Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzKPfMcIvA

A very real video wrt audience expectation/demand and creative drive, courtesy of a man who stopped uploading on youtube consistently years ago and has had people hounding him about making tf2 content ever since

This contrasts really well with that Adam Ragusea video posted on the last page, where his advice seemed to be "you better enjoy being the clown people want you to be even if you hate it, because if you don't you're throwing away SUCCESS"

Ster's Basically videos were pretty great, though, I wish he'd made more of them. The ending of the most recent one on The Titan is a masterstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

treat posted:

This contrasts really well with that Adam Ragusea video posted on the last page, where his advice seemed to be "you better enjoy being the clown people want you to be even if you hate it, because if you don't you're throwing away SUCCESS"

The one about how the Cherry Pie Guy resented being the Cherry Pie Guy, which may have played a role in his eventual suicide? I think his point is more that you never know when notoriety will be permanently branded to you and haunt you to your dying days, so you better be ready to deal with that. That might also be tied into that other video he did recently about how Music Twitter still harasses him every year when a half-baked Vox interview he did resurfaces on social media each Christmas season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxUnwsttr_8

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

treat posted:

Uh, that's not at all what I got from the Ragusea video? His point was that if you put yourself out there in the public sphere as a creator you have to acknowledge that anything you create - regardless of the effort put in or your own personal feelings towards it - could randomly be latched onto by the public and forever define you as a creator. You don't nessecarily have to be happy about it, but obsessing over it is a recipe for driving yourself mad.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh, okay. My bad. I probably wasn't paying enough attention, I'll admit that. I have a hard time focusing on what he's saying over the volume of his unbearable yuppie smugness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

treat posted:

Oh, okay. My bad. I probably wasn't paying enough attention, I'll admit that. I have a hard time focusing on what he's saying over the volume of his unbearable yuppie smugness.
why are you being weird

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Adam is obviously a yuppie bougie because of W H I T E W I N E

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Found this channel called Techmoan that talks about old tech, mostly audio or video stuff. For a weirdo like me who collects anime laserdiscs and 8CM cd's, this stuff is really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEISYaWgCRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmWS1ER-z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8568_3amO4

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

treat posted:

Ster's Basically videos were pretty great, though, I wish he'd made more of them. The ending of the most recent one on The Titan is a masterstroke.

treat posted:

weird posts dude!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Personally, I consider myself in a constant state of war against all youtubers until I know whether or not they correctly cook steak.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Brian David Gilbert's first act after being unchanged from Polygon is to make a 20 minute video about his hair. I'm assuming it unhinges entirely by the mid-point, but to who knows with this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkPNOD2wlp8

At one point I just started yelling NO at my screen.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzKPfMcIvA

A very real video wrt audience expectation/demand and creative drive, courtesy of a man who stopped uploading on youtube consistently years ago and has had people hounding him about making tf2 content ever since

even as someone who never watched his content, this is a stark reminder of what it's like on the other side of the abusive parasocial relationship. no one deserves that.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

why are you being weird

Wait, what thread do you think this is?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not the bad excuses thread

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

time to clown on bean dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOT9v06orE

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

Adam is obviously a yuppie bougie because of W H I T E W I N E

the lost beaver boy has been found...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what does John Silver and Alex Reynolds have to do with this???

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, Jenny's Patreon only Vampire Diaries video also got copyright claimed.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

muscles like this! posted:

Ugh, Jenny's Patreon only Vampire Diaries video also got copyright claimed.

Yep, and from the sound of things, it seems like they're just gonna hit her with a new claim anytime the previous claim is challenged.
I was just halfway through it too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It popped up a little too late for me to watch it last night, especially since it is 2 1/2 hours long, so I was just going to watch it today. More fool me I guess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Christ, I'm glad I missed this when it happened. "My child is hungry but my super precious wonderful super wow jigsaw puzzle was far more important than my own flesh and blood." Except he writes like a complete wanker.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

making this video after the events of last week and especially how mid/poo poo this whole thing was is just lame lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the tumblr clown girl gives me Magic Johnson's Twitter vibes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The REAL Goobusters posted:

making this video after the events of last week and especially how mid/poo poo this whole thing was is just lame lol
don't review your posts

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, I'm maybe not shocked that tumblr drama reviewer maybe was more comfortable clowning on bean dad than doing a video on serious politics

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Finally, Chocolate Rain can be heard the way it was always meant to.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Finally, Chocolate Rain can be heard the way it was always meant to.
it's the fear your leaders call control

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I feel bad when I can tell someone isn't gonna be American when they got bad teeth. We don't have universal health care but boy do we love spending lots of money on cosmetic fixes.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

For sale, tin of beans, unopened.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

i dont want to hear what youtube ppl have to say about politics ever in general

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

frankly the tribulations of the beanman were fun, an amusing experience, actual entertainment. I would rather hear about the humiliation of the beanfather right now than deal with yet more news about a pack of rabid psychopaths trying to murder senators

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm not saying do a video on politics. I'm saying this could've been an easy skippable thing and just not make a video. But whatever I guess doesn't really matter its just nitpicking.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It does feel pretty rough for youtubers when something like beandad feels old in a week.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Being a channel that covers politics at all must be...difficult for the past week four years.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Being a channel that covers politics at all must be...difficult for the past week four years.

For streamers like Hasan Piker its been amazing for his channel growth on Twitch. He's been putting work on the youtube with the editors he hired as well.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Bean Dad was a really disapointing for me as it happened a week after I got into his war movie podcast.

I kinda feel people overeacted a tad with the accusations of child abuse and its not really cool that people dug into his post history to cancel the guy over that, but I'm glad that poo poo got aired out so I guess a good thing happened for a deeply stupid reason.

The actual Bean Dad post were laser presision insufferable, just an incrediblly tale smug tale of doing something completely inane and cruel presented like he was being the dad of year. Very frustrating to watch the guy implode so completely after that for me though, I like the War movie podcast's other 2 hosts a lot and I'd prefer to continue to listen them talk about interesting movies with historical context and poo poo than listen to the Star Trek podcast they do without Bean Dad. Really ruined the meltdown for me.

Very funny how quickly the Mcelroys dropped his themesong from their podcast though lol. Its been a huge part of their branding for years but I don't think it'll be missed that much.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Bean Dad was a really disapointing for me as it happened a week after I got into his war movie podcast.

I kinda feel people overeacted a tad with the accusations of child abuse and its not really cool that people dug into his post history to cancel the guy over that, but I'm glad that poo poo got aired out so I guess a good thing happened for a deeply stupid reason.

The actual Bean Dad post were laser presision insufferable, just an incrediblly tale smug tale of doing something completely inane and cruel presented like he was being the dad of year. Very frustrating to watch the guy implode so completely after that for me though, I like the War movie podcast's other 2 hosts a lot and I'd prefer to continue to listen them talk about interesting movies with historical context and poo poo than listen to the Star Trek podcast they do without Bean Dad. Really ruined the meltdown for me.

Very funny how quickly the Mcelroys dropped his themesong from their podcast though lol. Its been a huge part of their branding for years but I don't think it'll be missed that much.

Had to stop following a couple people after they made posts saying the Bean dad was abusive. One person likened the can opener story to their mom telling them about the latin or greek roots of words when they were 10 was somehow abusive. Really harrowing stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jenny’s Vampire Diaries went back up for a while at least. If anyone gets the chance I would definitely recommend it. It is two and a half hours of the best kind of nonsense.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

muscles like this! posted:

At one point I just started yelling NO at my screen.
Mullet Brian with the rat tail gave big Guybrush Threepwood vibes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone remember a video on cosmetics and lootboxes and all that poo poo? I faintly remember that one of the main points was something like 'Cosmetics aren't non-essential, if they didn't matter, they wouldn't be asking you to pay for them.'

AngryBooch posted:

Had to stop following a couple people after they made posts saying the Bean dad was abusive. One person likened the can opener story to their mom telling them about the latin or greek roots of words when they were 10 was somehow abusive. Really harrowing stuff.

Minor detail that no one's really aware about.

chitoryu12 posted:

Even worse.

https://twitter.com/johnroderick/status/1345508389690884096?s=21

His daughter probably has a legit disability with spatial reasoning that he’s refusing to help.

Sadly the tweet's deleted so there goes the full context as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Really the most mind-blowing thing about it was that he apparently kept doubling down on the day of, although most of those tweets are gone too.

Like, his apology does lightly go into how he told it in an intentionally obnoxious way and that he left out the supposed fun that they had during it. Although hearing that it did pretty much happen that way (just with more laughing and a snack) is still kind of surprising and stupid. But, I don't understand why someone in that position doesn't immediately throw out a quick "Oops, this was a joke that only my fans and followers would get. Obviously, I was exaggerating and mocking the whole subgenre of dumb boomer parenting and woke toddler tweets. It didn't really happen this way. It was a bad joke. I understand and I'm sorry if I upset it anyone." Pin it, nuke your old tweets and turn off notifications for a few days.

But, no, gotta double down.

I'm also starting to feel a little cursed. Like Phillby, I went through and added a bunch of the old Friendly Fire podcasts to my library about a day or so before Bean Dad. Not that long ago, I started lining up Cryaotic streams to watch about a day before he came out with his "oh, whoops I kind of groomed some underage fans" message. I also idly started to watch the daily highlights from FunHaus right before they had their little scandal. Woolie's Paper Mario playthrough has been on my watchlist for a bit so hopefully it's chosen to pass that channel over at least.