Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

kecske posted:

I have a generic HSBC current account with no overdraft facility on it, they asked how much overdraft I wanted when I opened it. I assume its the same elsewhere

Get out of HSBC, they constantly top lists of unethical banks. Go to somewhere like NationWide.

Edit: And tell 75 other HSBC customers to do the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is there nothing that will sate Tony Blair's bloodlust?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So I think a while ago a few people were saying that they'd signed up for the NHS Volunteer Responders thing and never got a single request. I was in this boat too and actually changed phones in the summer so completely forgot about it, and have just set it back up because I want an excuse to get out of the house am a good person who wants to help out in my community.

Turns out that if you don't upload a selfie *and allow your profile picture to be shown* you'll never receive an alert, which makes sense because the pic is how the person you're helping knows its you turning up at their house. Within minutes of doing this I got a request which it turns out was on the other side of the river (hooray naive location algorithms), but demonstrates that there are actually plenty of people out there needing help.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

keep punching joe posted:

Is there nothing that will sate Tony Blair's bloodlust?

curious that he's all over the press since his good pal jeffrey epstein died and ghislaine maxwell was arrested

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pistol_Pete posted:

Of course, it doesn't matter how 'strict' a lockdown is: without a strategy to eliminate Covid, lockdowns will always be ultimately pointless, as the disease will come roaring back as soon as they're relaxed. The government are already talking about restrictions persisting into next winter, which is mind-boggling when you see how many countries have completely got rid of Covid and are now back to normal.

I've just signed up to the Zero Covid Uk campaign, which is pushing for exactly this strategy here. If we don't do this, I honestly think we're going to be in lockdown, on and off for years to come.

https://zerocovid.uk/

You're around Bristol aren't you? I get too busy to do anything myself but it would be good to get a local group set up.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So I think a while ago a few people were saying that they'd signed up for the NHS Volunteer Responders thing and never got a single request. I was in this boat too and actually changed phones in the summer so completely forgot about it, and have just set it back up because I want an excuse to get out of the house am a good person who wants to help out in my community.

Turns out that if you don't upload a selfie *and allow your profile picture to be shown* you'll never receive an alert, which makes sense because the pic is how the person you're helping knows its you turning up at their house. Within minutes of doing this I got a request which it turns out was on the other side of the river (hooray naive location algorithms), but demonstrates that there are actually plenty of people out there needing help.
I had a picture, still never got an alert

Also got a new phone since, should probably reinstall if people actually need it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ffs

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1348619445707661312?s=20

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gort posted:

Get out of HSBC, they constantly top lists of unethical banks. Go to somewhere like NationWide.

I believe Nationwide no longer have unarranged overdrafts so they'll reject transactions, plus they don't do a 'rejected payment' fee.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1348547432498540544?s=20

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gort posted:

I am with Coop for some legacy things as they used to be one of the few ethical-ish banks around, but moved to Triodos a few years ago. I can recommend them.

According to this they are still top

https://www.new-money.co.uk/nm-blog/top-5-ethical-bank-accounts-for-2020/

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Century Gothic is the Futura of the 21st Century dontchaknow

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Funny way to spell war criminal

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

https://twitter.com/andrew_adonis/status/1269657417308143617?lang=en
Apparently a consensus on Blair has just emerged in the last 6 months

That or Adonis is a shameless grifter seizing any opportunity to lie about how everyone loves Blair as much as him :thunk:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I saw that and nearly passed out from rolling my eyes. Like who the gently caress have they asked for that? Who do they think is actually thinking "I'd love to get this, but urgh, 11pm? What if I miss the repeat of Strictly?"

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Of course after his government's massive gently caress up of the NHS IT modernisation, he should be the last person to take advice from on this.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Borrovan posted:

https://twitter.com/andrew_adonis/status/1269657417308143617?lang=en
Apparently a consensus on Blair has just emerged in the last 6 months

That or Adonis is a shameless grifter seizing any opportunity to lie about how everyone loves Blair as much as him :thunk:

I can't wait for his "no, it's the protesters who are wrong" when Tone T Blair's statue gets thrown in the harbour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it's true, then it is only true because Tony Blair is:

and all Tories of at least the past decade are:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Extremely normal teenager with the surname Gove here

https://twitter.com/DuncanGolestani/status/1348221278004637705?s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tbf we're still vaccinating the elderly, and 8pm is well past their bedtime.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1348644251215814657?s=21

Apparently the virus doesn’t spread when Important People are talking

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

therattle posted:

I am with Coop for some legacy things as they used to be one of the few ethical-ish banks around, but moved to Triodos a few years ago. I can recommend them.

According to this they are still top

https://www.new-money.co.uk/nm-blog/top-5-ethical-bank-accounts-for-2020/

Aye, I'd have gone with the Co-op bank too but they wouldn't take me

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

But direct sunlight will kill them real fast, and even indirect UV light can deal with them within a day easily.
Hmm, perhaps we should be looking at some way of getting the UV inside the body.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I believe Nationwide no longer have unarranged overdrafts so they'll reject transactions, plus they don't do a 'rejected payment' fee.
You can manually cancel your overdraft with Lloyds - It's a pain but pretty easy to manage afterwards since they text you if the account is running low.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Adonis desperately wants to gently caress tony blair doesn't he?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hmm, perhaps we should be looking at some way of getting the UV inside the body.
Just need to wait for Blair to reach his new peak power level and start spontaneously emitting ionizing radiation, like a poo poo Dr. Manhattan.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

When you got enough waterproof UV leds, the sun shines out of your arse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure there was an FPlus episode on people who stick UV lights up their arse for health reasons.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

a poo poo Dr. Manhattan.

Thread title.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

On a positive note it looks like cases are either starting to stagnate or perhaps even possibly drop a bit in the last few days:

Obviously there's the weekend effect but at least it's not soaring quite as much anymore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Private Speech posted:

On a positive note it looks like cases are either starting to stagnate or perhaps even possibly drop a bit in the last few days:

Obviously there's the weekend effect but at least it's not soaring quite as much anymore.

That's the number of new cases. The number of current cases looks like this:

and the number of dead looks like this:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Oh I know it's only new cases, but at least it's not, uhh, accelerating? Which by itself is a good thing.

As for the deaths given the 1-4 weeks lag that's going to be soaring for a while yet.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 11, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

plateau'd at 60,000 cases a day???

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Jobs done lads, let's get the pubs open.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Reveilled posted:

Century Gothic is the Futura of the 21st Century dontchaknow

Century Gothic is a great font with a really stupid question mark. Most of my PowerPoints use it just because it's so clear.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just miserable.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1348665369406398464

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Gort posted:

Aye, I'd have gone with the Co-op bank too but they wouldn't take me

I ended up with the Co-op because they were the only ones who would take me.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Um...

Pissflaps posted:

I consider myself to be an engaging, high impact poster with a lot to offer.

:magemage:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wish I could find a transcript of that meeting between Archbishop Desmond Tutu and the Roman Catholic Church in Dublin in the 90s (may have been early 00s) over their refusal to back any HIV prevention campaign that gave out condoms, because there's a specific moment in it that I can't fully remember but it involves them going "ah well but if people didn't practice promiscuity and adultery and polygamy and sodomy then they wouldn't need them" and him just launching back with something along the lines of "if the people aren't following your public health guidance you need different guidance because you can't have different people."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively, tories support tory government unconditionally, big surprise.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Someone should re-run the FLAPS score algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pissflaps is Blair, yes. This was pretty obvious from their posting.