Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Please take this seriously.

absolutely not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's clearly a Shoggoth.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
MitD is the friends we made along the way

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

MitD, my old friend
I wonder what you are again.
A thing of wonder in rule books of old?
A homebrew creature as of yet untold?
And the guesses of the thing that you are are pained
You still remain
The Monster in the Darkness

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Protean makes sense more or less, but seems like a downer to have the MitD be a monster that can be any monster

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
My personal theory is it's something outside of D&D. It'd have to be in the public domain or fall under fair use though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe it's homebrew. Pretty sure it was within the rules of D&D 3.5 to Make Things UpTM

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
MitD is actually an extreme buff psychic goblin with a prehensile tongue he uses to hold umbrellas.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Protean makes sense more or less, but seems like a downer to have the MitD be a monster that can be any monster

I kind of like that "downer" aspect, TBH. It lets readers, even those not familiar with D&D monsters, groan and realize they should have expected something of the sort. It also explains a lot of seemingly contradictory traits ("so ugly yet so beautiful," apparently recognized by ordinary hobgoblin soldiers but a wizard claimed to have "never seen anything like it," able to pull off the Escape but it didn't occur to Xykon that he might be capable of doing so (because he didn't think of the possibility of him turning into an Umbral Blot)).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe it's homebrew. Pretty sure it was within the rules of D&D 3.5 to Make Things UpTM

iirc Rich said it was definitively not made up by him

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cup Runneth Over posted:

iirc Rich said it was definitively not made up by him

Maybe someone else made it up?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Immense powers at plot-critical moments?
Eats constantly?
Grotesque appearance?

It's clearly a DM.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

Immense powers at plot-critical moments?
Eats constantly?
Grotesque appearance?

It's clearly a DM.
It turns out to be the all powerful and ugly Rich. I hope he proves he is well soon.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I kind of like that "downer" aspect, TBH. It lets readers, even those not familiar with D&D monsters, groan and realize they should have expected something of the sort. It also explains a lot of seemingly contradictory traits ("so ugly yet so beautiful," apparently recognized by ordinary hobgoblin soldiers but a wizard claimed to have "never seen anything like it," able to pull off the Escape but it didn't occur to Xykon that he might be capable of doing so (because he didn't think of the possibility of him turning into an Umbral Blot)).

Yeah I suppose. And I don't have the mental bandwidth to type this correctly at the moment, but; in real life the quintessential Monster In the Dark under your bed or in your closet being an amalgamation of things that spook the imagination of a frightened child, and then the MitD being a monster that's an amalgamation of DnD monster things, that's like poetry it rhymes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe someone else made it up?
That is how fiction works, yes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PMush Perfect posted:

:rolleyes:

I mean it's some homebrew by someone Rich knows, not some official monster/monstrous manual creature.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rich has said that it is possible for a fan to guess correctly.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Rich has said that it is possible for a fan to guess correctly.

Yeah but what kind of fan? Ceiling? One of those tiny desk fans? Maybe a paper paddle-fan with Roy on the front saying something sarcastic?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I'm not as interested in determining the MitD's creature type as I am in figuring out who will play it in the live action OotS Cinematic Universe.

Too bad Michael Clarke Duncan is dead. Since he's not available, though, I guess we'll have to settle for... I dunno... Steve Buscemi?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I misread this as "friction" and thought what does rubbing have to do with anything? Bit of a Belkar moment.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

oobey posted:

Since he's not available, though, I guess we'll have to settle for... I dunno... Steve Buscemi?

As long as we get Gilbert Gottfried for Belkar I'll be happy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
"I am a sexy shoeless god of war!" In a Gilbert Gottfried voice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

habeasdorkus posted:

"I am a sexy shoeless god of war!" In a Danny Pudi voice.

ftfy

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

I think having the MitD be a swirling creation-blob thing allows for a point / comparison / contrast to be made with the Snarl itself.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Devito channeling IASIP energy is right tin front of us!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Man, I'm really jonesing for my stick figure fix. I'm getting those one-month shakes a week early.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

The Chad Jihad posted:

I dunno I kind of like it, because technically all of the guesses were right. It can be, and was, any and all of those at any particular point in time.

It also kind of continues the pseudo-Schroedinger running joke thing it has going on right now. While it's in the darkness, it could be any of those monsters. When it's out of the darkness... it can still be any of those monsters.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Day 34 of the stakeout. I don't know how much longer I can take this. I miss my wife and kids but that's the price I pay for sitting on the 'latest comic' page over on GiTP and constantly mashing the "next comic" button.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

reignofevil posted:

Day 34 of the stakeout. I don't know how much longer I can take this. I miss my wife and kids but that's the price I pay for sitting on the 'latest comic' page over on GiTP and constantly mashing the "next comic" button.

You know you can just sign up for the RSS feed, right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After last week, I wouldn't be surprised at anyone falling behind in their creative endeavors.

Also possibly we're headed towards a more complicated page.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know you can just sign up for the RSS feed, right?

And if you're the sort of person who doesn't bother with an RSS feed you can set notifications for Rich Burlew's twitter account. (Not so helpful if you're a popular poster but I'm sure that's not a big concern for anyone here.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what on earth makes you think I'm the kind of person who bothers with a twitter feed

I get my updates from posts in this thread, like any sane adult.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I subscribed to the Patreon, so I get an email every time he posts about a new strip.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I sure hope Rich is OK.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, that's great, but if no one actually checks the site, then none of you are reading the strip ever again. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zulily Zoetrope posted: