Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SubG posted:

But for most people the decision about whether or not to re-use a batch of fry oil is just how gross it is.

On a semi-related tangent, what's an easy way to get rid of old oil?

I end up reusing oil for longer than I should if only because it's a pain to dispose of it in a way that won't come back and bite me in the rear end (i.e.: with clogged plumbing). I can only wad up so many old slices of bread or paper towels into the trash...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I keep empty milk jugs or whatever around to pour it in.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That, plus many cities have municipal oil recycling or waste disposal. Google it and see if you have someplace nearby! Some colleges also do on-campus biodiesel.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Dern, okay thanks. This is like learning about what's in parmesan cheese all over again.

Uh, milk and salt and rennet?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Uh, milk and salt and rennet?

Animal rennet specifically. I just assumed all cheese was vegetarian but then I looked into it and things got complicated. It's still hard to find good parmesan that uses vegetable rennet in my area. Also apparently it's not technically parmesan in that case but whatever.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I'm feeling in the mood to dig into some cured meats - does anyone have a good recommendation for some place that sells a nice sampler I could order for deliver to the US Northeast that won't break the bank? Or maybe that just has super good Chorizo?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

McCracAttack posted:

Animal rennet specifically. I just assumed all cheese was vegetarian but then I looked into it and things got complicated. It's still hard to find good parmesan that uses vegetable rennet in my area. Also apparently it's not technically parmesan in that case but whatever.

...isn't most rennet from animal sources?

On the off chance you haven't come across it already, you might want to look into isinglass if you drink beer or wine.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm feeling in the mood to dig into some cured meats - does anyone have a good recommendation for some place that sells a nice sampler I could order for deliver to the US Northeast that won't break the bank? Or maybe that just has super good Chorizo?

I'm fairly certain there are local charcuterie producers you could patronize, and who very likely could use the business.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Jan posted:

On a semi-related tangent, what's an easy way to get rid of old oil?

I end up reusing oil for longer than I should if only because it's a pain to dispose of it in a way that won't come back and bite me in the rear end (i.e.: with clogged plumbing). I can only wad up so many old slices of bread or paper towels into the trash...

I dump it at O'Reilly's with my used motor oil.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

On the off chance you haven't come across it already, you might want to look into isinglass if you drink beer or wine.

No I think most rennet comes from fermentation these days. Specifically, genetically modified organisms which produce the same enzymes as in cow stomachs. Supposedly the fermented rennet has like an 80% market share in the US at least.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Eeyo posted:

No I think most rennet comes from fermentation these days. Specifically, genetically modified organisms which produce the same enzymes as in cow stomachs. Supposedly the fermented rennet has like an 80% market share in the US at least.

Neat. Good to know.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

It's surprisingly hard to know because there's no obligation to specify on labeling in the US. Fancier organic brands will sometimes specify "vegetable/vegetarian rennet" or "contains no animal rennet" but most just say "rennet" or "enzymes". So you might think "well if they don't specify then I'll assume animal rennet and avoid it" but even then you're in for surprises.

I mentioned parmesan earlier because I still can't find any that specifies vegetable or vegetarian rennet. They exist, just not around here. Apparently in some countries they're very strict about what parmesan cheese is so if you use non-traditional vegetable rennet then you have to call it something else so most don't bother. But do you know who does use vegetable rennet? Kraft. The old reliable green shaker of parmesan cheese sold right in the pasta isle is the only reliably vegetarian parmesan cheese I can find. It's not "the good stuff" at all but it's everywhere. The frustrating thing is they don't mention that on the label. I only know this because someone bothered to email their customer service department and ask.

You mentioned isinglass and that's an even bigger minefield since alcohol companies don't have to label their ingredients at all. There are tons of other examples like that and at some point it feels like the only options are to go super strict and avoid tons of commercial foods (and almost all restaurant food) or just make piece with the fact that stuff is going to slip by despite your best efforts.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my friend gave me fermented garlic honey, what do i do with this?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

BA says "You can drizzle this honey over pepperoni pizza (trust!), serve alongside spicy fried chicken, use in a glaze for grilled pork or fish, and/or add a few spoonfuls to savory cornbread."

Seems like it could be especially nice in a sauce for fried meats

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

spoonful a day cures cancer, influenza, dropsy, covid, hiccups, and keeps your skin young and smooth according to a lot of insane ppl in fermentation groups

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

Make some fried eggplant chips and drizzle it over.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think the gelatin/isinglass thing is moderately annoying since the underlying product can be completely vegan, except for the one clarifying agent they add in.

The rennet thing is a little trickier in my mind. On one hand for calf rennet you can clearly link slaughter to the production of the cheese. On the other hand, cows need to get pregnant almost every year and give birth in order to produce milk, so is it that much different if cheese uses a vegan rennet? I don’t want to make you stop eating cheese since it’s delicious (I definitely partake in cheese) but I figured I’d offer a different interpretation of it if you’re considering the ethics of cheese.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

spoonful a day cures dropsy

Oh thank gently caress I’ve been wondering how to get rid of that creepy clown that’s been following me around.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
poo poo like rennet, cheese and leather were large contributing factors to me sacking off being vegetarian as raised by my family and just starting to eat meat, because I couldn't see the ethical sense in it. I either needed to go fully vegan or just start eating meat sometimes so I went that route.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just don’t eat meat and avoid anything with gelatin in it, and even though I eat cheese I figure it’s fine because I’ve gotta draw the line somewhere. It’s not a religious or spiritual choice or anything and I’m not perfect but good enough is okay with me.

And yes in the EU lots of food have strict requirements for what can be called what. It’s not a champagne unless it’s produced a specific way in a specific region in France etc.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Eeyo posted:

The rennet thing is a little trickier in my mind. On one hand for calf rennet you can clearly link slaughter to the production of the cheese. On the other hand, cows need to get pregnant almost every year and give birth in order to produce milk, so is it that much different if cheese uses a vegan rennet? I don’t want to make you stop eating cheese since it’s delicious (I definitely partake in cheese) but I figured I’d offer a different interpretation of it if you’re considering the ethics of cheese.

It is tricky and a good example of why it's hard to draw a hard line without saying "gently caress it" and going full vegan (a valid choice if you're able). It may be theoretically possible to extract rennet from a cow without harming it but that's not how it happens in practice.

Butterfly Valley posted:

poo poo like rennet, cheese and leather were large contributing factors to me sacking off being vegetarian as raised by my family and just starting to eat meat, because I couldn't see the ethical sense in it. I either needed to go fully vegan or just start eating meat sometimes so I went that route.

I'm only a few years into it and I'm still trying to figure out where I fall on edge cases like those. Still got a leather case on my phone and I'm still not sure how I feel about that. Throwing it away won't bring the cow back. Probably just won't buy any new ones in the future.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just don’t eat meat and avoid anything with gelatin in it, and even though I eat cheese I figure it’s fine because I’ve gotta draw the line somewhere. It’s not a religious or spiritual choice or anything and I’m not perfect but good enough is okay with me.

Yeah, for the sake of going to impromptu business dinners (if those ever come back) I know there will be situations where I'll have to order a pasta dish and just hope the cheese used vegetable rennet or that a rice dish didn't use chicken stock or the like.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I will absolve you of intermittent violations, my child. No vegan police will strip your powers.

I am vegetarian ~6 days a week, which is great because like you mention, special occasions can be tricky otherwise. Being "mostly vegetarian" already accomplishes a great deal of the "voting with your dollar" impact, given that marketers will notice the increased consumption of meat alternatives and THAT is what shifts industries. A not-quite-vegan day every now and then won't spoil that impact.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

SubG posted:

I don't know where you are, but in the US you're most likely to find dark sesame oils that are designed for finishing/flavour but which aren't suitable as a high temperature frying oil.

The attached photo shows the sesame oil I've been using for wok fried rice. Label says its good up to 350F, which is honestly probably low for the wok. This thread is making me consider alternatives for sure.

On a related note, I recognize I harbor a prejudice against canola oil on the basis of health. Am I misinformed? Am I the recipient of problematic programming to believe that olive oil and coconut oil are better options?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 12, 2021

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Wtf is wrong with canola oil

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You certainly can’t use olive oil in a wok, you need a plain vegetable, peanut or sunflower oil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lawnie posted:

canadian

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jam2 posted:

I recognize I harbor a prejudice against canola oil on the basis of health. Am I misinformed? Am I the recipient of problematic programming to believe that olive oil and coconut oil are better options?
afaik, yes
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/

quote:

canola oil is a safe and healthy form of fat that will reduce blood LDL cholesterol levels and heart disease risk compared to carbohydrates or saturated fats such as found in beef tallow or butter. Indeed, in a randomized trial that showed one of the most striking reductions in risk of heart disease, canola oil was used as the primary form of fat.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

McCracAttack posted:

It is tricky and a good example of why it's hard to draw a hard line without saying "gently caress it" and going full vegan (a valid choice if you're able). It may be theoretically possible to extract rennet from a cow without harming it but that's not how it happens in practice.

I'm only a few years into it and I'm still trying to figure out where I fall on edge cases like those. Still got a leather case on my phone and I'm still not sure how I feel about that. Throwing it away won't bring the cow back. Probably just won't buy any new ones in the future.

Yeah of course everyone could and should make their own decisions about what makes sense to them ethically, and I'm not saying being vegetarian generally is dumb because if you're thinking consciously about what you're consuming while not eating any meat then you're certainly helping to reduce the world's reliance upon it and the associated carbon footprint.

Just for me personally I realised I had nothing against the actual concept of consuming or using meat/animal products, just with the volume and nature of the production. So I figured I'd have an easier time transitioning to occasionally eating meat but making sure I buy high quality and well sourced produce, as opposed to going fully vegan which I think would be miserable for me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I think it can develop off-flavors when heated to high temperatures. It's usually described as a fishy aroma and I've noticed it on occasion.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Olive, coconut, and canola oil are all perfectly fine as long as you use them for what they're good for. Don't deep fry in olive oil. Don't use coconut oil in a salad dressing. Don't scorch the poo poo out of canola oil.

I will plug peanut oil for wok use, though. It holds up very well to the searing heat and has a flavor profile that goes really well with most Asian-type stir fries.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

touché!

Weltlich posted:

I will plug peanut oil for wok use, though. It holds up very well to the searing heat and has a flavor profile that goes really well with most Asian-type stir fries.

I'll try this and report back!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jam2 posted:

The attached photo shows the sesame oil I've been using for wok fried rice. Label says its good up to 350F, which is honestly probably low for the wok. This thread is making me consider alternatives for sure.

On a related note, I recognize I harbor a prejudice against canola oil on the basis of health. Am I misinformed? Am I the recipient of problematic programming to believe that olive oil and coconut oil are better options?

I think most people use "sesame oil" as shorthand for "toasted sesame oil" and that's why the warnings about big flavors and smoke points

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What's the best way to cook a rump roast between an oven and a crockpot? It's totally trimmed of fat and I really don't want to ruin this much meat by making wet meat floss or leather.

E: I should add that I'm only asking because I want to sear it in a hot oven and then roast low for 2.5 hours but my roommate insists I'm going to ruin it that way. He thinks a crockpot would be better and he paid for it.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 12, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BrianBoitano posted:

I think most people use "sesame oil" as shorthand for "toasted sesame oil" and that's why the warnings about big flavors and smoke points

Yeah when I think of sesame oil I think of this stuff:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't used my turkey fryer in over a year now, which means I've got a couple gallons of very lightly used peanut oil in my basement. They haven't been above the mid-60s (F) or in direct sunlight even once in intervening time. Can I hope to reuse it for the turchetta I'm going to attempt this weekend?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I haven't used my turkey fryer in over a year now, which means I've got a couple gallons of very lightly used peanut oil in my basement. They haven't been above the mid-60s (F) or in direct sunlight even once in intervening time. Can I hope to reuse it for the turchetta I'm going to attempt this weekend?

If it's not cloudy and it smells ok, then it's probably ok. There aren't many biological organisms that will live in oil, so what you're most concerned about is general breakdown of the oil itself. But if it sniffs ok and looks ok, then you're good to go.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Weltlich posted:

If it's not cloudy and it smells ok, then it's probably ok. There aren't many biological organisms that will live in oil, so what you're most concerned about is general breakdown of the oil itself. But if it sniffs ok and looks ok, then you're good to go.

Agreed. Smell is way subdued while cold though. Take a little bit and warm it up on the stove then smell it. If it still smells like you want to dunk food in it, you’re golden.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's solid advice. Also of note is that even if the oil is a little cloudy cold, it will often clear up when warmed. If it's hot, clear oil that doesn't smell like a fish died, then fry away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Torquemada posted:

You certainly can’t use olive oil in a wok, you need a plain vegetable, peanut or sunflower oil.

I would also add Rice Bran oil to this list.