Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

He's a boy, and they're men. And they just love to play with little boys.

It works out fine because Rey also likes to beat his kids

https://twitter.com/reymysterio/status/263061905764151296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/orinanne/status/1347585138755067904

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

He's a boy, and they're men. And they just love to play with little boys.

WCW is where the big boys play

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Steve Austin posted:

WCW is where the big boys play with each other

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Beer_Suitcase posted:

WCW is where the big boys play

Look at the adjective

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
When I watched that promo live I remember my dumbass 16-year-old self trying to figure out if "play" could also be an adjective.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1345403213667684354

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Outright trashing your own product and saying it's fake is extremely on brand for WCW in 1999.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I swear we watched a clip of that show in one of MRT's sunday night viewings, but damned if I can find it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Brett Hartt

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

DJExile posted:

I swear we watched a clip of that show in one of MRT's sunday night viewings, but damned if I can find it

Bix posted one:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1296216186351484930

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thaaaaat was it. Thank you!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Angry_Ed posted:

Unmasked Rey Mysterio was already a stupid idea so of course WCW had to double down on it and make it worse.

He kept adding more layers - he dyed his hair, added suspenders, parachute or zubaz pants or something, and on and on. He was great in the ring, but why throw away your character's most appealing trait?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

That art style is completely hideous.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Red posted:

He kept adding more layers - he dyed his hair, added suspenders, parachute or zubaz pants or something, and on and on. He was great in the ring, but why throw away your character's most appealing trait?

Masked guys don't get ovah

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like it says a lot that unmasking Rey Mysterio was such a bad idea that even in Mexico where they treat unmasking as a thing you can never take back they were like "well technically it wasn't a real Luchas de apuestas match so yeah you can put the mask back on."

I seriously don't know how often official Lucha Libre commissions have ever done that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Brett Hartt

Brett Clarke

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Vagabundo posted:

Brett Clarke
star of the WCW

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dick Slender

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

I love it

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Like it says a lot that unmasking Rey Mysterio was such a bad idea that even in Mexico where they treat unmasking as a thing you can never take back they were like "well technically it wasn't a real Luchas de apuestas match so yeah you can put the mask back on."

I seriously don't know how often official Lucha Libre commissions have ever done that.

I'm not the expert (MRT will probably come in behind me and correct me), but even in Mexico, it's not "a thing you can never take back." They try to keep people from putting on a new mask right away, so that the significance of unmasking isn't undermined, but luchadors remask under new gimmicks semi-frequently.

Or look at Silver King. He lost his mask well before WCW, then twenty years later decided "I want to wear my mask again" and just put it back on. After a couple of years, the commission finally told him, "look, if you want to keep the mask, OK, but do something to justify it," and he said, "fine, sometimes I'll call myself 'Silver Kain' instead?" and that seems to have been good enough.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Cavauro posted:

Brett Hartt

gently caress Brett Hart. I like his wraparound sunglasses, those are cool. But he SUCKS for refusing to drop the belt. He was going to take the strap to WCW. REmember when he got kicked in the head by that piss rear end Goldberg? That mother fucker, I'm surprised didn't kill Bret with his inexcusable inability to work a kick

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

I'm not the expert (MRT will probably come in behind me and correct me), but even in Mexico, it's not "a thing you can never take back." They try to keep people from putting on a new mask right away, so that the significance of unmasking isn't undermined, but luchadors remask under new gimmicks semi-frequently.

Or look at Silver King. He lost his mask well before WCW, then twenty years later decided "I want to wear my mask again" and just put it back on. After a couple of years, the commission finally told him, "look, if you want to keep the mask, OK, but do something to justify it," and he said, "fine, sometimes I'll call myself 'Silver Kain' instead?" and that seems to have been good enough.

Fair enough, I had completely forgotten about Silver King, and as such had created this mental blind spot where I thought it was "permanent". Or thought like in a Sin Cara/Mistico/Hunico situation they just never publically unmasked/remasked.

Thanks for the info.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Fair enough, I had completely forgotten about Silver King, and as such had created this mental blind spot where I thought it was "permanent". Or thought like in a Sin Cara/Mistico/Hunico situation they just never publically unmasked/remasked.

Thanks for the info.

No problem, and no worries (as I said, I'm not the most knowledgeable, either). It feels permanent because it's supposed to feel permanent, that's the whole mystique. And Rey might genuinely have had an easier time getting "approval" to re-mask, I can't say.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

gently caress Brett Hart. I like his wraparound sunglasses, those are cool. But he SUCKS for refusing to drop the belt. He was going to take the strap to WCW. REmember when he got kicked in the head by that piss rear end Goldberg? That mother fucker, I'm surprised didn't kill Bret with his inexcusable inability to work a kick

Bret agreed to drop the belt on RAW in a 4 way the night after Survivor Series, Vince just didn't want WCW claiming they had his champion, which they basically did anyway

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If you believe Bret, he said he was willing to drop the belt to Shawn on RAW that night, but Vince was very paranoid of another Madusa situation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bret agreed to drop the belt on RAW in a 4 way the night after Survivor Series, Vince just didn't want WCW claiming they had his champion, which they basically did anyway

The 4 way was going to be at the next PPV and it was all agreed to do that until Shawn and HHH started playing games.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When you read the Observer and stuff from the Torch it's very clearly Brett was willing to drop the title but Shawn was very much at peak levels of being Shawn bullshit and Vince was very much listening to him and HHH (And also being knee deep in his own Bullshit).

Even more funny is Shawn tried similar bull poo poo to beat Austin at Mania!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

When you read the Observer and stuff from the Torch it's very clearly Brett was willing to drop the title but Shawn was very much at peak levels of being Shawn bullshit and Vince was very much listening to him and HHH (And also being knee deep in his own Bullshit).

Wasn't the tipping point, according to everyone, when Vince asked Bret to get a commitment from Bischoff to push everything back until after the December PPV, but Bret couldn't get a hold of Bischoff (legitimately, he was off on a hunting vacation or something), and Shawn/HHH tweaked Vince's paranoia that Bret was lying about not being able to reach Bischoff and Bret and Bischoff were going to screw him?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

disaster pastor posted:

Wasn't the tipping point, according to everyone, when Vince asked Bret to get a commitment from Bischoff to push everything back until after the December PPV, but Bret couldn't get a hold of Bischoff (legitimately, he was off on a hunting vacation or something), and Shawn/HHH tweaked Vince's paranoia that Bret was lying about not being able to reach Bischoff and Bret and Bischoff were going to screw him?

Bischoff agreed to it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even more funny is Shawn tried similar bull poo poo to beat Austin at Mania!

Wait what? I thought Shawn was in loads of pain and hadn't wrestled since he bounced off the casket at the Rumble.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Red posted:

Wait what? I thought Shawn was in loads of pain and hadn't wrestled since he bounced off the casket at the Rumble.

He was trying to convince Vince to have him win and up until the match the rumor was that Shawn would try to pull a last minute power play to get the finish changed

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
HBK winning at Mania and then vacating the title might've sunk the WWF for good. Although Austin was so red hot it's hard to see anything stopping his momentum at the time, that might've done it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Austin losing would have made WWF look like a low-rent WCW. I know Austin actually decisively beating HBK to win the title was a big reason why I began to watch Raw more than Nitro.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

He was trying to convince Vince to have him win and up until the match the rumor was that Shawn would try to pull a last minute power play to get the finish changed

I've always heard the myth that Taker was in the back with his hands taped up if Shawn didn't do business. But that sounds like some bullshit. But also on brand for Taker so I'm conflicted.

On the screw job, yeah Shawn was a dickhead but Bret should have dropped the belt. It's fuckin' fake dude.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Modern WWE would have Austin lose so HBK could vacate the next night, then have Austin lose the title match at the next ppv for the HEAT

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Bret did the right thing. You are worth more when you don't lose. Especially back then. Don't side with management c'mon.

Especially not WWF management.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The 4 way was going to be at the next PPV and it was all agreed to do that until Shawn and HHH started playing games.

Right. IIRC, it was supposed to be Bret/Shawn/Shamrock/UT?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

I've always heard the myth that Taker was in the back with his hands taped up if Shawn didn't do business. But that sounds like some bullshit. But also on brand for Taker so I'm conflicted.

On the screw job, yeah Shawn was a dickhead but Bret should have dropped the belt. It's fuckin' fake dude.

Why should he have agreed to help out the company that was letting him go as a cost cutting move? When you get fired from your job do you offer go mop the floors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bret offered to drop the title to multiple people before Survivor Series and in different ways Vince just refused. Bret probably would of dropped to Shawn too in the US if Shawn didn't go full scorched earth back stage

Plus you know creative control during the final days in the contract.