Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for games that have MMO-style cooldown / rotation-based gameplay, but which aren't actually MMOs. Any other genre is fine; it seems likely that RPGs will be over-represented but it doesn't even have to be an RPG. Just give me something with an absolute shitload of buttons, that gently (or not-so-gently) pressures you to use them at the correct time and in the correct order.

Perfect examples but I've already played them:
Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Right amount of buttons but still functionally an MMO:
Guild Wars 2

Okay, but not enough buttons:
Diablo 3
most Diablo clones in general really

Actually pretty much what I'm looking for, except it's not a computer game:
Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

* if there were a game that was just DFO but designed for single player / without the daily login drip feed of resources needed to get anywhere, i wouldn't even need to make this request because i'd already have my answer. unfortunately, i know of no such thing :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Final Fantasy XII takes a while to get rolling but is basically what if a single player mmo. The skill system and combat is actually pretty cool.

Tyranny Isometric rpg. I could put any infinity engine or PoE game here but I’m mentioning Tyranny because the cooldowns aren’t as long and you can design your own spells which is pretty cool.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for games that have MMO-style cooldown / rotation-based gameplay, but which aren't actually MMOs. Any other genre is fine; it seems likely that RPGs will be over-represented but it doesn't even have to be an RPG. Just give me something with an absolute shitload of buttons, that gently (or not-so-gently) pressures you to use them at the correct time and in the correct order.

Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Guild Wars 2

Diablo 3

* if there were a game that was just DFO but designed for single player / without the daily login drip feed of resources needed to get anywhere, i wouldn't even need to make this request because i'd already have my answer. unfortunately, i know of no such thing :v:

Divinity Original Sin 2
Battlerite also fits, but no idea if people still play that

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There is a 4th Ed ADnD game, Sword Coast Legends. No idea how good it is, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 10, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kingdoms of Amalur?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Thank you all -- I already own a bunch of those thanks to Epic Store giveaways, which makes this even easier.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Guild Wars 2

Diablo 3

Doom eternal

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Guild Wars 2

Diablo 3

Super Daryl Deluxe is this in a Metroidvania.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Guild Wars 2

Diablo 3

Cultist Simulator?

(note that one of the two creators is a sex pest so take that as you will regarding whether you choose to give them money or not)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Final Fantasy XII takes a while to get rolling but is basically what if a single player mmo. The skill system and combat is actually pretty cool.

Tyranny Isometric rpg. I could put any infinity engine or PoE game here but I’m mentioning Tyranny because the cooldowns aren’t as long and you can design your own spells which is pretty cool.

Ff12 isn't really about cooldown management at all, there's no concept of a "rotation" in 12, I have to say they probably will not want that. They didn't just say single player mmo.

nachos posted:

Doom eternal

This however is right!

Maybe not enough buttons but there's a lot.

I would also look at spectacle fighters like devil may cry?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 10, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I would also look at spectacle fighters like devil may cry?

I don't see the connection here, unless you're talking about trying to optimize the style meter (and thus avoiding the point penalty caused by being repetitive in your use of moves). Devil May Cry is IMO much more about maneuvering and reactions than it is about methodically optimizing the order in which a series of techniques is used in, which is I gather what Tuxedo Catfish was looking for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't see the connection here, unless you're talking about trying to optimize the style meter (and thus avoiding the point penalty caused by being repetitive in your use of moves). Devil May Cry is IMO much more about maneuvering and reactions than it is about methodically optimizing the order in which a series of techniques is used in, which is I gather what Tuxedo Catfish was looking for.

Yeah, getting high style requires you to rotate through different attacks and weapons instead of just using one. Not a great example either but I can't think of many rotations outside true mmorpgs...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Guild Wars 2

Diablo 3

Xenoblade

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Xenoblade Chronicles or Xenoblade Chronicles X

SAO Hollow Fragment and Hollow Realization, also, both have cooldown and resource management. Fragment has FFXI style gearswap macroing too, though it's a vastly shittier game than Realization.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh poo poo xenoblade chronicles 2 is an obvious one I missed. It has some spectacular plate spinning combat

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I got a tradition of playing Final Fantasy games whenever I'm stuck in bed with a fever, they are nice because I can just click through stuff and plot happens also the really goofy poo poo makes sense in a fever dream sort of way.

what should I play next? (on pc)

In the past I've played:

FFVII a couple times (fun but dated now)
FFII this was pretty boring, it felt like there wasn't much in the way of game mechanics
FFX very stupid in a good way, I enjoyed it
FFX-2 great combat but too easy
FFXII probably my favourite but very, very long

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 11, 2021

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
7, 8 and 9 all have wonderful A.I. Upscaling mods that make the backgrounds look totally 100% crisp. I’m at work or else I’d post some links and pictures but the results are amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FFII this was pretty boring, it felt like there wasn't much in the way of game mechanics

I'm guessing that you played the game that was released in the US as FF2. The actual FFII was a Japan-only release until sometime this century and it's not something anyone would ever describe as "[not] much in the way of game mechanics". If you want something pretty obtuse that is definitely worth checking out.

FFIV is a little dull now, but it was revolutionary at the time. The other SNES-era games, FFV and FFVI, offer a lot more in the way of replayability because they have a lot of game mechanics and there are numerous ways to completely break the games open. FFV in particular gets a lot of love nowadays because of the Fiesta, which is definitely worth checking out.

FFVIII is also a good source of obtuse mechanics and plot that makes a lot of sense in a fever dream.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
FFTactics also deserves a call out but it’s a much different game experience from normal FF gameplay

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
6 is very good and a lot of the story themes still hold up today

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I got a tradition of playing Final Fantasy games whenever I'm stuck in bed with a fever, they are nice because I can just click through stuff and plot happens also the really goofy poo poo makes sense in a fever dream sort of way.

what should I play next? (on pc)

In the past I've played:

FFVII a couple times (fun but dated now)
FFX very stupid in a good way, I enjoyed it
FFX-2 great combat but too easy
FFXII probably my favourite but very, very long

If you haven't played VI you need to do that first since its the best one :colbert:

VIII is cool but flawed, especially nice with the AI upscale as mentioned previously.

I would play in order: 6, 5, 4, 8, 9

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've played a bunch of Age of Rivals and enjoyed it. Can anyone give me another good card based game for Android, or a good turn-based RPG or roguelike again for Android?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I was trying to figure out Stellaris last night and had a thought - Are there any kinds of games set in space, but a bit more of a tactical thing, preferable with RPG elements? Preferably a little bit simpler than Stellaris, and with the ship combat thing being the main draw.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So I was trying to figure out Stellaris last night and had a thought - Are there any kinds of games set in space, but a bit more of a tactical thing, preferable with RPG elements? Preferably a little bit simpler than Stellaris, and with the ship combat thing being the main draw.

Starsector.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Starsector.

Yeah exactly this

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

pun pundit posted:

Starsector.

Is that game "done" yet? It's been in beta for like, 10 years hasn't it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oldstench posted:

It's one dude working on it I believe

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ur-Quan Masters HD
https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

It's a top down explore the galaxy type game. You escape an enslaved Earth in a stolen ship that you cruise across the galaxy upgrading and encountering aliens and building up a little fleet, exploring planets for materials and stuff. It's really cool and free. The ship combat is good but not great, it's really more about the story and the world and the exploration.

If you want something that is more focused on tactical combat check out Battlefleet Gothic 2

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Oldstench posted:

It's in an extremely playable state. Right now it's basically Mount and Blade in Space. No campaign, but all of the mechanics are in there and very solid. Fly ships in battles, gather up weapons, loot, and more ships to build and equip your fleet, repeat. Take on missions, trade, play politics among the various factions in the core systems, go exploring for survey data, old ruins, and colonization sites, then take your warchest you've accumulated and found a colony. Now protect and build up your colony while fending off attacks from pirates and the other factions. It's excellent, highly recommended. And an extensive modding community too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Cantorsdust posted:

It's in an extremely playable state. Right now it's basically Mount and Blade in Space. No campaign, but all of the mechanics are in there and very solid. Fly ships in battles, gather up weapons, loot, and more ships to build and equip your fleet, repeat. Take on missions, trade, play politics among the various factions in the core systems, go exploring for survey data, old ruins, and colonization sites, then take your warchest you've accumulated and found a colony. Now protect and build up your colony while fending off attacks from pirates and the other factions. It's excellent, highly recommended. And an extensive modding community too.

One of the mods (Nexerelin) turns the game into a literal 4x, so there is an endgame if you want.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I've played a bunch of Age of Rivals and enjoyed it. Can anyone give me another good card based game for Android, or a good turn-based RPG or roguelike again for Android?

Card Quest is an excellent card-based rpg for android, it's one of my favorites. You pick one of 4 character classes, fashion a deck, and set out to complete one of 3 different campaigns. Beating areas unlocks you new fighting styles, weapons, and sub weapons for that character, which translates to new cards you can play around with. You'll also get items, armor, and trinkets, which can all be equipped as rechargeable abilities.

Fights are pretty simple, at the start of each turn you draw a handful of cards and get a chance to attack your opponents; once you're done, they'll fight back and you can use defensive cards to reduce or negate their attacks. All cards cost energy, so you've frequently got to pick and choose what you can do. Going all out on offense is a good idea if you can finish the enemy's off, but if you're caught with no energy on the enemies turn (or you discarded all your defensive cards to make room for more offense) you're gonna get pummeled. It's very puzzly: it's frequently possible to make it through a fight completely unscathed, but it's not always obvious how to do so.

It's a real solid game. The different areas can get a little repetitive after a while, but I still find it fun to run through with each character. There's a while bunch of viable builds you can do and it's real fun to keep tinkering with your loadout.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sounds kinda Slay the Spire-y, which is right up my alley. Thanks!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The biggest difference is that instead of deck building during the run, you do it at the start. Beating areas unlocks gear, which expands your customization at the start of a run.

But yeah, in theory it's pretty similar to Slay the Spire. The flow ends up pretty different because energy is conserved between turns and you don't recover all your energy between turns, so you frequently will want to ration it instead of playing down to 0 energy every turn.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bloodline Champions
Dungeon Fighter Online*
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Guild Wars 2

Diablo 3

Halcyon 6

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I haven’t had a gaming pc since around 2012, but I’m in the process of building a new one. What are some pc exclusives, or games significantly improved by the pc experience?

Im not sure what I’m looking for, but for example, I’m excited to try Day Z, Tarkov, replay new vegas with mods, stalker. Any other fps rpgs from the past decade I may have missed? What about online games that have extensive social interactions like DayZ?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

If you haven't played VI you need to do that first since its the best one :colbert:

VIII is cool but flawed, especially nice with the AI upscale as mentioned previously.

I would play in order: 6, 5, 4, 8, 9

Thanks (and thank you to all the other posts). Especially cool to hear about the upscaling. UnFortunately it looks like I didn't get the 'rona but now I know what to play next time I'm stuck in bed.

ultrafilter posted:

I'm guessing that you played the game that was released in the US as FF2. The actual FFII was a Japan-only release until sometime this century and it's not something anyone would ever describe as "[not] much in the way of game mechanics". If you want something pretty obtuse that is definitely worth checking out.

Yeah it was probably the US edition. It's also entirely possible I was zonked out on cough syrup and simply didn't notice some crucial game mechanics.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You played Final Fantasy IV. Since we didn't get II, III or V in the US, IV and VI were released as 2 and 3.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Head Bee Guy posted:

I haven’t had a gaming pc since around 2012, but I’m in the process of building a new one. What are some pc exclusives, or games significantly improved by the pc experience?

Stardew Valley. The mod scene on PC is incredible and I just can't play the Switch version anymore. We play with dozens of mods, but Automate is the mod I'd miss most on a console.

If you like either Earth Defense Force or Monster Hunter, both have a reputation for being kind of a framerate trainwreck on consoles (EDF especially) but they'll be perfectly smooth on a good PC.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 13, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any other fps rpgs from the past decade I may have missed?

Prey
Dying Light
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are some good puzzle or rhythm games that are 2 player, online, and can run on a toaster?