Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

surf rock posted:

4.) Fumikage Tokoyami (Tsukuyomi) - REVELRY IN THE DARK

i choose to believe that in your heart you know that tokoyami deserves number 1 but instead you gave him the Death Number because it's on-brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

surf rock posted:

- I forgot to mention after the season one power rankings: I like that everybody in Class 1-A gets along, minus Bakugo. They have regular disagreements, which makes sense, but they're all good-natured kids. It reminds me of my high school experience a lot more than most media depictions of school.

I actually really like that most of 1-A seems to like Bakugo just fine, regardless of the fact that he doesn't seem to like them back. They're not at all afraid of him and treat his personality like an unfortunate side effect but he's still one of them and they care about him. Kirishima and Kaminari both follow him around like puppies (and Bakugo canonically tutors Kirishima at least so it's clearly not a one way street). In season 4, Bakugo kind of expands his friend group just slightly (with the only person in all of class 1-A more emotionally stunted than him) so look forward to that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It probably helped when they realized that as long as you’re not Deku he isn’t actually going to kill or destroy you

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CuwiKhons posted:

I actually really like that most of 1-A seems to like Bakugo just fine, regardless of the fact that he doesn't seem to like them back. They're not at all afraid of him and treat his personality like an unfortunate side effect but he's still one of them and they care about him. Kirishima and Kaminari both follow him around like puppies (and Bakugo canonically tutors Kirishima at least so it's clearly not a one way street). In season 4, Bakugo kind of expands his friend group just slightly (with the only person in all of class 1-A more emotionally stunted than him) so look forward to that.

Bakugo is the worst part of Bakusquad, it's true

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I stand by my belief that this will only be a good show if he dies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

"Deku, help me take my mask off."
"But you'll die."
"Nothing can stop that now. Just for once... let me look on you with my own eyes."

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 4, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
When I'm done with you, you'll be Bakugone!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Buh? Bakugo is a little poo poo but he is a teenager and not only never crossed the line but has actively become a better and less abusive person. What has he done that would ever necessitate his death as atonement?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

surf rock posted:

Season 3 is in the books, and it's time for updated student power rankings!

quote:

And power rankings for the intro/outro music...

I've been meaning to ask what you mean by "power ranking" exactly. I typically associate the term with fighting power, or ability to upset the status quo.

Are you using it in a more abstract way (i.e. the emotional power a character or op/ed track has over you) or is there some other use of it I'm missing?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

jassa posted:

I've been meaning to ask what you mean by "power ranking" exactly. I typically associate the term with fighting power, or ability to upset the status quo.

Are you using it in a more abstract way (i.e. the emotional power a character or op/ed track has over you) or is there some other use of it I'm missing?

Oh, yeah, my choice of phrase here is confusing. These are just my preferences.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

surf rock posted:

Oh, yeah, my choice of phrase here is confusing. These are just my preferences.

Oh cool, I thought so but didn't want to make assumptions. :)

Also, a couple more responses to your previous post...

quote:

7.) Shoto Todoroki (Shoto) - I see why people say he's boring, but I think he's a pretty realistic example of internal and external character conflict. I like him! He also has a cool sister, which makes him maybe the only hero with a sibling?

Strange, but yeah the only other one who comes to mind is Tensei Ida (the original Ingenium). It's probably just the author not wanting to get sidetracked creating too many irrelevant characters or backstories, but it'd be interesting if it was intentional, and heroes had a tendency for being only children. You could unpack a lot from that (psychological factors, impact on society, etc).

quote:

- Sometimes, I feel conflicted about the show's pacing. As someone who grew up with DBZ, the speed is usually refreshing, but I do feel like the peak moments of DBZ surpass the peak moments of MHA for me. I'm sure that that's partly the age at which I'm seeing these moments for the first time, but it feels like there's enough buildup in MHA to make the moments logical but often not emotional for me, if that makes sense.

I haven't watched DBZ but have you watched/read One Piece? If so, how would you compare the pacing to that? (Preferably pre-Enies Lobby when the anime pacing was better)

quote:

- Shout out to the mothers in the cast. Deku's mom has always been great, but Bakugo's mom is one of my new favorite characters.

Not gonna lie, I genuinely wish we got to see more of the parents in MHA, all the ones we've seen seem pretty great. Though as mentioned above the author probably doesn't want to get sidetracked or bogged down too much.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Tsuyu has siblings, she's the oldest of three I believe. Everyone else in her family is also very froggy :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Tsuyu has siblings, she's the oldest of three I believe. Everyone else in her family is also very froggy :3:

I kind of want to see more of Tsuyu’s family honestly (even the manga hasn’t touched on them at all aside from a little bonus chapter the OVA in question was somewhat based on), especially her giant toad dad.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Larryb posted:

I kind of want to see more of Tsuyu’s family honestly (even the manga hasn’t touched on them at all aside from a little bonus chapter the OVA in question was somewhat based on), especially her giant toad dad.

I could have sworn they showed up in the main anime at some point but I checked and I guess they don't? I haven't seen the OVAs so I have no idea where I saw the frog family. At any rate, they look like this! Spoilered just in case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

I could have sworn they showed up in the main anime at some point but I checked and I guess they don't? I haven't seen the OVAs so I have no idea where I saw the frog family. At any rate, they look like this! Spoilered just in case.

Nope, the OVA was literally their only appearance in the series as of now (as far as I remember anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 5, 2021

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

7.) Shoto Todoroki (Shoto) - I see why people say he's boring, but I think he's a pretty realistic example of internal and external character conflict. I like him! He also has a cool sister, which makes him maybe the only hero with a sibling?

Poor Tensei Ida. Got an entire speech from Stain about how he wasn't going to outright kill you, and then this slight.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

there wolf posted:

Poor Tensei Ida. Got an entire speech from Stain about how he wasn't going to outright kill you, and then this slight.

Haha, whoops, forgot about him. I did want to mention that I feel like Ida (the classmate one) got kind of screwed by the writer; his brother's specialty was rescues, right? Ida should've been the star of the rescue portion of the provisional exam.

jassa posted:

I haven't watched DBZ but have you watched/read One Piece? If so, how would you compare the pacing to that? (Preferably pre-Enies Lobby when the anime pacing was better)

I had a Shonen Jump subscription for about five years when that was still in print, so I did read a decent chunk of it. Apparently there's an infinite quantity of One Piece so I would be surprised if it were even 20% of its run. I don't remember how good I thought the pacing was, though.

Well, hell, I love making lists. I bet I can make a list of what I've ever read/watched, much of which was in my preteen/teenage years. Here it is, with parenthetical notes for those that I only read/watched part of:

Manga I've read

- Death Note
- Hikaru no Go (however much was in SJ)
- One Piece (through the Crocodile battle)
- Sand Land
- Yu Yu Hakusho (through the Dark Tournament)

There were a lot of other manga (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Gintama, Letter Bee, Slam Dunk) that I remember got a preview or a short run in Shonen Jump but that I don't remember at all. I also know I must've read a fair amount of Bleach, but that didn't stick in my memory at all.

Anime shows I've watched

- Dragon Ball Z
- Dragon Ball GT
- Dragon Ball Super
- My Hero Academia (first three seasons)
- Naruto (through Sasuke's defection to Orochimaru)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (the recent Netflix release)
- One-Punch Man (I think I'm caught up after watching two seasons)
- Romeo + Juliet
- Shaman King
- Yu-Gi-Oh! (through Battle City)

I know there are a few others (like IGPX, Zatch Bell) that I've seen something of since they were on TV, but I'm pretty sure it would just be a couple of episodes at most.

Anime movies I've watched

- All the DBZ movies, I think
- Akira
- The End of Evangelion
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Only Yesterday
- Paprika
- Tokyo Godfathers
- Weathering With You
- When Marnie Was There
- Your Name

Huh, these lists were a lot longer than I expected them to be. I just got an HBO Max subscription, so I plan to watch the rest of the Ghibli movies I haven't seen yet soon.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 5, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CuwiKhons posted:

Aaaaa I love their designs - especially the youngest, who gives off tadpole vibes. I really need to get around to watching the OVAs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

Aaaaa I love their designs - especially the youngest, who gives off tadpole vibes. I really need to get around to watching the OVAs.

They don’t appear for very long and I think only her siblings get lines but yeah, those are some nice designs.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

And now season four is in the books, as well. I'm not going to bother to do the character/music power rankings; my preferences seem pretty locked in at this point.

Instead, stray observations:

- I can't say I loved the yakuza arc. I didn't hate it, and I still preferred it to the first half of the first season, but I'd consider it the second-worst stretch of the show by a pretty large margin.
- Part of the problem for me was making an inaccurate assumption about Lemillion. For whatever reason I thought he was going to be the school's leak and that a heel turn was coming. I think it was a mixture of his freaky cartoon eyes and seeming redundancy with Deku around (although I know that him being Deku-but-better was a plot point, I figured it would be a "he's secretly mad he wasn't picked for One for All, which Sir Nighteye told him about" situation or something like that). It didn't take long to realize that that wasn't the case (and now I'm back to suspecting Invisible Girl), but I didn't get back on board with him until the fight where he lost his quirk. He's one of my favorites now, funny enough. Just generally, the Big Three seem fine but I don't enjoy the other two as much as Class 1-A, so that was a drawback in general.
- Speaking of eyes, I feel like I've never seen an animated show with so much eye diversity before and I appreciate it.
- Nighteye was also part of the problem for this arc, and I'm glad for the show's sake that he's dead. Additionally, the scene where the scantily-clad Bubble Girl is tied up in a tickling contraption was a Bit Much.
- Fatgum's voice was driving me crazy until I realized it was adult Gohan. Big fan!
- Kirishima got some shine! I liked that he already knew Mina from before the academy, and that he dyed his hair red.
- Deku's giant smile after jumping up into the sky with Eri was a highlight of the season. So was him immediately realizing that he could use her like a battery charger. Love a smart protagonist.
- I appreciate Ochaco just yelling "GUNHEAD MARTIAL ARTS!" instead of the name of an actual move.
- The pair of transition episodes with the remedial students babysitting the kids was also not great, but better. I appreciated that it did not sugarcoat what monsters children are.
- Biggest laugh of the season: "And Bakugo, you're not too bad when you're not talking! Try shutting up!" Camie is one of my new favorites. Like two minutes after that in the same episode, Endeavor said "I swear I'll become someone you can be proud of, too. Not just as the number one hero, but as a father." I thought for sure he was going to say "Not just as the number one hero, but as the number one dad" and it broke my heart that that didn't happen.
- However, I was extremely down for the school festival arc. We're finally back to Class 1-A, and it's finally time for Jiro's and Ashida's moments in the sun. They've always done well in my rankings despite getting very little screentime, so that was a blast.
- Gentle Criminal is my favorite villain in the series so far.
- I think the concert scene is my favorite scene across all four seasons. I'm a sucker for media that culminates in Let's All Put On A Big Show and goddammit, it was super fun. I love that they leaned so hard into the special effects; it makes sense given quirks and all. Everything with Jiro was perfect, Ochaco making crowd members float was great, and the visual of Chisaki getting blown away by the music to reveal Eri's gigantic smile was like some My Little Pony poo poo and it totally worked. That's a top-three shot for this show, in my opinion.
- Glad Ragdoll's feeling better. Also, Mirko seems like a direct copy of a Fantasy Fantasy XII character and I love Wash.

I'm going to debut new rankings: quirks! There are so many that I'm going to group them into tiers. Assumptions: (1) I'm the only person with a quirk, (2) having a quirk doesn't result in any physical deformities like it does in the show, and (3) I don't want to be a vigilante.

Cream of the crop: Brainwashing, Creation, Heal, High Spec, IQ, Overhaul

Great: Foresight, Glamour, Half-Cold Half-Hot, Outburst, Rewind, Warp Gate

Good: Anivoice, Compress, Elasticity, Electrification, Engine, Frog, Jet, Larceny, Search, Somnambulist, Zero Gravity, Zoom

Ehhh: Barrier, Big Fist, Bloodcurdle, Earphone Jack, Hardening/Steel, Hellflame, Lock Down, Love, One for All, Sugar Rush, Tape

Bad: Acid, Black Hole, Dark Shadow, Decay, Dupli-Arms, Explosion, Gigantification, Invisibility (only since it apparently can't be turned off), Manifest, Meatball, Navel Laser, Permeation, Pop Off, Sloshed

Literally useless since no other quirks exist: All for One, Copy, Erasure

I'm forgetting a ton, but it's not meant to be an exhaustive list.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And now you’re caught up with the rest of the thread unless you want to start reading the manga.

Also I forget, when does Season 5 start up again?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

March 27th according to trailers.

Also yeah, surf rock, the yakuza arc was really..... eh. And I loving hate Nighteye. Glad he's dead. I like Mirio as a person but it was a weird arc and he didn't exactly make it shine. On the other hand, I loving love Inasa and I hope he gets to show up more.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

- Nighteye was also part of the problem for this arc, and I'm glad for the show's sake that he's dead. Additionally, the scene where the scantily-clad Bubble Girl is tied up in a tickling contraption was a Bit Much.

Yeah, this show passes the incredibly low bar for sexism established by anime that you forget it's still a problem until something like the tickling thing or some fanservice shot of high school girls happens. And then you remember that not a single woman is ever presented as being on level with the male heroes, both students and pro-heroines are almost all heavily sexualized from their presentation to their powers, and the girls are constantly marginalized from the story in favor of male characters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did anyone here not notice that? I thought the lack of top tier female superheroes and extremely horny designs was incredibly obvious throughout. It's not particularly egregious for the genre but it doesn't rise above it at all either

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Momo and Midnight's costumes are about the only Mashima-tier horny costumes as far as I've seen.

Even Mirko's is pretty tame despite Horikoshi literally just saying on her omake page that she's designed based on absolutely everything that makes him horny

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There really is almost no fanservice in MHA compared to something like Bleach or Fairy Tail. Little here, little there.

On the flipside, it does not give half as much screentime to its female cast as FT where most of the awesomest characters doing awesome things are women.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Guy knows what he likes and draws it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

There really is almost no fanservice in MHA compared to something like Bleach or Fairy Tail. Little here, little there.

On the flipside, it does not give half as much screentime to its female cast as FT where most of the awesomest characters doing awesome things are women.
In Fairy Tail pretty much the most badass character is not the MC but instead Erza, who gets tons of extremely cool fights and is a super strong badass.

But she also endlessly pines after a lame male character and ends up nude/nearly nude every fight, including an arc where she spends a bunch of time chained to a wall, nude, while being tortured by a tentacle demon.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Fairytale also has a shitton of fanservice for the male characters to balance it out a little more, too. Like they actually thought if they're going to have a new girl who constantly needs to be rescued then lets make the other one a total powerhouse, and if the powerhouse's best armor is some torso-baring absurdity then here's a cute guy who's always getting naked. It's still got problems, but it feels like there was a consideration for making it more of an all-audiences show rather than just a boys one.

That's really what annoys me about the gender politics in MHA so much; it could very easily be the same way. The pieces are already there with several good female characters, just give them more storytime and make them part of Deku's outside school antics more. Also Mineta gets eaten by a bear and is never mentioned again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also in a series which falls back on power levels to a fair degree there could be at least one female member of the class with an a-lister quirk, even all of the supporting character heavies are men!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

multijoe posted:

Also in a series which falls back on power levels to a fair degree there could be at least one female member of the class with an a-lister quirk, even all of the supporting character heavies are men!

Well the good new is that the upcoming season will feature classes 1A and 1B battling it out so there's gonna be plenty of chances for strong girls to show their stuff.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Well good news, the upcoming season will feature classes 1A and 1B battling it out so there's gonna be plenty of chances for strong girls to show their stuff.

I don't know if this is ironic or not

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Are tehre any statistics on readers for comics like these? Are most of them male?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

multijoe posted:

I don't know if this is ironic or not

Without spoilers, they do pretty good.

Zzulu posted:

Are tehre any statistics on readers for comics like these? Are most of them male?

'Shounen anime' literally translates to 'young boys anime'.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In addition to the actual demographics, there is also what the editors think sells to take into account. I remember Daisuke Ashihara (the creator of World Trigger, another shounen comic) complaining that he had planned to set a female villain against male heroes, but that his editor didn’t think that was compelling, so he had the villain fight a squad of girls instead.

I don’t know how much control editors have over a series as popular as this one, though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

In addition to the actual demographics, there is also what the editors think sells to take into account. I remember Daisuke Ashihara (the creator of World Trigger, another shounen comic) complaining that he had planned to set a female villain against male heroes, but that his editor didn’t think that was compelling, so he had the villain fight a squad of girls instead.

I don’t know how much control editors have over a series as popular as this one, though.

If Toriyama can run into the issue I think anyone is at risk of being edited.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

If Toriyama can run into the issue I think anyone is at risk of being edited.

Anyone except Tatsuki Fujimoto.

Editors are as important as writers for determining how much will change, and they vary in intensity of suggestion as much as they do in style. Some editors (Shihei Rin) trust their writers enough that they accept what comes even if they talk to the mangaka about what might be good. (Chainsaw Man's protagonist came partially from a discussion about where all the horny as hell protagonists went and how to bring one back without being incredibly sexist.)

Moving away from editors to the target demographics, though, Shonen Jump actually has a huge female readerbase, to the point where titles like Haikyū!! have, at times, had female readers in the majority. The problem there is that female readers in Japan, in general, get their female protagonist needs covered by other magazines most of the time. If they're reading a comic in a boy's magazine, it's probably for the boys. (And, in the case of the Fujos, to draw doujins about the boys kissing).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i doubt the editors and writers in Japan care much but I've always been interested in the English and non-Japanese demographics for these kinds of things.

After all, shounen anime and manga are pretty much always the big hits everybody knows and watches. Every now and then you get a shojo hit or something other than a battle shounen but Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia - all battle shounen and all a cut above 99% of anime and manga in terms of popularity. So naturally girls are gonna become fans just because these series are super popular.

Hardly a representative sample but I made a thread on r/fairytail asking girls why they liked the anime/manga. Answers ranged from the hot boys to the funnies to the feels to the action.... Basically the same reason any boy watches the show.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

there wolf posted:

Fairytale also has a shitton of fanservice for the male characters to balance it out a little more, too.

One guy getting naked all the time for a joke doesn't balance out one girl getting naked against her will for horny tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If the guy was getting naked against his will for horny, would it balance out?