Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Why do they keep nerfing Ghost Shroud?!

It was defensively the strongest 2 points you could spend on any ascendancy

Raider seems...ok I guess? Might make one this league

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Saboteur got a slight increase to the mana cost reduction for traps but got the mine reservation reduction removed entirely, huh. I could see myself running a trapper again this league. (I still absolutely despise mines.)

Berserker got a couple small but nice buffs, might roll one at some point.

For Raider, could see myself taking Quartz Infusion, Rapid Assault, and both Frenzy nodes now. Super attack agnostic as usual so you can run it with whatever and go reasonably Fast. It's still probably not ideal.

Doomfletch Pathfinder can make good use of Trinity support with Veteran Bowyer constantly alternating what your highest damage source is...?

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

GGG really don't want people to play minions or totems for a long time.

chief just got boosted for awc, hft big time

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Am I right that it looks like Raider still has ele ailment immunity on Avatar of the Veil?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The defensive buffs to ascendant seem really nice from a consistency standpoint

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Deadeye got far shot and perfect barrage accuracy in the first node now

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Wilekat posted:

Am I right that it looks like Raider still has ele ailment immunity on Avatar of the Veil?

And 5% more exposure & accuracy reduction on enemies.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm hoping to play one of the ascendancies I've never played before for this league, which would be:

Deadeye
Raider
Pathfinder
Berserker
Chieftan
Inquisitor
Guardian
Ascendant

Kind of hoping there will be a fun new Ranger starting build this go-around.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Huh they straight up reverted the leech nerf to Ascendant Slayer from way back in Synthesis

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tukohama, War's Herald
Added
2% of Damage dealt by your Totems is Leeched to you as Life
100% increased Effect of Buffs granted by your Active Ancestor Totems

Removed
1% of Damage dealt by your Totems is Leeched to you as Life
50% increased Effect of Buffs granted by your Active Ancestor Totems
25% increased Area of Effect while you have a Totem

That is a huge buff god drat

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

*Pulls sheet back from Trickster* look how they massacred my boy

But in reality it's not too big of a nerf. Trickster will still be pretty drat solid. Assassin prob won't be the go-to for speed farming strats anymore.

Barring any revelations with the patch notes, my definitive, definitely won't change, build plans:

Start: Storm Brand Golem Shell Elementalist (hoping the Carrion/Stone golem nerfs will put people off enough that the primordial stuff won't be outrageous)
Second: Probably a Deadeye wander cause I want to see if I can finally make a "selfcast" character that I can kill bosses with
Third: Will this finally be the league to get me to make a third character????????

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Perm onslaught + phasing with extra onslaught effect? That's a ton of base MS.

Does someone have bookmarked a post explaining the difference between the "% more" and stuff like that w/r/t how they stack with each other?

vvv thanks

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 12, 2021

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stat#Rule_of_thumb_based_on_descriptions

tl;dr: (Sum of all Flat sources) * (Product of all More sources) * (Sum of all Increased sources) basically

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 12, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So for ancestral Warchief that is 45% more damage and protector is 50% more AS and Vaal aw is 80% More damage

With panopticon

There is a 30% cluster jewel too

With 4 cluster jewels that is 67% more damage for AW, 118% more for VAW and 74% more attack speed for AP totem

If I am doing the math right !

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 12, 2021

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Aaaaaand of course already they have to respond to the whining https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/kvfdri/clarifying_the_ascendancy_changes/

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am fine with the nerfs, but their explanation isn't exactly truthful. Sure some ascendancy options had both nerfs and buffs, but several of the current top ones were just straight nerfed across the board and had nothing or almost nothing added.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
^^^ kind of seems like that node might be worth it even on a fairly standard melee build.

I'm weirdly tempted by something like Frost Blades Raider or Cobra Lash Pathfinder even though I know those builds are garbage at bossing and this is a Bossing League.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Gonna be hard to resist the urge to go maximum movefast raider.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What might be a GOOD bossing build on raider? Well with 10 bosses maybe frost blades wouldn't actually be that bad... Because that permanent onslaught with so much onslaught effect is looking really juicy.

OTOH hiero which I'd looked at earlier moved ailment immunity from Arcane Blessing (2 node) to Illuminated Devotion (1 node) so that's a huge buff if I stuck to the ill-advised archmage blade vortex hiero.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 12, 2021

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Seems like Gladiator still offers more, right? With Deadeye you have to itemize / skill tree to all of accuracy, crit strike, crit multi, and impale. Tailwind's good of course, but you also lose the bleedsplosion clear. Your single target will be good with rupture and a crit, but Assailum resolves that on Gladiator for a pretty small investment.

Yes, Gladiator is probably still better for bleeds and Champion is probably still better for impales, but not really many builds use both of them (because there's never been a reason to) but I can probably make it work decently enough. Two of the Vicious Skewering nodes on larges is 30% impale effect and 20% bleed/impale chance. Get four mediums with haemorrhage for 72% dot multi on bleeds + 160% crit along with four compound injuries for 200% bleed damage on crits. It can work.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
They also swapped the node order so it doesn't help you there.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
When you guys plan characters in PoB, what do you do for items? Uniques, okay, whatever but rares? Do you just make your dream perfect rare or what?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cinara posted:

I am fine with the nerfs, but their explanation isn't exactly truthful. Sure some ascendancy options had both nerfs and buffs, but several of the current top ones were just straight nerfed across the board and had nothing or almost nothing added.

Yeah it's actually kind of a bizarre response.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

totalnewbie posted:

When you guys plan characters in PoB, what do you do for items? Uniques, okay, whatever but rares? Do you just make your dream perfect rare or what?

I usually do a search on the trade site with whatever budget I imagine I'll be working with, and then copy one of those items over into PoB.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

So for ancestral Warchief that is 45% more damage and protector is 50% more AS and Vaal aw is 80% More damage

With panopticon

There is a 30% cluster jewel too

With 4 cluster jewels that is 67% more damage for AW, 118% more for VAW and 74% more attack speed for AP totem

If I am doing the math right !

Very tempting to do this again. Did chief AW totems way back in essence league I think it was?

Bleed bow and fall/blast still strong contenders as well.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't see how any of the nerfs matters in the face of mixing harvest and alt gem qualities, combined with the extra loot from the new watchstones and map points.

We haven't even seen the skill buffs and I think already this league is going to be as crazy or more even than harvest.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Absolute bare minimum amount of equipment necessary to make the build function. Uniques if I run any, rares that I've already purchased, cluster jewels with notables only. Usually means A LOT of blank spaces. If I can get an acceptable amount of DPS (~500k with vast majority of empty slots) and health (~3.5k) then I'll move forward. But that also depends on usually understanding how the build scales.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I put in generic rares with only T2/T3 increased health, slot in critical uniques, mock up a weapon with DPS I think I can reasonably afford (or unique), and then ignore the entire system from there. Normalizing the numbers like this lets you quickly strip down someone elses build for comparison and see if you went wrong anywhere. There are limits to this approach, especially when it comes to comparing uniques to rares, but for the majority of cases where better rares wont change your pathing its great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Very tempting to do this again. Did chief AW totems way back in essence league I think it was?

Bleed bow and fall/blast still strong contenders as well.

Strength stacking with Brutus lead sprinkler is the current favorite way .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They nerf things every league and people get upset every time I don’t understand

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I also want to emphasize that making a build, taking a popular build guide with the same conceit, and stripping it down to the bare minimum is a great way to learn how to get some of these ridiculous numbers. Sometimes its incredibly expensive gear but more often than not youre going to find gem setups, build enabling uniques, and efficient pathing that lays a much better foundation for scaling than what you had. Always check your work against others.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Vasudus posted:

Absolute bare minimum amount of equipment necessary to make the build function. Uniques if I run any, rares that I've already purchased, cluster jewels with notables only. Usually means A LOT of blank spaces. If I can get an acceptable amount of DPS (~500k with vast majority of empty slots) and health (~3.5k) then I'll move forward. But that also depends on usually understanding how the build scales.

Yep, this is the right answer. For a lot of builds you just need your weapon slots and a few other items filled in to get 90% of the way there. If you get to the point where you want to fill everything in, then you can take the easy route and just tweak the existing rares pob provides, or import other people's builds and steal their items with the shared item feature. On top of that, there's a really handy item set manager that you can use to export/import all the slots at once. After you waste enough time in pob you'll have item sets for just about every build type and can slap them into place instantly.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hoping Hydrosphere is good so I can do something like a Chillementalist. Throw my big ball around, show 'em all who's boss.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

euphronius posted:

They nerf things every league and people get upset every time I don’t understand

This time they nerfed MY thing though

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

totalnewbie posted:

I use items I know I will be able to afford. If your don't know what you can afford, rare with 2 good stat or all resists and max life rolls. You will be resist capped no matter what most likely, and t1 life is not a hard thing to get.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

speaking of, is there anything looking as good this league as storm-brand archmage was when that was released?
because unfortunately thats now my baseline expectation for how the game should feel :/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc storm brand archmage wasn’t even “discovered” until a week into the league to so . Iirc it was awhile.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Each league is a new puzzle to solve. The game would get stale if the power of skills or ascendancies didn't shift around every now and then.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Between the mines side of Saboteur eating a nerf and Deadeye being Deadeye now, I'll be left wondering until Friday which ascendancy to go for bow mines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

Iirc storm brand archmage wasn’t even “discovered” until a week into the league to so . Iirc it was awhile.

What? We knew it was going to be nuts as soon as we saw the gem information