Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If it's unsafe fair enough, but just being not ground floor should not be reason enough to not deliver to the actual home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We are enemies now.

I'm sorry (I know you're kidding but I do feel bad for being part of the problem)

Working there destroyed me mentally, insurers are cunts, and I'm glad I'm out. I'm posting this stuff because I don't want anyone here to get caught out by insurers' lovely tricks.

Also, complain. Complain about anything that even slightly inconveniences you. Don't be a Karen, don't take it out on some poor abused call centre worker, but make it clear that you want to make a complaint whenever you're not happy, and escalate that poo poo as far as it will go. Complaints handlers, more than anything, dislike dealing with people who yell and have no idea what they want to resolve the complaint. So do everything you can to stay as calm as possible and go in with an idea of what would be a good outcome for you.

If they don't deal with your complaint then you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service . Insurers hate the ombudsman service, and every complaint that is escalated to them costs the insurer around £400. This is how the FOS is funded, so when an insurer tries to lowball you with a compensation offer, bear that in mind. A lot of insurers' worst behaviours are altered by repeatedly losing cases with the ombudsman, so by doing this you might be making things better at a level that helps a lot of people.

My PMs are open if anyone ever needs advice with this stuff.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 11, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tarnop posted:

I'm sorry (I know you're kidding but I do feel bad for being part of the problem)

Working there destroyed me mentally, insurers are cunts, and I'm glad I'm out. I'm posting this stuff because I don't want anyone here to get caught out by insurers' lovely tricks.

Also, complain. Complain about anything that even slightly inconveniences you. Don't be a Karen, don't take it out on some poor abused call centre worker, but make it clear that you want to make a complaint whenever you're not happy, and escalate that poo poo as far as it will go. Complaints handlers, more than anything, dislike dealing with people who yell and have no idea what they want to resolve the complaint. So do everything you can to stay as calm as possible and go in with an idea of what would be a good outcome for you.

If they don't deal with your complaint then you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service . Insurers hate the ombudsman service, and every complaint that is escalated to them costs the insurer around £400. This is how the FOS is funded, so when an insurer tries to lowball you with a compensation offer, bear that in mind. A lot of insurers' worst behaviours are altered by repeatedly losing cases with the ombudsman, so by doing this you might be making things better at a level that helps a lot of people.

My PMs are open if anyone ever needs advice with this stuff.

It's £650 now. :ssh:

Do not under any circumstances quote that to your insurer and ask them for £600 to avoid it going to them though. You'll look like a loving prick and will be laughed away.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

Do not under any circumstances quote that to your insurer and ask them for £600 to avoid it going to them though. You'll look like a loving prick and will be laughed away.

Yeah, don't do that. They'll have to refuse you, because otherwise they risk falling foul of Treating Customers Fairly because they're providing different outcomes to customers not based on their situation.

Source - running complaints, working in risk for insurance companies.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EvilHawk posted:

There's not really a lot of room for you to game the system (outside of fraud). You can't exactly change where you live. That being said, when I worked in customer service we would try and lower the premiums - the big one (and I'm not sure if this is true) is to put your mileage at 4,000 per year rather than 3,000. This seems paradoxical (surely if you drive less you're less of a risk) but a year or so before someone somewhere had said "put it at 3,000 it'll be cheaper!" so loads of people did and then... had accidents. So the underwriters saw this and said, clearly, if you're driving 3,000 miles you're more a risk and put that above 4,000. Mileage is one of the few areas you can game.
Last time we looked up car insurance I was very surprised that fully comprehensive was often cheaper than third party, presumably because of a similar paradoxical situation.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

stev posted:

Yeah, should have included this in my post. If you let on that you know, insurers will eat the cost just so that you gently caress off and don't post "one weird trick" on every forum you can find. Just know that when they offer you a £25 voucher with one of their preferred suppliers, they can do much better

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

TACD posted:

Last time we looked up car insurance I was very surprised that fully comprehensive was often cheaper than third party, presumably because of a similar paradoxical situation.

Yep, I used to work for a company that dealt with a lot of elderly customers and they were insistent they wanted TPFT cover for 1,000 miles, despite me telling them repeatedly that fully comp @ 4000 would be cheaper for more cover.

Don't get me started on home insurance. Christ that's a nightmare.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The only issue I have had with insurance was when I had an accident about 1 week prior to my renewal.

The accident was not my fault and would eventually be deemed that way by the insurance company. However because the claim was ongoing at renewal, I lost my no claims bonus.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A Tesco delivery van crashed into my parents gate years ago. My parents had home insurance through Tesco. Tesco's van was not insured by Tesco. It took like a year to sort out.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It was an open secret back in the day that my great auntie used to do stuff like dropping hot coal on her living room carpet or flooding the kitchen when she fancied something new. There were rumours about her scamming the catalogues too with disappeared deliveries :laugh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tsietisin posted:

The only issue I have had with insurance was when I had an accident about 1 week prior to my renewal.

The accident was not my fault and would eventually be deemed that way by the insurance company. However because the claim was ongoing at renewal, I lost my no claims bonus.

They should restore it retroactively once non-fault status was resolved, and refund the difference. If not, complain!

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Made a sale on eBay to someone in NI. Have to fill out customs forms and include a photocopy of an ID.

https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360006638399-Customs-invoice-and-how-to-complete-it

If we are reading this right we also would need to message the buyer and ask for his national insurance number.

The websites to find the tariff number are both incredibly confusing as well.

I cant even send a photocopy of a blue passport because mine is still red. WHERE IS MY BLUE PASSPORT BOJO!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Solidarity Fund general meeting is now closed!

Resolution 1 passes & the constitution will be duly amended. Thanks to those who raised concerns - we'll be taking those into account as we consider the next round of changes, which won't be until after the committee elections (don't forget to vote!)

There was a slight majority in favour of keeping these meetings/proceedings in-thread, although that was a discussion rather than a vote; a non-binding referendum, you might say. If there's going to be a lot of voting coming up, we may have to look for a middle ground to reduce thread clutter.

Many thanks for everyone's time. Do drop by the Discord channel if you want to discuss/provide further thoughts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maugrim posted:

Solidarity Fund general meeting is now closed!

Resolution 1 passes & the constitution will be duly amended. Thanks to those who raised concerns - we'll be taking those into account as we consider the next round of changes, which won't be until after the committee elections (don't forget to vote!)

There was a slight majority in favour of keeping these meetings/proceedings in-thread, although that was a discussion rather than a vote; a non-binding referendum, you might say. If there's going to be a lot of voting coming up, we may have to look for a middle ground to reduce thread clutter.

Many thanks for everyone's time. Do drop by the Discord channel if you want to discuss/provide further thoughts.

Voting via the form seems like a good option. Or does it need to be more public than that?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

stev posted:

Voting via the form seems like a good option. Or does it need to be more public than that?

Do you mean creating a Google form for voting? That seems like it could be a good option. The form responses sheet could be released if we wanted the results to be public.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they mean the thing we are using the vote for the committee.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ahhh. Yes, with verification and everything. That's a very good suggestion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

I think they mean the thing we are using the vote for the committee.

Yeah whatever this form is: https://voting.ukmt.fund/, since it requires verification.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

Don't get me started on home insurance. Christ that's a nightmare.

Pro-tip: for house insurance, always enter ‘0’ for expected mileage. You’d be surprised how much damage a trip of even a fraction of a mile can cause to the average house.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Skilbs posted:

Made a sale on eBay to someone in NI. Have to fill out customs forms and include a photocopy of an ID.

https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360006638399-Customs-invoice-and-how-to-complete-it

If we are reading this right we also would need to message the buyer and ask for his national insurance number.

The websites to find the tariff number are both incredibly confusing as well.

I cant even send a photocopy of a blue passport because mine is still red. WHERE IS MY BLUE PASSPORT BOJO!

This level of documentation is quite honestly impractical for most small scale sales and/or purchases. Credit where credit is due, let's acknowledge Bojo as the great uniter of Ireland.

I would refuse to ship anything if I had to provide that level of documentation.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Z the IVth posted:

I had an argument with one of my insurers about what counted as a "mod". Do factory fitted options cost if they were selected at time of purchase? (I know, I bought my car new :guillotine:). They seemed to imply that any option apart from 4 wheels, the engine, body and seats were considered mods and needed declaration.

At least where I worked, the answer was yes. Essentially, if those optional extras aren't an integral part of the make, model and mark of the vehicle, then they needed to be declared as modifications. The way I'd explain this to customers is that if your you blew £1000+ on alloy wheels for your Vauxhall Corsa and another £1000+ on fancy bumpers and a spoiler, that's a more valuable car, and it costs more to insure, regardless of when and where they were attached. Those sorts of optional extras aren't listed in the DVLA database, so the only way the insurer knows you have that stuff when you're getting the quote is if you tell them. They're things which have modified the car from its base specifications, so they're modifications. Factory-fitted modifications, sure, but modifications all the same.

That said, if the manufacturer makes granular packages and lists them as separate things, e.g. there's a base model Vauxhall Corsa called the SE, and a high end model called Vauxhall Corsa Ultimate Nav, then the different packages don't count as mods--even though the Ultimate Nav has like a colour touchscreen and a bajillion other doodads--because a DVLA check will pull that up as a Vauxhall Corsa Ultimate Nav. So your insurance quote would assume there's a touchscreen in the car, among other things.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 12, 2021

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Lol if only Menshn kept going, it could have been the #1 Chud social media platform of 2021.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

Pro-tip: for house insurance, always enter ‘0’ for expected mileage. You’d be surprised how much damage a trip of even a fraction of a mile can cause to the average house.

"In fact over the course of the year your house moved over 180 million miles as the Earth orbited the sun, your claim is denied".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Watch them use that as another excuse to not pay out for subsidence.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Since we're on home insurance chat I'll just mention UIA, who are a mutual insurance company set up for trade union members. They have also been pretty cheap and not too painful to deal with.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That food parcel thing seems to be gaining traction. A lot of people are pointing out that the contents parcel that the taxpayer pays £30 for could be purchased for £5 in Asda. The company that provides them says it's not representative of what the parcel should include, but refuse to clarify what it should include and seem to be ignoring the fact that hundreds of examples have been posted.

Marcus Rashford is on it so the DfE is now going to pretend to listen and make a token attempt at improving it (and will probably ask their mates to get £10's worth of food instead of £5).

https://twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1348750545905979397?s=19

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

That food parcel thing seems to be gaining traction. A lot of people are pointing out that the contents parcel that the taxpayer pays £30 for could be purchased for £5 in Asda. The company that provides them says it's not representative of what the parcel should include, but refuse to clarify what it should include and seem to be ignoring the fact that hundreds of examples have been posted.

Marcus Rashford is on it so the DfE is now going to pretend to listen and make a token attempt at improving it (and will probably ask their mates to get £10's worth of food instead of £5).

https://twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1348750545905979397?s=19

Yeah, their twitter is a just a flood of 'so what should be in it?' and them not answering.

Also they call it a loving 'hamper', dear god.

edit: of course, it's Compass Group, chairman Paul Walsh https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2015/apr/01/tory-100-industry-captains-party-donors-tax-avoiders

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 12, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The waste is the point

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009
Chartwells also does the school dinners in a load of schools, and I have seen at first hand what they think is acceptable for kids to eat. A luke-warm baked potato with some cheese sprinkled on it, yeah that's enough for a 10 year old kids lunch. They use the cheapest nastiest produce and rely on the fact that kids wont complain to thier parents. A number of schools I've worked at have moved on from them when their contract expires, but there needs to be enough pressure from PTA, and they legally need to be given chances to improve before they can be kicked out.

It's a pity because some catering companies do amazing jobs with providing food for the kids there. Chartwells is not one of them...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This is a pretty telling comparison i think: https://twitter.com/rbenson73/status/1348746484636934145

Like, this is what a profit-making supermarket fits in a food parcel...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The wallet inspector is giving me a terrible deal

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Marcus Rashford MBE is the real Leader of the Opposition

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

It was an open secret back in the day that my great auntie used to do stuff like dropping hot coal on her living room carpet or flooding the kitchen when she fancied something new. There were rumours about her scamming the catalogues too with disappeared deliveries :laugh:

A relative of mine used to do likewise. She had home accident cover and amazing how destructive her 5 year old was when she wanted a new stereo or whatever.
She also stayed with me when I lived in London for a few days and her car got broken into. Next time I saw her, she had a new video camera cost over £700 with her - to replace the one 'stolen' from her car. She never had one before.
Naturally, the one time I got burgled was the one time the police caught the burglar and his stash so if I'd made a false claim (which I did NOT and which just about everyone was egging me on to do) I would have been found out.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A relative of mine used to do likewise. She had home accident cover and amazing how destructive her 5 year old was when she wanted a new stereo or whatever.
She also stayed with me when I lived in London for a few days and her car got broken into. Next time I saw her, she had a new video camera cost over £700 with her - to replace the one 'stolen' from her car. She never had one before.
Naturally, the one time I got burgled was the one time the police caught the burglar and his stash so if I'd made a false claim (which I did NOT and which just about everyone was egging me on to do) I would have been found out.

I knew you were slightly older than the thread average, but to think you were alive when the police actually caught criminals??? Wild.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Grauniad is having a special on brain spiders today

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/11/could-boris-johnson-be-eyeing-another-snap-election-dont-bet-against-it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

I knew you were slightly older than the thread average, but to think you were alive when the police actually caught criminals??? Wild.

It was rare even then. (1989)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Polly huffing them farts hard

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Na, you could just claim he'd already fenced it. I mean, it's your word against someone literally caught burgling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmegin posted:

Na, you could just claim he'd already fenced it. I mean, it's your word against someone literally caught burgling.

It'd be their word against the police though.

e: Unless you mean they should've included other stuff that wasn't actually stolen. But if they didn't report it stolen to the police they'd be found out anyway. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say giving a false police report is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's just a particularly aspirational variant on "The real, liberal Boris Johnson appears to have gone forever... but what if?"