Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I would link the Bristol post article but the site is hot vomit spammy trash and I'll spare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It's illegal to be British and have sandwich now :bahgawd:

https://twitter.com/OwenAdamsYT1/status/1348256421331275776?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guess that makes this guy an uitsmijter for Uitsmijters (real Dutch sandwich heads will know)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Dugong posted:

Having my first Asda delivery arrive today and got an email this morning saying half my items can't be included in the delivery. Is this normal? It's not anything exotic, stuff like bin bags aren't available.
My gf mentioned that the shelves were looking a bit empty at the shop the other day, was fine when I went last week though.

Brexit? Panic buying? Covid-related supply interruptions? Who knows!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Endjinneer posted:

I had this but with 9,000 miles/10,000 miles per year. One of the advantages of price comparison websites is that it's way easier to optimise these sorts of things. The voluntary excess is another one that benefits from experimentation.

A word of warning: insurance companies log quote attempts through comparison sites against your IP address. So fiddling with stuff like mileage and voluntary excess is no issue, but if you start messing around with quotes at lots of different postcodes, changing whether or not your car is modified, adding and removing past claims, then that all gets recorded and they may use that against you if you take the policy and then make a claim.

source: used to work in an insurer's counter-fraud dept :guillotine:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tarnop posted:

A word of warning: insurance companies log quote attempts through comparison sites against your IP address. So fiddling with stuff like mileage and voluntary excess is no issue, but if you start messing around with quotes at lots of different postcodes, changing whether or not your car is modified, adding and removing past claims, then that all gets recorded and they may use that against you if you take the policy and then make a claim.

source: used to work in an insurer's counter-fraud dept :guillotine:
I bought a car with a cheap parking sensor attached & after getting my quotes went outside & ripped it out to get the better deal, am I going to jail?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dugong posted:

Having my first Asda delivery arrive today and got an email this morning saying half my items can't be included in the delivery. Is this normal? It's not anything exotic, stuff like bin bags aren't available.

It's pretty normal for Asda, yeah. I've been told (literally no idea if it's true) that the problem is that they grab stuff from the warehouse, not the shelves, which means they "run out" even if the stuff's out on the shelves.

Oh yeah, Trump's gone by the way:

https://twitter.com/tprstly/status/1348719567523217410

(Hacked or a prank by some intern on his way out the door but still lol)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Borrovan posted:

I bought a car with a cheap parking sensor attached & after getting my quotes went outside & ripped it out to get the better deal, am I going to jail?

Non-performance mods don't tend to matter.

With modifications it tends to work like this: you make a claim, the insurer gets your car into one of their garages who report back that your car is modified. If you didn't declare it, your policy can be made void back to inception, but if they can prove you lied on purpose they don't have to refund your premiums. Entering different quotes with and without mods can be used as proof you knew about them but lied for cheaper premiums

Evidence I have used to prove deliberate misrepresentation of modifications:

- trying lots of different quotes with or without mods
- forum or social media posts under an account linked to the same email address as the quote, talking about the mods on the car
- the fact that the insured was a lecturer in automotive engineering but claimed not to know what an aftermarket air filter was

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 11, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Dugong posted:

You'll often have a substitute if you pick something outrageously fruity - perhaps an exotic Pringles flavour but its normally a 1 item in 40 kind of ratio

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Ocado have emailed customers to expect missing/substituted stuff in the coming weeks but just had one delivered and it was fine. Ocado is a bit different to most of them though.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's pretty normal for Asda, yeah. I've been told (literally no idea if it's true) that the problem is that they grab stuff from the warehouse, not the shelves, which means they "run out" even if the stuff's out on the shelves.

Oh yeah, Trump's gone by the way:

https://twitter.com/tprstly/status/1348719567523217410

(Hacked or a prank by some intern on his way out the door but still lol)

lol Pence is the same

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I was shopping in Asda this evening and there were shortages of something's certainly. Particularly for fruit such as strawberrys or Bananas.

I managed to get everything I wanted, but there were gaps for sure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tarnop posted:

With modifications it tends to work like this: you make a claim, the insurer gets your car into one of their garages who report back that your car is modified. If you didn't declare it, your policy can be made void back to inception, but if they can prove you lied on purpose they don't have to refund your premiums. Entering different quotes with and without mods can be used as proof you knew about them but lied for cheaper premiums

- forum or social media posts under an account linked to the same email address as the quote, talking about the mods on the car
- the fact that the insured was a lecturer in automotive engineering but claimed not to know what an aftermarket air filter was

To add to this, if they can't prove you lied deliberately there's a good chance you'll still get something out of the claim and keep the policy, they'll just adjust your premium to what it should be and pay a proportional settlement (eg if you paid half of what you should have they'll pay half the claim).

They'll usually be able to prove if it's deliberate though via the aforementioned IP tracing so it's not worth the risk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tsietisin posted:

I was shopping in Asda this evening and there were shortages of something's certainly. Particularly for fruit such as strawberrys or Bananas.

I managed to get everything I wanted, but there were gaps for sure.

This time of year those are things coming from way outside the EU (well I suppose bananas that's the case any time of the year) so probably not *directly* related to Brexit, but I suppose ripple effects on logistics generally are going to be affecting stuff even if it's coming from South America.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Guess that makes this guy an uitsmijter for Uitsmijters (real Dutch sandwich heads will know)

:golfclap:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

AceClown posted:

lol Pence is the same

I love how they're using GMT/UTC/CET as opposed to any American timezone.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

stev posted:

To add to this, if they can't prove you lied deliberately there's a good chance you'll still get something out of the claim and keep the policy, they'll just adjust your premium to what it should be and pay a proportional settlement (eg if you paid half of what you should have they'll pay half the claim).

They'll usually be able to prove if it's deliberate though via the aforementioned IP tracing so it's not worth the risk.

I worked for an insurer that didn't offer quotes at all on modified cars, so the policies would get voided because there was no level of premium where we would offer cover. If there had been, then you're right, insurers are obliged to offer to correct the policy and charge the difference in premium.

In the case of heavily modified vehicles, there were almost always forum posts to prove that it was deliberate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

My gf mentioned that the shelves were looking a bit empty at the shop the other day, was fine when I went last week though.

Brexit? Panic buying? Covid-related supply interruptions? Who knows!

I will say that the warehouse at work is almost empty but I don't know if that is because of covid, brexit, or just because it's early january.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not at all true that I am aware of, the pickers pick from the shop floor, not the warehouse, unless they do it differently in london for some reason. But if you see people wandering around with small PDAs and wheeling a green trolley full of black trays, those are the home shopping pickers, there's a small army of them in most stores at the moment, they usually work early mornings but nowadays they're on most of the day.

The way the warehouse is structured means that you couldn't pick from the warehouse if you wanted to because it's all kept boxed up or wrapped until they work it onto the shop floor.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 11, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sainsbury's have been mostly fine with online shopping but I think they pick from the shop rather than a warehouse. There's always some substitutions but no more than pre-covid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

stev posted:

Sainsbury's have been mostly fine with online shopping but I think they pick from the shop rather than a warehouse. There's always some substitutions but no more than pre-covid.

They do, you see them going round with their scanners all the time when you're in there. A fair few more substitutions than normal for my collection but it was 90% fine. Nothing was missing at least.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

EvilHawk posted:

I'm amazed they tell you this! I used to work for an insurance company (both for the customer side and then moving into the background) and we were under strict orders to never reveal the secrets of the rates tables.

It's surprising they rate on country though (and it's out of 25 ???). I wouldn't expect there would be much correlation between someone in the south west compared to, say, Birmingham. Possibly it's a very tiny rating step (we had a few that were like 0.995 for being a member of a driving club, and it made next to no difference).

To be fair the other fields are Area, Neighbourhood and Crime, so it looks like they're using it to build an overall picture. Overall my personal profile is actually pretty good, but I did get stung in a few other areas. For reference I'm a male in my early thirties living in the South East insuring a 3 year old BMW 320i with a 7 year no claims bonus.

Fuel and transmission - 5/12 - Apparently automatic petrols are a higher risk.
Tracker - 0/4 - No tracker.
Value & time driven - 2/47 - My vehicle is classed as low value so is a higher risk (what are they comparing this to, a Porsche 911?).
Vehicle age & time driven - 20/38 - I've had it for over 2.5 years without crashing it, so this one will improve year on year.
Number of drivers - 4/17 - Its just me on the policy. My partner hates driving and historically has declined to be placed on my insurance.
Marital status - 2/4 - Co-habiting reduces my risk somewhat. Presumably married brings that to 3/4. So what must you do to get a 4/4 I wonder?

I don't even use it nearly as much as I used to. I've got a company van so it sits at home throughout most of the week.

Ooh forgot one. Home ownership - 0/4. Self explanatory.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 11, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Marital status - 2/4 - Co-habiting reduces my risk somewhat. Presumably married brings that to 3/4. So what must you do to get a 4/4 I wonder?

Polygamy.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lord Ludikrous posted:

To be fair the other fields are Area, Neighbourhood and Crime, so it looks like they're using it to build an overall picture. Overall my personal profile is actually pretty good, but I did get stung in a few other areas. For reference I'm a male in my early thirties living in the South East insuring a 3 year old BMW 320i with a 7 year no claims bonus.

Value & time driven - 2/47 - My vehicle is classed as low value so is a higher risk (what are they comparing this to, a Porsche 911?).
Vehicle age & time driven - 20/38 - I've had it for over 2.5 years without crashing it, so this one will improve year on year.
Number of drivers - 4/17 - Its just me on the policy. My partner hates driving and historically has declined to be placed on my insurance.

I don't even use it nearly as much as I used to. I've got a company van so it sits at home throughout most of the week.

Automatics are a higher risk because they don't have a clutch break so people end up driving into walls.

Sometimes it's worth just shoving your partner on the policy even if they don't want to drive it if it brings the price down!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Spend less on candles.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's all bollocks though cos, like you say, they do all this clever stuff then nothing changes next year but the price goes up by 50%. It's a racket.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

We are enemies now.

Time for my AIAB rant.

First claim - motorbike was stolen from my front garden. I'd said (on their advice) that it was parked on a driveway because the form had no box for a garden - they said that because it didn't attach to a road it wasn't a driveway so there was no theft coverage overnight.

Second claim - car turned right into me as I was filtering along the outside. I had three witnesses, plus the very obvious massive gashes in his front right wing from my footpeg and crash bung and the fact I and my bike ended up on the other side of the road (I almost went under a bus, which was fun, and the driver of the bus was one of my witnesses). Driver claimed I had instead turned into him, which... erm... kinda fails the smell test. Now, I'm not saying that the fact that we had the same insurer (rot in loving hell Swinton) and I only had FPT&T while he had fully comp, and the expense of repairing my bike was much higher than the cost of repairing his wing, led to them ruling the crash was 80/20 my fault (for filtering past a junction despite the junction being 50 metres away), but that's definitely what happened.

Third claim - after I patched up that bike, it got nicked from my garage. Their opening gambit was a suspiciously similar one to that first claim - "Aha! The garage is not physically attached to your house! This makes it not a garage!". I reminded them that they do actually allow garage parking away from my home address as long as I provide the address of the garage, which I had. They thought about if for a while then asked why I was putting in a claim for the full value of the bike despite it being a Cat D writeoff - foolishly I told them I'd repaired the damage, they asked for receipts for the parts I'd used, and because one item - the loving windscreen! - had "WSB" (World Superbike) in the product name I'd installed performance mods without telling them and they were denying the claim (and then threatening to blacklist me with the MIB for submitting a fraudulent claim when I told them what poo poo they were talking).

Although I will say that Aviva were a loving *dream* on my last claim, giving me the full second-hand value of the bike after a single phone call, with the money hitting my account before I'd even found an envelope to send the keys to them in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

Automatics are a higher risk because they don't have a clutch break so people end up driving into walls.

No, it's definitely a bug in the gearbox/cruise control/fuel injection that made the car accelerate straight through the window of that shop! The harder I stood on the brake the faster it went!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

First claim - motorbike was stolen from my front garden. I'd said (on their advice) that it was parked on a driveway because the form had no box for a garden - they said that because it didn't attach to a road it wasn't a driveway so there was no theft coverage overnight.

Serves you right for having one of those extradimensional gardens that is inaccessible from the road. Insurance doesn't cover thefts by plane travelling wizards.

EvilHawk posted:

My mother did this and I still don't understand how, having never driven an automatic. The first ancient shitbox I drove definitely had the clutch break when I was halfway up a hill though and it certainly arrested any forward motion of the vehicle permanently.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Dugong posted:

Asda, while cheap, are also incredibly poo poo.

Half your items wont turn up and when they get there it's 50/50 on whether the delivery driver claims they can't bring the food to your door.

Last time i ordered from them, I was a city center flat and the guy forced me to come down and stand in the middle of a busy road while he handed me the bags from the back of the van. Never went back to them.

Sainsbury's had the best drivers of all when i lived there. They were always just so nice and helped unpack the trays and everything too when they brought them up. Hopefully they were paid better but probably not.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

I had an argument with one of my insurers about what counted as a "mod". Do factory fitted options cost if they were selected at time of purchase? (I know, I bought my car new :guillotine:). They seemed to imply that any option apart from 4 wheels, the engine, body and seats were considered mods and needed declaration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I had an argument with one of my insurers about what counted as a "mod". Do factory fitted options cost if they were selected at time of purchase? (I know, I bought my car new :guillotine:). They seemed to imply that any option apart from 4 wheels, the engine, body and seats were considered mods and needed declaration.

I don't know how that even works if you're buying it second hand, how should I know what was extra when it was new?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If people don't follow Jack Monroe, she's got a thread on twitter about how lovely some of the food parcels that replaced vouchers are.

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1348698098139328513

On a similar, and completely unsurprising note:

https://twitter.com/jane__bradley/status/1348685675852390409?s=19

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

OwlFancier posted:

My mother did this and I still don't understand how, having never driven an automatic. The first ancient shitbox I drove definitely had the clutch break when I was halfway up a hill though and it certainly arrested any forward motion of the vehicle permanently.

My fiance's dad has an automatic and I had to move it off their driveway a year ago and it genuinely took me 5 minutes to figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Z the IVth posted:

Depending on who you speak to you might just be chatting to a 17 year old out of college who doesn't even know how to drive, or someone who's like 3 companies separated from the underwriters.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Z the IVth posted:

Was this Admiral by any chance? Those fuckers consider anything thats above the most bare minimum spec a modification that has to be declared, regardless of whether it was built that way or retrofitted.

They're the only ones I know of that do it too. Seriously gently caress them, if it came with something from the factory then its not a loving modification.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kin posted:

Asda, while cheap, are also incredibly poo poo.

Half your items wont turn up and when they get there it's 50/50 on whether the delivery driver claims they can't bring the food to your door.

Last time i ordered from them, I was a city center flat and the guy forced me to come down and stand in the middle of a busy road while he handed me the bags from the back of the van. Never went back to them.

Sainsbury's had the best drivers of all when i lived there. They were always just so nice and helped unpack the trays and everything too when they brought them up. Hopefully they were paid better but probably not.

if I'm a delivery driver there is no loving way I'm carrying boxes of shopping up to someone's top floor flat

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Then I guess you wouldn't be one for long?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I live on the first floor and Sainsbury's drivers very rarely offer to carry shopping up to my flat. I wouldn't particularly want them to either, having them drag all the boxes up stairs seems a bit much since I can do it myself.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When I lived in a flat the Tesco drivers got arsey about me taking stuff at the door and insisted on coming up to the 4th floor. I had a lift tho so nbd

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Given the general shittiness of housing I think there's legit health and safety concerns for why a delivery driver should not be forced to drop things off at the actual front door of the person ordering unless it's street facing.

It's loving awful carrying 4 crates of shopping up 4 flights of stairs but imagine if you were supposed to be doing that maybe dozens of times a day in inadequately lit, unsecured stairwells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
plus a lot of modern blocks of flats are extremely badly laid out and don't have any signs about which flats are where so it can take ages to find the one you're looking for