Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Why is my RPi print server taking five minutes per page? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

tuyop posted:

Crossposting from the Linux thread:

Having kind of a weird issue here with my raspberry pi 3. I run it headless as a pihole and VPN thingy, mostly. Noticed the other night that it wasn't letting me SSH in, so I pulled it off the network and now I'm booting with a monitor attached.

It boots up fine, unless it's connected to ethernet. If the ethernet cable is plugged in, it seems to complete the boot process, then gracefully turns itself off immediately. If I turn it on disconnected, wait for boot, and then plug in the ethernet, it proceeds to turn itself off. The shutdown is verbose but the log moves very fast. So much so that I had to film a slow motion video of it on my iphone to see what it was saying. What kind of keywords should I be using to track down the issue, if this is at all common?

That's really strange. Did you install a safe shutdown script to go with a case's power button or something?

If there was something wacky going on with the network stack / dhclient I'd expect it to hang, not gracefully do a full shutdown.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I need some mounting help with my rpi. I'm building something inside this "aluminum case" (in scare quotes because it's just a fiberboard). Though either way, I don't want to drill from outside the case into the inside to install anything, because that would disrupt the look.

What I'm thinking is get a small piece of thin plywood and drill into that and install some threaded risers, glue that sucker to the inside of the case, and use the risers to attach the pi too. I've also got access to a 3d printer, and I've found at least one Pi mounting bracket that I could print and glue into the case, then screw into the plate directly.

I'd like to be able to take the pi out of this device if needed so I don't just want to glue the thing to the case directly, but it's not something that I'm going to be taking in and out repeatedly.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lazyhound posted:

Why is my RPi print server taking five minutes per page? :cripes:

Shot in the dark here: you're printing from SumatraPDF, which is utter poo poo at printing for some reason.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Xaris posted:

This is sort of a blended question as an utter loving moron about this poo poo that I'm not sure best place to ask.

I've got an OG Steam Link that I bought a long time and basically immediately dumped into storage never to see the light of day (story of every steam link ever made), but I have recently wanted to start couch-gaming streaming more to my TV from my PC, and I'd like to start also doing retro-couch gaming again with my s/o so I'd like to have an easy turn on -> click game -> play option to do retrogaming. Ideally both in a very simple easy to use interface

OG Steam Link is not great, I was able to get Moonlight running on it but it was super super laggy for some reason. Plus even though I can run Retroarch on my PC and steam it over Moonlight to the TV, that basically also hogs up my computer so I'd need something I could run Retroarch locally while keeping my PC free. Apparently SL can also run Retroarch natively but it's an old version (1.7.7) + download is broken, and I'm not sure even sure if it's powerful enough for N64/PSX1 stuff -- I'd have to imagine a RPI4B is still way more powerful than an OG Steam Link right?

Is an RPI4B + Moonlight going to be better than using Steam Link hardware? I presume it's easy to install Moonlight in conjunction with RetroPi, like having it show up alongside RetroArch options right (NES | SNES | N64 | PC/Moonlight sort of thing)?

What's the state of emulation on RP4B with RetroPie/arch? It looks like PS1 and Dreamcast are no problem and N64 works fine. But is it good enough to run any sort of emu upscaling mods like trying to do Majoras Mask in 1080/1440P? I very much doubt 4k would work but can it do anything higher than original resolution?

Or should I just go for an Nvidia Shield route? It also seems like it can run RetroArch. I'm not sure if that's going to be more powerful but I'd figure cost-wise by the time I get all the parts/cases/cards/doodads it'd be pretty similar in cost.

Like someone else said, the official Steam Link app works great with a few caveats:

1. Use VirtualHere for controllers instead of allowing SteamLink to map stuff. I had tons of issues getting xbox elite controllers to work using a driver someone wrote, and even once I did the joystick curve mappings were irreparably hosed. However, VirtualHere works insanely well and I can't recommend it highly enough. You'll lose access the the steam overlay in steamlink-optimized games (I think it looks for a controller mapped by steam link, finds none, and then doesn't seem to allow opening the overlay even via the keyboard), but that's not a huge loss.

2. At least in Raspbian, you need to find a way to disable the a bunch of keys to make a windows remote session work well. I managed to disable the Windows key (by removing Raspbian's start menu lol), but I couldn't quite figure out how to disable the rest (alt tab, ctrl-alt-delete, most anything involving function keys). You can't actually alt tab out of Steamlink, the app stays full screen--but if you accidentally hit alt tab you'll lose control lol. I know it involves messing with the lxde config, but the built in tool for configuring stuff is broken, and the config files are messed up in a way that I cant find documented anywy, so I set that aside for now.

That said, if anyone has successfully configured lxde hotkeys in a recent-ish version of Raspbian, please lmk.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

doctorfrog posted:

Shot in the dark here: you're printing from SumatraPDF, which is utter poo poo at printing for some reason.

No, I’m printing from an iPad via AirPrint.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

That's really strange. Did you install a safe shutdown script to go with a case's power button or something?

If there was something wacky going on with the network stack / dhclient I'd expect it to hang, not gracefully do a full shutdown.

Yeah, it's extremely odd. It reproduced in an RPi 2 I tested so it's maybe not hardware. I noticed that eth0 is reading an ipv6 address as well without anything plugged in and disabled ipv6 using this guide. No luck so I'll give a fresh SD with a new OS a go.

Edit: Huh, turns out that it's the UPS monitoring program, nut, causing this. I got through a dietpi install, which was extremely cool and I think I'll stick with it, but when I got to installing nut (no systemd in dietpi, eh?) and copying my configs over, it caused the same problem! Removing nut, nut-client, and nut-server resolves the reboot on ethernet problem.

I just don't know what to do to track this down. Why did it happen all of a sudden? That nut config has been fine for two years now. Do I even need it with dietpi?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 5, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The SPDIF hat I ordered last month finally came in and it sounds perfect coming out of my receiver now. While I was waiting I got into radio stuff with an SDR someone gave me to experiment with and I'm wondering how much stuff is too much to be running at the same time on one Pi. When connecting to the Spyserver that's running on the Pi, SDR# is a lot more glitchy than when it's direct to my laptop. One possibility is that I need a powered USB hub for it, but the way Spyserver compresses the data before sending it out might be doing a number on the CPU.

I could always do my radio stuff in a virtual machine on my NAS, but I've read that SDR devices don't always play nice with being passed through to a VM. I'm right by an international airport so I want to see what kind of ADS-B signals I can pick up and track.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How feasible is making a four disk, raid 0, NAS device that transcodes h265 4k media over PLEX?

Was looking at getting some giganto hard drives (four) and setting up a mini server that could stream these to my 4k Amazon Fire stick.

Mostly, because $300+ for synology is too much, but I don't know if this is feasible.

Seems that Pi 4 supports 4k h265 videos, but not h264, which is fine.

I've also heard some good things about a PiHole, idk if it could multitask and do that too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenBuckanneer posted:

transcodes h265 4k media over PLEX?

Seems that Pi 4 supports 4k h265 videos, but not h264, which is fine.

The pi only has acceleration for decode, not encode. So it is completely useless for that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Klyith posted:

The pi only has acceleration for decode, not encode. So it is completely useless for that.

Well since it'd be 4k h265 to a 4k h265 compatible stick, it shouldn't technically have to transcode anything, it would just be a direct stream.

Curious if anyone here has done that kind of a setup.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well since it'd be 4k h265 to a 4k h265 compatible stick, it shouldn't technically have to transcode anything, it would just be a direct stream.

In that case the Pi would work fine, the h264/h265 support on the pi itself is totally irrelevant because it's not transcoding anything, just serving files.

As a cheap NAS, the pi 4 is capable (as opposed to the pi 3 which sucked) but still has a couple weaknesses compared to a real NAS box. It doesn't have stellar disk performance over USB3, but it keeps up fine with the gigabit ethernet so for your purposes that's fine. A raid 0 set is entirely pointless though; the Pi's USB3 gets ~300-350 MB/s bandwidth with is comparable to a single modern HDD.

And also there's the Pi's other big weakness compared to a real NAS: the reliance on an unreliable sdcard for the OS. Recreating a soft raid array in linux is possible if you saved your config info, but IMO this is a big reason not to use raid 0 or any more complex storage type for a Pi NAS. Stick with basic raid 1 or JBOD.

VVVV edit: yes that'd be far more ideal, but not something with 1-2-3 easy instructions for someone who doesn't know linux

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 10, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

And also there's the Pi's other big weakness compared to a real NAS: the reliance on an unreliable sdcard for the OS. Recreating a soft raid array in linux is possible if you saved your config info, but IMO this is a big reason not to use raid 0 or any more complex storage type for a Pi NAS. Stick with basic raid 1 or JBOD.

For something like this, wouldn’t you want just have a read-only boot trampoline on the sdcard and then run your real root off the hard drives?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Raid 1 is considerably more expensive, especially since I don't really need a local backup in this situation. I'd also be using the pi nas to "store" photography raws, and the ones I'd want to keep would get uploaded to the cloud.

Thanks for the writeup though, seems like it would be an interesting project.

brains
May 12, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

For something like this, wouldn’t you want just have a read-only boot trampoline on the sdcard and then run your real root off the hard drives?

when i was using a pi as a JBOD file server, this is what i did. nothing but bootcode.bin on the SD card, and the pi then booted into a usb thumbdrive with the actual OS install. not as stable as a hard drive, but leagues ahead of just relying on an SD card and a dirt cheap solution. if i was still using it for something important these days i think i'd PXE boot it, though.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Curious if anyone here has done that kind of a setup.

I tried it for awhile, and Plex is just too eager to want to transcode things IMO. If you want a low-power setup, look for one of the mini-PCs on Amazon for ~ $150. They are usually 8-12W from the wall, and have x86_64 Intel CPUs with the hardware video encoder on them.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The SD card being unreliable for the root fs doesn't make much difference, nothing important is stored on there, only the operating system.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does anybody have experience running the OS off a SATA m.2 stick? I've been looking at the Argon One case for my emulator box, and I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make if I were running Lakka or RetroPie off one of those instead of the SD card.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How good is a PI at replacing a router? Can you get a wifi going? I read some tepid response to it

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
It would not make a good router. Pre-4 Pis would be awful, because everything, including the onboard Ethernet and whatever other Ethernet or WiFi adapter you use, basically runs off a single bandwidth-starved USB port. A Pi 4 could work as a router if you already had all the parts handy, but it'd quickly end up more expensive, much more fiddly, and mostly less capable than a cheap dedicated router like an Archer C6 if you're buying most of the parts.

What are you trying to do?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The correct solution for a 4 disk nas is something like a synology ds418. Yeah they are $370 but once you factor in power supply, boot disk, case, drive enclosure + power supply etc, not to mention real warranty yeah I guess you can do it with the pi for cheaper but the savings isn't a whole lot and the feature set is equivalent

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Could be cheaper only if you already have some hardware lying around

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hadlock posted:

The correct solution for a 4 disk nas is something like a synology ds418. Yeah they are $370 but once you factor in power supply, boot disk, case, drive enclosure + power supply etc, not to mention real warranty yeah I guess you can do it with the pi for cheaper but the savings isn't a whole lot and the feature set is equivalent

That model nas is $600 for me new.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

That model nas is $600 for me new.

Is this an import tax thing

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you want to make a super-cheap NAS and are ok doing all the work yourself, cheap used / refurb business desktops aren't a whole lot more money than a Pi4 plus 4 USB 3 HD enclosures. A decade-old cheapo CPU isn't gonna be up to plex transcoding, but neither is the Pi4.

Hadlock posted:

The current model is the ds420, so maybe in their area the ds418 is out of normal stock?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Its an Australia thing. $400USD = $520AUD right now, and then pretty much everyone slaps on an extra fee because its australia and they can.

Even digitally delivered poo poo gets it. Steam got taken to court over it iirc.

Klyith posted:

The current model is the ds420, so maybe in their area the ds418 is out of normal stock?

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/641900/Synology-DiskStation-DS420-Celeron-2GB-4-Bay-NAS-Enclosure

They arent the cheapest around, but they are close.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

What are you trying to do?

Mostly set something up that is either too expensive to get normally, and program it to do myself with minimal effort, but it seems like it isn't really suited to that. It'd need to be something practical so I guess I'll get one for the PiHole factor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm making an image of a pi's SD card so I can write it to...something that isn't an SD card. Win32 Disk Imager tells me runtime so far is 1:80:32. This is fine.

Edit: gah, after 1:99:59 it rolled over to 2:00:00, but now it's at 1:112:40.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 14, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So apparently starting with the pi.... 2? 3? Probably 3 it's possible to boot the pi from USB

How does this impact the pre-4 pi as a functional file server? I believe most of the bottleneck lies with the network sitting on the usb bus, but I think the sd card had some negative consequences as well

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For the Pi 2, I think you have to run a config file that burns a fuse or something that enables booting from USB.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So apparently starting with the pi.... 2? 3? Probably 3 it's possible to boot the pi from USB

How does this impact the pre-4 pi as a functional file server? I believe most of the bottleneck lies with the network sitting on the usb bus, but I think the sd card had some negative consequences as well
SD card is was not a bottleneck for performance. But many writes to the wrong SD cards led to corruption of the cards. For that reason I have been running Raspbian from an USB hdd since pi1.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I have never ever dabbled in raspberry pi. I don't really even know much about it other than its a tiny small form computer.

All I want is a raspberry pi to act as a wireless hub for USB peripherals that will then send the inputs over the local netwrok via the software Virtual Here to my main computer. Is this something that is doable with a raspberry pi, and if so what model is best for such an application?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much any of them, I would suggest a Zero W or a Pi 4 with 1gb

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

xtal posted:

Pretty much any of them, I would suggest a Zero W or a Pi 4 with 1gb

Thank you, are there any tutorials out there for getting something like this setup or for intializing the system for the first time. I literally don't know anything, like how to even access the machine. I have worked with linux systems before via virtualbox or other vmwares, but never a dedicated and isolated piece of hardware like this.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 18, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Skyarb posted:

Thank you, are there any tutorials out there for getting something like this setup or for intializing the system for the first time. I literally don't know anything, like how to even access the machine. I have worked with linux systems before via virtualbox or other vmwares, but never a dedicated and isolated piece of hardware like this.

edit: There doesn't seem to be a 1gb model, you mean 2gb then right?

1gb isn't widely available anymore, the 2gb is fine.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
There also isn't a checkbox on installation that says "[ ] Make this machine a wireless USB hub" so you're going to have to do all that from scratch.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

insta posted:

There also isn't a checkbox on installation that says "[ ] Make this machine a wireless USB hub" so you're going to have to do all that from scratch.

Yeah I'm aware which is why I was hoping for a good babies first pi tutorial

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you need a tutorial for how to connect to a linux machine, this project might be out of your wheelhouse.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Skyarb posted:

Yeah I'm aware which is why I was hoping for a good babies first pi tutorial

You're going to need Balena Etcher and an 8gb+ SD card, and an SD card reader. This is in addition to the Pi hardware (the device, a power supply that does at least 15W for the latest RPi, a keyboard+mouse and a monitor with HDMI and a cable with mini-hdmi on one end. Descriptions of each are here: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up/1

1. Download Raspbian or Raspbian Lite (command line interface only): https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

2. Insert your SD card into your computer and start Balena Etcher. Select the card from the prompt, then select the downloaded OS file from 1.

3. Once this is complete, plug in all your peripherals and THEN start the RPi by inserting the power plug.

4. This will boot the pi, if you downloaded Raspbian (non-lite), you'll see a splash screen and be able to login.

Default credentials are username: pi and password: raspberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

tuyop posted:

You're going to need Balena Etcher and an 8gb+ SD card, and an SD card reader. This is in addition to the Pi hardware (the device, a power supply that does at least 15W for the latest RPi, a keyboard+mouse and a monitor with HDMI and a cable with mini-hdmi on one end. Descriptions of each are here: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up/1

1. Download Raspbian or Raspbian Lite (command line interface only): https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

2. Insert your SD card into your computer and start Balena Etcher. Select the card from the prompt, then select the downloaded OS file from 1.

3. Once this is complete, plug in all your peripherals and THEN start the RPi by inserting the power plug.

4. This will boot the pi, if you downloaded Raspbian (non-lite), you'll see a splash screen and be able to login.

Default credentials are username: pi and password: raspberry

Thanks for actually being helpful and not just a condescending gate keeping dick like the poster above!