Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Level 70 is good enough for 99.9% of content.

Okay then. I'm just worried that because I'm at AR 49 the damage reduction everyone's gonna start taking will get really bad once enemies jump to being level 90 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

No Wave posted:

It's just a standard crit, so 50% at a minimum.

Oh, so crit rate is pointless if you're hitting weak points then? I thought it stacked with crits somehow.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's no AR50 trap. I get mad when posters here talk about it because it's not real and is just a way for players who started earlier to make newer players feel scared because it gets them off for some reason. I am AR52 and everything dies extremely fast.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm not completely sold on running only Crit DMG on Ganyu, incidentally. Her AoE shots are extremely likely to be dependent on Crit Rate and not just adopt the crit status of the first shot, and her Burst won't auto-crit. If you can somehow set up Blizzard Strayer then it'll be fine, but if you're relying on weakpoint hits with her then she becomes an extremely niche DPS who loses most of her value whenever fighting something that doesn't have one (albeit becomes an ICBM when she is).

No Wave posted:

There's no AR50 trap. I get mad when posters here talk about it because it's not real and is just a way for players who started earlier to make newer players feel scared because it gets them off for some reason. I am AR52 and everything dies extremely fast.
I'm 2k AEXP from AR55 and eager to get to WL8 because things only gain +2 levels and I can finally start farming world bosses again with a 100% Gladiator/Wanderer 5* drop rate. Bring on the level traps, I say.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, I've got Diluc up to 70/70 and I don't have enough pyrovine materials to ascend him again yet. Should I work on that first or just gear him up with artifacts first? I've got 4/5 decent Crimson Witch artifacts already so should I upgrade those first and then start worrying about talents? I don't really know the order I should take for these things.

unless your artifacts are seriously underleveled or mismatched I would ascend him one more time, since he gets another crit bonus in addition to the other stat increases at 70/80. the pyro regisvine is the easiest content you need to keep running, might as well get that out of the way early so the artifact/talent domains are less painful later

e: you're also gonna use the gladiator artifacts you get from the vine

padijun fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 11, 2021

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

The artifact system is unironically perfect. I get usable pieces in under a week, whales resin refresh for months. They'd be crazy to change it.

I agree completely. If I could just max out every artifact with 20%+ crit substats then the game would be beyond trivial. I still grit my teeth when I roll flat def 4x, but...it's more of a long term thing, and that's fine. I use 4 star pieces when I need to, off-set ER sands pieces on my supports when I need to. I had ATK % on my Klee's goblet for a month or two. Still wrecked things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

padijun posted:

unless your artifacts are seriously underleveled or mismatched I would ascend him one more time, since he gets another crit bonus in addition to the other stat increases at 70/80. the pyro regisvine is the easiest content you need to keep running, might as well get that out of the way early so the artifact/talent domains are less painful later

e: you're also gonna use the gladiator artifacts you get from the vine

Okay then. I only just got him like two weeks ago or something so I put all my effort into getting him caught up with levels first before the artifacts. Those are all still level 1 since I only just got them today and yesterday.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I don't think the artifact grind is perfect only because it is pure RNG, so even with years of grinding you could end up not getting a piece you want. I'm fine with grinding, but each run should help me further to a goal and I don't think getting fodder artifacts is enough. Expensive rerolls would be fine.

Essentially a pity system for artifacts.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Clarste posted:

What exactly is the damage multiplier for hitting a weak point anyway?

No Wave posted:

It's just a standard crit, so 50% at a minimum.

Hitting a weak point gives you an extra +50% DMG that is additive with the other dmg sources like a goblet. It does not go in the crit modifier.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hackan Slash posted:

Hitting a weak point gives you an extra +50% DMG that is additive with the other dmg sources like a goblet. It does not go in the crit modifier.
People say that, but I don't think it's true. I just took my Fischl out and against a shielded electric fatui was dealing 454 damage body shots and 881 crit damage. This lined up perfectly with my 93% crit dmg.

Then, I put a feather with fatter crit dmg on and was dealing 435 body shots, 912 head shots. This lined up with my new crit dmg of 109.5%.

EDIT: This testing also led me to believe that aimed body shots cannot crit, which I was totally unaware of.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 12, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Messenger has a kind of an absurd weapon effect but being locked to a 3* weapon does no favors for its actual stats.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

No Wave posted:

EDIT: This testing also led me to believe that aimed body shots cannot crit, which I was totally unaware of.

Huge if true.

Edit: Seriously, it sounds like we will need to do a lot of testing to understand basic game mechanics that no one has had a reason to care about until now.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sucrose... R5 Dragon Slayer Tales or R1 Sac Fragments?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Sac Fragments is her best support weapon full stop.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I like the warmer-colder minigame. There have been worse events.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

No Wave posted:

What about the mobs like the water boss. How much do their levels scale? Because that's the real concern. It's not world mobs that are the concern, it's bosses becoming a total nightmare to face.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Clarste posted:

Huge if true.

Edit: Seriously, it sounds like we will need to do a lot of testing to understand basic game mechanics that no one has had a reason to care about until now.
I was wrong about the no crit on body shot. It's weird, I went dozens of shots without critting vs body against a fatui, then I went and crit ten shots in a row vs a hillichurl. Well, as you said, we'll see if Ganyu ends up making these mechanics clearer.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 12, 2021

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Heran Bago posted:

I think I tried the glider event once and decided it wasn't for me

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

I was wrong about the no crit on body shot. It's weird, I went dozens of shots without critting vs body against a fatui, then I went and crit ten shots in a row vs a hillichurl. Well, as you said, we'll see if Ganyu ends up making these mechanics clearer.

Yeah I was gonna say I saw a video with a close to 100% crit rate amber hitting body shots that were critting

And I remember a leak video of Ganyu critting a fire slime for like 30k and thats all body

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Archonex posted:

What about the mobs like the water boss. How much do their levels scale? Because that's the real concern. It's not world mobs that are the concern, it's bosses becoming a total nightmare to face.

8 levels, but level-based damage penalty in this game is already barely relevant/exorbitant to overcome. i feel like the worst-case scenario you'd run into is needing to slap some sort of crappy +16 flower on supports so they aren't insta-gibbed but that's something you could say about Oceanid before AR50.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Archonex posted:

If you have serious issues with oceanid at wl6 then it will get significantly worse, yes. The regisvines and cubes are still trivial, the wolf is probably harder but I can't tell. If you are really worried about oceanid just farm him before going up, the rewards for the rest of the bosses go up slightly so in the longer run it will be worth it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I've always found Oceanid way harder than anything else, wolf included. Also the Oceanid's difficulty is all over the place depending on what it summons and in what combinations, Boars and Crabs? Easy! Cranes and dive bomb birds? Ugh...

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of artifact luck, I have just found my first 4-star +elec cup (off-set of course) for my Keqing :party:

At AR 52.

I'll take it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I saw a video with a close to 100% crit rate amber hitting body shots that were critting

And I remember a leak video of Ganyu critting a fire slime for like 30k and thats all body

FWIW I have used Tartaglia for shooting (As long as you're not using a hydro artifact he can do appreciable damage on the downtime. 3-4k damage per shot is not something to scoff at. On top of that any enemy he hits that has riptide active does 3 or 5 (or something like that) more hits. Which is excellent for automatic reaction building.) in snipe mode and body shots definitely can crit.

That being said, I think it's better to do weak point hits if you can manage it. They seem to do slightly more damage and definitely have a massive crit boost that can put you over the 100% crit cap if you're even slightly well built. Likewise, it seems like every headshot is a crit by default. Which for certain builds makes snipe extremely powerful as a downtime between skills. On top of that certain weapons like Prototype Crescent give you absurd damage and stat boosts if you can consistently pull off crit attacks.

That does make me wonder if extra crit over 100% counts towards damage like in Warframe and other games.

Also, I suspect that if Ganyu's snipe mode is any good that Prototype Crescent (The one that gives a 36% and 10% move speed boost at nearly no refinement, and has an insane damage boost at max refine.) is going to be a BIS for her for most people. It can do bonkers damage and help in avoiding attacks.

AParadox posted:

If you have serious issues with oceanid at wl6 then it will get significantly worse, yes. The regisvines and cubes are still trivial, the wolf is probably harder but I can't tell. If you are really worried about oceanid just farm him before going up, the rewards for the rest of the bosses go up slightly so in the longer run it will be worth it.

I don't have severe issues with it. It's just that it's such a crapshoot whether or not the game is going to gently caress me.

I've gotten nothing but crabs, flying birds, and crabs and flying birds together (With those storks sitting on the water. :argh:) in at least one run. And the thing just kept spawning hydro mimic bombs at the end of the round.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The worst part of Oceanid is how much time it wastes floating around killing platforms when that does not even seem to affect the fight at all. It feels like a mechanic they left in from something else because they already programmed it. "Oh no, that platform way over there is gone, I guess I need to beat up crabs on this platform now, vs the identical one that sunk". It is the most difficult miniboss, but that is more an indictment of the other bosses that are easier than a random hilichurl camp. You pretty much need to try to take damage from the electro or air cube once you learn their pattern.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anemo cube is also an annoying timewaster for no reason. if i collect all the orbs during its death phase it should just die like the other two, not revive and make me kill it again.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

The worst part of Oceanid is how much time it wastes floating around killing platforms when that does not even seem to affect the fight at all. It feels like a mechanic they left in from something else because they already programmed it. "Oh no, that platform way over there is gone, I guess I need to beat up crabs on this platform now, vs the identical one that sunk". It is the most difficult miniboss, but that is more an indictment of the other bosses that are easier than a random hilichurl camp. You pretty much need to try to take damage from the electro or air cube.

It's literally there to gently caress you over in a really lovely and cheap way. If you're getting lots of PBAOE enemies like the crabs or other enemies that require lots of movement to avoid getting two or three shotted (like the birds or storks) then you're liable to have low stamina.

If you don't pay attention to where you're going, or their knockbacks hit you at the edge of the arena, or you lag and the game decides to hit you with an attack you didn't see coming you'll fall off into the water and initiate the drowning animation. It will then put you back at the entrance to the boss arena, resetting the fight and forcing you to do it from scratch.

This is also to gently caress you over if you get a bad spawn or don't bring a specific team. Since storks will hop backwards into the water if they spawn onto an outer platform and make it impossible to hit them depending on your team comp.

What's worse is that the platforms not being counted as solid ground disables geo constructs so that they do damage and immediately despawn. So you can't just use Ning in the fight to counter the worst aspects of it (And she would be an excellent counter to the three most bullshit enemy types) without losing out on her geo shield and upgraded burst.

Edit: In addition to this, you can apparently dodge the hydro mimic bombs by jumping into the water at the right moment. I've heard that if you go under the water right when it explodes it misses you. No clue if that's true. But again, this is a fantastic way to gently caress the player over if they sprint to the edge of the arena to pre-emptively avoid the hydro mimic bomb when a sinking phase starts. Since if you use up your stamina and can't get back to the platforms in time you reset the fight.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 12, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heran Bago posted:

same it's nice to explore an old area and get various meaningful resources for it. no timer, no stress, and very intuitive design.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Osmosisch posted:

Speaking of artifact luck, I have just found my first 4-star +elec cup (off-set of course) for my Keqing :party:

At AR 52.

I'll take it.

My experience might be different because I spent the vast majority of my fragile resin on artifacts, and I could have also been lucky, but looking at my 5* goblets I have:

3 Physical (1 on set)
2 Pyro
3 Electro
4 Cryo
6 Hydro (might feed 1-2 into the machine)
4 Anemo
4 Geo

So, literally just one on set, but lots of options. I have 4 stars that on set though. If you need on-set ER or EM then you can compromise and just do an ATK goblet. Maybe the CRIT hats are a big stumbling block for people? Once again, I am likely lucky, but on my main carry I have level 20 artifacts in everything I want, and on my supports it's all level 16, with a few 4*s thrown in. I did save most my fragile resin until AR45, so that could also be a reasonable factor. I didn't do any resin refreshes.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nakar posted:

In terms of set, I'm assuming Wanderer's if you're not running a freeze comp, which I think is likely only going to be truly viable with Mona or a big-brained big-walleted Tartaglia.

Mona is not viable in freeze comps. Her E is terrible for hydro applications since it only lasts 4 seconds but has a 12 second cooldown, and it does pretty terrible damage to boot. Even sac frags can't save her in a freeze comp. Enemies only stay frozen very briefly, like a second or so, so constantly swapping to reapply hydro isn't really a reasonable thing to do. Freeze comps have lovely DPS since they have no reactions, so to do work they rely on strong off-field damage (that means Xingqiu, and preferably at least C2) and the ability to just stand there and do damage without interruptions. Also, the damage you do have relies on stacking crit damage to exploit all the free crit rate you get from the cryo set bonus plus the cryo resonance, but those bonuses requires the target to be actually frozen to give full value. If you don't have good hydro uptime nor good off-field damage the comp just doesn't work. I mean, unless you do something like put a really well geared Venti on there to do all the heavy lifting for you, but then what is the point?

Also, freeze comps are kind of awkward to build. They're very rigid in that you basically have bring two cryo characters (for the resonance crit bonus), one hydro and one anemo (for VV). If your anemo or hydro character can't heal then the second cryo needs to be either Diona or Qiqi, and neither of those contribute much in the way of damage. You can run healer-less though if your freeze uptime is very high and you're fighting enemies that are actually freezable - I cleared abyss floor 11 with a second team consisting of Kaeya/Chongyun/Xingqiu/Sucrose, but it was pretty finicky. That floor really rewards crowd control over damage output though, and of course it also has a 75% cryo damage bonus.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 12, 2021

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I finally got a pyro dmg goblet for the witch's set so now I can do other stuff, I guess. Maybe I'll remind myself how bad the drops are for the talent domains or something.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Razeam posted:

I finally got a pyro dmg goblet for the witch's set so now I can do other stuff, I guess. Maybe I'll remind myself how bad the drops are for the talent domains or something.

Once you hit AR45, farming artifacts is the game. Don't have full +16 5* sets for at least 8 characters yet? Back into the mines you go. Once that is done the +20/alternate set/substat optimization begins and it never ends. Farming talents is very straightforward, you can calculate with decent accuracy how long it'll take you to get everyone's relevant talents up to whatever level you want (except at talent levels above 6 when it's the weekly boss drop RNG that bottlenecks you) since you're guaranteed some green and blue books that you can craft into higher tier ones. Artifact farming is infinite.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 12, 2021

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can absolutely crit with bodyshots, I do it with Childe all the time farming Noblesse.

Archonex posted:

Maximum level for world bosses is like 93 at WL8. WL7 to WL8 is only 2-3 extra levels for most enemies.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Archonex posted:

I don't have severe issues with it. It's just that it's such a crapshoot whether or not the game is going to gently caress me.

I've gotten nothing but crabs, flying birds, and crabs and flying birds together (With those storks sitting on the water. :argh:) in at least one run. And the thing just kept spawning hydro mimic bombs at the end of the round.

This is half the reason why I still haven't farmed it for XQ, even though I'd love to use him for a vaporize team. The last few times I ran it, I got the flying birds on every single spawn. Even using Qiqi to heal through the damage and provide come CC isn't enough sometimes if the RNG decides to screw you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After significant frustration, I somehow managed to do that challenge thing to kill the three Abyss Mages in 30 seconds.

The only reason I succeeded is those VV artifacts I recently farmed up. I spent a while trying to fight them while the weather was raining like a dumbass, which resulted in me getting frozen constantly.

edit: I'm not even sure exactly what I did right. The time it worked I just somehow managed to get both fire and electric* ticking alongside the anemo swirl damage in a whirlwind of chaos (with Sucrose ult) that got all 3 of the mages to like 1/5 health (after which I finished them with Keqing).

* I think; I'm colorblind and can't easily tell the difference between electric text and water text, so it might have been water

Tsyni posted:

I agree completely. If I could just max out every artifact with 20%+ crit substats then the game would be beyond trivial. I still grit my teeth when I roll flat def 4x, but...it's more of a long term thing, and that's fine. I use 4 star pieces when I need to, off-set ER sands pieces on my supports when I need to. I had ATK % on my Klee's goblet for a month or two. Still wrecked things.

It's kind of nuts how powerful substats have the potential to be. Like the same substat that can give you 50 ATK could alternatively give you +10% crit rate or like 30% crit damage.

edit: Or worse, raw HP, which is probably the absolute worst possibility.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 12, 2021

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Go through the world level increase dungeon, fight off all the level 90 monsters, get to the hypostasis at the end, the hypostasis goes "nurk", vanishes after its first attack, and locks me in the room for seven minutes. :waycool:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the hydro resist potion is a game-changer if you're having trouble with oceanid

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Reiterpallasch posted:

the hydro resist potion is a game-changer if you're having trouble with oceanid

Cannot recommend this enough, especially if your DPS is squishy

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Potions are cheap as hell, you may as well use them on anything even vaguely troublesome. I mean it's what they're there for.

Oceanid still loving sucks though, and I say that even while relatively trivializing it with Klee/Chongyun/Fischl/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Trying to think of a 2nd core team for Abyss. Currently, my "main" team is Chidle, Fisch, Sucrose, and Bennett. Since Childe is C1 with a Skyward harp I just got the mats to push him to 80 but I have a good stockpile of weapons 4 * weapons and 1 Amos bow, level mats, and ascension materials so I should be able to boost whoever I need to at least 70/60.

At the moment I am leaning towards a Diluc / Chong but unsure about the other 2 slots.