Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s looking good. you happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

very! the rest of the UI is gonna be programmer art cuz anything more complex is currently out of reach but it’s enough to be a little impressive!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

that said I don’t really want to model that entire game board just for a toy game mod lmao

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
to make the inside, either put a circle inside (then go to edit mode, select everything, hit F to make it a face aka polygon) or a cylinder with the top cut off (go to Edit mode, deselect everything, press 3 to be in Faces mode, then select the top face of the cylinder, hit X and choose Face to delete it, then hit A to select everything, then go to Mesh->Normals->Flip to make it inside out)

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Started with a torus. Enabled x-ray (button in the top right of the screen) selected the bottom half, deleted it. Deleted 3/4 of it. Extruded (E key) the bottom to the the desired depth. Extruded a single vertex from the bottom ring. Pressed N key to go into properties and set the x and y to zero. (you can drag the mouse down multiple fields to change them at once.) Selected two of the vertices in the ring and the center one and pressed F to create a face. Repeated that for the entire bottom ring.
Going back up to the torus, I extruded the outer edge a ways. In the top middle of the screen, there's the option to change the transform pivot point. I selected the option for active element. (Which is shown in white, usually the last thing you selected.)
Then, selecting the outer most vertex, as well as the ones along half the outer ring, I hit S (Scale) Y (Scale along the Y axis. Also works for the X and Z axis. Holding shift + axis would select the other two axis) and then 0. Then repeated that for the other half of the vertices on the X axis. This is how I got that square. Then I selected the ring at the edge of the torus, and the ring at the bottom, and hit ctrl+B and added a teeny tiny bevel.(This ups the realism a bit and helps keep shaders from getting wonky.) Went into object data properties on the right side, normals, and turned on auto smoothing, with a setting of 36. I hit tab to go back into object mod. Then I went into modifiers on the right, then added a mirror modifier, selecting the options for X and Y. Then I added an array modifier with a set count of four,(This might be optional in your use case) and hey presto!

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 11, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doc Block posted:

to make the inside, either put a circle inside (then go to edit mode, select everything, hit F to make it a face aka polygon) or a cylinder with the top cut off (go to Edit mode, deselect everything, press 3 to be in Faces mode, then select the top face of the cylinder, hit X and choose Face to delete it, then hit A to select everything, then go to Mesh->Normals->Flip to make it inside out)

aw hell yeah this worked pretty drat well!

though i'm having trouble making it look appropriately deep without making it metallic:

maybe i'm still wrapping my head around how all this works.

but this is great, i really feel like i'm getting a handle on it, and i think i made something really cool-

Bluemillion posted:

Started with a torus. Enabled x-ray (button in the top right of the screen) selected the bottom half, deleted it. Deleted 3/4 of it. Extruded (E key) the bottom to the the desired depth. Extruded a single vertex from the bottom ring. Pressed N key to go into properties and set the x and y to zero. (you can drag the mouse down multiple fields to change them at once.) Selected two of the vertices in the ring and the center one and pressed F to create a face. Repeated that for the entire bottom ring.
Going back up to the torus, I extruded the outer edge a ways. In the top middle of the screen, there's the option to change the transform pivot point. I selected the option for active element. (Which is shown in white, usually the last thing you selected.)
Then, selecting the outer most vertex, as well as the ones along half the outer ring, I hit S (Scale) Y (Scale along the Y axis. Also works for the X and Z axis. Holding shift + axis would select the other two axis) and then 0. Then repeated that for the other half of the vertices on the X axis. This is how I got that square. Then I selected the ring at the edge of the torus, and the ring at the bottom, and hit ctrl+B and added a teeny tiny bevel.(This ups the realism a bit and helps keep shaders from getting wonky.) Went into object data properties on the right side, normals, and turned on auto smoothing, with a setting of 36. I hit tab to go back into object mod. Then I went into modifiers on the right, then added a mirror modifier, selecting the options for X and Y. Then I added an array modifier with a set count of four,(This might be optional in your use case) and hey presto!

oh. okay :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

naw but that's ingenious and i'm totally stealing replicating it :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

either way, for now:

:cool:

the board is a work in progress, ok

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
It looks fine, there's no reason to be insecure. We're all learning. I'd be really surprised if there's any one human who understands every single aspect of this massive software suite.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yeah at this point it’s a matter of modeling the gutters and then the game board

then, :sigh:, animation

then I gotta write the plot aaaa

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

imagine actually modeling something instead of using a massive shader node tree for vector displacement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jenny Agutter posted:

imagine actually modeling something instead of using a massive shader node tree for vector displacement

lmao get outta here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

It looks fine, there's no reason to be insecure. We're all learning. I'd be really surprised if there's any one human who understands every single aspect of this massive software suite.

probably ian hubert does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58lc8sLpJzY

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

lmao get outta here

no lie when i saw the game board render i involuntarily started thinking about the node setup to make it, nodevember broke my brain

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

no lie when i saw the game board render i involuntarily started thinking about the node setup to make it, nodevember broke my brain

broke my brain too op

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

not yet sure if i want to delve into that particular concept gently caress it time to google blender nodes

edit oh poo poo this might help me achieve the right texture on the point pegs, the kind that looks like a ps4 analog stick

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
So I was thinking about that holey mask that other guy posted today, and wondered what would happen if I invited some curve modifiers to my party.
I ended up making an octopus tire!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

now make a dune buggy that can drive up glass walls

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bluemillion posted:

So I was thinking about that holey mask that other guy posted today, and wondered what would happen if I invited some curve modifiers to my party.
I ended up making an octopus tire!

lol nice

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Okay now it's getting interesting:

Just gotta clean up that shading somehow. Might need to add some more geometry.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
in my post i explain exactly how to fix that. you use a data transfer modifier to copy the normals from a hidden copy of your object that doesn’t have any holes in it

edit: you don’t need to add more geometry, that’s not the problem. the problem is all the ngons that get created.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 12, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Doc Block posted:

in my post i explain exactly how to fix that. you use a data transfer modifier to copy the normals from a hidden copy of your object that doesn’t have any holes in it

edit: you don’t need to add more geometry, that’s not the problem. the problem is all the ngons that get created.

Uh, there isn't a version of the object without holes. There are no ngons. It's literally just this 16 face mesh run through a bunch of modifiers:

Instead of modeling something and then punching holes in it, I modeled the holes first.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 13, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

incredible

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

viscosity setting in blender alpha is a little buggy but cool
https://i.imgur.com/qVj6yv5.mp4

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bluemillion posted:

Uh, there isn't a version of the object without holes. There are no ngons. It's literally just this 16 face mesh run through a bunch of modifiers:

Instead of modeling some and then punching holes in it, I modeled the holes first.

ah, ok. i thought you were using the method i posted, my bad.

Jenny Agutter posted:

viscosity setting in blender alpha is a little buggy but cool
https://i.imgur.com/qVj6yv5.mp4

fully sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

I didn’t know Blender had an option for CPU + GPU

In Cycles settings all I see is CPU or GPU

gpu compute in the render settings for cycles really just means use cuda or opencl or whatever, rather than a pure cpu pathway, which the only advantage of is being able to use the open shading language but 🤷‍♂️ i’m not coding poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
MAKE MORE CORES

https://giant.gfycat.com/OnlyCleanDeviltasmanian.webm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my experience with rendering things is about 20 years old* so it blows my mind how fast it is now

*and recently when I download jenny agutter's ball render for my handle and started playing with blender :D

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

test render
https://i.imgur.com/gjNzKk6.mp4

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Is this core Blender or flipfluids?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

blender 2.92 alpha, no extensions

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

blender 2.92 alpha, no extensions

i geometry noded a table yesterday. v cool

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

don’t GPU renders go faster if you use a larger tile size? people say to turn it up to like 256 for GPU renders.

also don’t all the cool kids with RTX GPUs use OptiX, so Cycles can use the GPU’s ray tracing capabilities and the crazy fast OptiX denoiser

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

don’t GPU renders go faster if you use a larger tile size? people say to turn it up to like 256 for GPU renders.

also don’t all the cool kids with RTX GPUs use OptiX, so Cycles can use the GPU’s ray tracing capabilities and the crazy fast OptiX denoiser

I believe so about RTX but I don’t have one. just gtx. i can use optix but it’s no faster

and you’re right about the larger buckets for pure GPU but i’ve mucked around and found 32x32 leads to best times while mixed GPU and CPU, apparently smaller buckets suits the CPU but smaller than 32 must introduce too much inefficiency idk 🤷‍♂️

it interests me as far as how it all works but i also
don’t know poo poo

siiick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol animate the viscosity for incredibly unrealistic motion

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

It is very important that you model a fried chicken drumstick for this to pour over.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

spending a lot of time adjusting my mode noodles to not cross

they should make a zachtronics game about node
noodles

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://gumroad.com/l/VthLyO cool...

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

i geometry noded a table yesterday. v cool

need to watch a tutorial on this, I couldn't figure out how to do anything cool with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sweet

box cutter has some of those features, including the grid, but doesn’t look like it can do all of those things

watching people use hard surface modelling tools is impressive, especially once you try yourself and realise how good they are lol