Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just saw my Micro Center has the 10600K for $229. How stupid of an idea is it to flip my 8086K and sidegrade?

V stupid for the reason B-Mac listed, but also because intel is like days away from announcing its (much faster, much more feature rich) replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just saw my Micro Center has the 10600K for $229. How stupid of an idea is it to flip my 8086K and sidegrade?

This wouldn't be worth the time, tbh

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cygni posted:

V stupid for the reason B-Mac listed, but also because intel is like days away from announcing its (much faster, much more feature rich) replacement.

Eh, I'll hold off. I figured the price I'd sell the 8086K for and the board would cover the transition. Probably not worth the effort though

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Probably not worth the effort though

Just about anything else would be better. Slot in a 9900k. Upgrade to a 10850k. Wait for their new processors.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
poo poo, I am tempted to go with a 9900KS from my 9900K and then I see benchmarks and realize that extra 200-400mhz is NOT WORTH IT.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m hoping to ride my 8700K to whenever DDR5 capable cpus come out but it might be a bit optimistic :haw:

Mostly because I am a huge nerd cpu powerfiend not because it will not be a viable cpu anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jink posted:

poo poo, I am tempted to go with a 9900KS from my 9900K and then I see benchmarks and realize that extra 200-400mhz is NOT WORTH IT.

If you're interested in wasting money for minimal improvement, send your 9900K to Silicon Lottery for liquid metal application.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

jink posted:

Also why I never bothered to overclock my 9900K (beyond getting rid of the turbo power/time limits). I wouldn't even notice the difference, especially with my current GTX1080 after I upgraded to a 1440p display.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Just picked up a e5 2697 v2 on the cheap for my unraid box (upgrading from a 3930k). Should breath some life into the old X79 platform until i replace it completely by Zen 5 or whatever Intel has. X79 was pretty awesome and long lived, only found out today you could cram 12 cores at decent (for a xeon) clock speeds in that platform - although they are a tad bit on the low side, not great but not terrible.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How much warmer AVX512 makes the CPU compared to AVX2? My 8700K has AVX2 only and it runs fine with no AVX offset on 4,7GHz. That is with big heatsink and liquid metal applied.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

priznat posted:

I’m hoping to ride my 8700K to whenever DDR5 capable cpus come out but it might be a bit optimistic :haw:

Mostly because I am a huge nerd cpu powerfiend not because it will not be a viable cpu anymore.
I can't decide between getting an 11x00K and next upgrading when DDR5 matures or getting onboard the first DDR5 generation. Sticking with the 8700K until DDR5 matures would obviously be the most sensible option but this is a hobby and I like building new machines more than once every five years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SuperTeeJay posted:

I can't decide between getting an 11x00K and next upgrading when DDR5 matures or getting onboard the first DDR5 generation. Sticking with the 8700K until DDR5 matures would obviously be the most sensible option but this is a hobby and I like building new machines more than once every five years.

if you want to build a new machine "soon", I think it's more prudent to get on Rocket Lake, and then jump on DDR5 once it's finally mature/cheap, rather than going to DDR5 immediately

not only will you avoid DDR5 being prohibitively expensive, but you're also going to avoid needing to buy three parts simultaneously at a time when stock availability is probably still going to be poo poo this year

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you're interested in wasting money for minimal improvement, send your 9900K to Silicon Lottery for liquid metal application.

Ha!

Yeah, I already delidded and liquid metal'd the chip. Also went with the baller Optimus block.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CD17KM6

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also why I never bothered to overclock my 9900K (beyond getting rid of the turbo power/time limits). I wouldn't even notice the difference, especially with my current GTX1080 after I upgraded to a 1440p display.

Indeed. I worked on overclocking but the hassle with these chips to control heat from spikes of voltage is an experiment with insanity. At this point I just want 4.7 all cores all the time and under 90C, thanks.

If you want to eek out a couple frames or a few hundred in Cinebench? I guess it's worth that... dunno, never saw massive gains from the work involved.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So you are doing direct die cooling? They sell shims for that so you don't accidentally crush your die?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Ihmemies posted:

So you are doing direct die cooling? They sell shims for that so you don't accidentally crush your die?

Indeed. There is a guard around the chip from RockItCool: https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/collections/9th-gen-cpu/products/9th-gen-direct-to-die-frame-kit-complete

I did it myself and it wasn't difficult but made a mess.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

jink posted:

Indeed. There is a guard around the chip from RockItCool: https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/collections/9th-gen-cpu/products/9th-gen-direct-to-die-frame-kit-complete

I did it myself and it wasn't difficult but made a mess.

How much of a temperature drop did direct die cooling yield?

For reference, my 9900k is in the mid to upper 80C range running prime95 AVX on all 16 threads, monitoring apps report roughly ~195w CPU power. The only time I fiddled with overclocking I had the chip at 5.0 all core, but the motherboard automatically fed it some insane voltage under LLC (1.4 ish) which caused it to throttle at 99C/~220w even without AVX and I immediately returned to defaults. My custom water cooler has more than enough capacity to handle the heat, with the CPU and GPU combined it easily dissipates 400w, the problem is the die and IHS are so thick I simply couldn't get the heat out of the CPU and into the coolant fast enough. The die, solder, and IHS basically become insulators because its so much power in such a small space. I knew the only way I'd get any higher cooling performance would be by going direct die cooling, and while I do have a 1155 delid kit I just didn't have the will to risk it, especially because it would be just chasing a number with no significant real world benefit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I did kind of a deep dive last night about 9900K direct die cooling and found out that it's not worth doing unless you use liquid metal after-the-fact because even if the indium solder Intel uses isn't the best, it's still better than even the best paste, and if you really want to get optimal results you need to lap the die and that's just a whole lotta *nope* from me since a fuckup means a $369 plus tax trip to Micro Center.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I did kind of a deep dive last night about 9900K direct die cooling and found out that it's not worth doing unless you use liquid metal after-the-fact because even if the indium solder Intel uses isn't the best, it's still better than even the best paste, and if you really want to get optimal results you need to lap the die and that's just a whole lotta *nope* from me since a fuckup means a $369 plus tax trip to Micro Center.

What about just lapping the heatspreader. Safe and no downsides right?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

How much of a temperature drop did direct die cooling yield?

For reference, my 9900k is in the mid to upper 80C range running prime95 AVX on all 16 threads, monitoring apps report roughly ~195w CPU power. The only time I fiddled with overclocking I had the chip at 5.0 all core, but the motherboard automatically fed it some insane voltage under LLC (1.4 ish) which caused it to throttle at 99C/~220w even without AVX and I immediately returned to defaults. My custom water cooler has more than enough capacity to handle the heat, with the CPU and GPU combined it easily dissipates 400w, the problem is the die and IHS are so thick I simply couldn't get the heat out of the CPU and into the coolant fast enough. The die, solder, and IHS basically become insulators because its so much power in such a small space. I knew the only way I'd get any higher cooling performance would be by going direct die cooling, and while I do have a 1155 delid kit I just didn't have the will to risk it, especially because it would be just chasing a number with no significant real world benefit.

Did you try 1 step down on LLC?

9600k 5.0ghz crew dont have these problems thankfully. Cinebench is like 70-73 max for me after 10 mins.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least intel CPU's are available. So mishaps are not that big of a deal since you can actually just go and buy a new one...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

On the subject of SME, SIMD and more importantly vectors, it seems RISC-V vector extensions could be the new hotness?

EDIT: And in more processor news, EU is doing their own thing.
And guess who's not signed onto that list? :denmark: orz

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 10, 2021

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

On the subject of SME, SIMD and more importantly vectors, it seems RISC-V vector extensions could be the new hotness?

The author of article addresses the 'can only pass vector arguments via RAM' criticism, but fails to understand the problem and his suggested solution (a pointer to RAM) shows he failed to understand the basic issue. He seems happy to hype, and generate some clicks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

EDIT: And in more processor news, EU is doing their own thing.
And guess who's not signed onto that list? :denmark: orz

unlocking the power of 220 VOLTS! :science:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/10nm-creative-improvements-expand-intel-manufacturing-capacity/
Here's a neat video from a few weeks ago, announcing that Intel has doubled their manufacturing capacity in the last 3 years in creative ways, like shrinking the gown room sizes and starting wafers upstream before the downstream tools that will need to process those are even installed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think were gonna see a lot of funky PCIe configurations coming on these Z590 boards. Gigabytes press release says:

quote:

Z590 AORUS motherboards equip up to three PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots with direct connection to the CPU for the highest bandwidth possible

But the CPU only has 20 lanes... so I imagine this is a bifurcation situation. Wonder if it will just automatically kick to 8x-4x-4x-4x, or if the user can specify the distribution.

I bet we also see some boards that hang those 2nd/3rd/(4th?) M2 slots off of the PCH with its doubled DMI bandwidth. Motherboards are turning into a cluster.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Having to explain how the PCH lane routing worked and how you needed to program your soft straps way back in the day was a huge pain the butt that I'm glad I'll never have to do again

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cygni posted:

But the CPU only has 20 lanes... so I imagine this is a bifurcation situation. Wonder if it will just automatically kick to 8x-4x-4x-4x, or if the user can specify the distribution.

Other sources are saying 2x PCIe 4 + 1x PCIe 3. But yeah, if you want more than 1x PCIe 4 direct to the CPU you either have to chop the GPU lanes down to 8, use a multiplexer chip, or bifurcate that 4x down further. It'd be kinda hilarious to see a 16x-GPU + 1x-NVMe + 1x-NVMEe + 1x-NVMe setup, in which case a RAID0 across all three would end up with less aggregate bandwidth than a single decent PCIe 4 4x NVMe drive.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pack it in amdailures

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
cool warez logo from 2000

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

it better have a sick midi soundtrack or i will be pissed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

so intel's presentation was as expected. 8 core Tiger Lake H for mobile, some 4 core Tiger Lakes with a higher TDP, Ice Lake Xeon still not ready for wide launch, limited (6c and 8c only) Rocket Lake launch for desktop, a poo poo ton of vPro and education stuff for most people to never think about, and Alder Lake still 2nd half of this year.

also hon hon hon:

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1348744941585932288

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pcie slots?!!!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

Pcie slots?!!!

there only being two RAM slots suggests it's one of those boards intended solely for pro overclockers to set records on

those guys only need two pci-e slots to run their twin 3090s

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16388/intel-launches-jasper-lake-tremont-atom-cores-for-all

10nm Tremont Atom is finally here. Any idea if these will give a better experience on Chromebooks than old Skylake Celerons?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

there only being two RAM slots suggests it's one of those boards intended solely for pro overclockers to set records on

those guys only need two pci-e slots to run their twin 3090s

Totally right. Duh.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cygni posted:

it better have a sick midi soundtrack or i will be pissed

It's all about those sweet tracker beats

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 11, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

redeyes posted:

Pcie slots?!!!

TBQH, now that boards are coming with 2 or more NVMe slots, decent quality built-in sound cards, wi-fi cards, and so on, I'm really struggling to find much of a need for more than 2 slots in most cases (GPU + high-speed NIC).

With the size of Ampere cards it's not like you can use more than two of them anyhow (and even then...).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

canyoneer posted:

unlocking the power of 230 VOLTS! :science:
Fixed. :engleft:

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16388/intel-launches-jasper-lake-tremont-atom-cores-for-all

10nm Tremont Atom is finally here. Any idea if these will give a better experience on Chromebooks than old Skylake Celerons?
Isn't this the thing the Denverton replacement is going to be built on?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

It must be the "dark" edition because it has only one garish backlit RGB logo on it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the right angle edge power connections. Also sff-8644 connector!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

I like the right angle edge power connections. Also sff-8644 connector!

Designs a board to be showed off in a windowed case
Adds native support for loving mini-sas cables