Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think boomers dying off as some de facto boon for Democrats is overblown, anyway. Look at the people who attend Trump rallies and the Capitol rioters -- all dudes in their 40s-50s who are going to be voting for anyone who promises to own the libs for the next 5-6 electoral cycles at least. We're probably all millennials here, but we have a lot more in common politically with Gen Z than Gen X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I think boomers dying off as some de facto boon for Democrats is overblown, anyway. Look at the people who attend Trump rallies and the Capitol rioters -- all dudes in their 40s-50s who are going to be voting for anyone who promises to own the libs for the next 5-6 electoral cycles at least. We're probably all millennials here, but we have a lot more in common politically with Gen Z than Gen X.

This is true: A LOT of Gen X sold out hard after the 90s and just became worse boomers culturally and politically

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

This is true: A LOT of Gen X sold out hard after the 90s and just became worse boomers culturally and politically

The Limp Bizkit fans of the late 90s are now reliable Trump voters 20 years later.
The storming of the capitol was just a repeat of Woodstock '99.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/10/southern-california-republicans-face-reckoning-after-insurrection-in-d-c

Not a very representative sample (and how many people change their party registration in January) but Orange County tracks voter registration daily and Republicans apparently lost voters after they stormed the capitol.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It will probably help a little, but demographics aren't destiny.

Polls show that each generation is more left-wing and more Democratic than the one before, on polls asking for self-identification, for party affiliation, and for views on specific issues. Silents are more conservative than Boomers, Boomers are more conservative than Gen X, Gen X are more conservative than Millennials, and Millennials are more conservative than Zoomers.

Here are two posts from the old thread where I compiled some of this polling data:

vyelkin posted:

And if you start looking at views on specific issues, Silents are noticeably more right-wing than boomers, who are already more right-wing than the rest of us.

e: more from a second article

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, I just want to add that younger people voting for the more liberal candidate hasn't really been true until very recently.

I know I've posted this before somewhere, but to summarize, this is party voting lines by generation, and it's a few years old. Look at GenX, in 98, the oldest GenXer was 33, which would be equivalent to 2014 for Millenials. In 98, GenX was practically evenly split between the parties, but Millenials are voting like 15% more for the Dems. The GenX and Boomer lines are practically flat, Silent is a slight uptick towards Republicans, then you see Millenials, and they are steadily increasing towards the Dems, so either the younger millenials are that much more Dem leaning, or millenials are just moving that direction as they get older. I'm going to assume the younger millenials are just that much more favored to vote D.

The issue for Dems is more about clustering of their voters and how the senate works against them.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I just want to add that younger people voting for the more liberal candidate hasn't really been true until very recently.

I know I've posted this before somewhere, but to summarize, this is party voting lines by generation, and it's a few years old. Look at GenX, in 98, the oldest GenXer was 33, which would be equivalent to 2014 for Millenials. In 98, GenX was practically evenly split between the parties, but Millenials are voting like 15% more for the Dems. The GenX and Boomer lines are practically flat, Silent is a slight uptick towards Republicans, then you see Millenials, and they are steadily increasing towards the Dems, so either the younger millenials are that much more Dem leaning, or millenials are just moving that direction as they get older. I'm going to assume the younger millenials are just that much more favored to vote D.

The issue for Dems is more about clustering of their voters and how the senate works against them.

From what I remember, Gen X also votes very differently depending on which portion of Gen X you're looking at. You're talking about a generation born between 1965 to 1980, which in turn leads to very different formative experiences ranging from which politicians they were raised to idolize to how bad or good their post-college job prospects were.

Being 22 in 1987 with a BA or a BS was very different than being 22 and graduating right in the middle of the dot com bust and seeing your military buds getting sent to Iraq.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

exquisite tea posted:

There are actually quite a few Gen Xers on these forums.

Also, I'd be very cautious about drawing conclusions by generalizing from the demographics of a Trump rally to the wider population. Trump rally attendees are not even a representative sample of Trump voters.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what I remember, Gen X also votes very differently depending on which portion of Gen X you're looking at. You're talking about a generation born between 1965 to 1980, which in turn leads to very different formative experiences ranging from which politicians they were raised to idolize to how bad or good their post-college job prospects were.

Being 22 in 1987 with a BA or a BS was very different than being 22 and graduating right in the middle of the dot com bust and seeing your military buds getting sent to Iraq.

Yea, I forgot where I saw it, but GenX was essentially a transition generation. It was practically a straight line of voting tendencies where the older part were more R, and the younger part were more D. I think GenX has held off the younger generation because they voted more. In 2016 at least, GenX was 35.7% of the vote share, while millenials were 31.3%, but there are actually 2% more millenials in the US than GenX (22% vs. 20% of the population).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1348736652160626689?s=20

I would love this but my understanding was that multimember districts are unconstitutional - is that not true?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1348733254203936769
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1348733937309294593
Trump doesn't have 95% approval among Republicans any more.

What were George W. Bush's numbers at the end? Still worse than this, right?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

I would love this but my understanding was that multimember districts are unconstitutional - is that not true?
SCOTUS have had rulings where they've said they're not unconstitutional by definition. The concern at the time was that multi-member districts would be used the other way around, to increase discrimination. It's illegal by law, but not by the constitution (meaning it can be changed).

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 11, 2021

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DTurtle posted:

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1348733254203936769
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1348733937309294593
Trump doesn't have 95% approval among Republicans any more.

What were George W. Bush's numbers at the end? Still worse than this, right?

https://news.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

W was 35% at this point in his presidency. So not really much worse because Republicans are cultists at every level

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Is that his lowest Republican number ever? Anecdotally I’ve spoken to a few Republicans who are completely disgusted by this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

W was 35% at this point in his presidency. So not really much worse because Republicans are cultists at every level

Yea, but W bottomed out at 25% right around election time in 2008. Not sure Trump will get that low in the next two weeks, but I'm sure he'll try.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

Is that his lowest Republican number ever? Anecdotally I’ve spoken to a few Republicans who are completely disgusted by this.

The effect of letting a bunch of people who look to be a couple cans short of a six pack turn the capitol building into their playground was jarring across party lines. It undermines the Republican party identity. Losing an election also has a cascading effect, from your ability to keep the rank and file members in line with your rhetoric to Americans just not liking a loser. They really don't like a sore loser.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

paternity suitor posted:

Disgusted! - still votes and supports straight ticket R.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh wow:
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1348753471911022593

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It feels absurd to break this kind of stuff down to polling but those are like, should you run over puppies with your car numbers

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Badger of Basra posted:

My understanding is that at-large multi member districts were the norm in the very early days of the US and some states still used an at-large system until Congress mandated single member districts in the 1840s.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

My understanding is that at-large multi member districts were the norm in the very early days of the US and some states still used an at-large system until Congress mandated single member districts in the 1840s.

Multi member districts have long been a tool of segregationists to keep minorities out of city councils and other layers of government. They're mostly banned now to ensure proportional minority representation.

There is every reason to expect that this would be abused in the same way.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

It feels absurd to break this kind of stuff down to polling but those are like, should you run over puppies with your car numbers

Last I checked, which was like a few years ago, 10% gets you about the same number of people who believe in vampires or that the moon landing was faked.

So, yeah, 10% is probably about as low as it’s gonna get.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Trump doing better among any group is pretty easily explained by the checks or increased unemployment.

If he'd send out another check, he might've won. Oh Mitch, you idiot.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

Multi member districts have long been a tool of segregationists to keep minorities out of city councils and other layers of government. They're mostly banned now to ensure proportional minority representation.

There is every reason to expect that this would be abused in the same way.

I feel like there was probably a specific process in which occurred, that might not be as relevant in the post Civil Rights era? I can't imagine how in our current de facto two party system it having the same effect. Because a heavily urban district is going to elect 2 to sometimes 3 democrats under Single Transferable Vote which would I think have at least proportionally the same amount of minority representation to increasing it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/amandakhurley/status/1349021580958060547?s=20

If high propensity voters keep trending D, are we going to end up in a situation where low turnout elections are regularly better for Democrats than high turnout ones?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Badger of Basra posted:

If high propensity voters keep trending D, are we going to end up in a situation where low turnout elections are regularly better for Democrats than high turnout ones?

I think in some cases this has already been the case. Obviously you can look at the lower turnout midterm and correctly identify a number of places where Democrats did better than they did in November, despite a lower turnout. Or a more recent example is the difference between the Georgia runoff and 11/3. I would generally posit that the redder the state, the better off you are if turnout is low - more voters mean the electorate better reflects the partisan leaning of the state, whereas a low turnout gives the minority a chance to make up a disportionately high percentage of the vote (such as in 2019 Kentucky gov).

The issue with the most extreme right-wing folks not actually being reliable voters is a pretty interesting one. A lot of people have been looking up the voting histories of those who were actually arrested at or after the capitol and finding it surprisingly sparse. Same, too, with the militia members who planned to kidnap Gov. Whitmer. David Shor would probably group these people as "low social trust" voters - folks who don't trust their neighbors, don't participate in civic events, and (most importantly to us) don't answer polls. The idea of "missing Trump voters" is hardly a new one, but it does suggest that these voters are so distinct and vote so irregularly that it is probably not possible for us to ever actually correctly account for them in polling - our only hope is that future candidates do not capture lightning in a bottle with this group by simultaneously winning nearly all of them while also motivating this group of sporadic non-voters to also get to the polls in high numbers. After all, polls were generally pretty accurate in 2018 and the GA runoff - so maybe it really is just a Trump problem. Maybe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm totally fine with crazy republicans not voting because they think it's all rigged anyhow.

Well, so long as they don't storm government buildings armed to the teeth over it anyway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The thing is, I'm not even sure if these people are Republicans in the conventional sense. I think Donald Trump legitimately tapped into a certain type of person that gets fixated on things that aren't necessarily political, but in this case were political. Or which these people never realized were political, or never conceptualized in a political way. Much like very religious people didn't used to vote, and some groups of highly religious people still don't, I think conspiracy theorist generally didn't.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't think this fellow is all about soberly reading the Wall St. Journal over his eggs and coffee and making sure to vote for Romney during a midterm so that the capital gains rate stays low.

I think he's probably mainly interested in smashing the teeth out of someone like me, and excited to vote for, march for, and maybe kill for the guy who tells him it's a good thing to do that, and that he's special and he loves him for doing it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
White non college/rural/etc voter turnout is pretty low. This only has estimates for 2012 and 2016, but white non college turnout is 20% lower than white college. I guess you don't really know whether the ones that don't vote would vote the same way if they showed up.

I can't find anything about it but I remember 2016 primary polls saying voters with a negative opinion of the Republican party supported Trump.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pick posted:

The thing is, I'm not even sure if these people are Republicans in the conventional sense. I think Donald Trump legitimately tapped into a certain type of person that gets fixated on things that aren't necessarily political, but in this case were political. Or which these people never realized were political, or never conceptualized in a political way. Much like very religious people didn't used to vote, and some groups of highly religious people still don't, I think conspiracy theorist generally didn't.

Yeah, that's a good point. Wasn't there a poll somewhere showing how he tapped into a lot of people who typically don't vote?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pick posted:

It's this

A lot of them are not Republicans: they are fascists, they are hooligans and thugs, they are authoritarians, and every other type of scum you can think of. It also has a contingent of just low-information conspiracy cranks.

Trump engaged a ton of low information, but stupid and angry, and many violent nonvoters, because he is "anti-establishment" and gave them what they want. It's the "Culture War is my only priority" people

Again as silly as this sounds, part of it is Prosperity Gospel, part of it is Racism and neo-confederacy, part of it is loving Goobergate of all things, part of it is authoritarian "back the blue", and part of it is Qanon

It's the ner'do'well vote, and he's got it on lock

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, and that's not a defense of Republicans at all. They are bad in their own way. And some of these people certainly were already registered that way. But my point is, the complete Looney Tunes bus stop shouting pedo satan cult bonkers people I think before this generally weren't very partisan. Prior to this, they were obsessed with fluoride in the water or sprinklers shooting rainbows or whatever.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pick posted:

In some way this seems like a corollary to a now-"classic" Chris Hayes article on undecided voters, from 2004 (!!), where he broadly makes an observation that 'undecided' voters he and his colleagues interviewed didn't really connect issues such as healthcare or worker's rights in their lives to political decision-making, in this case Bush v. Kerry. And of course the racist undercurrents, etc.

I happened to listen to a few of Trump's rallies back in 2016, and a lot of his stream-of-consciousness touched on the types of issues the undecideds in Hayes's article worried about, but Trump didn't necessarily frame them as 'political' issues as polliwonk-people understand it, it was bombing and torturing scary foreigners, Mexico paying for a wall to keep rapists out, jobs back from CHYNA, etc. And he pointedly didn't really out-line any plans for any of his nonsense, it'd just get done. (One might segue into a discussion of 'will to power' and other quasi-mythical stuff Nazis were so fond of here, but that's a bit outside this thread's topic I suppose) The question is, will the genie go back into the non-voting bottle once it was energized for four years :ohno:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pick posted:

Yeah, and that's not a defense of Republicans at all. They are bad in their own way. And some of these people certainly were already registered that way. But my point is, the complete Looney Tunes bus stop shouting pedo satan cult bonkers people I think before this generally weren't very partisan. Prior to this, they were obsessed with fluoride in the water or sprinklers shooting rainbows or whatever.

Exhibit A: Ben Garrison.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pick posted:

This also helps with the interpretation of Trump voters supporting him because they saw him as a brick through the establishment window. If your honest-to-god beliefs are the complete Looney Tunes bus stop shouting pedo satan cult conspiracies, you generally didn't vote because you thought everyone in power was cooperating to put fluoride microchips in your water or whatever. The appeal of Trump to that particular demographic is that he came along and validated their beliefs that everyone on both sides of the political aisle were corrupt and needed to be destroyed, and the more he's appeared incompetent and stymied by the realities of governing (and now the realities of losing an election) the more it's validated their existing beliefs that the rest of the political class needs to be destroyed, which is basically the radicalization process QAnon has taken conspiracy theorists on over the last four years.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rappaport posted:

In some way this seems like a corollary to a now-"classic" Chris Hayes article on undecided voters, from 2004 (!!), where he broadly makes an observation that 'undecided' voters he and his colleagues interviewed didn't really connect issues such as healthcare or worker's rights in their lives to political decision-making, in this case Bush v. Kerry. And of course the racist undercurrents, etc.

Man, I know I'd read that article a few times before but it's depressing every time.

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

GA runoff results suggest that we won't have any more *low* turnout elections for a while, but lowER turnout will in fact favor Dems. There was probably some reversion of split ticket college whites back to the GOP, but the bottom line was that with 10% lower turnout than in November, Dems won ~3-4% more of the vote. Add the upcoming GOP civil war and the total revulsion of big tech and big corporations with the Q enabling faction in general, and the Dems are probably in for a much stronger decade than most people here think.

After the GE, January 5th and 6th are likely the most important two days for the political direction of the country for a long time, and both are much more massively positive than anybody's realized thus far.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

From my experience with focus groups of infrequent voters they generally aren't crazy or completely inundated within a specific political worldview. Hyperpartisan looney tunes voters are in general very political engaged and consume a lot of (questionable) media. Infrequent voters are just mostly low-information voters without strong political priors or high engagement in political debate. I think it's a lot like imagining yourself listening to a very hotly contested debate about something you don't know anything about for 5 minutes and then being asked to pick one of two very divergent opinions about the topic. It's not a great recipe for informed opinion, but it's not necessarily because you're an idiot. Granted these weren't american voters, but I imagine the observation generalizes. All major left parties in Europe do some field mobilization work (though not anything close to the US scale), and since field work is inherently geographical you can very easily see that there's some low-turnout areas they don't prioritize, which is because you're probably looking at a net loss or (at least a decreased return) from increased turnout there as you rank areas by "left-leaning/non-voting". While I don't think the needle has tipped in an entire country where higher turnout is a disadvantage for the left, it certainly has in specific usually very white low income areas and I wouldn't be surprised if you could end up in that situation where the turnout advantage is reversed for democrats and republicans. If nothing else the long slow march of the education realignment kinda indicates this anyway as education is highly correlated with voting.

Dante fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

:rolleyes: posted:

GA runoff results suggest that we won't have any more *low* turnout elections for a while, but lowER turnout will in fact favor Dems. There was probably some reversion of split ticket college whites back to the GOP, but the bottom line was that with 10% lower turnout than in November, Dems won ~3-4% more of the vote. Add the upcoming GOP civil war and the total revulsion of big tech and big corporations with the Q enabling faction in general, and the Dems are probably in for a much stronger decade than most people here think.

After the GE, January 5th and 6th are likely the most important two days for the political direction of the country for a long time, and both are much more massively positive than anybody's realized thus far.
What is going to happen with turnout is an interesting question, I think. Clearly part of it was Trump, but some of it might have been COVID, some of it might have been mail-ins, and beyond that maybe the confluence of events this year has led to a permanent increase in voter engagement and turnout vs the 20th century. I think the first test will be the November 2021 elections in Washington state, because this will be the first statewide election with Trump not being President in a state where mail-ins have been a thing for a while. If it was just access to mail-in ballots, or Trump/COVID related, Nov '21 elections in Washington state should revert to normal turnout levels. If it was was something more fundamental then that, higher turnout should be expected. Further tests will probably require special elections or pseudo experiments if/when some states roll back mail-in voting.