Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Police stopping anyone outside is pointless because above almost all of the restrictions sits the caveat 'except excercise.'

And even that's unclear. I still take the boy out for walks once a day because otherwise he acts like a total bellend. I don't meet other people while doing it, I skip busy places, and even then I still kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong.

This is exactly how i feel bobby, hours walk by myself in the middle of the countryside and its the most criminal I've ever felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think ultimately it's because the guidance is "Don't leave the house. Here is a list of vague and ill-defined reasons you can leave the house." Same with mixing households.

The only thing I can really see is that it says not to leave the household more than once a day, and apart from walking the dog, sometimes I have to get food?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Police stopping anyone outside is pointless because above almost all of the restrictions sits the caveat 'except excercise.'

And even that's unclear. I still take the boy out for walks once a day because otherwise he acts like a total bellend. I don't meet other people while doing it, I skip busy places, and even then I still kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong.

E: I suppose to clarify, I don't feel like I'm breaking the letter of the law, because it's worded so badly with so many caveats, the old 'Don't go out. But if you do go out...' thing.

It also has the effect of funnelling everyone into parks and fields. I went for a walk down the common at the weekend and it was heaving because it's one of the few things people can do outside without feeling guilty. It's also very easy to meet whoever you want and just say you're actually going out in separate groups to feel better about it. "We met two other households, which is technically against the rules but they were out anyway and we kept our distance so it makes no difference" is something I've heard a lot recently.

It's obviously better than having everyone in pubs and offices though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
People have responded adequately to you already peanut, so basically, What They Said

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I was going to go to town but it was pissing down so I put it off and now it's turned to snow which is even worse because the windows on the bus will be shut. I am never going to be able to get to the bank. World is cruel for those of us who refuse to ebank

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

From what I gather, transmission rate outside is very low unless you’re in close proximity to someone else for an extended period, even if parks are crowded you can probably still keep your distance enough to feel ok about it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How does the 'can survive on surfaces for up to 24 hours' thing factor in outside? Or is that another early pandemic thing that turned out not to be right?

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Noxville posted:

From what I gather, transmission rate outside is very low unless you’re in close proximity to someone else for an extended period, even if parks are crowded you can probably still keep your distance enough to feel ok about it.

Then you get into the territory of "my understanding of science versus the government's response" and having to decide which rules apply or not which sure seems like what the people causing this surge seem to be doing... Stupid quandaries

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

I was going to go to town but it was pissing down so I put it off and now it's turned to snow which is even worse because the windows on the bus will be shut. I am never going to be able to get to the bank. World is cruel for those of us who refuse to ebank

What's wrong with internet banking?

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barry Foster posted:

People have responded adequately to you already peanut, so basically, What They Said

A Worthless Post.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

How does the 'can survive on surfaces for up to 24 hours' thing factor in outside? Or is that another early pandemic thing that turned out not to be right?

There's a lot more space , so inanimate objects don't really act as fomites to the same extent. Things like plants have biology that makes them inhospitable to viral accumulation, and a lot of outdoor surfaces have the kind of nanoscale topology that also discourages virus. Also UV radiation outside, even in winter, kills virus

At the same time, I avoid handrails and any surface likely to be touched or coughed on and thua act as a fomite

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Starmer just gave a speech demanding an even stricter lockdown. When pressed for details he was like: "erm... ban house viewings?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1240693572573126656?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Implicitly pushing for herd immunity has been the most consistent policy of the Pfeffel administration. Well that and "gently caress you poors"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

ruthless collective action

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Of course, it doesn't matter how 'strict' a lockdown is: without a strategy to eliminate Covid, lockdowns will always be ultimately pointless, as the disease will come roaring back as soon as they're relaxed. The government are already talking about restrictions persisting into next winter, which is mind-boggling when you see how many countries have completely got rid of Covid and are now back to normal.

I've just signed up to the Zero Covid Uk campaign, which is pushing for exactly this strategy here. If we don't do this, I honestly think we're going to be in lockdown, on and off for years to come.

https://zerocovid.uk/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Blueshirt posted:

A Worthless Post.

Thanks for this example of A Helpful Post, forums user Blueshirt. I'll endeavour to live up to your example

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

What's wrong with internet banking?

I really value having a bank account that stops me from being overdrawn because I have no ability to not end up overdrawn. Which basically means the bank account I had as a kid which is ATM only is a real pain in the rear end but ultimately worth not having any mod cons to avoid running up obscene interest levels.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

In other news, government announces "no need for murder to remain a criminal offense if there is evidence that people are no longer committing it in enough numbers"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/TypingOfTheRed/status/1348592083678994432?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
is a yea acceptable in place of an aye

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jose posted:

Acab but cheerleading these people getting arrested is cool and good regardless

https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/1348562897283264513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I don't get it. Does he actually believe in "jewish lies" or is he just making a point about just how vile the people listening to him are?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I think it's a mistake ye not having a well defined members list. It's too open to abuse.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Someone linked that shouty australian bloke who I am guessing is catboy (?) in a GBS thread a while back and some people wondered if he was trolling them because that's a translated hitler speech

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Acab but cheerleading these people getting arrested is cool and good regardless

https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/1348562897283264513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/BL0NDAMBITION/status/1348415203092951043

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Blueshirt posted:

A Worthless Post.

DSYP

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

stev posted:

It also has the effect of funnelling everyone into parks and fields. I went for a walk down the common at the weekend and it was heaving because it's one of the few things people can do outside without feeling guilty.
Rules here in Wales are that exercise must start & finish at home (no driving, basically), so the parks by us are completely rammed all the time, and with everybody local in the parks obviously people are gonna run into people they know and stand around chatting for a bit. Social distancing is basically impossible, we've been avoiding the parks literally like the plague.

Instead, we've been shamelessly breaking the rules and driving off somewhere quiet when we want to go for a walk (staying within the general local area, obviously). Odd trend that I've noticed is that literally everyone you encounter walking in places that you'd have to drive to get to are really good at social distancing, people just get the hell out of the way and are very polite about it. Only the rulebreakers are actually acting with any sense, basically.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

crispix posted:

Someone linked that shouty australian bloke who I am guessing is catboy (?) in a GBS thread a while back and some people wondered if he was trolling them because that's a translated hitler speech

I think it was mistranslated; it left in the original German ‘jews’’ rather than the correct modern idiom ‘sjw’. Bit unfair to expect the crowd to pick up on that mistranslation when the two words are, by some strange coincidence, so similar.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mr Owl posted:

Then you get into the territory of "my understanding of science versus the government's response" and having to decide which rules apply or not which sure seems like what the people causing this surge seem to be doing... Stupid quandaries

the people causing this surge are the government, by forcing people into workplaces, public transport and schools (plus all their fuckups with schools and tiers/"lockdowns" towards the end of last year)

the rules are stupid and inconsistent, and even the loving government can't be arsed doing the bare minimum effort to pretend that's not the case

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1348617565552185346?s=19

It would honestly be fine if they were a bit arbitrary and more heavily enforced, as long as they were clearly explained and sufficient to suppress the virus. But telling people they can't take a coffee with them when they're walking or drive to a park that they'd be allowed to walk to, when you're also saying that everyone who can't reasonably work from home should go to work, is just pissing in the wind

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ffs

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1348197873322749952?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Not sure this is one you want to take credit for, Big T.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Peak oval office is like Peak Oil, it will never be reached as long as there's a market for it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I for one welcome Tony Blair and I hope you will join me in inviting him to continue giving testimony in his trial at the Hague

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blair does have much more to give. All his wealth and his life and liberty, for a start.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not quite sure how steadily pissing away a majority over the course of a decade and managing to lose 48 seats to a Tory party led by Michael loving Howard of all people counts as "at the peak of his powers" but yeah alright Tone.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

stev posted:

Not sure this is one you want to take credit for, Big T.

Of all the things I admire him for, it’s probably his humility that stands out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

forkboy84 posted:

I really value having a bank account that stops me from being overdrawn because I have no ability to not end up overdrawn. Which basically means the bank account I had as a kid which is ATM only is a real pain in the rear end but ultimately worth not having any mod cons to avoid running up obscene interest levels.

Feels like there must be a place out there that'll let you Internet bank as well as not go overdrawn. Having to physically go to the ATM seems positively American in its backwardness.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I have a generic HSBC current account with no overdraft facility on it, they asked how much overdraft I wanted when I opened it. I assume its the same elsewhere

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yeah, there are loads. Anything which is a 'basic' account is unlikely to have one - Which have a rundown here.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/bank-accounts/best-bank-accounts/best-basic-bank-accounts-axdj05l1236r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The fuckers can handle seven days on surfaces, unless those surfaces are frozen. If they're frozen we don't know the upper limit, or if there's one.

But direct sunlight will kill them real fast, and even indirect UV light can deal with them within a day easily.