Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pretty much every character in Star Trek, particularly Discovery would've blasted Greedo. Picard might've tried talking him down in earlier seasons, but after S4 TNG, Greedo would be green toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7uuFsCIrg

you have loving brainworms if you think Solo did anything but the morally and tactically correct thing in this situation

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Isometric Bacon posted:

Haven't watched it since the debut, but I'd really have liked to see the original creator of Discovery's vision played out for the rest of first season. (Wasn't he fired after the second episode?)

Bryan Fuller was fired a year before Discovery even premiered. He submitted the script for the first episode and a partial draft of the second episode.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 10, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7uuFsCIrg

you have loving brainworms if you think Solo did anything but the morally and tactically correct thing in this situation

Absolutely true, of course

Maclunkey!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Alchenar posted:

Or in the next sequence, where even if I'm just going to pass on questioning why the chain ship has guns on the inside, there is a long, slow conversation with zero urgency on the bridge about what they are going to do about it.

i thought this was literally just people aiming inwards with basically their hand rifles which is why it took so long for them to break the shields

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

they have programmable matter, just press some buttons and beep boop ship made some new guns

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Adira is a savant at engineering. I can't remember if this is due to her symbiote or if she's naturally gifted, but why not hang around on the ship full of people who helped you out with your problem and where you can contribute. Also some of the crew are trying to get you to come out of your shell and integrate.

oh i thought reno was a savant at engineering

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Verviticus posted:

i thought this was literally just people aiming inwards with basically their hand rifles which is why it took so long for them to break the shields

Nah Micheal says 'antiproton guns' and I have no idea what those are but they sound like a ship gun and not a handheld gun.

Also chalk up another one for the inconsistency: in the space of an episode Osyraa's ship goes from being chumped by Book's ship to being some sort of fleet fighting dreadnaught. Yeah they say they fixed the vulnerability but it's never implied to be a super ship.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

recently refitted 900-year old ship fights off and escapes from entire federation fleet shooting at it, makes sense

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wheeee posted:

recently refitted 900-year old ship fights off and escapes from entire federation fleet shooting at it, makes sense

Eh, I give that one a pass because the scenes with the Admiral directing the fight imply strongly that he's trying hard not to blow Discovery up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Verviticus posted:

oh i thought reno was a savant at engineering

Every federation engineer is a savant.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Grand Fromage posted:

I really don't think this poo poo is nerd nitpicking. Stories have to have internal consistency. The future setting lets them create all their own rules themselves and they still cannot manage to even remember them an hour after they're stated.

I said it in the first post but seriously Book's attitude to the Federation (and the Burn) just doesn't jive with anything in the latter half of the season. It's so far removed.
And again how did frostburn hand guy get to the other side of the loving galaxy when nobody can travel??

It's such a total smashing up of their original concept. gently caress, frostburn hand guy called the Federation Vdrash like in the short, that never came up again though.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
If I was ever going to shoot someone in the head from the top of the turbo lift as a surprise, I'd probably not alert them to my presence first with a sub Die Hard quip.

I mostly enjoyed the episode but ffs why do people keep stopping and having conversations when facing time sensitive issues explosions/fires/death_of_all_sentient_life/no_oxygen etc. JFC move your arse people.

Also Dadmiral is a silver fox of sexy competence. A beacon of non-stupidity in a universe full of it automatically makes him interesting.

The way he spoke about his family made me wonder if they were dead. The way he said "and I'll join them one day..."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Reading this thread during the entirety of season 3 without having watched a single scene from any episode has been fascinating. I've really enjoyed blind-reading this season of Disco, can't wait for the next season!

So when does Lower Decks come back?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Nah Micheal says 'antiproton guns' and I have no idea what those are but they sound like a ship gun and not a handheld gun.

I mean it probably doesn't mean any more than the science words they put in front of "torpedo" but just lol forever at firing antimatter rounds inside your own ship

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

ClydeFrog posted:

I mostly enjoyed the episode but ffs why do people keep stopping and having conversations when facing time sensitive issues explosions/fires/death_of_all_sentient_life/no_oxygen etc. JFC move your arse people.

I've been complaining about this for... how long ago did Season 1 premiere? Doesn't matter, I only started watching when Pestilence arrived. But it's been a constant problem. I think I even posted about it here at least once. I've recently found myself rolling my hand around, as if the universal "move on, move on, for the loaf of Gosh move the heck on!" gesture could possibly make these scenes hurry up.

ClydeFrog posted:

The way he spoke about his family made me wonder if they were dead. The way he said "and I'll join them one day..."

I read it differently. When he said that they had left, I thought maybe she'd left him. You know, a space divorce, and she got space custody. Then he said that he'd join them someday, and that it was too dangerous for them to stay there, and it made sense. Duh. Of course they're not there. This is 32nd century Starfleet, not a Galaxy-class starship. It's a military installation. His family basically lives off-base.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, I knew I recognized Admiral Vance's voice from somewhere. He voices Osiris in Destiny.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Han is a piece of poo poo drug smuggler who kills in cold blood, won’t do anything unless he’s paid, has no cares or obligations to anyone but himself, and doesn’t give a single poo poo about saving Leia until Luke mentions she’s rich.

From the very first episode we see that Book cares deeply about saving animals, cares about his homeworld, and wants to help Burnham. They’re both rogues with small ships and a pet. That’s it, their personalities are totally different.

Han got WAY more than he bargained for in Star Wars. He literally thought he was just giving two yokels a ride somewhere and found himself fighting for his life around and inside a top secret government WMD. It’s completely absurd escalation of the stakes of his life. Of course he doesn’t then want to invade the jail on a secret government WMD and break out a political prisoner with the help of...a whole two other guys one of whom is like 18. tbh he is kind of being a moron to fall for Luke’s offer of riches anyway. How would you think you could pull that off, even for a fortune?

Han has a partner, Chewie, to whom he is always loyal. He never kills cruelly or in cold blood (in any version of Star Wars). He does dirty deeds for sure, but he’s a professional criminal indebted to the mob.

I don’t really care about the comparison to Book tbh tho. The character is a lone space rogue of the Han Solo archetype and that’s fine, it’s an iconic type that Star Trek has already dabbled in on occasion.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

piratepilates posted:

Reading this thread during the entirety of season 3 without having watched a single scene from any episode has been fascinating. I've really enjoyed blind-reading this season of Disco, can't wait for the next season!

So when does Lower Decks come back?

I haven't seen a specific date but season 1 and 2 were produced at the same time. I've seen some people say it might be very shortly after the discovery finale, so here's hoping

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Azhais posted:

I haven't seen a specific date but season 1 and 2 were produced at the same time. I've seen some people say it might be very shortly after the discovery finale, so here's hoping

Last I read, which was maybe a month ago, they were finalizing the first few episodes and doing the animatics for the last few. So it may still be a bit yet.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Those famous Starfleet engineers that can turn rocks into replicators...

It feels like the writers have a list of specific plot beats they want to hit and they're going to get there regardless of whether the steps in between make any sense in the context of the wider universe of the franchise, or even previous parts of their own show. It reminds me of FPS video games where the developers have vague ideas of awesome set piece action levels, and string you along from set piece to set piece with the flimsiest nonsensical plot to tie the game together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Han is a piece of poo poo drug smuggler who kills in cold blood, won’t do anything unless he’s paid, has no cares or obligations to anyone but himself, and doesn’t give a single poo poo about saving Leia until Luke mentions she’s rich.

From the very first episode we see that Book cares deeply about saving animals, cares about his homeworld, and wants to help Burnham. They’re both rogues with small ships and a pet. That’s it, their personalities are totally different.

I don't think you're accounting for the clearly-heavily-focus-grouped market research factor that we're all seeing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can someone photoshop the new uniforms so that the grey is black and see if my suspicion that they'd be a thousand times better is correct?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Can someone photoshop the new uniforms so that the grey is black and see if my suspicion that they'd be a thousand times better is correct?

Not when the bridge set is so dark. They've likely gone with gray because of the high-contrast bridge set focusing on brightly-lit screens to provide the key illumination sources rather than just lighting the room properly.

That said, I'm not that big on the new uniforms either. I like what they're trying for, but they come off a little too flashy and "dress uniform" rather than "everyday uniform". The Disco uniforms weren't that great either, but they admittedly blended well with their tactical vests to look better out on away missions and seemed like they were earnestly trying for a retro-scifi design even if they didn't quite land it.

edit:

Look how badly (or at least inconsistently) lit they are with the blue uniforms, and it'd be much worse with black. The bright gray's a fix to make the crew stand out more rather than fix the actual problem of poor room lighting imo. Not to make it sound like I'm crowding on you with this, just kinda started thinking about it myself.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 11, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Those might actually be dress uniforms, for michael's promotion

Especially if fans complain enough before the next season starts filming

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

This video made a great point, aren’t mobile emitters supposed to be a thing?

https://youtu.be/NF5HWzJh5x8

They also had a flying rain forest lol

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

wasnt reno doing like complicated life support and surgery with like shards of metal and glass salvaged from the hull of her ship

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Verviticus posted:

Hand rifles don't seem like they'd be able to beat shield regen. No matter what the improvements in technology, a ship is still going to have orders of magnitude more power than anything handheld.

Besides, I doubt you'd want handheld anti-ship weapons fired by guys just eyeballing the shot inside your own ship. Those dudes miss all the time! It would be stupid as hell to give them guns that can blow through your own hull. Emplaced guns can be positioned and programed so that they can't take a shot that would seriously damage their own ship.

Having some automated defences inside your own landing bay just makes sense.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Verviticus posted:

wasnt reno doing like complicated life support and surgery with like shards of metal and glass salvaged from the hull of her ship

Yeah Stamets+Reno+Adira gives the ship three god-tier engineer savants on one ship which did stand out to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The cat was the best part of this season

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Josh Lyman posted:

The cat was the best part of this season

Powerful avatar/post combo. :hfive:

I have to agree that a lot of what makes parts of this show not work for me is the number of times a ticking clock/incredibly desperate measure/otherwise super urgent thing comes up and then the characters stand/walk around having more dialogue on their way. A lot of the gaps/characters (the writers) forgetting things issues people have would disappear if the pacing actually had them in a hurry or rush to do whatever solution first comes to mind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah Stamets+Reno+Adira gives the ship three god-tier engineer savants on one ship which did stand out to me.

Stamets isn't an engineer, he's a astromycologist. Science, not engineering. He just seems like an engineer because of the spore drive.

While looking up Stamets specialty I found there is another Paul Stamets.

Probably a coincidence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's who he was named after.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Stamets isn't an engineer, he's a astromycologist. Science, not engineering. He just seems like an engineer because of the spore drive.

While looking up Stamets specialty I found there is another Paul Stamets.

Probably a coincidence.

Don't know if you're joking, it was not a coincidence. They explicitly named the character after this guy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Don't know if you're joking, it was not a coincidence. They explicitly named the character after this guy.

LOL yeah I figured that had to be deliberate. But it is neat.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

ahem :smug:

:smug: :smug: :smug:

yes I know it's a standard disclaimer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

piratepilates posted:

ahem :smug:

:smug: :smug: :smug:

yes I know it's a standard disclaimer

I'd love just once for there to be an exception to that disclaimer in an end card. Like, "Except for [this character], we totally based him on [this person with the same name] and [he/she/they] are totally cool with it, please don't write us about it". Like one of those Chuck Lorre vanity cards, except actually cute and funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Or maybe "Except for this guy, that is a direct reference. We didn't get permission, sue us, bitch."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Or maybe "Except for this guy, that is a direct reference. We didn't get permission, sue us, bitch."

If I was running this poo poo I'd have Discovery/Cerritos/La Sirena/whatever ship Star Trek: Prodigy is gonna be centered around come across a villain in a helmet suspiciously shaped like a urinal who proceeds to take himself out in a series of dumbfuck self-owns purely to see if Doomcock would be stupid enough to try and sue me and/or CBS or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Everyone on Discovery is an idiot, if Chief O'Brien was there like half their problems never would have happened