Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Dawgstar posted:

Is The Wotch still technically going?

lmao holy poo poo it's still limping along at the staggering pace of one page per year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

lmao holy poo poo it's still limping along at the staggering pace of one page per year

Yeah, just like El Goonish Shive, it seems to be a survivor among this kind of webcomic. The Wotch seems to have gone through several artists over time however, while EGS stayed the course and just slowly improved. Compare the first strip with the last one, and you can feel your brain break because of the difference.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

okay i didn't watch that Quinton Reviews video but how the gently caress do you butcher the name "Gutierrez" that bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alaois posted:

okay i didn't watch that Quinton Reviews video but how the gently caress do you butcher the name "Gutierrez" that bad

Dude I was about to say the same loving thing. holy gently caress

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

Quinton is very white and very Midwestern.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Libluini posted:

Yeah, just like El Goonish Shive, it seems to be a survivor among this kind of webcomic. The Wotch seems to have gone through several artists over time however, while EGS stayed the course and just slowly improved. Compare the first strip with the last one, and you can feel your brain break because of the difference.

I've been reading EGS since 2006 and the improvement of Dan's art is wild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alaois posted:

but how the gently caress do you butcher the name "Gutierrez" that bad
There's some kind of law where YouTubers have to mispronounce obvious words. The amount I've heard mispronounce "subsequent" blows my mind. How have they never heard that word said.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
today on shuffle master, people send arin things, a joke gets run into the ground so badly that it comes back around to being amazing again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyBiGWxHXrQ

(someone opened an entire booster box of pokemon cards, replaced the contents of each pack entirely with Duckletts including proper foils in place of the rare foils/EX/ultra rare foils, energy placement in the pack is right, then resealed them up and sent the booster box to him)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HOLY poo poo THESE TOPPS SONIC THE HEDGEHOG CARDS. WHAT.

"fun sonic facts: robotnik loves to eat eggs, especially raw eggs, which he eats with his hands, yuck!"

this is a lot

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 10, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, uh, it looks like Ryan Haywood plans to return to streaming. A former colleague of his at RT, Alfredo Diaz, had this to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrqK0HnPkwk

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dude I was about to say the same loving thing. holy gently caress

My wife's maiden name is Gutierrez and according to her white people would gently caress it up all the time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

My wife's maiden name is Gutierrez and according to her white people would gently caress it up all the time.

I mean of course white people gently caress up the name. White people gently caress up my name all the time too lmfao (even when its typed on the email they will misspell it constantly lol)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Huh dang, looks like Anne Onymous isn't writing it anymore either. I hope whoever they were, they finally found peace and happiness.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If it’s any consolation, my last name is two syllables and still gets mispronounced so much we just adopted the most common mispronunciation as the correct way.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pants Donkey posted:

If it’s any consolation, my last name is two syllables and still gets mispronounced so much we just adopted the most common mispronunciation as the correct way.

:same: but for my given name.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Draga posted:

I've been reading EGS since 2006 and the improvement of Dan's art is wild.

My shock at how much he's improved over time is why I started reading EGS again a few years ago after forgetting about it for like a decade

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

HOLY poo poo THESE TOPPS SONIC THE HEDGEHOG CARDS. WHAT.

"fun sonic facts: robotnik loves to eat eggs, especially raw eggs, which he eats with his hands, yuck!"

If that crazy Archie Sonic writer had any real nerve he would have incorporated that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

I have a silent letter at the end of my last name, it was a crapshoot whether someone would pronounce it or not even though saying the letter sounds dumb. Eventually an actor with the same last name got famous so it stopped being an issue.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I mean of course white people gently caress up the name. White people gently caress up my name all the time too lmfao (even when its typed on the email they will misspell it constantly lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RKkRCiU90

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

If that crazy Archie Sonic writer had any real nerve he would have incorporated that.

I think this kind of stuff was in the story Bible Sega wrote for the West back in the Mega Drive days. For some reason all the American media just ignored it and created their own worlds.

The UK comic definitely had Robotnik be obsessed with eggs and be disgusting.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

jacob's got a new video out about disco elysium and invisible cities. its real good stuff as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md5PTWBuGpg

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_NtXvdcUJA

Curio has a good video out on Cloudpunk, one of the good Cyberpunk games published last year, and how it tries to say something about capitalism. I should get around to finishing the game soon; they have added a ton of stuff since release.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

haha what posted:

jacob's got a new video out about disco elysium and invisible cities. its real good stuff as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md5PTWBuGpg

Welp! Time to go be a hobo cop again!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
heh, I didn't realize Day9 was the person who suggested instead of removing pogchamp altogether, they just randomize it instead. it's a great idea.
https://twitter.com/Twitch/status/1347589555197595650
https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/1347021857359163393

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any video essays that talk about the detective himself?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

My last name has two letters and 0 vowels and it's always fun to see people unfamiliar with it puzzling it out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If it's "Ng" I've always been curious because the only time I've heard it pronounced is in the TMBG song and trying to work out normal pronunciation from John Linnel lyrics is a fool's errand.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

If it's "Ng" I've always been curious because the only time I've heard it pronounced is in the TMBG song and trying to work out normal pronunciation from John Linnel lyrics is a fool's errand.

here's a helpful hint that won't help you at all, it's a Cantonese variant of the surname Wu!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

English like Latin and Punnic before it only has a tiny number of names native speakers will recognize as real names, and all others will be met with bafflement. I have a two syllable completely phonetically spelled name, that is pronounced correctly maybe 10% of the time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DoctorWhat posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The surname is sometimes romanized as Ang, Eng, Ing and Ong in the United States and Ung in Australia.
But never Yng.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzKPfMcIvA

A very real video wrt audience expectation/demand and creative drive, courtesy of a man who stopped uploading on youtube consistently years ago and has had people hounding him about making tf2 content ever since

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

It is, I pronounce it as something like Uhng.

Alaois posted:

here's a helpful hint that won't help you at all, it's a Cantonese variant of the surname Wu!

Jokes on you, mine is the Hokkien variant of the surname Huang.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

heh, I didn't realize Day9 was the person who suggested instead of removing pogchamp altogether, they just randomize it instead. it's a great idea.
https://twitter.com/Twitch/status/1347589555197595650
https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/1347021857359163393

day 9 also seems to be a decent guy in general. He used to play a lot of sc2, but moved to dota.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah day9 is a wonderful guy and a very entertaining streamer even if he's not particularly good at games. but then, what streamer is?

that is rhetorical, you don't need to answer that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah day9 is a wonderful guy and a very entertaining streamer even if he's not particularly good at games. but then, what streamer is?

that is rhetorical, you don't need to answer that

He was a competitive Starcraft player. I wanna say it was the daily 100 where he tells a really sweet story about how he and his brother (who's a caster in Korea) got into the scene.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

day 9 also seems to be a decent guy in general. He used to play a lot of sc2, but moved to dota.

He plays dota but I would say he moved more towards card games like hearthstone and magic. I always did like his passion when he entered the dota scene and hosted that one year. It was at odds with the community but I thought he did a good job.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Brian David Gilbert's first act after being unchanged from Polygon is to make a 20 minute video about his hair. I'm assuming it unhinges entirely by the mid-point, but to who knows with this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkPNOD2wlp8

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

He plays dota but I would say he moved more towards card games like hearthstone and magic. I always did like his passion when he entered the dota scene and hosted that one year. It was at odds with the community but I thought he did a good job.

Confession: I've mostly been watching a few replays with day 9 and purge, and purge is absolutely dota focused. While I'm plugging dota streamers, he actually is good at the game to the point where he is really great at explaining it to beginners, and knows the game well enough to give detailed analysis(to the point of 9 hour patch videos). Interestingly he is one of those rare streamers that have more of a low energy chill vibe, so you don't hear him screaming.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

Confession: I've mostly been watching a few replays with day 9 and purge, and purge is absolutely dota focused. While I'm plugging dota streamers, he actually is good at the game to the point where he is really great at explaining it to beginners, and knows the game well enough to give detailed analysis(to the point of 9 hour patch videos). Interestingly he is one of those rare streamers that have more of a low energy chill vibe, so you don't hear him screaming.

Yeah purge owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzKPfMcIvA

A very real video wrt audience expectation/demand and creative drive, courtesy of a man who stopped uploading on youtube consistently years ago and has had people hounding him about making tf2 content ever since
I saw this thread over the weekend :smith’s . I used to watch him back in the day, but I stopped when the channel was nothing but twitch VODs.

It’s not a crime to get tired of a channel due to the content shifting in a way you don’t like (although the basically stuff he did was pretty good if I remember), but yeah harassing someone into making what you want is some entitled crap. It’s definitely a hazard of building your channel around one specific thing, which is really crappy when it leads to creators feeling trapped.