advanced versions of hunts and even deep into the game if you were going to craft the first upgrades to a weapon you hadn't been using before you might actually need to pick the basic version to get the basic type of monster parts rather than the advanced type. Not a huge deal cause you'd accumulate a lot of various monster parts just in the course of doing business but when you did need something you weren't already holding and had no choice but to waste some time fighting some basic kind of monster that was no challenge to you it would be kind of annoying. Is it known if that is a thing that will also be in MHR?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Also waiting on 70 nintendobux I do not expect to recieve.

Forget the exact term from MHW but there was a distinction you'd hit roughly halfway through the progression that was like basic vs. advanced versions of hunts and even deep into the game if you were going to craft the first upgrades to a weapon you hadn't been using before you might actually need to pick the basic version to get the basic type of monster parts rather than the advanced type. Not a huge deal cause you'd accumulate a lot of various monster parts just in the course of doing business but when you did need something you weren't already holding and had no choice but to waste some time fighting some basic kind of monster that was no challenge to you it would be kind of annoying. Is it known if that is a thing that will also be in MHR?
That's high rank, and almost certainly, they all have that

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Sorry to continue the derail, but if someone would've showed me this a year ago, they couldn't pay me to believe that this was possible on the next Monster Hunter game, let alone a handheld version.

https://i.imgur.com/JVRSPCL.mp4

:allears:

Your Computer posted:

as someone who has loved the hunting horn forever, I am blown away by these changes.

:buddy:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

PictoQuest is pretty meh, though it has some fantastic music which nobody has uploaded to Youtube, which is a drat shame.

In addition to Pokemon Picross, there's also the Twilight Princess Picross game for 1000 Platinum Points on the My Nintendo site. It's a lot of fun and also basically free.

I think Pokemon Picross was the last one to have Micross puzzles which I miss, Clip Picross just isn't as good imo.
Wow I don't remember Micross at all, wonder if I completely missed it or just totally forgot about it.

Poque posted:

drat, I got mine in 10 minutes. I used PayPal but guess that's not the trick for everyone. I saw someone had to approve the charge on their credit card/bank side of things.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

The Bloop posted:

After playing a little more... i still feel the same way.

I feel like there's a LOT that's not presented here and like this demo is for MH fans to get hyped but it will probably have the opposite effect on MH noobs which is a pretty strange marketing decision

Seems about right, after playing the demo I reinstalled MHW and now I am floundering with controls since on the switch Y and A are attacks and on steam it's X and B and it's not easily rebind able...

Edit: the more i think about it this might be steam fuckery with the 8bit controller since it's switch layout but on PC I connect it with Xbox mode

porkinson fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 11, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Wrestling Empire is out, there's a demo and launch discount:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wrestling-empire-switch/

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

japtor posted:

Is this available in Europe? I am in Germany and it still just says its released on 11th and i cant even find a listing on the EU eshop

How much is the launch discount?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s out in Europe, I bought it on the stroke of midnight :v:

Launch discount is €16, down from 20

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s out in Europe, I bought it on the stroke of midnight :v:

Launch discount is €16, down from 20

Is it....good?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

From what I’ve played so far, yep. It’s super silly.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

japtor posted:

Hell yessss can't wait to re-make and follow the career of our house champion of N64 Wrestlemania, Devinnal J!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbbKsAZatao

I spent...way too long customizing my character. Partially due to the number of options, partially the interesting UI choices, but it works. Then in my first match got thrown out the ring but recovered in time to grab a chair and wail on my opponent, then ran and jumped off the steps with a 450 or something, and won by count out. Then beat up the ref and threw him out of the ring.

There's some nuance to the controls I don't know yet cause you can set up like 50 moves for your character and most of what I've done is basically just wail on someone or run and attack, and grapple...then stuff.

edit: oh newLegacy is streaming it (they did the rumble and other videos posted before):
https://www.twitch.tv/newlegacyinc

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

japtor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbbKsAZatao

I spent...way too long customizing my character. Partially due to the number of options, partially the interesting UI choices, but it works. Then in my first match got thrown out the ring but recovered in time to grab a chair and wail on my opponent, then ran and jumped off the steps with a 450 or something, and won by count out. Then beat up the ref and threw him out of the ring.

There's some nuance to the controls I don't know yet cause you can set up like 5b0 moves for your character and most of what I've done is basically just wail on someone or run and attack, and grapple...then stuff.

edit: oh newLegacy is streaming it (they did the rumble and other videos posted before):
https://www.twitch.tv/newlegacyinc

Oh woof, that certainly sounds like it qualifies as good in my books! Unfortunately it looks like its not available in germany. 🤠🤷🏻‍♂️

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Science_enthusiast posted:

Oh woof, that certainly sounds like it qualifies as good in my books! Unfortunately it looks like its not available in germany. 🤠🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh no, might be the Germany uh violent games thing? (if that's still a thing). Maybe he can just take out the blood/gore option.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Given that he uses the three lions song for his trailer I am going to assume it is on purpose 🤡

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Science_enthusiast posted:

Given that he uses the three lions song for his trailer I am going to assume it is on purpose 🤡

Hahaha

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
wrestling empire has a demo and it makes no loving sense i'm thinking about getting it

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
This might be an odd question, but for anyone that just couldn't get into Stardew Valley at first, was there anything that helped make it click for you? I'm desperate for a "chill on the couch with an undocked Switch" game, and I've only put 5 hours into Stardew when it came out and put it down since.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

BisterdDave posted:

This might be an odd question, but for anyone that just couldn't get into Stardew Valley at first, was there anything that helped make it click for you? I'm desperate for a "chill on the couch with an undocked Switch" game, and I've only put 5 hours into Stardew when it came out and put it down since.

For me it was when i started getting wise to the economy of the game, for example what raw materials can be refined into products that sell for a lot. And what i need to build in order to be able to refine this or that. Like once you are saving up for something and scheming how to get the cash in the quickest way.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Modding it to make everything a bit speedier, which doesn't really solve the problem for you.

What problem are you having with the game? Rune Factory 4 is more anime but has great characters (with tons of unique dialogue vs stardew's five lines per character) and better gameplay (combat especially). Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is a remake of the OG farming life game (not really but everyone like this one better than the SNES one) and it's pretty good, even if the art style is very YMMV.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

porkinson posted:

Seems about right, after playing the demo I reinstalled MHW and now I am floundering with controls since on the switch Y and A are attacks and on steam it's X and B and it's not easily rebind able...

Edit: the more i think about it this might be steam fuckery with the 8bit controller since it's switch layout but on PC I connect it with Xbox mode

That sounds like fuckery to me, because the default controls in MonHuns have been the same in every one I've played (Started with 3U). Top button and right hand buttons are your attacks, left hand button is sheathe, bottom button to dodge.

In World at least the buttons are fully rebindable. I would hope the same will be true in Rise.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

lunar detritus posted:

Modding it to make everything a bit speedier, which doesn't really solve the problem for you.

What problem are you having with the game? Rune Factory 4 is more anime but has great characters (with tons of unique dialogue vs stardew's five lines per character) and better gameplay (combat especially). Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is a remake of the OG farming life game (not really but everyone like this one better than the SNES one) and it's pretty good, even if the art style is very YMMV.

RF4 and Harvest Moon are both games I've tried, and just couldn't get into also. I really have trouble explaining why, but games that don't have a constant checklist of things to work towards just don't click with me. Part of the reason why I've stayed away from any Animal Crossing game, and maybe I just need to accept that Stardew is another game that just isn't for me. It looks nice though, and I did enjoy mining in it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

The controls of Monster Hunter haven't changed since Dos.

We don't talk about the analog attacks in the first one.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
God the first MH was such bullshit. That early egg mission is one of the most difficult, frustrating things I've done in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Marx Headroom posted:

God the first MH was such bullshit. That early egg mission is one of the most difficult, frustrating things I've done in a game.

Just hop down the cliff. There's a path and it bypasses all the loving prey.