Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Melthir posted:

I mean outside of a certain Brit cop most of us LEO'S that have posted have been fairly chill and open about the fact that we actively disagree with the way most shore side LE is done and have worked to change how our coworkers go about their job.

Except Martello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

I'm not a fan of that forum for a number of reasons, a big one being when I've tried to read it, it's usually just people being lovely and sniping at each other.

Well, yeah. Posting isn't my job, I do it in my free time and I generally just post what I think without really curating. Quality Varies. You've done the thing you're complaining about here on this same page which goes to show that it's not easy to avoid posting like this, because posting thoughtfully takes time and patience, and everyone posting in this thread is stressed for one reason or another. You probably didn't want to be lovely and snipe, but it just happened anyway. I think that's normal and I don't mind. This isn't a happy feel-good thread, a lot of the issues discussed here don't have realistic short-term solutions, and a lot of people posting in this thread saw things get worse over the past few months with their own eyes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Melthir posted:

I mean outside of a certain Brit cop most of us LEO'S that have posted have been fairly chill and open about the fact that we actively disagree with the way most shore side LE is done and have worked to change how our coworkers go about their job. Law enforcement needs a purge and I'm really hopeful it happens with the group of guys coming up, the younger guys we are getting now aren't the poo poo stains we used to get in the past making jokes about be judged by 12 rather then carried by 6.

I meant Kramering in real life. Busting into dwellings without cause or warning, sometimes looking surprised themselves at the results, also going on racist tirades and then saying they’re not racist.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

this is a problem with many known solutions. just stop and frisk people you see posting suspiciously, tell them this is a nice subforum and that they should stay in theirs.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Oh my God let's just stop

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

cops dying while wearing plate carriers but not a mask is really funny lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Speaking of, can 100% confirm we wearing masks while wearing full kit and carrying weapons and such in OIR.

Even when like... using a radio or yelling at people!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cops looking very civil while dealing with these patriots storming the capitol today. Imagine if they responded with the same force they did during the BLM protests.

Thank you for your service, fellas.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:acab:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

At least the ghoulishness has been called out, and that’s what’s most important.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1346920198461419520?s=21

https://twitter.com/cevansavenger/status/1346920924310867968?s=21

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 6, 2021

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hey in case youre keeping score at home the police aided and attempted coup so no youre not 'reforming' this #acab

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 14, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

hey in case youre keeping score at home the police aided and attempted coup so no youre not 'reforming' this #acab

:decorum:

https://twitter.com/alafairburke/st...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1346911564197023750?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The preview image somehow even more on point than the full meme.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?
Remember when cops shoved that elderly man to the ground during a BLM protest and one cop prevented another from rendering aid even after blood started coming out of his ears?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChipMitchell1/status/1347207462097715200?s=20

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm in a LEO Facebook group consisting mainly of American cops

98% of them are hardcore republicans and support Trump

There was a big thread on the picture of that person wearing the TN TBL patches on a vest vaulting over a post carrying zipties and a pistol in a holster

They were claiming it was photoshopped

They also claimed it was all ANTIFA's doing

A number were openly making seditious comments but these were deleted by the admin

Yikes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hezzy posted:

I'm in a LEO Facebook group consisting mainly of American cops

98% of them are hardcore republicans and support Trump

There was a big thread on the picture of that person wearing the TN TBL patches on a vest vaulting over a post carrying zipties and a pistol in a holster

They were claiming it was photoshopped

They also claimed it was all ANTIFA's doing

A number were openly making seditious comments but these were deleted by the admin

Yikes.

The police force in America is lousy with nazis and white supremacists.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

The police force in America is lousy with nazis and white supremacists.

Is it still considered lousy when the thing infected with lice is, itself, a giant louse?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Louse squared? The ur-louse state? Oo! The louse-ur stare!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So I heard a cop died during the riot yesterday.

If someone in a car full of people kills a cop, everyone in that car is charged with murder.

If someone hits a cop car with their car, everyone in that car gets charged with attempted murder of a police officer.

question.

What’s going to happen to those at the riot who were there when the cop received his mortal injuries?

This is clearly a rhetorical question since we all know the answer.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yo how is leo facebook taking the fact that one of their own got their brains stoved in by a fellow maga freak

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Quietly, from what I've seen.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/jseattle/status/1347777783997497345?s=19

SPD Officers in D.C. Referred to OPA

Chief Adrian Diaz posted:

Today the Seattle Police Department was made aware that at least two of its officers were reportedly in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday. The Department fully supports all lawful expressions of First Amendment freedom of speech, but the violent mob and events that unfolded at the U.S. Capitol were unlawful and resulted in the death of another police officer. The incident has been forwarded to the Office of Police Accountability for full review of any SPD employee activities at the U.S. Capitol.

The OPA will investigate whether any SPD policies were violated and if any potential illegal activities need to be referred for criminal investigation. If any SPD officers were directly involved in the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, I will immediately terminate them. While OPA investigates, these officers have been placed on administrative leave.

loving the lower bound on this

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Phobophilia posted:

yo how is leo facebook taking the fact that one of their own got their brains stoved in by a fellow maga freak

One way to see what cops are thinking is Reddit’s protectandserve dumpster fire, mostly just “BOTH SIDES”ing it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/eyesonthestorm/status/1347783113661849602?s=19

If you click through it's extra funny because SPOG dude was retweeting Andy Ngo, noted fascist propagandist

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

Antifa infiltration

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Are they just going to dissolve the entire capitol police and have the marines take over or something?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Are they just going to dissolve the entire capitol police and have the marines take over or something?

The Capitol Police are the only federal LEOs in the country that answer to the Legislative instead of the Executive. The primary police in DC are actually the MPDC. USCP just (theoretically) protects Congress, so Congress would have to decide who they want guarding the gates, as it were. It can't be a military organization, though, due to Posse Comitatus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlternateNu posted:

The Capitol Police are the only federal LEOs in the country that answer to the Legislative instead of the Executive. The primary police in DC are actually the MPDC. USCP just (theoretically) protects Congress, so Congress would have to decide who they want guarding the gates, as it were. It can't be a military organization, though, due to Posse Comitatus.

Posse Comitatus would not prevent Congress form passing a law saying the Marines are now the capitol police because technically PC doesn't apply to the Navy and USMC, and, more importantly, Congress would have to pass a law specifically effectuate such a change, which is allowed both explicitly by the PCA and because congress can always amend it's own laws.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Posse Comitatus would not prevent Congress form passing a law saying the Marines are now the capitol police because technically PC doesn't apply to the Navy and USMC, and, more importantly, Congress would have to pass a law specifically effectuate such a change, which is allowed both explicitly by the PCA and because congress can always amend it's own laws.

PC doesn't apply to the Navy and USMC, legislatively, but it does apply to them via 10 USC 275 and DoD directive (which Congress has no control over directly).

But, you're right. They can just amend PC if they want to. But then the whole question becomes moot.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 11, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlternateNu posted:

PC doesn't apply to the Navy and USMC, legislatively, but it does apply to them via 10 USC 275 and DoD directive (which Congress has no control over directly).

But, you're right. They can just amend PC if they want to. But then the whole question becomes moot.

They don't have to amend the PCA. The PCA itself says Congress can write exceptions. They absolutely could pass something that allows the military to take over the capitol police mission without changing anything about the PCA.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Replying to a convo in current events, I'll like to here after to keep cop chat put of this thread, so this is non sequitur to the discussion already going on here.

Defenestrategy posted:

Thought experiment:if you saw a fellow cop get a little bit over zealous with putting boots into some kids head, would you stop the guy and report him knowing that that probably ends your career ascension, so you can't affect change on the department, or would you say to your self, 'well the kid might not die and this might be a one off thing and Ill definitely report him if he does something worse, and besides once I make captain I can really turn poo poo around.' Thats basically the issue you'd run into with leftists trying to affect change from the inside, and I personally couldn't make that compromise, and I feel anyone willing to make that kind of compromise shouldn't be apart of a leftist reformed police force anyway.

Anyways I'd like a medium frosty and a small fry please.

There's this idea bouncing around CE thread right now that there's no point in leftists trying to be cops because a single cop can't make a single difference. But this seems to me to be the same issue with voting--a single vote doesn't matter. Leftists participating outnumbered in any public service field will certainly find a hill to die on before they've made meaningful change. For it to work, you would need enough to make a change or a large enough concentration (i.e. many from all over relocate and overwhelm the population in a single area) just like voting migration in the 19th century. With enough like minded people, within a hierarchical structure, the quantity of entrenched are smaller than those at the bottom and so they can't keep trading leader-for-whistle-blower forever.

The difference compared to voting is that people are willing to trade the afternoon for what comes closest to the thing they believe in, but aren't willing to trade their dreams of a certain career to surround themselves with enemies and becoming a tool to enforce the will of the government when they disagree with the will of the government.

With that being the state of things, I see only two ways to work towards replacing the current cohort of police officers:

1. A replacement campaign from the left and the center urging the likeminded into positions of public service. Maybe localized at first so success can be demonstrated. This will almost certainly fail because it opposes strong cultural throughlines in the left (ACAB, abolish-movements), not to mention I doubt people could sustain the motivation for the long game as required.

2. A large-scale conscription event that draws from the population evenly and as a whole which would reset the standard. Unlikely, since there's not a cause to surge police like there are with troops. Perhaps if federalization of police, in part, parallel or whole were to happen, though I'm not sure I really support that idea. Conscription could get bandied about if ACAB/abolition sentiment drove the numbers low enough, but I think tensions will continue to create a cycle where less people that want to be cops will drive up the power and prestige of those who remain cops along with the perceived need to fund and recruit, maintaining the status quo.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Defenestrategy posted:

Thought experiment:if you saw a fellow cop get a little bit over zealous with putting boots into some kids head, would you stop the guy and report him knowing that that probably ends your career ascension, so you can't affect change on the department, or would you say to your self, 'well the kid might not die and this might be a one off thing and Ill definitely report him if he does something worse, and besides once I make captain I can really turn poo poo around.'

I'm just tired of the question or decision being framed like that for my entire life. It's not working. Shoot the hostage.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

, 'well the kid might not die and this might be a one off thing and Ill definitely report him if he does something worse, and besides once I make captain I can really turn poo poo around.

I’d say a significant minority of not the majority of existing cops think this way already and it clearly isn’t working.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’d say a significant minority of not the majority of existing cops think this way already and it clearly isn’t working.

Thats his point I think. He's trying to show that if you do want to make things better you won't be able to. You'll change or quit or get fired first.

Which I think goes to show its a number game. People follow the logic, "they're the bad guy and there's no point in me participating while disagreeing, because I won't be able to effect real change before I'm back out".

The same logic though makes any large project impossible, what can one man do to force regime change in Nazi Germany? They'll get shot before they make it onto the beach in France! How could we ever build a skyscraper? It takes more manhours than I will be alive!

These projects have constraints on them that frame the problem and make them solvable. You won't be alone, there will be a combined force of millions of troops from many countries fighting together. A big chunk are going to land on a specific day and though no one could last on that beach alone and any one would die, the scale will mean that most of those landing will live.

You will not build a skyscraper alone, there will be a plan and there will be lots of people and lots of jobs to do and a single person will do a single person's worth of effort, but it will accrue and there will be a skyscraper.

So, while I've been one who has claimed that the issue is that there are few like-minded people who are willing to go do the job of becoming a cop (im certainly not interested, for example), part of the lack of that willingness is probably a lack of a combined framework, a guarantee of sufficient numbers that its not a waste. Any one person absolutely can't make the culture change. It would require numbers. Which probably requires some sort of framework or a trust in institutions, both of which are currently unavailable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One of our former cop goons was a good guy that quit being a cop because it was impossible to change the culture.

Crabdad went through police academy and specifically called out fellow cadets that were sexist and racist via what was allegedly a private channel. They then publicly read his complaints to everyone and made sure that all cadets knew he was the one who said it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

my unwanted and uninformed advice to people trying to force regime change in Nazi Germany would be to only attempt to infiltrate the state's security forces after they have formed or joined up with some kind of parallel communal security organization, and to take a realistic assessment of their capabilities and priorities, perhaps focusing their recruiting efforts on everyone who has as of yet NOT signed up to be a stormtrooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

my unwanted and uninformed advice to people trying to force regime change in Nazi Germany would be to only attempt to infiltrate the state's security forces after they have formed or joined up with some kind of parallel communal security organization, and to take a realistic assessment of their capabilities and priorities, perhaps focusing their recruiting efforts on everyone who has as of yet NOT signed up to be a stormtrooper

I mean, it's a question of goals right?

If your goal is to join to infiltrate and then undermine the police? Yea it's certainly possible to do that. Leak poo poo to the press, give police intelligence to like minded organizations, lots of stuff you could do there.

If your goal is to infiltrate to reform the police and drag them away from being the stomping grounds of the fash, I don't think its possible without it starting at the government/federal level dropping the hammer first.

edit: but I'm just a computer toucher that works for a company that among other things indirectly helps the US Government perpetrate war crimes and poo poo . So I dunno anything nor have a moral high ground in the question.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 11, 2021