Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

PirateBob posted:

While I'm at it...

How much money would I have to part with to get a GPU that can play 4K video (my gtx 970 can't do this) and run PS5 generation games at a decent level? I don't need 4k 165 fps or ultra details. 1440p at 60+ would suffice.

4k video playback should largely be taken care of by your CPU upgrade.

For games, a 3060ti or 3070 (if you can manage to get one) will be great at 1440p. You could probably go as low as a 2060 or 1080 if you don't mind turning settings down, but with used prices being what they are right now, buying new makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How critical is getting this heat sink onto the nvme drive? the screws don’t seem long enough to go through both the sink and the drive. Obviously I’m inclined to think “heat sink included it is needed” but I see boards sold without them, so I’m not sure.

akurlej
Feb 17, 2011

Boxman posted:

How critical is getting this heat sink onto the nvme drive? the screws don’t seem long enough to go through both the sink and the drive. Obviously I’m inclined to think “heat sink included it is needed” but I see boards sold without them, so I’m not sure.

I have a SFF pc which has two NVMe drives installed (front and back of mobo). Front one has a heat sink, back one doesn't. Heat sink one sits steady at about 60-70C while heavy gaming, non-heat sink one sits at 75-85C.

My use case is a bit extreme since I don't have much case cooling and my PC is in a cabinet. In my case, I'd definitely try to use the heatsink, but if you have a larger case and have more fans and aren't in a cabinet, I'd bet no heatsink is fine (assuming your typical load is just gaming).

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

4k video playback should largely be taken care of by your CPU upgrade.

For games, a 3060ti or 3070 (if you can manage to get one) will be great at 1440p. You could probably go as low as a 2060 or 1080 if you don't mind turning settings down, but with used prices being what they are right now, buying new makes more sense.

That's a lot of :20bux: ... drat.

I'll see how the 5600x handles 4k playback before I decide.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Of course I run games with all the settings enabled with a 3080. Why wouldn't I? Why buy an expensive card and then run games on low? Isn't the point of fast cards to get all the eyecandy with high fps..?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Boxman posted:

It's basically irrelevant, it's mostly a decoration. The controller may throttle speeds, but in practice only during benchmarks. The NAND flash chips on the other hand prefer running hot so you don't want to cool them. It might just be useful to have a metal strip that transfers heat from the controller to the flash chips.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ihmemies posted:

Of course I run games with all the settings enabled with a 3080. Why wouldn't I? Why buy an expensive card and then run games on low? Isn't the point of fast cards to get all the eyecandy with high fps..?

I don't think anyone was questioning that, they were just pointing out that your assertion that a 3080 is 'barely enough' for 1440p 144hz was a little over the top. Cheaper cards still hit 1440p 144hz at high settings for most older games, and newer games if you're willing to compromise on turning some of the settings down from ultra.

A 3080 isn't a bad fit for 1440p 144hz at all, but it's not the baseline requirement.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why are all these RTX cards called "dual" or "twin"?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

PirateBob posted:

That's a lot of :20bux: ... drat.

I'll see how the 5600x handles 4k playback before I decide.

Nvidia has cheaper cards on the horizon that may suit your needs/wallet better, so holding off isn't the worst idea. Assuming the leaked specs are correct, the 3060 and the 3050 Ti will likely also be suitable choices. Supply will still be an issue, of course.

PirateBob posted:

Why are all these RTX cards called "dual" or "twin"?

To distinguish them from 3-fan variants.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried to attach a noctua u-12s to an itx Asus z490-i ROG? any interference? i’ll be putting this in a nzxt h210

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you just need 4k video playback you don't need an expensive gaming card, an $80 1030 GT will do it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bus hustler posted:

If you just need 4k video playback you don't need an expensive gaming card, an $80 1030 GT will do it.

Onboard video, really.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I should have no issues running 2x 140mm fans off 1 fan header using a splitter, right? I looked online and by all accounts it should be fine. Saw some info that you could even run up to 3. I want to add a couple more fans to my case to eek out a little more cooling and only have 1 header available. I also have a cpu fan header available and that should also run a fan, shouldn't it? I'd run them off that but it's in such a weird spot on my motherboard that it would be a pain to hook a fan up to it.

Edit: it's been really fun building this PC and figuring it all out. I learned a lot that i'll take into my next build. I just hope I remember it all, as this PC will last me for 3 years or so. Taking what I know i've kind of thought about redoing it all, but i'll probably just add the fans and call it done.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 10, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Fallom posted:

Onboard video, really.

So...if someone wants to do this with an AMD chip, the choices are basically the 3200G/3400G (or the Zen/Zen+ equivalents)?

I think I know this answer, I just didn't realize that most of the Ryzen chips don't have integrated graphics. Like, you won't even be able to use your monitor without a video card.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I should have no issues running 2x 140mm fans off 1 fan header using a splitter, right? I looked online and by all accounts it should be fine. Saw some info that you could even run up to 3. I want to add a couple more fans to my case to eek out a little more cooling and only have 1 header available. I also have a cpu fan header available and that should also run a fan, shouldn't it? I'd run them off that but it's in such a weird spot on my motherboard that it would be a pain to hook a fan up to it.

Edit: it's been really fun building this PC and figuring it all out. I learned a lot that i'll take into my next build. I just hope I remember it all, as this PC will last me for 3 years or so. Taking what I know i've kind of thought about redoing it all, but i'll probably just add the fans and call it done.

2x on one header is fine. 3x is risky. It may work, but you may also blow the header and I don't like to take chances like that, especially when fan controllers can be had pretty cheaply.

If you have a CPU OPT header, you can use it, but not all board play nicely with non-heatsink fans on there. Some boards only let you control that header via CPU temp.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

So...if someone wants to do this with an AMD chip, the choices are basically the 3200G/3400G (or the Zen/Zen+ equivalents)?

I think I know this answer, I just didn't realize that most of the Ryzen chips don't have integrated graphics. Like, you won't even be able to use your monitor without a video card.

Honestly a better solution is to get the CPU you want and buy a cheap used GPU. Or go intel if there's an intel equivalent at a reasonable price. Playback at 4k should be 0 issue with nearly any gpu. This is very dependent on your price range/use case.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

2x on one header is fine. 3x is risky. It may work, but you may also blow the header and I don't like to take chances like that, especially when fan controllers can be had pretty cheaply.

Why would it be a problem, as long as you check what current the header is rated to provide? On my board it was 1A per header, and most of my case fans draw around 0.14A max. I just checked the noctua a14 and that only draws .13A.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why would it be a problem, as long as you check what current the header is rated to provide? On my board it was 1A per header, and most of my case fans draw around 0.14A max. I just checked the noctua a14 and that only draws .13A.

Or you could use math lol.

This is fine if you do the research. I’m both stupid and risk adverse so I didn’t think to check in that way.

But you should only do this if you triple check.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I like just having a central fan power location so this removes any worry of blowing up a header.

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-...JWMN6W2TFEYMSA2

15$ for a hub vs the cost of splitters and extenders

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Realtalk: am I actually going to be able to buy a 3060 ti, 3070, or Radeon 6800 close to msrp before March to complete my x570 + Ryzen 3600x build?

Industry media says "maybe" as far as i can tell

This sucks

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 11, 2021

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Here's the build I've been working on all day:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.95 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($125.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card ($994.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV273 Xbmiiprzx 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1520.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-10 22:42 EST-0500

Now I'm running into a few issues. I installed the GPU, but my PSU doesn't have enough eight-pin connectors to fit the GPU's two eight-pin slots. The connections the PSU has are a six+two, a six, an eight, and a four+four. I can get the six+two seated in the GPU, but the four+four won't fit for the life of me. The eight appears to be the CPU power and won't fit in the GPU. Do I need to just buy a new PSU to make this build work? PCPartPicker said my old PSU was compatible, but it isn't working out.

Additionally, when I boot the PC, it doesn't put out a signal to my monitor; the mobo keeps showing a VGA alert. I removed the GPU and plugged into the mobo, no dice. Seated and reseated the CPU, removed the RAM, tried a different monitor, HDMI instead of display port... still nothing. I can't even get to the BIOS. Other than taking my parts and problems to a repair shop, is there anything else I can try?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

Realtalk: am I actually going to be able to buy a 3060 ti, 3070, or Radeon 6800 close to msrp before March to complete my x570 + Ryzen 3600x build?

Industry media says "maybe" as far as i can tell

This sucks

Hop in the discords, set up phone push notifications, preset credit cards/apple pay, and jump when it happens.

You’ll get one eventually.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pinball posted:

Here's the build I've been working on all day:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.95 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($125.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card ($994.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV273 Xbmiiprzx 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1520.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-10 22:42 EST-0500

Now I'm running into a few issues. I installed the GPU, but my PSU doesn't have enough eight-pin connectors to fit the GPU's two eight-pin slots. The connections the PSU has are a six+two, a six, an eight, and a four+four. I can get the six+two seated in the GPU, but the four+four won't fit for the life of me. The eight appears to be the CPU power and won't fit in the GPU. Do I need to just buy a new PSU to make this build work? PCPartPicker said my old PSU was compatible, but it isn't working out.

Additionally, when I boot the PC, it doesn't put out a signal to my monitor; the mobo keeps showing a VGA alert. I removed the GPU and plugged into the mobo, no dice. Seated and reseated the CPU, removed the RAM, tried a different monitor, HDMI instead of display port... still nothing. I can't even get to the BIOS. Other than taking my parts and problems to a repair shop, is there anything else I can try?

Everywhere I’ve looked says that PSU has 2x 6+2 pin connectors. No other connectors on that PSU should go into the GPU.

Are you sure you have the right PSU there? Maybe the cable is tucked somewhere and you missed it? Or you accidentally plugged the other 6+2 somewhere else? 6+2 should only be for the GPU.

You’re not getting video from the card because it doesn’t have enough power (missing a 6+2 pin connector). You’re not getting any video from the motherboard HDMI port because your CPU doesn’t support motherboard based video (it does not have an integrated GPU like most intel chips).

IMO you plugged the other 6+2 somewhere else or you have the wrong PSU model.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hop in the discords, set up phone push notifications, preset credit cards/apple pay, and jump when it happens.

Screw that, I have hundreds of dollars of Amazon gift cards to burn

Get your poo poo together capitalism :argh:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

Screw that, I have hundreds of dollars of Amazon gift cards to burn

Get your poo poo together capitalism :argh:

Amazon pops there too. It’s worth it, it’s super super low effort, and it’s the only way you’re getting a card rn

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I have no idea what any of this means i just wanna buy a gpu

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 11, 2021

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What's the best way to get a cheap windows install nowadays?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hutzpah posted:

If you have a valid Windows 7 or newer key, it will activate Windows 10. Other than that, dunno! But if you can find a Windows 7 (Pro?) key for cheaper, that will work. I promise - I just used my Windows 7 key I got from college to activate a new Windows 10 install yesterday.

Zeno-25 posted:

Discord is a chat app with user-created channels/servers. Download it on everything you have, turn on notifications, and join this server. Follow the instructions that pop up in the intro chat room to get notifications on the card of your choice. Tapping the notification will bring you directly to the chat message with a URL to the vendor.

You need to be fast; Amazon and OE vendors still sell out in seconds (as in like 5 seconds.) Best Buy has been the Best Buy lately, as they let you queue up on the product page, but you still need to be around for the notification. Show up 10 minutes late and the queue may be over for weeks.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 11, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hutzpah posted:

Right here.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enojy posted:

Discord is a chat app with user-created channels/servers. Download it on everything you have, turn on notifications, and join this server. Follow the instructions that pop up in the intro chat room to get notifications on the card of your choice. Tapping the notification will bring you directly to the chat message with a URL to the vendor.

You need to be fast; Amazon and OE vendors still sell out in seconds (as in like 5 seconds.) Best Buy has been the Best Buy lately, as they let you queue up on the product page, but you still need to be around for the notification. Show up 10 minutes late and the queue may be over for weeks.
drat I'm starting to think I should have just bought a console and a good tv :thunkgun:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zeno-25 posted:

This means you wont be buying a new gpu.

4 ways to get one right now:
1. discord
2. local shop (may require you to buy more poo poo)
3. microcenter (requires getting there early and hoping they get a card in)
4. paying scalpers

Nothing has changed in 4 months, except store price are going up now due to trade agreements or lack there of.

I say this as a bitter person who refuses to do any of the above so I don't even have 1 of the 2x 3080s I wanted to buy for our household.

So have you tried Diablo 3, maybe final fantasy 6 on an emulator?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

drat I'm starting to think I should have just bought a console and a good tv :thunkgun:

After 0 research and 4 posts complaining about not being able to get PC hardware on one page, I’m thinking maybe you’re right?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

After 0 research and 4 posts complaining about not being able to get PC hardware on one page, I’m thinking maybe you’re right?

I did my research when I picked out the hardware I wanted, the rest is a failure of the goddamn market

Do you have any idea how much it sucks being stuck with a gtx 950 sc

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 11, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Typically January is the worst time to buy anything because nothing is in stock. Maybe it will be better in March who knows.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

The notoriously easy to buy ps5 or xbox series x?

Yes it is annoying but everyone who has built a pc in the last 4 months is in the same boat.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 11, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

enojy posted:

Not what I was hoping to see!

At least this was easily caught before I even attempted to install it. Seems to have leaked someplace between the inline pump and the heatsink/part that attaches to the CPU. This was going to be my first foray into water cooling in something like 20 years of PC building, and needless to say, I am now a lil scared.

Returning this and going with... well, a Corsair case & AIO kit from the local Best Buy, whatever man. (I thought Corsair was known for good RAM? ...in the 90s?) I just don't want to RMA anything else through the mail that involves liquids and radiators!

If you can find an Arctic Freezer II AIO I can highly recommend it. They're quiet and perform amazingly well, I'm really glad I went with one. No rgb if you care about that, but otherwise it's the best on the market

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I spent about four weeks casually checking discord notifications on my phone before I managed to get a RTX 3070 from Newegg and Ryzen 5800x from Best Buy. It is totally doable if you load all your payment information and set up discord to open your phone browser where everything is saved. I have never even managed to click through to Amazon to see something in stock though so that is probably more easily bought out by bots.

If you are looking to get 3060Ti or 3080 these may be harder to come by but there are plenty of people in this thread and the GPU thread who have gotten them lately. I was originally trying to get a 3060Ti and noticed 3070 drops happened more frequently so I started following those after two weeks of doing this. My understanding on the AMD GPUs is that they virtually don’t exist.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I bought the new Meshify 2 case and I'm considering just filling all the fan slots and run them as quiet as possible. I don't want to pay too much for them, though, so I'm just looking for some cheap and quiet 140mm fans.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

By the way, shout outs to the thread for consistently recommending the Meshify C. This was my second modern build, and it was loads easier to deal with than my NZXT S340 was a few years back.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Everywhere I’ve looked says that PSU has 2x 6+2 pin connectors. No other connectors on that PSU should go into the GPU.

Are you sure you have the right PSU there? Maybe the cable is tucked somewhere and you missed it? Or you accidentally plugged the other 6+2 somewhere else? 6+2 should only be for the GPU.

You’re not getting video from the card because it doesn’t have enough power (missing a 6+2 pin connector). You’re not getting any video from the motherboard HDMI port because your CPU doesn’t support motherboard based video (it does not have an integrated GPU like most intel chips).

IMO you plugged the other 6+2 somewhere else or you have the wrong PSU model.

Thank you so much! You were right; I unplugged everything and double-checked, and my PSU only has one 6+2. It's pretty old, so I suppose it might be time to upgrade to something modular.

In that vein, does anyone have any suggestions for a good compatible PSU? The MSI website says the GPU takes 2x8 pin connectors and suggests 650 watts.

Pinball fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to say thanks to all the regulars for keeping this thread an excellent fount of info that I once again used to update myself prior to building. I'd been wanting to build since early 2020 and finally got it done about a week ago.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $300.00 - Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (Purchased For $50.00 - ended up being free as it got lost in USPS so long Amazon gave me a refund...it came 3 days later)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $140.00 - Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $150.00 - Newegg)
Storage: Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $110.00 - Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Red (Retail Kit) 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $80.00 - Best Buy)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For $560.00 - Amazon - this was by far the hardest thing to get, took about 3 weeks of discord monitoring with 10+ "it was in the cart and poofed before checkout" incidents)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $70.00 - Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $120.00 - Best Buy)
Case Fan: ARCTIC BioniX P140 77.6 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $16.00 - Amazon) x 2
Total: $1612.00

I did white/black for my last build (5 years ago) that will get bumped down to kid computer, so I opted for black/red this time around. Vid card and mobo have very light RGB and it's just set to dim red.

lovely pic: