Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yerok posted:

Find the squeaky spot where the subfloor is over the corresponding floor joist and drive some 2.5" framing screws into it through the carpet, repeat until quiet. Don't miss the joists.

e: could alternatively use trim head screws which would hide easier

i truly appreciate the responses I got but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to home diy stuff like this unless it's a thing anyone could reasonably do. It's also a rented town house which means pulling up carpeting and such would probably be a general big no.

would it reasonably be easy enough to not 'miss the joists' that someone not confident at home repair could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's not really a solution, as others have said, if you have a hundred year old nightmare floor, or carpet over old tongue and groove or something, but imo it's worth a shot.

You can confirm you're on a joist by taking some measurements off two exterior walls and then going down a floor under your computer room and projecting those measurements onto the ceiling. Then use a stud finder to verify you're in the right spot.

The reason you don't want to miss a joist and screw into a bay in the floor sheathing (or use a screw that will go in anywhere near half the width of your floor joists) is because there's probably wiring above the drywall downstairs for can lights/whatever in the ceiling and you don't want to hit anything.

Also if the carpet is actually nice probably don't do it. fwiw it's worked for me in lovely rentals that I've lived in when I knew I was going to be there for years and there was no way in hell the landlord was going to pay anyone to redo the floor sheathing just to get rid of a squeak.

e: The more I think about this the dumber it seems to suggest, because you're either going to have to use trim head screws and cover them with a mat and take them out when you move, or do it the complicated way and break off the screw flush with the sheathing under the carpet pad using a pliers. Big mat is the way.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 23, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Ergochair 2

Anyone had experience with this chair? I had a Christmas windfall and desperately want a new computer chair.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have experience with or recommendations for a under-desk treadmills? The kind you can walk on and work at the same time. Asking here since it's the closest thing we have to a home-office thread and it is kind of a chair-replacement.

SalTheBard posted:

Ergochair 2

Anyone had experience with this chair? I had a Christmas windfall and desperately want a new computer chair.

You've been following the thread long enough that you probably already noticed that the two year warranty on that chair is a lot less than the 10 year+ warranty you'd get on an Embody or Leap chair. I don't have any specific experience with that chair.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I don't have $1000+ to spend on a chair though, so I guess I'll keep looking for something with a better warranty. Thank you

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I sat in one briefly, maybe for two hours but I was watching TV not working at a desk. Seemed fine they’re also fairly new so you won’t find any long term reviews. You also won’t find a better warranty at that price point.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Searched the forums for Ekornes and not a lot of conversation on them in this thread, so just wanted to share my experience.

We found a 1970s/80s era stressless at an antique store for a couple hundred bucks a while back and discovered the wide world of Very Expensive Butt Holders. After much shopping and debate my wife bought me a mayfair office chair for Christmas. It is the most comfortable thing I have ever sat in, in my life. The arm rests are low, though and not adjustable, so I had to install a keyboard tray and move the keyboard off the top of the desk; which I actually like a lot more anyway. Head support isn't as robust as some of the other ultra-ergonomic chairs out there, but the easy reclining and very good padding makes up for it.

Well, thanks for listening to my story.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

VulgarandStupid posted:

I sat in one briefly, maybe for two hours but I was watching TV not working at a desk. Seemed fine they’re also fairly new so you won’t find any long term reviews. You also won’t find a better warranty at that price point.

Thank you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VulgarandStupid posted:

You can definitely get chairs with a better warranty at that price point, just maybe not with that exact feature set. Ikea's updated version of the Markus (the Jarvfjallet or however you spell it) comes in at sub $300.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

skylined! posted:

Searched the forums for Ekornes and not a lot of conversation on them in this thread, so just wanted to share my experience.

We found a 1970s/80s era stressless at an antique store for a couple hundred bucks a while back and discovered the wide world of Very Expensive Butt Holders. After much shopping and debate my wife bought me a mayfair office chair for Christmas. It is the most comfortable thing I have ever sat in, in my life. The arm rests are low, though and not adjustable, so I had to install a keyboard tray and move the keyboard off the top of the desk; which I actually like a lot more anyway. Head support isn't as robust as some of the other ultra-ergonomic chairs out there, but the easy reclining and very good padding makes up for it.

Well, thanks for listening to my story.

I have mentioned them before however Ekornes is expensive and doesn't really have enough of a used supply to suggest buying used. I have a Voyager recliner I pretty much sit on most of the day but for my desk chair I've been using a Steelcase Gesture. I had a Embody but even after plenty of fiddling I never did manage to make it comfortable to me. So yeah everyone go with the Gesture if you can afford it, it has Duck and Covers seal of approval. (I'm 6 '1 197 lbs)

edit: Oh and the Ekornes stuff is mostly ugly.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 26, 2020

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

SalTheBard posted:

I don't have $1000+ to spend on a chair though, so I guess I'll keep looking for something with a better warranty. Thank you

For some reason these chair companies put a huge premium on headrests so if you're able to drop that requirement you could get something decent for half the price or less.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SalTheBard posted:

Ergochair 2

I bought this recently. I’ve had it for maybe 3 weeks? It’s nice, comfortable. I’m 6’3”, 205lb, slender/athletic for reference. It pretty much fits me at the highest seat setting - my knees make close to a right angle at rest. I can cross one leg up onto it and it feels natural. I’ve spent all day working at it for the last few weeks and I’m realizing as I’m typing this post that some lingering back pain I had is gone. Overall my experience has been totally positive so far but I’m only a few weeks in.

As for cons, the top of the arm rests don’t lock on the X-Y plane, so sometimes I find they slide around when I don’t want them to. They don’t freely slide around, but jostling them against my desk does move them. Also, the lumbar support fully broke off of mine the first time I tried to adjust it - but I actually find it more comfortable this way. While I feel most of the chair is pretty sturdy, seems like the lumbar support isn’t really meant to be adjusted too often. I emailed their support team and they sent me a new chair back so I have a bonus chair back in case anything happens to mine.

If you have any specific questions I’m happy to answer them, but it was a much needed upgrade for me and I’ve been happy with the chair so far. If you’re considering it just pull the trigger.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Is $380 for a scuffed used Aeron a good price? I'm aware they are very good chairs by reports and I desperately need an upgrade for this garbage racing chair I have atm.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Depends if that's the only problem. If it's had 15 years of usage then it's far too expensive.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
GamersNexus just did a good video on chairs: https://youtu.be/9Yhc6mmdJC4

He offers up some non-designer recommendations as well.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

My employer let me borrow the Steelcase Amia I was using in the office. It's pretty decent and I can comfortably sit in it all day.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Serta iComfort i5000. $400 bucks, available in big & tall, and has a 10 year warranty.

This thread has poo-pooed on Serta in the past, but I'm assuming that's because of their cheaper chairs. The few reviews online are all positive. I sat on one at an office depot for about 10 minutes and liked it.

Any reason I shouldn't buy it?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Freakazoid_ posted:

Serta iComfort i5000. $400 bucks, available in big & tall, and has a 10 year warranty.

This thread has poo-pooed on Serta in the past, but I'm assuming that's because of their cheaper chairs. The few reviews online are all positive. I sat on one at an office depot for about 10 minutes and liked it.

Any reason I shouldn't buy it?
Don't know anything about it but it looks like a massive cushion chair that's comfy initially but if you sit it in for long periods of time and/or use it a lot the cushions will simply collapse and you'll feel like you're just sitting on plastic.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
As someone who's fed up with the chair from the kitchen table, has anyone heard anything about the HON brand of chairs?

I was recommended https://www.amazon.com/HON-Wave-Mid...23&sr=8-15&th=1 this particular chair and I've heard it's a mid-ground between basic office chairs and stuff like the Herman Miller brands. (but obviously don't know how accurate or not that is) I've had it with chairs that have no support so if this is a good option, I'll probably move on it.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there anything particular to look out for when chair shopping at office liquidator/wholesale type deals?

This place is close by and I was thinking about paying them a visit in a few weeks to test-fit my butt on their array of chairs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Depends if that's the only problem. If it's had 15 years of usage then it's far too expensive.
Along these lines, getting an 2nd gen Aeron would obviously put a cap on how old it is, but is there anything we'd be giving up compared to the original?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

oh god. i ended up getting an aeron. it was a group buy deal but ~$1200 CAD isn't bad for a fully loaded one right? the guy is still needs to send me a quote but it was either an aeron or an embody. my old chair at work was an aeron and i liked it quite a bit, never tried an embody though and all the showrooms are closed because of covid. hopefully i made the right choice?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Seiyal posted:

As someone who's fed up with the chair from the kitchen table, has anyone heard anything about the HON brand of chairs?

I was recommended https://www.amazon.com/HON-Wave-Mid...23&sr=8-15&th=1 this particular chair and I've heard it's a mid-ground between basic office chairs and stuff like the Herman Miller brands. (but obviously don't know how accurate or not that is) I've had it with chairs that have no support so if this is a good option, I'll probably move on it.

HON is essentially the Amazon Basics of non poo poo office chairs, since actual Amazon Basics chairs are mostly actual poo poo. It's fine, but you lose a lot of the adjustability of higher end offerings, and getting said higher end offering used is still mostly the optimal budget choice.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

CaptainPsyko posted:

HON is essentially the Amazon Basics of non poo poo office chairs, since actual Amazon Basics chairs are mostly actual poo poo. It's fine, but you lose a lot of the adjustability of higher end offerings, and getting said higher end offering used is still mostly the optimal budget choice.

That's kind of what I figured, but it's good to know for sure. Can't say it's not going to end up winning the race here but I've got a couple of places to contact next week that might have the good chairs first. Thanks for the explaination, it's appreciated.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

oh god. i ended up getting an aeron. it was a group buy deal but ~$1200 CAD isn't bad for a fully loaded one right? the guy is still needs to send me a quote but it was either an aeron or an embody. my old chair at work was an aeron and i liked it quite a bit, never tried an embody though and all the showrooms are closed because of covid. hopefully i made the right choice?

Looking at the same group buy now probably gonna go for the aeron too. I'd like to try an embody but nowhere has one to sit in, and these are final sale agh.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Honey Im Homme posted:

Looking at the same group buy now probably gonna go for the aeron too. I'd like to try an embody but nowhere has one to sit in, and these are final sale agh.

I ended up ordering an aeron b. Embody is apparently one size fits all

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Whatever Office Master Chief Wiggums edition chair I ordered 2 years ago (I think it was an IU-54) has been an absolute champ. :rock:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Ergochair 2

I have one in green. It seems ok enough although I can't seem to get the back at the right angle between too much upright and just a little tilted back. Better than my Ikea Markus though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

I have one in green. It seems ok enough although I can't seem to get the back at the right angle between too much upright and just a little tilted back. Better than my Ikea Markus though.

That has been my experience as well but holy poo poo it's so much more comfortable than my fake DX Racer I had been using.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I went with the other Autonomouse chair (the Kinn), andholy poo poo I have never had a chair that so consistently manages to actually be on my back, rather than have me leaning ever so slightly away from the back of the chair.

It's been a revelation in terms of support.

Unfortunately, I am less impressed with the butt seat portion; it's a little rigid for my tastes and I am contemplating a cushion.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
any headrests compatible with the mirra 2? seems there isn't an official one.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
There's a local used posture fit aeron for $500. Seems like a good deal? I guess I'll go see what year it is and what condition it's in because my old rear end used craigslist special secret labs chair is awful.

e:it's a 2003. oh well.

e2: madison seating has open box leap v2's on their ebay store for $350 right now

Yerok fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 19, 2021

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Are they legit? I'm about to order one right now

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
I bought a madison seating v2 a couple of years ago; it was quite wobbly and I ended up returning it

Jack_tripper fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 20, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine ordered an aeron with the posture fit, and he says the posturefit apparatus pinches his spine. He’s quite tall and has a particularly long torso. Any ways he could adjust it, or should he just remove it?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

maniacripper posted:

Are they legit? I'm about to order one right now

If you don't break down and get one I will let you know in roughly 10 days

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gotta say: getting an IKEA chair to go with the rest of my IKEA desk was not the best choice I ever made. Millberget held up for like, a year and a half before the seat pad turned harder than my actual hardwood dining chairs are, and hurts the poo poo out of my tailbone/lower back. Bafflingly, high quality tailbone cushions just make this way worse; uncomfortable to sit on, removes all back support, and somehow managed to aggravate my cubital tunnel issues in my mouse arm faster than anything ever has, including my doctor actively trying to make it hurt (while the keyboard arm, also normally affected, was perfectly fine). I feel like I'm seriously missing something here.

Nobody carries Herman Miller around here. Or Steelcase. Or anything but dozens and dozens of X2s for some godforsaken reason (it's okay but I could tell after 5-10 minutes it was not a long term solution). Short of waiting until I can scrape together enough to get an real quality office chair that's gonna have to be new to get it at all out here, what am I supposed to do to mitigate this for now? Since I already had mentioned them - no, the dining chairs are the wrong height for a desk.
I'm also dealing with this at work, but that one's on their budget and they can afford the new chairs they promised us would arrive eighteen months ago.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

Gotta say: getting an IKEA chair to go with the rest of my IKEA desk was not the best choice I ever made. Millberget held up for like, a year and a half before the seat pad turned harder than my actual hardwood dining chairs are, and hurts the poo poo out of my tailbone/lower back. Bafflingly, high quality tailbone cushions just make this way worse; uncomfortable to sit on, removes all back support, and somehow managed to aggravate my cubital tunnel issues in my mouse arm faster than anything ever has, including my doctor actively trying to make it hurt (while the keyboard arm, also normally affected, was perfectly fine). I feel like I'm seriously missing something here.

Nobody carries Herman Miller around here. Or Steelcase. Or anything but dozens and dozens of X2s for some godforsaken reason (it's okay but I could tell after 5-10 minutes it was not a long term solution). Short of waiting until I can scrape together enough to get an real quality office chair that's gonna have to be new to get it at all out here, what am I supposed to do to mitigate this for now? Since I already had mentioned them - no, the dining chairs are the wrong height for a desk.
I'm also dealing with this at work, but that one's on their budget and they can afford the new chairs they promised us would arrive eighteen months ago.

No Herman Miller Aeron or Mirra on the Facebook market place in the closest city? I know some offices are selling some of this stuff

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coredump posted:

No Herman Miller Aeron or Mirra on the Facebook market place in the closest city? I know some offices are selling some of this stuff

$600 for an Aeron 2+ hours away in unknown-but-probably-not-great shape, don't exactly have a vehicle for hauling that home anyway. That's it. Everything else is super lovely little waiting-room chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Thing is with the slow but serious damage a bad chair can do to your spine it’s worth going thru some hassle for this. Broaden your search, use searchtempest.com and eBay. If you have to, look at uship for freight shipping. What part of the country you in?