Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
lol at the idea that the lady took a paycheck to get shot in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
can any GiP dude or dudette tell us whether “high level security” actually means anything?

gently caress some cooks and custodians need security clearances

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

can any GiP dude or dudette tell us whether “high level security” actually means anything?

I parsed it as someone who had a reasonable rank (being 14 years in I guess?) in the security forces, or basically air force cop. Just based on the MPs I've had the absolutely great luck to know, the story checks out.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

So he is the Michael Baden of mass shootings as opposed to the Pete Zalewski

I can't be bothered to look up the proximity of those places to each other but I believe at least two are in the DC area so the guy was probably in a regional task force in an administrator position. There's all sorts of incident command structure and training involved to make it work that's pretty standard in law enforcement

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

I parsed it as someone who had a reasonable rank (being 14 years in I guess?) in the security forces, or basically air force cop. Just based on the MPs I've had the absolutely great luck to know, the story checks out.

14 year E-4 is not a distinguished service record by any stretch of the imagination

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It means nothing, in any official jargon.

If they meant top secret, she could easily had top secret for a single tour, and held it because they don't pull it unless they need to.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

14 year E-4 is not a distinguished service record by any stretch of the imagination

Was she an E-4? lol, up or out would explain why she didn't make it to 20. I didn't know anything beyond the breathless description of “high level security” which didn't really make any sense on its own.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://qz.com/1953366/decoding-the-pro-trump-insurrectionist-flags-and-banners/

Nothing particularly declarative, more just information about which flags were present and their origins.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

ah yes the classic Trump as Rambo flag and, finally, someone decoding its mystery

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
So here's a theory that I haven't seen here yet.

The 25th Amendment has already been invoked. The DC National Guard is under the presidents control, but it has been revealed that Pence was the one to authorize their deployment yesterday. For the previous few days, requests by DC Capitol Police for the deployment of the NG have been denied. Pence does not have this authority normally, so one explanation is that presidential powers have already transferred to Pence but this hasn't been announced because it would make Trump throw a fit or something.

Add to this all of the cabinet members that have been quitting.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

PuErhTeabag posted:

So here's a theory that I haven't seen here yet.

The 25th Amendment has already been invoked. The DC National Guard is under the presidents control, but it has been revealed that Pence was the one to authorize their deployment yesterday. For the previous few days, requests by DC Capitol Police for the deployment of the NG have been denied. Pence does not have this authority normally, so one explanation is that presidential powers have already transferred to Pence but this hasn't been announced because it would make Trump throw a fit or something.

Add to this all of the cabinet members that have been quitting.

I like.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Also, I feel like i was premature earlier. Social media legislation feels like it, at most, just a small part of greater domestic terrorism legislation that is coming (especially with Facebook banning Trump in hopes of appealing to Biden and avoiding any oversight). The impetus works great with all the talk for the last couple months of domestic terrorism being predominantly white supremacy in the states, culminating in the attack on the capitol.

The recent setting up of the problem began when the FBI reported that white supremacist groups were the leading cause of domestic terrorism again in 2019 (https://www.voanews.com/usa/2019-deadliest-year-domestic-terrorism-says-fbi-director). Also in 2019, the FBI specifically paired this threat with “conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists,” most obviously using QAnon. Unsurprisingly, the FBI eschews white supremacy as its own category of terror and instead includes these actions under the larger collection of "“racially motivated violent extremism.” (https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-documents-conspiracy-theories-terrorism-160000507.html).

This year we got, among a whole lot of things, BLM protests, anti-maskers, attempt on Gretchen Warner kidnapping, and Trump saying the proud boys were okay while the FBI issued a report on boogaloo terrorism the same day (https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/white-supremacist-boogaloo/). This is the report where the FBI formally identify the election period up to the inauguration as a "flashpoint" for violence.

Anyways, I set all this up to just point out that since the FBI has raised these alarms over a year ago, they are now like 7 months late on their legally mandated report on handling domestic terrorism, which looks like they will continue to sit on until Biden is in office (https://www.thedailybeast.com/fbi-sits-on-report-detailing-white-supremacist-terror-threat), and they also never even tried to create any sort of risk assessment ahead of the highly publicized capitol raid (https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/biden-trump-electoral-college-certification-congress/card/rghQKMAF2ju2wkrUlcj1).

This is all a mess and I'm not trying to say there is any coordination between any of this, but I'd say it looks like the FBI and likely the DHS did their best to ensure to leave the door open to many of these events so that they can be capitalized on for new legislation with Biden. It looks like Christopher Wray hates Trump and doesn't feel like the FBI can expand its purview under his leadership, perhaps because Trump would embarrassingly defend white supremacist groups in his fan base (who in this view are just the nominal public group that will be used to justify oppressive laws exercised on everyone).

e: tl;dr the fbi is going to ride the wave of liberals outrage at the capitol hill raid that the fbi permitted to look like the avengers and pass new laws that will actually be used to crackdown on anyone with a legitimate grievance in the u.s.a.

nut has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Jan 8, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/richimedhurst/status/1347512853633380352?s=19
https://twitter.com/richimedhurst/status/1347513837478686721?s=19

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The same "fact-checkers" who insist Joe Biden had nothing to do with mass incarceration.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like January 6 was partially an anticipated opportunity to bloat the security state. Not necessarily a false flag, as the insurrectionists were totally real, but the warning lights had been going off and were totally ignored. The police presence was a joke. Capitol Hill is gonna be a security fortress now, and the grifters are gonna get sweet contracts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Backweb posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like January 6 was partially an anticipated opportunity to bloat the security state. Not necessarily a false flag, as the insurrectionists were totally real, but the warning lights had been going off and were totally ignored. The police presence was a joke. Capitol Hill is gonna be a security fortress now, and the grifters are gonna get sweet contracts.

and the results will stay the same: white supremacist terrists running free around the country as browns keep getting shot at by state thugs, but i repeat myself

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The big surprise to me is it wasn't already a literal fortress- the mission of the government, the actual building, etc. is going to remain identical as before

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Saw this and thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1347610318575267840

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol theyre mainlining chris knowles

nut
Jul 30, 2019

just something fun 2 spice up ur saturday morning

and for my friends down south

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

Alex Jones was always a bullying rear end in a top hat, it should be no surprise his prejudices are fed by male insecurities.
this is your brain on liberalism

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just realized that the way they said Jeff killed himself is exactly how they tried to say D'Angelo Barksdale killed himself.

yeah the wire is like my Harry Potter.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The big surprise to me is it wasn't already a literal fortress- the mission of the government, the actual building, etc. is going to remain identical as before

I don't see why it's surprising. It's all grift. The higher up you get in society, the bigger the grift. You think the airports are security theater? No way that real important-rear end things are protected with half that competence. But the money flows, oh yeah. There's that journalist's account of being rushed into the $700 million dollar secure facility but then having to turn around because the chuds were already in it.

I mean, look how willy-nilly the US is about securing actual real nukes. As a society, we are actually quite lucky that terrorists are most interested in maintaining the status quo instead of wreaking havoc. See also how the CIA has successfully pulled off countless coups and ops despite being incredibly incompetent and stupid. You read about some of the failed ops, like the Bay of Pigs, and it's just incomprehensible how anyone could have thought it was a good plan. Not directly CIA-related, but for an example of the kinds of big brains that organize this poo poo, look at Operation Eagle Claw, or one of my favourites, Operation Mikado by the SAS during the Falklands war. You see, the plan was for the SAS to covertly attack the main airbase of the Argentinian forces to destroy a few Exocet missiles and "kill pilots in their quarters". How do you covertly attack the airbase? Why, you just land two C-130s on the runway, have the SAS folks get out, shoot up some poo poo, then get back in and fly off. That's the sort of big brain plans that genius operators have. And yet, those same people pull off real coups and real terror attacks all the time, but it sure ain't because they're smart.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I meant as in why post 9/11 can ordinary people approach the Capitol from the street at all, why wasn't it fenced off like the White House (an actual fence, not movable barricades)

nut
Jul 30, 2019

If the FBI's goal isn't to protect all of its citizens (which I suspect many of you are already convinced of), but instead to protect capital, maintain its status, and acquire more funding and reach in society, then why would they ever act on the surveillance info about right wing extremists? The Strategy of Tension in Italy, once exposed as Gladio, showed the world that regular and widespread violent acts can convince a population, if they feel like they are vulnerable, to trade in civil liberty for "protective" institutions and acts.

The FBI already manages a facade of efficacy by regularly grooming people on the internet into performing bombing/violent plots with fake equipment FBI assets themselves provide. These people were never originally threats and usually just posted something on social media before an FBI agent, pretending to be a civilian, reaches out and directs their actions into culpable violence. Probably also worth mentioning that some of these victims-turned-terrorists are mentally challenged. Matthew Llaneza, Sami Osmakac, and Alexander Ciccolo, for example.

Why do the tough job of trying to protect a population you have been built to feel you owe nothing to when you have a safe conveyor belt of harmless suspects you can nab at anytime? Especially when not doing your job results in more fear and a public that, having no other options, asks for more of your help?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I just realized that the way they said Jeff killed himself is exactly how they tried to say D'Angelo Barksdale killed himself.

yeah the wire is like my Harry Potter.

nah, it's dumber than that. people do actually kill themselves the way barksdale supposedly did. barksdale just had to sit down and let gravity strangle him, at least in the official (false) story. epstein, a man in his 60s had to kneel so hard he broke bones in his neck using a bedsheet instead of a belt, and going for this insane mma suicide instead of sitting down and strangling via gravity.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

Stunt_enby posted:

this is your brain on liberalism

But their right? Why stan this awful dude?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shageletic posted:

their point may be that saying someone's politics come from their specific psychological conditions (or what they've heard from someone with specific psychological conditions) is idealistic, and we should be materialistic instead

sadly i think this is the wrong thread to take a stand against the impulse to tar political opponents as sex freaks

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Shageletic posted:

They're wrong. His persona is a bullying rear end in a top hat, his target audience is driven by male insecurities, but that's not necessarily true of him. Even if it is true on some level, he's not dealing with these supposed insecurities by "bullying", he's dealing with it by making a poo poo ton of money and amassing an army of followers who will keep buying the poo poo he shills forever. There's a reason why, dumb as they are, chuds understand the real psychology of libs far better than libs understand the chuds, or more to the point themselves. People whose answer to "why do people who aren't like me vote different from how I think they should vote?" is because "they don't understand their best interest, unlike me" don't even know what a psyche is, let alone how the gently caress to analyze one.

HELLO LADIES has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Jan 10, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

chairface posted:

nah, it's dumber than that. people do actually kill themselves the way barksdale supposedly did. barksdale just had to sit down and let gravity strangle him, at least in the official (false) story. epstein, a man in his 60s had to kneel so hard he broke bones in his neck using a bedsheet instead of a belt, and going for this insane mma suicide instead of sitting down and strangling via gravity.

a bedsheet made of paper, specifically designed so that people can't do what they claim he did

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

just let me link this youtube where they make rope from paper ...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the list of cuis who could potentially bono from the events on the 6th doesn't seem super long, unless it was a dry run for something else. Sure the capitol defenses will be beefed up but they already have a high tech half a BILLION dollar a year budget. maybe we do see it turned into a techno fortress and more restrictive laws but we were probably going to get that anyway. it has the stink of an op but I don't know to what end. maybe to get something on a laptop, maybe to really kidnap people. at the very least it was an "op" in that intelligence had credible evidence and embedded agents and let it happen anyway

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the list of cuis who could potentially bono from the events on the 6th doesn't seem super long, unless it was a dry run for something else. Sure the capitol defenses will be beefed up but they already have a high tech half a BILLION dollar a year budget. maybe we do see it turned into a techno fortress and more restrictive laws but we were probably going to get that anyway. it has the stink of an op but I don't know to what end. maybe to get something on a laptop, maybe to really kidnap people. at the very least it was an "op" in that intelligence had credible evidence and embedded agents and let it happen anyway

heh

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

heh what

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategy_of_tension

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That description reminds of a historical event from 2001.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Some groups of note in the DC rally included followers of Falun Gong, advocates of Mujahedin-e-Khalq (MEK), South Vietnamese, anti-castro Cubans, and at least one guy sporting an Azov Battalion flag.

Just a motley crew of CIA-backed cultist and Nazis who exist because the are funded by the CIA in an (often pathetic) attempt to overthrow their respective governments, marching on the capital in a (pathetic) attempt to overthrow the US government.

Granted, they might all be there because they share reactionary politics (and thus a love of Trump), but if I wanted to cause some chaos, I might call in some back-benchers on the ol' payroll.

e: I did indeed mean South Vietnam

The Atomic Man-Boy has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Jan 11, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It'd be pretty funny if it turned out to be an actual attempt at a coup but these numbnuts were just too ineffective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Some groups of note in the DC rally included followers of Falun Gong, advocates of Mujahedin-e-Khalq (MEK), North Vietnamese, anti-castro Cubans, and at least one guy sporting an Azov Battalion flag.

don't you mean South

still reppin' for my man Ngo Dinh Diem