Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How do y’all organize your *work* emails?

Project?
Sender?
Work Groups?

Edited: clarified this is strictly for professional work emails!

When I actually do organize them...

[Client number] Client name, then subfolders for every matter that I'm working on

But in general it's red category for to-do items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ZuluDashOne posted:

Well I now have good notes on what to do when some Dr tells me its time to investigate my colon.

That or never set the appointment :colbert:
I think the lesson is to bring cheese and smokes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Project?
Sender?
Work Groups?

I have a separate folder where all emails from automated systems go to (with a few exceptions), and another folder where all messages where I'm CC'd go to. Everything else goes to my regular Inbox, and if something looks like it might be useful later (good bits of information, not ongoing projects) I save it to my Useful Stuff folder.

I generally keep my work inbox pretty trim, only ever about 25-30 emails at a given time and all read. I think people who have 100+ unread emails at any given time or whatever are either insane or being abused by their employer.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
probably a placeholder but uhhh

https://www.state.gov/biographies/donald-j-trump/

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

um

https://www.state.gov/biographies/donald-j-trump/

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm seeing a bunch of people posting screenshots on that and the time is different on every single one, in the minutes column, it's at 19:XX:XX in every one, so it's not a timezone thing.

It's different on mine, but also not close to the minute mark.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone almost certainly hosed up.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Project?
Sender?
Work Groups?

Always by project

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone almost certainly hosed up.

yeah some poor web dev is gonna take the fall on this one lol

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Project?
Sender?
Work Groups?

Used to do it by project and keep zero inbox pretty well in previous jobs, but I can't keep up with that in the job I have now. I have a few folders associated with some rules I just setup last week. I made one folder for anything flagged as external (I absolutely never interact with anyone outside our company), and one for each of the half dozen systems I interact with and get automated emails from. Other than that I just have "admin", which is anything related to my performance, compensation, or expenses; then a catch-all folder named "everything else".

I have started to use the flags for things that need followed up on, and the search function anytime I want to find an old email. Hopefully the rules I setup will help move me back toward zero inbox, which would get me away from the flags. Last week I went from 2,000 items in my inbox to ~450, but that's back up to over 500 already :sigh:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

If we also get an antitrust breakup of AWS :discourse:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ehud posted:

yeah some poor web dev is gonna take the fall on this one lol

It was the Parler dev

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1348725601335717889

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Project?
Sender?
Work Groups?

I'm the rear end in a top hat so select all > mark as read

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I also had a big file marked HR subdivided by staff name or member name for any communications that could remotely be needed to reference for any HR reasons

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm a sicko who doesn't organize work emails, I just keep them all in my inbox and use the search a lot to find what I need.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mississippi got a new flag

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1348733698208903173?s=19

What the gently caress

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

seiferguy posted:

I'm a sicko who doesn't organize work emails, I just keep them all in my inbox and use the search a lot to find what I need.

Same.

Let chaos rule.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

That’s actually a pretty good flag IMO.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Castro regime? Is he going to lay into Venezuela's Chavez regime too?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

shirts and skins posted:

It's still a Castro, just not Fidel.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

shirts and skins posted:

Isn’t his brother still their head of state?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Haha, I genuinely forgot about Raul. This is all entrenchment to gently caress with Biden, right?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Pompeo has been on a tweeting spree Friday and today that is basically him putting out his resume. Seems like he's gunning for 2024?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

Yea, I'm pretty bad about it. Maybe once a month I'll go through and organize by project, but generally I just search for what I need, or sort by sender and hunt through the email.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

shirts and skins posted:

Haha, I genuinely forgot about Raul. This is all entrenchment to gently caress with Biden, right?

For sure, and it will also cement Florida for Republicans for a while because it will force the Dems to react.

Catching up on Pirate LeBatard and he mentioned that Biden's camp wanted him to moderate a discussion between Biden and Latin leaders in Florida but of course Disney quashed it. Really would have been interesting to see how that would have turned out and how much effect it would have had.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kalli posted:

I like the design but I'm sad they didn't go with this motto

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Ok, I get sometimes ads put deliberately eye-catching stuff solely for clickbait and all, but I’m still not thrilled with what the algorithm is putting out there for me

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Thaddius the Large posted:

Ok, I get sometimes ads put deliberately eye-catching stuff solely for clickbait and all, but I’m still not thrilled with what the algorithm is putting out there for me

Man they totally erased your status as an otter.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Important update: I added a second monitor to my home workstation. The laptop can't handle its own screen, a 1440, and a 1080, so it down-rezes to 1200x1600 or some poo poo. When I launched Spotify on that monitor today it didn't do the monitor shutdown, which is maybe the first time since March it hasn't even flickered. TBD if it's related or a fluke.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Important update: I added a second monitor to my home workstation. The laptop can't handle its own screen, a 1440, and a 1080, so it down-rezes to 1200x1600 or some poo poo. When I launched Spotify on that monitor today it didn't do the monitor shutdown, which is maybe the first time since March it hasn't even flickered. TBD if it's related or a fluke.

I really wish I could do my work stuff on my personal computer. So much more screen space and power for writing/testing my code fixes.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Simply spend a large amount of money on an overpowered desktop like I did to run a 32" and two 24" 1440p monitors at once.

What was the original issue you were having? I'm trying to recall and all I remember is it is Spotify related

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Police now Kink Shaming people.

https://twitter.com/KellyGreig/status/1348707791343669254?s=19

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Samadhi posted:

Simply spend a large amount of money on an overpowered desktop like I did to run a 32" and two 24" 1440p monitors at once.

What was the original issue you were having? I'm trying to recall and all I remember is it is Spotify related

Right now that's an absurdly expensive task.

A buddy just had his video card eat poo poo, and holy gently caress at pricing. I paid like 410 for my 5700xt back in March and the same card is 900 right now.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

iwentdoodie posted:

Right now that's an absurdly expensive task.

A buddy just had his video card eat poo poo, and holy gently caress at pricing. I paid like 410 for my 5700xt back in March and the same card is 900 right now.

Yeah, part of me is sad I bought a 2080 super like a month before the 3000 series dropped but part of me is like wow good job cause :stare: at GPU prices currently.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Did a head snap double-take on that one, good lord

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Samadhi posted:

Work laptop docked with my 1440p second screen: launching Spotify in my browser would cause the monitor to go black. Laptop still thought it was there, just wasn't getting the signal. I had to unplug the dock and replug it in to get the signal back to it.

RE: Overpowered desktop, the one time I plugged both monitors into my home PC lowered the refresh rate on my 1440p to like 20 Hz and wouldn't let me go any higher than that. I haven't screwed around with it too much, but that is unusable compared to the normal 165 Hz. Not planning to update from my 1080ti soon, but that was the first time I was disappointed by it.

ZuluDashOne posted:

I really wish I could do my work stuff on my personal computer. So much more screen space and power for writing/testing my code fixes.

A while ago when I was screwing around with getting this setup at the beginning of WFH, I was able to set them all (2 monitors and work laptop) to 1080p. Took that work monitor back to the office and it disappeared in the weeks between me having to go there. Finally got a replacement that I think is the same model, but for some reason even when I lower my 1440p to 1080p, it won't let me put the second one any higher than 1280x800 :(

It wouldn't be so bad, because 1280x800 is still fine for a third screen with reference documents or whatever I'm just looking at infrequently, but moving stuff across screens is a PITA when it resizes twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Company that I had been interviewing with wants me to meet the rest of the paralegal team. Most likely last interview, then if I get an offer letter I gotta make a difficult decision...