Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

tildes posted:

Yooka Laylee? It’s also pinball though.

Do you mean Yoku's Island express? Or are there multiple pinball vania games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They absolutely mean Yoku's Island Express, Yooka Laylee is more of an attempt at a Banjo-Kazooie-esque collectathon 3d platformer than a metroidvania, much less one that was also pinball.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Kly posted:

Can you tell me more about those options? My 6yr old loves metroidvanias but has mostly only played them with rewinding or save states. He beat shantae risckys revenge and that was kinda the perfect difficulty level.

I hesitantly say RIVE might be worth a shot? It's a mashup of a metroidvania and twin-stick space shooter which is probably a bit high on the difficulty spectrum, but did patch in an easier difficulty after launch. Good game and it's actually under $2 on Steam at the moment.

Toki Tori 2, by the same studio, is a 100% puzzle-based metroidvania. I'm pretty sure there's no actual failstate. You have only two moves: whistle, and stomp, yet somehow the game builds surprisingly elaborate puzzles around that. Similarly dirt cheap right now. My caveat is that, unless the "2+" release changed some things, it does not hold your hand AT ALL and can be quite mystifying to pick up for the first time.

BEEP also comes to mind. Not strictly a metroidvania, but a stage-based platformer with large levels that it encourages exploring fully.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xarbala posted:

They absolutely mean Yoku's Island Express, Yooka Laylee is more of an attempt at a Banjo-Kazooie-esque collectathon 3d platformer than a metroidvania, much less one that was also pinball.
The sequel is a Donkey Kong Country-esque 2D platformer.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

bamhand posted:

Do you mean Yoku's Island express? Or are there multiple pinball vania games?

I definitely mean Yoku’s Island Express, ty

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kly posted:

Can you tell me more about those options? My 6yr old loves metroidvanias but has mostly only played them with rewinding or save states. He beat shantae risckys revenge and that was kinda the perfect difficulty level.

If I remember correctly Dust: An Elysian Tail was relatively easy and regularly goes on sale for $3-4.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stickman posted:

If I remember correctly Dust: An Elysian Tail was relatively easy and regularly goes on sale for $3-4.

The game's pretty easy but the story might be a bit heavy for a six year-old.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Song of the Deep might be a good choice for a child-friendly metroidvania.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artelier posted:

The genre as a whole is normally referred to as shoot 'em ups or SHMUPs

Bullet hells are a subgenre of schmup that combine very large numbers of projectiles with a very small player hitbox, placing an emphasis on precise maneuvering through the projectile pattern.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kly posted:

The Knytt Games by Nifflas are very accessible for all ages and should scratch metroidvania itch.

VVVVVV can get hard but it's critical path is not too difficult at all.

World to The West is charming and shouldn't be too difficult.

Steamworld Dig 2 is very easy to complete. Note: Steamworld Dig 1 is much harder.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fez_machine posted:

The Knytt Games by Nifflas are very accessible for all ages and should scratch metroidvania itch.

Maybe not Knytt Underground, though

(Cilia is pretty fun, but in a childish way that's not suitable for 6-year-olds)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 12, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Hello, I have a recommendation: Gato Roboto, a short and amusing Metroidvania indie. I'm bad at videogames and I got through with 100%.

this is a really solid bite sized game that you can finish in a single two hour sitting, not too easy, not too hard. I'd only barely qualify it as a metroidvania as it's simply too small to have much of that kind of world design, but it's well worth playing.

Kly posted:

this looks good and its on switch so ill probably pick it up for him

if anyone has easy metroidvania recommendations id love to hear them

Momodora reverie under the moonlight is easy and very good so I recommend it in general, although FYI there's some blood in the environments if that affects what you let him play. also while I do like the game overall, alas, the creator decided to include a giant witch boss who you defeat by smacking her in the tits a bunch, which I personally found very tacky

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm not googling 17 anal anytime soon but is that relation really a thing?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Whoo got owned by a phishing scam and I must have given a login token to someone else who went and got to 14 people on my friends list (at least) before I took my account back.

if I sent you a weird message asking you to vote for my CSGO team or something on some website, that was 100% a phishing attempt. For whatever reason they didn't try to change my password/email/remove the steamguard so I dunno if all they can do with the phishing attempt is get a login token but either way don't be a dummy like me and just go to a link sent to you by a steam friend you haven't talked to in years.

Luckily they didn't like...sell or do anything on my account besides send out messages trying to scam more accounts (not like there's anything of worth in my inventory) but still ugh. Wish I remember who it was that had gotten me but it was several days ago and they only just hit my account earlier tonight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

Whoo got owned by a phishing scam and I must have given a login token to someone else who went and got to 14 people on my friends list (at least) before I took my account back.

if I sent you a weird message asking you to vote for my CSGO team or something on some website, that was 100% a phishing attempt. For whatever reason they didn't try to change my password/email/remove the steamguard so I dunno if all they can do with the phishing attempt is get a login token but either way don't be a dummy like me and just go to a link sent to you by a steam friend you haven't talked to in years.

Luckily they didn't like...sell or do anything on my account besides send out messages trying to scam more accounts (not like there's anything of worth in my inventory) but still ugh. Wish I remember who it was that had gotten me but it was several days ago and they only just hit my account earlier tonight.

Oh yeah don't worry, people in the thread are well aware of the Vote For My Team scam.

It's been a source of some bemusement for the past... I want to say few hundred pages? It's been a long-running theme but it really hasn't gotten a lot of PSAs outside of this particular thread for some reason.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm playing Fell Seal and I think I'm fairly early in the game - do you ever start being able to deal with enemies without your entire team focusing on one at a time? I got to a hold the line mission and it sucks since everything is so spongey.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Oh yeah don't worry, people in the thread are well aware of the Vote For My Team scam.

It's been a source of some bemusement for the past... I want to say few hundred pages? It's been a long-running theme but it really hasn't gotten a lot of PSAs outside of this particular thread for some reason.

First time I've run into it. Well either way the person who hacked my account was rude to one of the people and that got a different friend to @me on discord to go "hey yo I think your steam got hacked"

going off on them for "asking stupid loving questions" and calling them "paranoid and depressed" for my friend going "please give my friend their account back"

good times. obviously.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did the PC version of HZD get more optimization? I hadn’t played in like a month but booted it up when I was done with a new computer build and going from a 2070S to 3060Ti should not have nearly doubled my frame rate.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kennel posted:

Maybe not Knytt Underground, though

(Cilia is pretty fun, but in a childish way that's not suitable for 6-year-olds)

I loved Knytt Stories but didn't care for Underground at all

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MagusDraco posted:

Check your blocked user list too
the worm or whatever it is auto-blocks everyone who tries to respond to the phishing link with "hey your account is compromised"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did the PC version of HZD get more optimization? I hadn’t played in like a month but booted it up when I was done with a new computer build and going from a 2070S to 3060Ti should not have nearly doubled my frame rate.

There was an optimization patch a month and two days ago (1.08 and/or 1.09) where they made improvements to the shader optimizer and some other things alongside fixing some graphics bugs.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Check your blocked user list too
the worm or whatever it is auto-blocks everyone who tries to respond to the phishing link with "hey your account is compromised"

I did and made the mistake of not screenshotting who all it got sent to via that (I unblocked them all before thinking "wait will I be able to see who I had blocked after hitting this?")

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Kennel posted:

Rautavaara (pretty basic place name & surname) is literally "Iron Hill".

But "vaara" also mean danger, so it's common to make cheap jokes about names that end with that.

It's really dumb and doesn't make any sense in this context, but when I heard the game's name, I immediately knew that it had to be Finnish and it was pretty amusing to find out that it was true.

Thanks! That kinda rules

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Momodora reverie under the moonlight is easy and very good so I recommend it in general, although FYI there's some blood in the environments if that affects what you let him play. also while I do like the game overall, alas, the creator decided to include a giant witch boss who you defeat by smacking her in the tits a bunch, which I personally found very tacky
unless i'm missing something, momodora is patterned after souls combat with stamina, dodge rolls and limited healing.. so maybe not easy for a newer gamer imo. unless they added assist/accessibility options?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm playing Fell Seal and I think I'm fairly early in the game - do you ever start being able to deal with enemies without your entire team focusing on one at a time? I got to a hold the line mission and it sucks since everything is so spongey.

There are some very powerful builds in the game so yes. By the mid game I had a character dual-wielding two-handed mauls that would one shot most standard enemies. I also had a gunslinger that would automatically attack any enemies that were attacked by other teammates for lots of damage. Another character could sacrifice portions of her own health to deal huge deathblows, and then regenerate her health as she moved. Really learning the jobs system so you have a really slick combination of passives while having access to primary and secondary classes with active abilities that synergize is important. I looked up a guide with some basic builds and then kind of got a feel for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

unless i'm missing something, momodora is patterned after souls combat with stamina, dodge rolls and limited healing.. so maybe not easy for a newer gamer imo. unless they added assist/accessibility options?

Invincibility dodge rolls exist but aren't actually required to beat just about anything, there is no stamina, there's enough healing to facetank quite a bit of the game on normal difficulty, and it has an easy difficulty. I wouldn't call the game a joke but it is still among the easiest metroidvanias I've played, and that was on normal difficulty so it should be beatable by most players on easy (there are instakill spikes which I'm sure are unaffected by difficulty but I found the spike jumps very forgiving)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I got three-quarters of the way through Hollow Knight's Godmaster content but Momodora loving curbstomped me repeatedly in the first half-hour with enemies strategically placed around instant death pits such as to gently caress you over as much as possible. I have ZERO tolerance for that particular NES era bullshit.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

MagusDraco posted:

First time I've run into it. Well either way the person who hacked my account was rude to one of the people and that got a different friend to @me on discord to go "hey yo I think your steam got hacked"

going off on them for "asking stupid loving questions" and calling them "paranoid and depressed" for my friend going "please give my friend their account back"

good times. obviously.

That's super interesting. As an aside, google how to revoke your Steam trade API and reset your Steam trade url.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

thanks for the easy metroid recommendations added about 4 games to a waitlist and got rive right away because its on sale on switch for like $2

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
By the way, I don't have screenshots, but I don't think that phishing scam is done by a bot, one of my friends got it, and another apparently got into a huge argument calling them a piece of poo poo or whatever. It's either a person, or my two friends actually hate each other.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

last time i got one i was like hell yeah ill vote for you bro and then like 2 hours later they sent me "????????????????????????????????????????????" so i guess they were watching and knew i didnt do it

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If they do contact you, tell them Boba Pearl said "lick my taint you fuckman" they'll know what it means.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagine getting hired by an organized crime syndicate only to get put on goon phishing duty

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: The first one! Beat the first campaign on the easiest difficulty and named my soldiers silly names and this was a hoot to play, lots of quick-saving and loading as I snuck around and shot guys and got shot in return. I don't have the patience for realistic shooters as I tend to get shot, so I bounced off the ARMAs pretty badly, but I love this one with its bizarre combo of deep simulation (you can hear bullet casings bouncing off of certain floors) (AI squads are generally good at being back-up) and the flaws of being from the early 2000s - wonky AI pathfinding, dumb control schemes, etc. The graphics and level design are great though, and I'm going to return to the expansion pack campaigns when I can.

hell yeah brother. the original ghost recon and its xpac campaigns are forgotten gems and hold up surprisingly well

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It's clearly a person or group of people manually doing it but I find it very interesting that they'd have the time and willingness to throw down and bicker with people. That makes no loving sense from any operational perspective. It's also interesting from a linguistic angle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Det_no posted:

It's clearly a person or group of people manually doing it but I find it very interesting that they'd have the time and willingness to throw down and bicker with people. That makes no loving sense from any operational perspective. It's also interesting from a linguistic angle.

Out here we've had a few cases of phone call scammers getting really lovely with people who drag them along, yelling abuse at them and repeatedly dialling them from different numbers, do I could believe it

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Out here we've had a few cases of phone call scammers getting really lovely with people who drag them along, yelling abuse at them and repeatedly dialling them from different numbers, do I could believe it

There are entire YouTube channels dedicated to pissing off scammers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

In like 2008 I dragged along one of those car warranty scammers for ages and when I told them I didn’t own a car on account of being a poor college student they got maaaad. I wish I recorded that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

In the mid 2000s a spam caller called at like 8 pm and my mom flipped out on them and hung up. They promptly called back and I answered to a guy talking about how he spoke with "my wife" and how rude she was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Det_no posted:

I have to imagine being a scammer is an incredibly difficult job, done by people in terrible circumstances, working on razor thin profit margins. I'm sure the stress of that is exhausting.

The game Yakuza: Fight Like A Dragon series taught me that these guys are probably low time "workers" who have to "earn" for their bosses, and if they don't they'll lose a pinkie. Luckily, they can just collect cans for Eco Points and trade that for food. They probably spend a lot of their time playing Shogi.

E: I'm still in Chapter 3, so no spoilers.