Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Flayer posted:

Nay on resolution 1. What's to stop just a few people turning up and voting on something to pass it with the required majority at an opportune time. There should be a minimum number of votes required for any constitutional changes.

There is already a quorum of 7 votes and a minimum 24 hour voting period written into the constitution, if that allays your worries at all. Is 7 too low? I think low is better than setting it too high and then never being able to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Parts stores pushing a soft reunification agenda.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm not going to cast a vote on the UK Threads Benevolence Funds Constitution since I am not a UK citizen or resident.
But if you are doing it this way to try to comply with some UK laws, my recommendation would be to print out the pages of the thread with votes and maybe date the back of said threads (or at least screen shot the votes and save them some place) if you are intending to rely on them as evidence.

I am sure you have already thought of that, but just suggesting it if you hadn't.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Aye on resolution 1. I have no real view on keeping the solidarity info in here or splitting it off into its own thread, but if there's a risk that people in need might miss a separate thread it might be best to keep it here.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Was curious and took a look at the current constitution at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SXho6ZVatRo56zyQzApJS08Qk_2tH2ShfE8QME0zvrc/edit.

I'm not a lawyer or from the UK, just noting some things I thought are odd/could be clearer.

Section 2.1.(1) says membership to the UKMTSF fund is open to all goons.
Section 2.1.(2) defines “UKMT member” as anyone that reads or posts to the thread.

UKMT members are not currently defined as a subset of goons. Anyone without a account can fulfill the requirements to be a "UKMT member" by reading the thread. If this is deliberate it causes issues later - only goons can have membership terminated.

Section 2.2 Talks about terminating membership. The document never talks about how someone becomes a member of the UKMTSF fund, just that it is open to all goons. I'm assuming you mean for a "UKMT member" to be considered a member of the UKMTSF but if so that should be stated. Seems odd to me. Can you consider someone a member if they haven't done something explicitly to join? Furthermore if you define membership as a class of people then it is odd to talk about terminating membership.

If you intend for only the committee members to be formal members I would make some changes: 2.1.(1) shouldn't refer to "Membership of the UKMTSF", 2.2 should refer to removal of the rights given to “UKMT members” in subsequent sections. Alternatively define “UKMT member” in good standing and use that, also saves some duplication below.

Minor stuff.

Section 2.1.(3) is pointless as “UKMT contributor” is never used.

"A goon is threadbanned, at the discretion of the Committee;" is this the correct way to write this? The committee isn't issuing thread-bans, and which would be the default state - a threadbanned poster isn't a member unless the committee overrules or is a member unless the committee overrules. Does the committee need a majority vote?

Does permabanned and threadbanned need to be specified as permabanned from the forums, and threadbanned from the ukmt threads?

Bi-elections are to be immediately held, but proceed according to the normal rules for elections, except for the number of candidates. The normal rules has the election held in early January, and to be announced in the January thread. Need to add an exception for the date as well or change the wording of the section to refer to the month of the election, and set it to be Jan for normal elections, the next month for Bi.

What occurs if a committee member gets permabanned in January?

Actually consider a Bi election with exactly five nominations. Would you still, under 2.6.(4), propose that all five are elected without a vote?

In 2.6.(4) who is the proposal too? What are the requirements or accepting/rejecting it?

Several places talk about "the" ukmt thread. Might consider defining it as the current ukmt thread?

2.2 wording seems a bit sloppy. Maybe something like "A goons membership is terminated if: (1) They are permabanned", and so on

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aye on resolution 1. I don't mind where the chat goes. (Although I definitely see the argument against filling the thread with ayes and nays every time).

stev fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 11, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Aye on item 1.

Julio Cruz posted:

manatees

yes I know they're not pinnipeds but I don't care

Much like Nice 'n' Spicy Nik-Naks are the best Monster Munch, am I right?!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Netflix did an Accidental Partridge

https://twitter.com/sabrinanetflix/status/1348313661543043074?s=19

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

RichardA posted:

"A goon is threadbanned, at the discretion of the Committee;"

assuming this is in reference to the ukmt and not some other thread I've missed, how is this to be enforced? are IKs/mods carrying out banning measures at the behest of non mod posters?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Time to make an Irish This Is Spinal Tap reboot where the amp goes up to 9/11.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

kecske posted:

assuming this is in reference to the ukmt and not some other thread I've missed, how is this to be enforced? are IKs/mods carrying out banning measures at the behest of non mod posters?

In context the " at the discretion of the Committee" is meant to say that the committee can consider a thread-ban a valid or invalid reason for removing membership (from the fund) at its discretion. I'm just picking a bit on the language.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 11, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In 'probably not a good sign' news my NHS nurse partner has just been sent an email telling her she should now start carrying a letter confirming she's a key worker with her at all times.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Necrothatcher posted:

In 'probably not a good sign' news my NHS nurse partner has just been sent an email telling her she should now start carrying a letter confirming she's a key worker with her at all times.

The government is trying to turn off all forms of social interaction except those that are needed for capital accumulation so yeah it's going to be illegal to be within 2 metres of anyone unless you're exchange money in some form or outdoors unless you're going to pay something.

Got to keep garden centres open though!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cross posting from the US Pol thread, but it might be of interest here as people were earlier asking about Parler and it's hosting.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm too much of a tech dumbass to verify any of this but :munch:

https://twitter.com/Crackmacs/status/1348510605217468417?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Given various (non-Derbyshire) police forces have all said "gently caress off we're not enforcing lockdown*, we have better things to do" over the last nine months I'm not sure whether the government finally deciding to do it """"properly"""" in the way they did it first time round in France and a few other countries (no leaving the house without filling out an online form describing where you're going and why) is going to be as hilariously ineffective as all their other attempts or, more worryingly, if they'll actually back it up with more money and powers.

* unless we can use it to gently caress with people when we're bored.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Cross posting from the US Pol thread, but it might be of interest here as people were earlier asking about Parler and it's hosting.

Fascists are bad, but man people are enthusiastically cheering on some pretty wild stuff because it happens to be targeted at people we don't like this time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

peanut- posted:

Fascists are bad, but man people are enthusiastically cheering on some pretty wild stuff because it happens to be targeted at people we don't like this time.

That's a pretty silly take

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

The first paragraph skates over a *lot* of detail and doesn't really make sense but that could be just a dumbass filter. Nothing in the rest of it seems impossible on a technical level, though.

I will however caution anyone thinking of joining in that a) running random code from people calling themselves Internet Warriors on your own hardware and network is extremely silly and b) using stolen credentials to download data including personal information from a website is definitely *massively* illegal.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Whether you get stopped for being outside by the police is probably more down to bad luck than anything else. There are not enough police in the country to keep tabs on everyone for every waking moment.

Also I'm sure there has been a blitz of police action recently as a tactic to try and get people to actually stay home, get stories in the news and people passing on second/third/fourth hand experiences to scare people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I will however caution anyone thinking of joining in that a) running random code from people calling themselves Internet Warriors on your own hardware and network is extremely silly and b) using stolen credentials to download data including personal information from a website is definitely *massively* illegal.
It was massively illegal when it happened to Iron March in 2019 too, but nobody cared because they were impolite Nazis who used the bad symbols. Now we get to see who cares when it's mildly indecorous Nazis who use the plausibly deniable symbols. :munch:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Flayer posted:

Whether you get stopped for being outside by the police is probably more down to bad luck than anything else. There are not enough police in the country to keep tabs on everyone for every waking moment.

Also I'm sure there has been a blitz of police action recently as a tactic to try and get people to actually stay home, get stories in the news and people passing on second/third/fourth hand experiences to scare people.

cycling home from work last week on a couple of days there were a few police on both sides of blackfriars bridge asking people where they were going

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

That's a pretty silly take

Want to bother elaborating at all? Hacking a service and publishing personal ID info online doesn't seem great to me, even if a lot of the people using that service were saying offensive things online.

Not to mention the "yay let's give all this to the cops" cheerleading.

Would you be happy for a similar thing to happen to Something Awful? It's not hard to imagine someone could find enough extremely questionable posts from here to justify it to themselves, especially from the forum's less enlightened years.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Feeling pretty anxious about going out for a walk at lunchtime today. I'm in the arse end of Scotland so theres not as much danger as someone in a big city or whatever and I've been trying to be really good this New Year about getting out for an hours walking at lunch but feels strangely wrong today, dunno.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

peanut- posted:

Want to bother elaborating at all? Hacking a service and publishing personal ID info online doesn't great to me, even if a lot of the people using that service were saying offensive things online.

Would you be happy for a similar thing to happen to Something Awful? It's not hard to imagine someone could find enough extremely questionable posts from here to justify to themselves, especially from the forum's less enlightened years.
Not even "less enlightened" years, there are plenty of things we say that are considered normal by us (and any sane leftists, nay, humans) but could well not be construed that way by the state if they so chose.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Necrothatcher posted:

I got one of those last time and I work in a cafe lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

Want to bother elaborating at all? Hacking a service and publishing personal ID info online doesn't seem great to me, even if a lot of the people using that service were saying offensive things online.

Would you be happy for a similar thing to happen to Something Awful? It's not hard to imagine someone could find enough extremely questionable posts from here to justify it to themselves, especially from the forum's less enlightened years.

They are nazis and we are not. Hth

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Voting Aye on 1.

As for Flayer's concern about quoracy, assuming the thread/discord remains as active as it is, I think we could raise it to 11 at a minimum so the committee can't pass anything by themselves (if that's the worry?) and probably all the way to 15, to be honest. If they don't remain active enough for 15 people to vote on stuff, I think the fund will probably be wound down anyway at that point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

That's what Nazi groups like Redwatch already do*. I doubt they'll stop if the left stops first.

*Did in their specific case, because the only thing that stopped them was being doxxed and then raided.

Like much of the criticism of antifascist action it comes down to "but how would you like it if the fascists did what they were already doing that you're doing this in response to?"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The continuity candidate, McAney won the Unison general secretary vote, so you can count on them to support Starmer as he guides Labour onto iceberg after iceberg.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Acab but cheerleading these people getting arrested is cool and good regardless

https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/1348562897283264513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Flayer posted:

Whether you get stopped for being outside by the police is probably more down to your race or their perception of your social class

fixed that one up a bit for you there

Also aye on one

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

peanut- posted:

Obviously I wouldn’t be happy if the same thing happened to Something Awful in the way I’m not happy if a goon gets hurt or dies or something. But when that happens to a Nazi it’s very good actually. The far right deserve to be exposed, denigrated and hounded until they have no means to carry out their evil ideology. Sorry if this seems harsh to you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

Thing was that Parler was crossing the line from 'saying morally questionable things' to 'actual criminal conspiracy', because organised fascism is by definition a criminal conspiracy. That may sound like hyperbole, but no, rejecting democratic politics and beautifying society through constant, cleansing violence is pretty fundamental to the ideology.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have one and I am a computer toucher who can work from home 100% of the time

Oops this thread moves quick, a key worker letter I meant

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/1348562897283264513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Yes, and gently caress that guy, but part of me is always reminded a joke that Zizek tells. IIRC it's a Central Asian joke from the Soviet era. I won't repeat it here because it's a horrible joke, but essentially the punch line is 'yes, Soviet soldier did [insert terrible thing here], but I managed to get some dust on his balls whilst he did it.

It's a combination of feeling some inkling of a victory, whilst also inherently admitted that there's really no victory here and we are powerless.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jose posted:

Agree that our enemies fighting each other is cool & good, but uhh maybe deliberately riling people into an antisemitic frenzy & normalising hardcore nazi views is actually very not good

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Parler is to Twitter what 8chan is to 4chan. It exists purely as a platform for people too grotesque and evil for the regular platform, and anyone who is willing to attach their personal details to it is a piece of poo poo who deserves to be hosed over pretty much by definition, and any exceptions would need an extraordinarily unlikely reason to be there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Police stopping anyone outside is pointless because above almost all of the restrictions sits the caveat 'except excercise.'

And even that's unclear. I still take the boy out for walks once a day because otherwise he acts like a total bellend. I don't meet other people while doing it, I skip busy places, and even then I still kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong.

E: I suppose to clarify, I don't feel like I'm breaking the letter of the law, because it's worded so badly with so many caveats, the old 'Don't go out. But if you do go out...' thing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Thread Does Poppers Paradox Of Tolerance : Episode 1,000,000