Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Claims that it portrays Caesar's squid-head are just confused that a Roman bust might be cheaply made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Imagine if the only portraits of Obama that survived was the lovely political cartoons. "Evidence shows that Obama had a rare deformity that gave him a worm like head."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I was watching Valhalla Rising last night and had a Wiki odessey which lead to reading about weregeld. The article mentioned that the system of monetary compensation for a person's killing died out as Christianity spread in favour of capital punishment.

Now I know that, historically, the practice of Christianity doesn't always match the actual tenets, but this seemed weird. It's a bit niche, but would anyone be able to shed some light on this transition?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's partly that the rise of Christianity coincided with increased centralisation of government.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Take for example the Icelandic Commonwealth (930-1262) which had the Althing an assembly which doubled as a parliament and a court system but while there was technically a government it had very little executive power to actually carry out any of the laws it made. For example if you killed someone the thing could sentence you to skóggangur (e. Forest walking) which meant you were permanently exiled from society, all your rights were forfeit, and anyone who met you was bound by honour to kill you on the spot. In essence a death sentence but since there wasn't any state power outside the althing it had no way of carrying it out so the responsibility was hoisted onto society as a whole. Note that skóggangur would the harshest imaginable punishment and usually reserved for the most heinous crimes, three years exile and/or weregild were much more common.

It isn't really until the Lutheran reformation in 1550 (when church and state merged and things got much more punitive than ever before) that the state in Iceland actually had the ability and authority to physically punish or execute people.

e:
I imagine other societies in the region, even the ones with proper kings and what not, probably had the same issue with the limiteds ability of the state to carry out the law resulting in the courts usually acting more as a mediator of conflict than a punishing force.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 8, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I don't think you can tie the rise of christianity to the end of wergild, atleast in England, which was nominally converted over the 7th century, yet wergild was still in effect during the reign of Alfred the great, some 200 years later.
When was it removed from the Salic code? I suspect christianity and weregild were contemperanous amongst the Franks for a century or two aswell.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think it's partly that the rise of Christianity coincided with increased centralisation of government.

This is possible, because the previous paragraph in the article mentions reintroduction of Roman law in the 12th century and is referenced from the same text.

Weka posted:

I don't think you can tie the rise of christianity to the end of wergild, atleast in England, which was nominally converted over the 7th century, yet wergild was still in effect during the reign of Alfred the great, some 200 years later.
When was it removed from the Salic code? I suspect christianity and weregild were contemperanous amongst the Franks for a century or two aswell.

The bit I'm curious about is referenced but I can't find anywhere online to see the text. It says it was still around from 9th to 12th Century in the HRE, so yeah, contemporous. It kind of implies a change in attitude to how personhood is viewed, like you go from being able to put a dollar value on an injury like a person is a TV or a car, to punishing it and punishing it severely.

(I also like the note that in Beowulf, one of Hrothgar's issues with Grendel is that he's not paying the wergeld for his murders, which is just RUDE.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My understanding was that the weregild was less about putting a dollar value on a life, and more about putting a dollar value on your right to revenge.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Weka posted:

Elissimpark posted:

This is possible, because the previous paragraph in the article mentions reintroduction of Roman law in the 12th century and is referenced from the same text.

The bit I'm curious about is referenced but I can't find anywhere online to see the text. It says it was still around from 9th to 12th Century in the HRE, so yeah, contemporous. It kind of implies a change in attitude to how personhood is viewed, like you go from being able to put a dollar value on an injury like a person is a TV or a car, to punishing it and punishing it severely.

(I also like the note that in Beowulf, one of Hrothgar's issues with Grendel is that he's not paying the wergeld for his murders, which is just RUDE.)

I think that the European nations changed their original customs for multitude of reasons, the spread of Christianity being one of them.

cheetah7071 posted:

My understanding was that the weregild was less about putting a dollar value on a life, and more about putting a dollar value on your right to revenge.

Correct, it wasn't a fine, it was a method of stopping blood feuds.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

ChubbyChecker posted:

Well, that's something new I've learnt today. I'm starting to understand the appeal of capital punishment for a central authority now, especially if someone had differing views on the value of revenge.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Elissimpark posted:

Well, that's something new I've learnt today. I'm starting to understand the appeal of capital punishment for a central authority now, especially if someone had differing views on the value of revenge.

I'd say that it was a much more equitable solution, but, even then, it greatly differed by social class, with the poor swinging at the end of a rope and those of rank treated to a swift beheading (assuming they were lucky enough to get a competent and sober ax/swordsman).

Hence the populist appeal of the guillotine: instantaneous, ostensibly painless ends for all!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why not just Tarpeian Rock

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

Very interesting! For a while I thought there was a humane angle to it, but it was probably mostly "stop making GBS threads up my glorious kingdom with your petty feuds or I'll kill you all".

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
As freudian slippers pointed out, central authority was often too weak to make such threats.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

CleverHans posted:

I'd say that it was a much more equitable solution, but, even then, it greatly differed by social class, with the poor swinging at the end of a rope and those of rank treated to a swift beheading (assuming they were lucky enough to get a competent and sober ax/swordsman).

Hence the populist appeal of the guillotine: instantaneous, ostensibly painless ends for all!

Yeah, the concept is appealing even if the execution (har de har) is a whole new can of worms.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ugh, that's all the way up the top of the hill. Let's just strangle everyone on the Gemonian Stairs and call it a day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

While African drum music would have been known to the Romans, the fingerboard hadn't been invented yet.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
A similar transition took place in Athens during their democratic reforms. Family and tribe based revenge was replaced with courts that could adjudicate those kinds of disputes, with tribal systems that caused blood feuds and cycles of murderous revenge being dissolved. These courts could and did assign the death penalty for murder, so its not totally the same, but it does show how this issue comes up again and again in different societies.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

A bit of reading suggests that the transition might also be from murder/killing as a civil matter to being a criminal matter.

Apparently in traditional Islamic jurisprudence, it is up to the family of the deceased to prosecute rather than the state. In doing so, they may ask for equal retaliation (qisas) or possibly accept blood money (diya).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That kind of nonviolent conflict resolution is something that sort evolves on its own since a lot of people don't want to be involved in constant back-and-forth murder sprees.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Tangentially related, but the eastern Finns had a tradition of "collecting blood" well into early 17th century. The Swedish Crown expended a lot of effort to curb the blood vendettas and gain the monopoly on violence, since they tended to cause a lot of collateral damage. I read a study which had gone through the court archives of the period, and drunken brawls in the marketplace escalating into arson and murder and were distressingly common. Some of the people who settled into easternmost parts of the realm actually had done so to get away from their old feuds elsewhere, but while you can take a Finn away from drunken violence, you can't take the drunken violence out of a Finn.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ola posted:

Very interesting! For a while I thought there was a humane angle to it, but it was probably mostly "stop making GBS threads up my glorious kingdom with your petty feuds or I'll kill you all".

Yeah my impression (at least in England - or at least as its was presented in the History of England podcast which just covered this stuff in one of the episodes I listened to) is that people loved their blood feuds, so the weregild was pushed super hard as a way to stop endless cycles of violence.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’ll stop killing when I’ve killed everyone who’s wronged me ok?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

LingcodKilla posted:

Your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great granpa stole a sheep from mine and this is why 150 years later, you have to die.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dalael posted:

Your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great granpa stole a sheep from mine and this is why 150 years later, you have to die.

Hey he’s your grandpa too!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

LingcodKilla posted:

—Gaius Julius Caesar Divi Filius, 43 BC

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 11, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Just be like Edo period Japan, where the state is centralized and powerful enough to own a monopoly on violence but the people with swords still think blood vengeance is both cool and good, so you end up setting up a department of blood vengeance that clearly establishes the rules and licenses needed to get revenge for a father/older brother's death. Helped cut down massively on the amount of blood vengeance when killing people without the proper paperwork was a good way of getting yourself executed.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Don Gato posted:

Just be like Edo period Japan, where the state is centralized and powerful enough to own a monopoly on violence but the people with swords still think blood vengeance is both cool and good, so you end up setting up a department of blood vengeance that clearly establishes the rules and licenses needed to get revenge for a father/older brother's death. Helped cut down massively on the amount of blood vengeance when killing people without the proper paperwork was a good way of getting yourself executed.

amazing

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub and form BD4565/k Application for Blood Vengeance against a Government Official and/or Secret Family Organisation and the related supporting documents (certified).

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Don Gato posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought Stan Sakai made that up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing about taking revenge is that if people keep doing it, then one crime or mistake turns into like a viral catalyst where more and more people have to be killed in revenge for the revenge until either somebody gives up or all of one line is exterminated.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Don Gato posted:

The Japanese were huge fans of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind I see. And they say video games can't teach you history, pssh.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There were some pretty rational rules on the surface premise that it's okay to murder someone in vengeance: you could only avenge the death of fathers and older brothers (so you couldn't avenge a son or a younger brother). The vengeance target's family could not reciprocate vengeance. Internal passports between feudal domains was already the norm, so adding on a license was merely an additional bureaucratic step. Failure to follow these rules would result in prosecution as a common murderer.

Basically all this was really of benefit to the warrior aristocracy of Edo Japan, who could let off steam and pursue a very low level of blood feud without risk of it spiralling out of control into a new Sengoku. The Edo government had a darkly rational worldview.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Phobophilia posted:

you could only avenge the death of fathers and older brothers (so you couldn't avenge a son or a younger brother)

...so would people just have revenge babies?

e: Talkin' real long term family planning.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Also samurai would apply for them because you could go to places and say you were on a revenge quest and bum all sorts of things because who wouldn't want to support a man filling in his filial duties.

Edit:

This is where I first read about how blood vengeance worked in the Edo period way back in college, it's a wild ride.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 12, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why would you want to revenge your father? Hello inheritance!

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
You've just got all this money, why not go on holiday?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Why would you want to revenge your father? Hello inheritance!

Hard to enjoy your inheritance when there's a ghost following you around complaining about why you haven't avenged his death yet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

sullat posted:

Hard to enjoy your spa holiday when there's a ghost following you around complaining about you spending 2 weeks in Nozawaonsen "looking for clues" rather than avenging their death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Does anybody know the origin of the phrase "night of the long knives"? I can't find it in Nennius or Geoffrey of Monmouth but I'm just using lovely versions from the internet.