Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hmm, perhaps we should be looking at some way of getting the UV inside the body.

I'm pretty sure I've seen several vampire movies that had ideas on this subject.

e: vampiresnype :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Love the classics

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Finally, we have reached maximum guardian

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

I had a picture, still never got an alert

Also got a new phone since, should probably reinstall if people actually need it

Don't forget the "Show profile picture" bit, that's where I went wrong. Also you might need to tweak the radius a bit depending on how built-up your local area is - I cranked mine all the way down to 750m to try and minimise the amount of jobs on the other side of the river I see (not prejudice, just for once, just that the nearest crossings are miles away).

As it turned out as soon as I posted that another alert came in, which turned out to be picking up insulin from the hospital for a pregnant woman who was having to self-isolate, so between the warm glow of helping out my fellow human beings and the almost cartoonishly awesome reality that I just delivered literal life-saving medications on a Ducati I'm feeling pretty loving good about life right now.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

sinky posted:

Finally, we have reached maximum guardian

Agreed, a spicy hot take that is also milquetoast lib fuckery. Just needs some terf poo poo to hit the trifecta

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Watching the press conference because why not. Hancock is such a terrible speaker. Nothing interesting is being said but just can't deliver a message. Stumbles and mumbles.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
British society trip report: went to the post office with a bunch of accumulated parcels. Took long enough to hear the shift manager go on a rant about how Corbyn's brother is "one of them" and how, thank god, Corbyn didn't win because then Britain would have gone backwards and become a third world country and international laughing stock. Some extremely boomer line worker chimed in to say how some Corbyn meme the kids are sending around means they're basically brainwashed.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Hot take: the conceivable universe inhabited by Only Child mr J Corbyn is a marked improvement on this one.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

suck my woke dick posted:

thank god, Corbyn didn't win because then Britain would have gone backwards and become a third world country and international laughing stock.

Did you tell him the bad news?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I think it's a mistake ye not having a well defined members list. It's too open to abuse.
As much as I have bitched about Discord in the past, I think this is a good reason to centre the UKMT charity fund stuff around Discord instead of the thread. It's a bit strange to make the defining characteristic of membership something that (as far as I know) none of the charity admins have control over; like, what happens if (for some reason) somebody administering the fund gets perma-d from the forums? Discord membership seems much easier to quantify and moderate. It also seems like it would be an enormous hassle to keep track of previous motions / votes etc if they're all in the thread.

I vote for creating a charity admin channel in the Discord to keep track of the latest version of the charter, performance of the fund etc and just posting here when there's an important update / vote taking place.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

suck my woke dick posted:

British society trip report: went to the post office with a bunch of accumulated parcels. Took long enough to hear the shift manager go on a rant about how Corbyn's brother is "one of them" and how, thank god, Corbyn didn't win because then Britain would have gone backwards and become a third world country and international laughing stock. Some extremely boomer line worker chimed in to say how some Corbyn meme the kids are sending around means they're basically brainwashed.

Piers Corbyn is a whack job, tbf.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Off topic slightly but some folks will get a kick out of this. It’s that time of the year where I get on with the depressing task of shopping around for car insurance when my current provider inevitably whacks the renewal up. Despite not having any offences or incidents.

One provider (who was surprisingly the cheapest so far) had a ClearScore style breakdown of all the various factors that determine the quote you get, which I’ve never seen before and it’s honestly pretty useful. But one thing caught my eye.

The gammons are going to love this if this kind of information becomes more commonplace. These days you get arrested and put in jail charged higher premiums just for being English!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Off topic slightly but some folks will get a kick out of this. It’s that time of the year where I get on with the depressing task of shopping around for car insurance when my current provider inevitably whacks the renewal up. Despite not having any offences or incidents.

One provider (who was surprisingly the cheapest so far) had a ClearScore style breakdown of all the various factors that determine the quote you get, which I’ve never seen before and it’s honestly pretty useful. But one thing caught my eye.

The gammons are going to love this if this kind of information becomes more commonplace. These days you get arrested and put in jail charged higher premiums just for being English!

I'm amazed they tell you this! I used to work for an insurance company (both for the customer side and then moving into the background) and we were under strict orders to never reveal the secrets of the rates tables.

It's surprising they rate on country though (and it's out of 25 ???). I wouldn't expect there would be much correlation between someone in the south west compared to, say, Birmingham. Possibly it's a very tiny rating step (we had a few that were like 0.995 for being a member of a driving club, and it made next to no difference).

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I was certainly surprised on moving out from London to see my insurance (on a 13yo Audi A4) drop from c. £150/m to £19.70 a month.

Now admittedly I lived on a well dodge estate, but interestingly my employment status shifting from ‘unemployed owing to disability’ to ‘company director/confectioner’ was worth £15 a month in and of itself.

It’s loving voodoo is what it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's systematized profiling and if they don't do it based on race it's only because it might be illegal.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Camrath posted:

I was certainly surprised on moving out from London to see my insurance (on a 13yo Audi A4) drop from c. £150/m to £19.70 a month.

Now admittedly I lived on a well dodge estate, but interestingly my employment status shifting from ‘unemployed owing to disability’ to ‘company director/confectioner’ was worth £15 a month in and of itself.

Like EvilHawk I too used to speak to people about car insurance, and the explanation for this would have been that on average someone who is employed either doesn't drive their car at all most days (if they commute via public transport), or if they do, their car will often spend most of its day in a car park where the relative risk is lower (thefts are more likely to be glass breakages, and actual damage worth claiming for is much rarer than damage minor enough that the customer repairs themselves).

Periodically the company went through fits and spurts of deciding that the optics of charging people more money because they'd become unemployed were too icky to justify, before remembering a few months later just how much they loved money and going right back to doing it anyway.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Camrath posted:

It's not really that much voodoo. At least in the company I worked out basically every question you ask has a weighted percentage attached to it that is applied to a base premium worked out through some admittedly voodoo ways. Unemployment might be 200%, company director may be 50% so at the end you get your annual premium. One of my jobs was figuring out the maximum/minimum premium which was always good fun to figure out the worst place to live (Birmingham, it's always Birmingham) was.

OwlFancier posted:

It's systematized profiling and if they don't do it based on race it's only because it might be illegal.

No race or gender, but age is fine! Also they totally still have all the tables in case the government decides it's fine to charge men more again!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Ash Crimson drafting up a post already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An insurance company operating ideally will identify and exacerbate existing inequality, because sustaining damage to your car is a relatively higher risk for poor people then wealthy ones, and that should be reflected in the premiums.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Ash Crimson drafting up a post already.

We all have our problems okay

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget the "Show profile picture" bit, that's where I went wrong. Also you might need to tweak the radius a bit depending on how built-up your local area is - I cranked mine all the way down to 750m to try and minimise the amount of jobs on the other side of the river I see (not prejudice, just for once, just that the nearest crossings are miles away).

As it turned out as soon as I posted that another alert came in, which turned out to be picking up insulin from the hospital for a pregnant woman who was having to self-isolate, so between the warm glow of helping out my fellow human beings and the almost cartoonishly awesome reality that I just delivered literal life-saving medications on a Ducati I'm feeling pretty loving good about life right now.

haha, I think I'd be feeling pretty high after something like that too, good for you mate, that's a zero calorie good time right there

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

'member the Forde Inquiry?

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/labour-antisemitism-forde-inquiry-leaked-report-what-happening

What were all that about?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

You had me at inflation

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

An insurance company operating ideally will identify and exacerbate existing inequality, because sustaining damage to your car is a relatively higher risk for poor people then wealthy ones, and that should be reflected in the premiums.

On the other hand, poor people are much likely to own cars that cost next to nothing to insure because they're not worth anything in the first place. The system works!

A few years ago some insurers were working names into their pricing algorithms - they couldn't charge a different premium based on race but they could sure as hell charge more if you have a foreign sounding name! I think that's been pretty much stamped out now though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If people don't follow Jack Monroe, she's got a thread on twitter about how lovely some of the food parcels that replaced vouchers are.

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1348698098139328513

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If people don't follow Jack Monroe, she's got a thread on twitter about how lovely some of the food parcels that replaced vouchers are.

I'm the single pathetic tomato :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

That Local Authority thing is barely over a fiver, and maybe about £2 without the 'desserts'.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

On a not-exactly-related-but-still-amusing note, the CEO of the EHRC broke the lockdown rules by loving off to her second home in Wales over Christmas (and her neighbours snitched on her, as they should every posh gently caress who has a second home in Wales).
In fairness, she's probably used to following explicit instructions from the Govt, so I can see why not having those could have confused her.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Car insurance absolutely exacerbates existing inequalities. Poorer area = more crime = higher premiums = more fraud = more crimes = higher premiums.

I think someone else said it in this thread recently, but so long as you are legally obliged to have car insurance, the industry should be nationalised.

Also I'm annoyed cos I pitched the idea of sharing rating info with customers in my last insurance job as an 'innovation consultant' but I wasn't even allowed to put together a POC.

This is because the big boss was convinced that what customers really want is to be able to buy insurance via smart speaker (hint: they don't), and so we should pour hundreds of hours into that instead.

I'm not bitter.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Flegs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/kv0abe/oc_what_would_the_uk_flag_look_like_if_it/

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Committee Voting is open :siren:

* Voting will follow the same STV process as last year
* Voting is open for 1 week from Jan 11th, 7:00pm to Jan 18th, 7:00pm
* Indicate your preference for as many or as few candidates as you want.
* Lower numbers equal higher preference, with 1 being the highest and 8 being the lowest.
* The order candidates appear on your ballot will be randomised each time you load the page.

Cast your votes at: https://voting.ukmt.fund

Issues voting? Contact me here via PM or on Discord (BillDrummond), or mail ops@ukmt.fund

Your candidates and their statements (also available at the voting site)

AceClown

AceClown posted:

"Being able to help so many people this last year has been an incredible experience and I wish to continue to do all I can to support the fund and its goals. I am generally online a considerable amount and this means I can respond quickly and efficiently to any support requests. I would very much like to carry on the work with the committee, we have work to do to line up charitable status and being involved in that would mean a great deal. Thank you for your consideration. gently caress the Tories."

Captain Fargle

Captain Fargle posted:

"Hello everyone, I'm Fargle. I'm one of the current committee members standing for re-election. I'm a very active member of the community on Discord and I've been with the Fund since the beginning. As a disabled man living on benefits I think a bring a good perspective to the group. It's been a great experience for me this past year and I'd very much like to continue in the role. Thank you."

Iymarra

Iymarra posted:

"I, as assuredly with the other candidates, have a desire to help people. Given how utterly screwed everything is at the minute, that help can really only be delivered in a number of ways. I'd like to help with the UKMT-SF because above all, it is pure and simple good work. Solidarity alone doesn't put food in a stomach or pay the leccy bills. In an ideal world, this wouldn't be needed but since we don't live in an ideal world, help needs to be distributed to those that request it.
Beyond these earnest statements, I have prior form in charitable works, having been on the charity committee for a organisation in the area from 2010 to 2015. In this capacity, I pushed and achieved funding from us towards a number of local events, including a Children's Gala, Highland Games and towards the local foodbank as a priority. I look forward to hopefully being selected and helping out directly, thanks."

Maugrim

Maugrim posted:

"You probably know me as that guy who posts the monthly updates and drafted the Fund's constitution. I like organising things, keeping orderly records and messing around with spreadsheets, which I feel are useful traits for helping to run any organisation. It's been a privilege to serve on the committee for the last ten months and I hope I'll be able to continue to do so as we work towards the Fund becoming a registered charity."

Tsietisin

Tsietisin posted:

"Over the past year, the solidarity find has helped out many people from our forum, myself included. I would like the opportunity to give something back by helping the already great committee over the next year.
In addition to just wanting to help, I am also a qualified ICSA company secretary and will be help with regulatory issues that may arise.
I hope you will give me the opportunity to continue the great work started by the previous committee"

The DPRK

The DPRK posted:

"I would like to become a committee member for the solidarity fund because I feel close to the UKMT community and I would like to give some of my time and energy to help overcome the hardships some of our most vulnerable members are facing right now. I have experience working with food banks, homeless shelters, and soup kitchens, and right now I am unable to volunteer with any of those orgs in a meaningful way due to covid. Tackling poverty and financial hardship is very close to my heart and I would be very glad to be part of a project that is effecting positive change in people's lives. I am also a novice organiser and would really welcome the opportunity to cut my teeth learning from a project like this so I can apply my experience to other projects in the future."

Cast_No_Shadow

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I'm a long time goon and mostly read rather than post (discord aside). I work from home nearly every day so availability is high and I've plenty of time to dedicate. I don't think there's anything that really makes me any better than anyone else, I just want to help cause this community is awesome."

Rahzmataz

quote:

"I'm not much of a forum type but I spend a lot of time on the UK Goons Discord so people will know me better from there. When the fund first launched, I was a little skeptical, but since then I've seen it help plenty of people, myself included. I've given a little back and now i'd like to try and do more, hence putting myself forward for the committee. I've been working with a Mutual Aid in my local area for about a year now and it's been deeply rewarding to put my skills (I'm a self employed computer fixer by trade) to good use, and for a good cause. It's been a rough year and the Fund has been an absolute lifeline for so many people, and I just want to help if I can.

Good luck to everyone standing!"

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 11, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

Also I'm annoyed cos I pitched the idea of sharing rating info with customers in my last insurance job as an 'innovation consultant' but I wasn't even allowed to put together a POC.

Insurers will never make their ratings transparent. They're terrified that doing so will cause every customer to game the system and pay next to nothing (which they would and should do, obviously).

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

stev posted:

Insurers will never make their ratings transparent. They're terrified that doing so will cause every customer to game the system and pay next to nothing (which they would and should do, obviously).

I mean, this whole conversation was started by a poster sharing their experience with an insurer doing this very thing.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

stev posted:

There's not really a lot of room for you to game the system (outside of fraud). You can't exactly change where you live. That being said, when I worked in customer service we would try and lower the premiums - the big one (and I'm not sure if this is true) is to put your mileage at 4,000 per year rather than 3,000. This seems paradoxical (surely if you drive less you're less of a risk) but a year or so before someone somewhere had said "put it at 3,000 it'll be cheaper!" so loads of people did and then... had accidents. So the underwriters saw this and said, clearly, if you're driving 3,000 miles you're more a risk and put that above 4,000. Mileage is one of the few areas you can game.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Perfect Element posted:

I think someone else said it in this thread recently, but so long as you are legally obliged to have car insurance, the industry should be nationalised.
I don't know about recently, but having a more comprehensive version of something like this replacing mandatory third party insurance and then you pay extra to an insurance company if you want fire/theft/fully comp has been a pet thing of mine for a good while.

Saves on all the time and effort of going around harassing 'uninsured drivers' too, because there'd be no such thing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

There's not really a lot of room for you to game the system (outside of fraud). You can't exactly change where you live. That being said, when I worked in customer service we would try and lower the premiums - the big one (and I'm not sure if this is true) is to put your mileage at 4,000 per year rather than 3,000. This seems paradoxical (surely if you drive less you're less of a risk) but a year or so before someone somewhere had said "put it at 3,000 it'll be cheaper!" so loads of people did and then... had accidents. So the underwriters saw this and said, clearly, if you're driving 3,000 miles you're more a risk and put that above 4,000. Mileage is one of the few areas you can game.

Insurance fraud is a real weird one to rate, because you also have the conundrum that people lying to get cheaper premiums are less likely to claim because they don't want to get caught lying. So, perversely, if you know someone's fiddling around with their info to lower their rates, then they are actually a potentially better risk than a more honest person who otherwise fits the same profile.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

EvilHawk posted:

I had this but with 9,000 miles/10,000 miles per year. One of the advantages of price comparison websites is that it's way easier to optimise these sorts of things. The voluntary excess is another one that benefits from experimentation.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Having my first Asda delivery arrive today and got an email this morning saying half my items can't be included in the delivery. Is this normal? It's not anything exotic, stuff like bin bags aren't available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Sounds like Boris went to Bristol today for a photo or two...