Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm going through the MCU again and I saw Disney+ had them up in timeline order so I decided to watch that way and its really interesting. It starts with Captain America which is really fitting and intros Nick Fury at the end of the film. You also get the Tesseract right from the jump. Then you go to Captain Marvel where Fury is a main character and you get to know him before he's the guy you meet in Cap, and the Tesseract plays a big factor too and feels like the center of the story. That sets up Avengers really big. You also have Carol flying off to space and leaving Fury the beeper and imagining the internet anger that Fury didn't call her for Avengers/The Battle of New York makes me laugh. Plus Cap ends with a trailer for Avengers and Marvel ends with a scene of Cap, Widow, Rhodey, and Banner from Endgame beeping Marvel. It got me laughing about the idea of everyone spending 10 years freaking out asking who Cap was hanging out with and why they had the beeper and what emergency finally demanded calling her.

Its really fun. I don't know if much is gonna be different after this since most of the films are in their natural order or just off by 1 or 2 the rest of the way. But its really weird and interesting to see the accidental hypothetical world building by putting the Caps at the start.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want Captain Marvel 2 to have a first act that's mostly just Carol living in the 21st century and maybe hanging out with Monica before the main plot kicks off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Monica's supposed to be in WandaVision and Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye are due out before Captain Marvel 2. Maybe She Hulk too. I wonder how that will all us Brie Larson and affect Captain Marvel. You could probably have her leading a whole A1 team of heroes by then or mentoring a Young Avengers or leading the main team or something. Its crazy how wide open the MCU world is right now. We don't even have an Avengers team or set leader and so much might be shaped by WandaVision, Falcon/Winter Soldier, and Loki over the next 6 months or so.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Karloff posted:

It's getting really messy. There's no doubt Fisher's complaints are genuine. Warner Media have taken action, at least against Joss Whedon, and the stories have been corroborated by enough people to remove any doubt. Anyway you cut it it's sadly gonna have deleterious effects on his career, so there's no way he would push this unless he's got a real need for justice to be done. He has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Oh yeah, I'm not doubting there were issues on set, especially given Whedon's departure, but unless Fisher gets his messaging clear and stops the indirect tweeting and innuendo, he's making himself look like a guy bitter that the film wasn't his big break. Cyborg getting a smaller role is expected: the average person is drawn by Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman - the big iconic characters. Cyborg is popular, but he's always going to play second fiddle to them in a team-up film, especially when there's no set-up for the character aside from five seconds of footage in the previous film. It must have been bad for him to act like this, especially considering his first film role was in a major studio blockbuster, but he needs to get his message clear and stop being vague.

The person coming out best here is Synder - maybe his cut will be bad, but recutting a three year old bad blockbuster into a miniseries is an interesting experiment at the very least, and hopefully it helps him get some closure.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Neither I nor Ray said that this was over. He got Joss Whedon booted and he’s got a third party investigation underway

I think people are used to seeing these stories break after the investigations have already concluded and getting a whole flood of info straight up. Or, you see someone with no resources taking to twitter to even get things moving. The former hasn’t happened yet and Fisher doesn’t have to do the latter at this point since the gears are turning in his direction.

I would expect that if the investigation concludes to his satisfaction, but Warner doesn’t execute on any of it, then we will see him deploy a new tactic.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 8, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No it's over. The investigation ended. That's literally what the article is about.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Oh right, that was in December. But the negotiations aren’t, per this tweet

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1347331771633967107?s=21

I don’t see why he’d feel the need to change tactics until the book is closed on this in a way that is unsatisfactory

My main point was, people are being unfair for casting doubt on Ray just because every dirty detail isn’t on twitter yet. Especially given how many people (including big names) have co-signed what he is saying.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 8, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

Monica's supposed to be in WandaVision and Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye are due out before Captain Marvel 2. Maybe She Hulk too. I wonder how that will all us Brie Larson and affect Captain Marvel. You could probably have her leading a whole A1 team of heroes by then or mentoring a Young Avengers or leading the main team or something. Its crazy how wide open the MCU world is right now. We don't even have an Avengers team or set leader and so much might be shaped by WandaVision, Falcon/Winter Soldier, and Loki over the next 6 months or so.

I would have said Tchalla would have been the next Avengers leader, but that most likely won't happen for obvious reasons. Carol seems like the next best choice.

One of the things out before CM2 met have hear appear in some way to bridge the gap. Even if someone just says she's living in Brooklyn or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Oh right, that was in December. But the negotiations aren’t, per this tweet

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1347331771633967107?s=21

I don’t see why he’d feel the need to change tactics until the book is closed on this in a way that is unsatisfactory

My main point was, people are being unfair for casting doubt on Ray just because every dirty detail isn’t on twitter yet. Especially given how many people (including big names) have co-signed what he is saying.

This is not "every dirty detail isn't on twitter yet", it's that every detail Fisher is giving seems to be completely divorced from reality. There is no indication from anyone but Fisher that "negotiations" are happening. especially when there's a clear "We're done, move on" statement from Warner. There's no indication from anyone but Fisher that Joss Whedon was forced to exit his HBO series because of the investigation. There's no indication from anyone but Fisher that Geoff Johns is on his way out or suffered anything from this investigation at all. There's been lots of indications that Fisher isn't going to be in any DC projects going forth, except from him, and then he attacks the person who wrote an article on it and tries to double back on how the thing he said isn't exactly the thing he said.

I don't think the guy's malicious but he does seem to be extremely bad at this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At the very least, letting Warner drive the narrative by having all the info we get about the issues come through them or from 'anonymous sources' on their side doesn't help Fisher from a PR stance. Especially if the practical upshot is he signs a gag order meaning he can't talk about them and all of a sudden, Warner can just ignore the issues after paying lipservice to whatever deal they make. Talking about this stuff via a friendly journalist or social media isn't about that being the only avenue, it's about giving yourself control of the story that's presented to the public. So far, the most concrete things we have are that he heard third hand from someone that Whedon had the editor use colour correction to lighten someone's skin, which the studio and Whedon denied without much pushback, and Momoa and Gadot agreeing that Whedon was an rear end in a top hat. That's not exactly painting a vivid picture of the abuse for those that weren't there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

especially when there's a clear "We're done, move on" statement from Warner.

They only want it to be done because all their lovely practices keep getting more and more exposed.

I’m glad Fisher’s keeping the pressure on them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ruddiger posted:

They only want it to be done because all their lovely practices keep getting more and more exposed.

I’m glad Fisher’s keeping the pressure on them.

What pressure is he applying at this point, exactly, by getting on twitter and saying things that were pretty quickly verified to not be true?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Verified by who?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tbh this is getting a little uncomfortably close to making it seem like Fisher is grandstanding and outright lying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Disney+ Marvel Legends episodes are up. Wanda and Vision, 2 separate episodes at 7/6 minutes each. Its what was expected. A collection of their clips from the movies retelling their stories as a refresher. Nothing new or original but I think very slick and enjoyable little watches and probably great refreshers for the more casual fans. I liked them.

Got a shot of Chadwick Boseman and got sad, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
e: gently caress it maybe I'm the one being weird. I'll drop it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

l

Got a shot of Chadwick Boseman and got sad, though.

It’s such a bummer, he took a character that a lot of people hadn’t heard of and made Black Panther both a giant hit and gave kids of color a superhero that looked like them which... hadn’t really happened before. And he just seemed like a fundamentally good dude.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm for sure gonna tear up when I hear his voice in What If?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think this is the first official word from Feige on this

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1348675918445867010?s=21

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty interesting and hilarious if the X-Men will be (and therefore already are?) implicitly part of the MCU via Deadpool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Pretty interesting and hilarious if the X-Men will be (and therefore already are?) implicitly part of the MCU via Deadpool.

I imagine the first scene is some kind of thing where Cable and Deadpool (and maybe Domino) pop through a time portal in the middle of Endgame's big fight scene, cue Reynolds yelling "WHAT DID YOU DO?!?"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The opening of the movie will be Deadpool in a business meeting with Kevin Feige as they go over his new contract, and then they show him around the office and fill him in on the MCU.

Edit: If anything reasonably close to this actually happens, I want money.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm glad negasonic and yukio are two of the first canon mcu X-Men

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1348722881245548544?s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

I'm glad negasonic and yukio are two of the first canon mcu X-Men

Doesn't it sort of backdoor make the Fox movies canon given they used some B-roll from Last Stand in one of them? (I recall Kelsey Grammer Beast, specifically?)

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine the first scene is some kind of thing where Cable and Deadpool (and maybe Domino) pop through a time portal in the middle of Endgame's big fight scene, cue Reynolds yelling "WHAT DID YOU DO?!?"

"Cable was it? Your voice sounds very familiar but I just can't place it"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Real talk, I kind of hope they dial back in on the balance between humour and pathos, because I think they messed it up in the second one, largely by killing off Vanessa. Bacarin and Reynolds played off each other so well in the first one, and I liked that the one thing they took pretty much seriously in that one was that relationship. Not that they couldn't have fun, but it wasn't a joke that they were in love, and it let Reynolds act the poo poo out of stuff like the scene where he's diagnosed with cancer or when he can't face her in the strip club.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Deadpool created the mcu with his time fuckery

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Doesn't it sort of backdoor make the Fox movies canon given they used some B-roll from Last Stand in one of them? (I recall Kelsey Grammer Beast, specifically?)

If there’s no timeline change to set it up. I guess yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Deadpool is already aware of Thanos. He made the comparison in DP2. Ergo he would understand perfectly. :colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jamesman posted:

The opening of the movie will be Deadpool in a business meeting with Kevin Feige as they go over his new contract, and then they show him around the office and fill him in on the MCU.

Edit: If anything reasonably close to this actually happens, I want money.

Make Deadpool the Not Brand Echs of the MCU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gaz-L posted:

That would be pretty great.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if they're going to soft reboot the series or if Deadpool 1 and 2 will be inserted into the canon of the MCU as well.

Will Juggernaut canonically have said "I'm going to melt you down and turn you into a cockring" in the same universe where Captain America said "Language"?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JordanKai posted:

same universe where Captain America said "Language"?

That is by far and away my least favorite joke in the entire MCU. The idea that Cap, a guy who served in WW2, would chide somebody for swearing is patently ridiculous.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morbius got delayed, again. It was supposed to come out in March but has been delayed to October 8th.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

I wonder if they're going to soft reboot the series or if Deadpool 1 and 2 will be inserted into the canon of the MCU as well.

Will Juggernaut canonically have said "I'm going to melt you down and turn you into a cockring" in the same universe where Captain America said "Language"?

I'm going to say soft reboot but in classic Deadpool fashion, he'll remember the old universe and comment on it whenever the new Juggernaut shows up.

I unironically can't wait for him to comment on whenever the X-Men do the Dark Phoenix saga again (because it will happen, you all know it)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Only if we get Phoenix vs Galactus

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

howe_sam posted:

That is by far and away my least favorite joke in the entire MCU. The idea that Cap, a guy who served in WW2, would chide somebody for swearing is patently ridiculous.

Whedon in general seemed to have a real problem mixing comic Cap's tone with movie Cap's tone, and this was a symptom of that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Deadpool is super easy to just have show up in the MCU and to have the character himself go "don't worry about it"

I just hope this means more Negasonic, Yukio, Cable, and Zazie Beetz's Domino :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Circutron posted:

Whedon in general seemed to have a real problem mixing comic Cap's tone with movie Cap's tone, and this was a symptom of that.

Comic cap isn't a fuckin' idiot either so I think Whedon's just a clown who should spend more time trying to be a good writer and less time trying to bang his subordinates.