Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The Forest was a fun horror game but the base building and survival elements worked completely contrary to the rest of the game imo.

After a while I just stopped bothering to build anything, because why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Jesus i just bought it for the base building stuff because it looks cool

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Trivia posted:

The Forest was a fun horror game but the base building and survival elements worked completely contrary to the rest of the game imo.

After a while I just stopped bothering to build anything, because why bother?

I'm not following you. I build a log wall to keep away the cannibals, added a parapet to no-scope them with my bow and a set of traps for them to three-stooge into. Inside the walls I had enough kit to survive for days. I then built a network of bases around the map, including deathslides and a mobile oppression palace out of a house boat in case the main base ever got overrun. Generally it felt mostly neccasery, but granted there was a mechanical disconnect between the cave and overworld sections.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is there a survival game around that is only about survival? No fighting weird cannibals or mutants, just hunger, thirst, exposure, disease, injury... any fighting should be of the hunting kind or at least, something I go look for and not something where I get attacked out of the blue

the forest and green hell both looked fine until it got to the mutant/natives part (also Green Hell has huge spiders which is something I'm very much not into), I still play UnReal World but I need something new!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TorakFade posted:

Is there a survival game around that is only about survival? No fighting weird cannibals or mutants, just hunger, thirst, exposure, disease, injury... any fighting should be of the hunting kind or at least, something I go look for and not something where I get attacked out of the blue

the forest and green hell both looked fine until it got to the mutant/natives part (also Green Hell has huge spiders which is something I'm very much not into), I still play UnReal World but I need something new!

The Long Dark

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Klaaz posted:

Jesus i just bought it for the base building stuff because it looks cool

The base building stuff is cool, you just don't actually need to do any of it to complete the game. Which honestly is fine.

A new player would definitely build tiny camps here and there as they went and explored rather than headed directly to every cave entrance they they had either memorised or googled :v:

Word to the wise, treehouse bases are kind of a trap.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

TorakFade posted:

Sounds like The Long Dark to me. You can use a custom difficulty and set the wildlife to passive, that way the wolves won't hunt you down but I believe will still attack you if you go after them. I had the same experience with The Forest, I liked everything apart from the mutant cannibal stuff.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Long Dark recently had a new patch too. I haven't played since the last story update which was a while ago. At least I think we're still waiting for a new chapter? Did the latest patch add anything new and exciting aside the new region?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Maybe just play more URW, regardless? :v:

...drat I need to get back into URW. So good

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

TeaJay posted:

The Long Dark recently had a new patch too. I haven't played since the last story update which was a while ago. At least I think we're still waiting for a new chapter? Did the latest patch add anything new and exciting aside the new region?

Just a couple of new items and a few QoL bits and fixes, not much stuff other than the region really.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I played The Long Dark for quite a bit but it´s so... empty? I think it's a good game at it's core but you can walk for days and crawl through mountain passes to find a small village or camp in which you will find nothing more interesting than you will find at your starters position except some more stuff that enables you to walk some more around without real goal except prolonging your death? Haven't played the last two or three big patches though, maybe things got more interesting.

edit;

thanks, that's good to know about treehouses dogstile :)

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 11, 2021

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Pathologic 2 has you constantly struggling to survive and help others survive (and choosing to let others die because you can't save everyone) in a plague ridden town with a culture that's quite alien to you. There are bars for hunger, thirst, health, stamina and immunity and all of them become hard to keep up, especially after day 4 or so. It doesn't usually get classified as a survival game but imo it really is except it has a way better story and atmosphere than most of them. There is combat but it's hard to win by design. You'll find yourself running away more often than not and when you do attack someone (usually in the hopes they have food or medicine) it's better to sneak up on them and stab them to death before they can attack back.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Bug Squash posted:

I'm not following you. I build a log wall to keep away the cannibals, added a parapet to no-scope them with my bow and a set of traps for them to three-stooge into. Inside the walls I had enough kit to survive for days. I then built a network of bases around the map, including deathslides and a mobile oppression palace out of a house boat in case the main base ever got overrun. Generally it felt mostly neccasery, but granted there was a mechanical disconnect between the cave and overworld sections.

If you just want to base camp and survive against the horde, then the implementation was pretty fun I'll admit.

But since there is a story, and a lot of equipment is gated behind that, there's no reason for bases because you just go from cave to cave until you win.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Trivia posted:

If you just want to base camp and survive against the horde, then the implementation was pretty fun I'll admit.

But since there is a story, and a lot of equipment is gated behind that, there's no reason for bases because you just go from cave to cave until you win.

It sounds like the real problem was that you spoiled the exploration aspect of the game. I needed those bases to support me as I explored the overmap to find the caves. The items inside them are generally just pleasant upgrades or let you get past specific spots in other caves, so there's nothing there that's essential.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How did you find all of these caves without building a couple of things to cook/sleep? Did you seriously do all of that without a guide?

The islands pretty big, it took me hours to find some of the caves.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TorakFade posted:

the forest and green hell both looked fine until it got to the mutant/natives part (also Green Hell has huge spiders which is something I'm very much not into)
You can turn off other people in Green Hell and it's pretty decent for its survival. Also the "giant" spiders are just like, tarantulas, not Skyrim style giant spiders.
Long Dark is definitely a good option, as has been mentioned, and it's come a long way. It does feel sparse but that's kind of the point, and it's definitely not as empty as it once was.

dogstile posted:

How did you find all of these caves without building a couple of things to cook/sleep? Did you seriously do all of that without a guide?
The islands pretty big, it took me hours to find some of the caves.
The very first time I played I wandered into the woods, spotted a village, took a broad circle around it because I was scared to go in, then found a cave and explored inside and almost immediately got what's apparently the best axe in the game. Pretty sure it was the first day.
I felt like I'd just cut in line.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

The very first time I played I wandered into the woods, spotted a village, took a broad circle around it because I was scared to go in, then found a cave and explored inside and almost immediately got what's apparently the best axe in the game. Pretty sure it was the first day.

That's fine in my book, I'm just criticising the person that blatantly beelined to all the secret caves using a wiki.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vib Rib posted:

I know the exact village you're thinking of, I did the same thing. Not on the first day though!

At least the axe just speeds things up rather than breaks the game. Still tons of exploring to do.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vib Rib posted:

You can turn off other people in Green Hell and it's pretty decent for its survival. Also the "giant" spiders are just like, tarantulas, not Skyrim style giant spiders.
Long Dark is definitely a good option, as has been mentioned, and it's come a long way. It does feel sparse but that's kind of the point, and it's definitely not as empty as it once was.

I have mild arachnophobia and let me tell you, I'll take "fake" exagerated spiders like Skyrim's or most videogames' spiders even if they're huge rather than just one realistically modeled tiny spider. I'm not going ballistic and crying or fainting, mind, but I feel very uncomfortable seeing them and the closer they resemble real life spiders (dimensions included, weirdly - I think when my brain sees a spider as tall as a man just goes "nah that's clearly untrue" and doesn't fully register it), the more they spook me. Every game that has spiders should have an arachnophobia toggle!

Anyway, I think I have the Long Dark ! I played it a looong time ago but it was really barren, even more than I'd expect it to be even given the game's premise; it was incredibly hard to find anything worthwhile and you'd just get eaten by wolves or die of exposure 3 days in because in all the 4 villages/trailer parks/etc you could reasonably visit within those 3 days, there was exactly 1 item of clothing - a pair of old socks - and 1 energy bar. It was cool but clearly in need of a lot of polishing, maybe it's there yet :)

thanks a lot everyone for the tips

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I have mild arachnophobia and let me tell you, I'll take "fake" exagerated spiders like Skyrim's or most videogames' spiders even if they're huge rather than just one realistically modeled tiny spider. I'm not going ballistic and crying or fainting, mind, but I feel very uncomfortable seeing them and the closer they resemble real life spiders (dimensions included, weirdly - I think when my brain sees a spider as tall as a man just goes "nah that's clearly untrue" and doesn't fully register it), the more they spook me. Every game that has spiders should have an arachnophobia toggle!

Anyway, I think I have the Long Dark ! I played it a looong time ago but it was really barren, even more than I'd expect it to be even given the game's premise; it was incredibly hard to find anything worthwhile and you'd just get eaten by wolves or die of exposure 3 days in because in all the 4 villages/trailer parks/etc you could reasonably visit within those 3 days, there was exactly 1 item of clothing - a pair of old socks - and 1 energy bar. It was cool but clearly in need of a lot of polishing, maybe it's there yet :)

Avoid the Metro games. I'm fine with spiders and their implementation got to me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TorakFade posted:

Some of the worst spiders I've seen in a game were the ones in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. They crawled on the walls and ceilings, and someone put a disturbing amount of effort into making the animation hit exactly that fearful part of my mind when they'd skitter into my peripheral vision down a wall.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
spiders are my friends

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Verviticus posted:

spiders are my friends

Have I got the mod for you!

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/31388?tab=images

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Verviticus posted:

spiders are my friends

They're good and cool and eat the other bugs

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Maybe just play more URW, regardless? :v:

...drat I need to get back into URW. So good

This thread made me reinstall URW. Control scheme is still all kinds of stupid but drat it is a good game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TorakFade posted:

That was almost my exact experience. I played years ago and it felt really aimless and empty and overly punitive, and I remember not even being able to keep a fire going long enough to sleep so I froze to death indoors. Maybe I've just got more patience now but it really feels like they've tuned it up very well since then.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i cant speak to how the game was in 2016 but at least now anything but interloper drops piles of gear on top of you and its basically impossible to die unless you're taken down by a wolf

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

A Sometimes Food posted:

Avoid the Metro games. I'm fine with spiders and their implementation got to me.

Dirk the Average posted:

Some of the worst spiders I've seen in a game were the ones in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. They crawled on the walls and ceilings, and someone put a disturbing amount of effort into making the animation hit exactly that fearful part of my mind when they'd skitter into my peripheral vision down a wall.

thanks, two games to put on the "never touch this" list, good dodge - Metro was on my "to play" list :yikes:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This thread made me reinstall URW. Control scheme is still all kinds of stupid but drat it is a good game.

It is, I love it to bits. Actually I think I made the last dedicated thread for the game on these very forums :v:

Anyway I played a bit of The Long Dark (pilgrim mode just to ease in), and it's way more polished than I remembered. Wandered around on the starter map, took me half a day to find the Camp Office, and it had just some paper, a storm lantern without fuel and a pair of worn jeans. Dismantled a few crates and managed to sleep warm, now it's morning and I have to go looking for some tools...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If you haven't played TLD in a while there's also a custom setting now which allows you to adjust the sandbox to your liking. I always tend to tone wolves down a bit but check the settings, the defaults are very punishing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

on pilgrim and probably voyageur i think it’s impossible to freeze to death sleeping indoors. even if you’re at 1c, you can’t get cold. also on those difficulties you will wake up if you get cold while asleep, so save your wood!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
If you dont like spiders stay the hell away from Grounded, they went a bit too far with them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doesn’t Grounded have an Arachnaphobia slider that slowly turns spiders in just kinda cartoony blobs?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doesn’t Grounded have an Arachnaphobia slider that slowly turns spiders in just kinda cartoony blobs?
It's the weirdest implementation of an arachnaphobia mode I've ever seen because the placeholder/cartoony models are incredibly unnerving in their own way. They look completely unnatural and uncanny.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah they still look creepy as hell, but i guess at least they don't look like spiders?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Gotta communicate "hostile danger to destroy" somehow :shrug:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Verviticus posted:

on pilgrim and probably voyageur i think it’s impossible to freeze to death sleeping indoors. even if you’re at 1c, you can’t get cold. also on those difficulties you will wake up if you get cold while asleep, so save your wood!

I thought you always had wood when you woke up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Gotta communicate "hostile danger to destroy" somehow :shrug:

Yeah the point was to leave them threatening/offputting while removing the specific phobia triggers. I think they did a pretty good job.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
On the "medium" setting, I found The Long Dark too easy. The story mode will reset your meters whenever you reach a cutscene/objective, so you can kind of just push through any low stats.

And even on survival mode, if you are in one of the areas with lots of buildings, the game throws a LOT of clothing and food at you. As long as you can make it back to a building, you won't freeze.

I think most of the "Challenges" are significantly more difficult however, since they often have time constraints or force you to go to areas with fewer buildings.

However, I still thought that the game was very cool and the sound of a storm rattling my tiny hunter's cabin while I roasted some rabbits and cured their hides felt pretty uniquely immersive. As was following phone lines in zero visibility conditions in order to find shelter. I'm a sucker for any game with impressive weather or one that forces me to return to a cozy home base every once in a while.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The story mode in TLD is fine as long as it's actually following the story but the amount of stupid collecting busywork to make it seem longer is just mind boggling. Can you believe it was even worse before they completely revamped the story mode?

After not playing TLD for a while and playing other survival games, I completely forgot you can't start a fire with sticks or something you can collect by yourself easily, you always have to have something to start it with. Tried the new map and promptly froze to death pretty fast after not finding any semblance of habitation anywhere.

That said I do agree that TLD has an immersion not many other games have. It might be far fetched to call it realistic but hey at least you're not fighting zombies in this game (yet anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If it helps, some zombie survival game have options/mods to turn off zombie. For example, 7 Days to Die, and CDDA.