Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The idea that anyone is proud of literally anything in Alberta is a huge lol

As someone with lots of family in Alberta, hearing that V is from Alberta immediately explains everything about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he's a special dumb frozen in amber. most people who were like him in their late teens/twenties ended up...

well, we saw a lot of them on the news recently. i don't think he's that bad

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean the thing is you can absolutely argue Sales tax is regressive... because it is. It affects the working class and doesn't touch the rich. The ability to understand that and express it seems beyond them though.

Alberta is a right wing petrol state so yes V trumpeting about that is Telling.

As for Woolie, he likes to take that "oh you silly Americans, you'll get your business sorted oh soon" angle, and like motherfucker Trudeau is butchering some First Nations folks RIGHT NOW AND CANADA HAS GLEEFULLY SUPPORTED US CRIMES AROUND THE WORLD EVERY STEP OF THE WAY

God I can't stand Canadian Liberals.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 11, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Without context of the Kotor2 thing, I'm always going to give Canadians some liberty on the "lol america" stuff, as being a Canadian myself, we're inundated with American politics while Americans frequently know jack poo poo about ours.

There's definitely some things that can be grating (the aforementioned misrepresentation of tax brackets that kinda perpetuates that misunderstanding and just generally leaning into the "taxes bad" despite the acknowledgement that they bring us Canadians health care) but I do appreciate that at least Woolie and Pat generally try to be on the right side of social issues? (The Guilty Gear thing excluded.)

Though, I personally find V's "lol cant wait to go back to Alberta" particularly grating as a Canadian because I don't feel like taking pride in that province having lower sales tax is worthwhile given, the whole rest of the deal of that province. It also just extremely reminds me of some dipshits in my highschool who wouldn't shut up about how they couldn't wait to move out to Alberta and get rich and how it was only a matter of time till Alberta secedes.

Pat's generally on the right side of economic issues too the few times they have come up. For everything else you can knock him on he seems to reserve his big mouth and weird hangups for poo poo that doesn't actually matter like the assessment of Rare's collective works.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
pat is a pure intuition brain guy and fortunately politics and economics are very intuitive. lots of people think they arent but thats because they have had to ignore their intuition so they could be wrong about something

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oxyclean posted:

Without context of the Kotor2 thing, I'm always going to give Canadians some liberty on the "lol america" stuff, as being a Canadian myself, we're inundated with American politics while Americans frequently know jack poo poo about ours.

Excuse you, we know plenty. Rob Ford, blackface, pseudo French terrorists, Chinese folks, and the contents of the show Letterkenny. Done.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Warbird posted:

Excuse you, we know plenty. Rob Ford, blackface, pseudo French terrorists, Chinese folks, and the contents of the show Letterkenny. Done.

Also the arc of Trailer Park Boys where Ricky tries to run for some kind of office. I forget which.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

"Your strongest option continues to remain the parry, no matter what you want."

So I'm enjoying Reggie Souls but I think this is my last best friends anything, because holy poo poo I am so tired of Woolie's sanctimoniously being wrong about everything and inability to think of or describe anything in terms other than FGC bullshit.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Omi no Kami posted:

So I'm enjoying Reggie Souls but I think this is my last best friends anything, because holy poo poo I am so tired of Woolie's sanctimoniously being wrong about everything and inability to think of or describe anything in terms other than FGC bullshit.

I saw a clip of the DeS playthrough where Reggie was kind of summing up the stamina system as tabletop actions, and while it was a wobbly comparison, it was a lot better than a lot of Woolie's fighting game comparisons when talking about Souls.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Pennsylvanian posted:

I saw a clip of the DeS playthrough where Reggie was kind of summing up the stamina system as tabletop actions, and while it was a wobbly comparison, it was a lot better than a lot of Woolie's fighting game comparisons when talking about Souls.

The really weird thing is, like, who the heck cares- everyone digests information differently, and making something relevant to your experience is a key part of learning... but it feels like Woolie literally cannot think about a video game in non-FGC terms, and I can't stop hearing it when he starts getting in on Reggie about footsies and spacing and counterhits, and, like, holy poo poo- Reggie was so much closer to understanding the game when he was smashing his face into 1-1 and 1-2 than he is now. Weirdly enough I didn't care when it was Pat giving advice that was pushy but usually at least 30-50% accurate, but so far Demon's feels like Reggie saying or trying semi-accurate things, and Woolie bullying him away from the truth and towards The Woolie Way.

(Case in point, they're 10+ hours into Demon's Souls and Reggie is under the impression that shields suck and are never the answer, holy poo poo guys.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Heads up, there's gonna be like an hour of Woolie and Pat talking about the Qanon/Insurrection like it's a Janet Jackson boobslip.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Omi no Kami posted:

The really weird thing is, like, who the heck cares- everyone digests information differently, and making something relevant to your experience is a key part of learning... but it feels like Woolie literally cannot think about a video game in non-FGC terms, and I can't stop hearing it when he starts getting in on Reggie about footsies and spacing and counterhits, and, like, holy poo poo- Reggie was so much closer to understanding the game when he was smashing his face into 1-1 and 1-2 than he is now. Weirdly enough I didn't care when it was Pat giving advice that was pushy but usually at least 30-50% accurate, but so far Demon's feels like Reggie saying or trying semi-accurate things, and Woolie bullying him away from the truth and towards The Woolie Way.

(Case in point, they're 10+ hours into Demon's Souls and Reggie is under the impression that shields suck and are never the answer, holy poo poo guys.)

I remember Pat backing off around episode 12 of the DS2 playthrough, only occasionally chiming in to tell Woolie to stop doing footsie and just attack the enemies.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Omi no Kami posted:

but it feels like Woolie literally cannot think about a video game in non-FGC terms

Because Woolie is obsessed with his own identity above everything else. He puts everything into FGC terms because he is the Fighting Game Guy, he gravitates to games with good character creators because he always wants to put himself in the game, and it's why "Woolie Bait" is such a big meme in the fandom.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because Woolie is obsessed with his own identity above everything else. He puts everything into FGC terms because he is the Fighting Game Guy, he gravitates to games with good character creators because he always wants to put himself in the game, and it's why "Woolie Bait" is such a big meme in the fandom.

Poor Woolie. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They're literally doing a "You gotta hand it to him" for their prime minister, to that one guy about how they deal with politics

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

He kinda goes on to make a point about it being a good way to deal with *that* enemy. And I can sort of appreciate that because I was awful at parrying in DS1, and Gwyn gave me some problems. On a repeat playthrough, I had a bit of a better handle on parrying and Gwyn was kind of comical by comparison.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

He kinda goes on to make a point about it being a good way to deal with *that* enemy. And I can sort of appreciate that because I was awful at parrying in DS1, and Gwyn gave me some problems. On a repeat playthrough, I had a bit of a better handle on parrying and Gwyn was kind of comical by comparison.

That's true, and I suppose this is getting granular to the point that who cares, just let them play how they want, but it bugs me because parrying is really hard as a beginner relative to the other option, which is just putting on a better shield, blocking the weak blows, and using the shieldbreaker windups to walk around the dude and backstab him. Maybe that's just how I like to play, but it feels like something Reggie could've learned in 30 seconds.

(It's also kinda driving me crazy that woolie doesn't seem to realize that backstabs require a neutral stance, so he keeps telling reggie that the stabs are failing because the model and capsule are rotated in different ways, but that's obscure enough that whatevs.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

That's true, and I suppose this is getting granular to the point that who cares, just let them play how they want, but it bugs me because parrying is really hard as a beginner relative to the other option, which is just putting on a better shield, blocking the weak blows, and using the shieldbreaker windups to walk around the dude and backstab him. Maybe that's just how I like to play, but it feels like something Reggie could've learned in 30 seconds.

(It's also kinda driving me crazy that woolie doesn't seem to realize that backstabs require a neutral stance, so he keeps telling reggie that the stabs are failing because the model and capsule are rotated in different ways, but that's obscure enough that whatevs.)
No, I'm with you because that's how I approached my first souls game. Hell, even by DS3/BB, my focus became smacking down enemies with big weapons. Parry feels like something you do with game knowledge, but that's just me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

never let a dark souls fan tell you how to play dark souls, it will be the single worst mistake you can ever make in your life

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

never let a dark souls fan tell you how to play dark souls, it will be the single worst mistake you can ever make in your life

Never let a dark souls fan tell you anything, honestly- I love dark souls, but boy are we a bunch of jerkasses when you get us talking about dark souls. :)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

yea but keep in mind he's talking to his buddy reggie a guy he knows is really familiar with parrying from many other games already, not a brand new player that has never heard of parrying before... basically either chill out and relax or stop watching if you're gonna get triggered by bad advice from these guys, the notorious bad advice + opinions krew

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tae posted:

They're literally doing a "You gotta hand it to him" for their prime minister, to that one guy about how they deal with politics
"Blackface is not equal to sponsoring a self-coup" said Pat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

"Blackface is not equal to sponsoring a self-coup" said Pat.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

isnt the point of a lets play seeing the person play the game? and not have everything explained for them and guided through, especially in a game that really doesn't need it. stats in Souls are just there to make things easier anyway

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pennsylvanian posted:

I remember Pat backing off around episode 12 of the DS2 playthrough, only occasionally chiming in to tell Woolie to stop doing footsie and just attack the enemies.

DROP YOUR SHIELD

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blackface is, again, not actually the worst thing Trudeau is done, but I guess First Nations people don't matter.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Gonna be a big egg on their face when the Qubeckers seize the national maple syrup reserves in 5 years.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hell, I'm poo poo at parrying, so I still do that pretty often.

Omi no Kami posted:

Never let a dark souls fan tell you anything, honestly- I love dark souls, but boy are we a bunch of jerkasses when you get us talking about dark souls. :)

Pat's quote from Plague (from last week's podcast) about Souls players being dead inside after years of Souls games who can only find enjoyment in watching players new to the series is pretty spot on

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yanno I didn't think the discourse on CSB about the terrorist attack was that bad until they went on about how Trudeau is just the blackface guy. Like they got a solid hour in without getting too stupid but then just blissfully ignoring their own country's shittiness in favor of "lol trudeau could be blackface for the rest of his life and I'd be happy if that's all he had wrong with him"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is some brave soul willing to figure out the timestamps so i can just not listen to them clumsily stumblefuck through the politics this time

usually i don't mind it but whew, this one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not a terrible listen until they start in on trudeau blackface, but about an hour, hour and five in should sort you

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they usually provide their own fairly detailed timestamps

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This might explain Woolie's warped views on tax brackets

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that's a spicy wrinkle

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That's dope in the most miserable way lol.

Finished 13 Sentinels! Amazing game. Decided it's time to check Woolie for some reactions and just lol at experiencing the game like that oof.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We always accused Pat for years of being obsessed with trying to outsmart the stories of games he plays but Woolie is a hundred times worse

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Woolie is just Pat from a loop ago trying to save Fighting Games.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Did church break Woolie's brain or something?

I really feel sorry for Reggie in 13 Sentinels, because he's been tracking things in a sensible way and Woolie just keeps steamrolling him with completely asinine poo poo.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tupperwarez posted:

Did church break Woolie's brain or something?

i don't think it's to blame for this part but yeah that's how childhood trauma usually goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Patware posted:

i don't think it's to blame for this part but yeah that's how childhood trauma usually goes
He's also mentioned that he's the only one in his extended family to have overcome his dogmatic programming, so he reacts very strongly to cults/zealotry/etc.