Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

drunken officeparty posted:

As someone who must explore every pathway, the fact that I have to leave behind a bunch of lockstone things and places with statue bodies in the way because the game hasn’t provided me the items for them is crushing my soul

The statue bodies are there specifically to lock off things that you'll come back to later. there are exactly enough Flagrant Branches to unfreeze every statue and they're usually blocking secrets or alternate paths. (the one place that's not quite as interesting wrt statues is Shaded Woods, there's some that just give you a treasure chest or a key, but there's still exactly enough for you to unfreeze every statue)

Lockstones generally unlock smaller secrets but are much more plentiful. sometimes they do relatively minor stuff like giving you a pool of water (to wash off poison or to buff fire resistance) while sometimes they hide a small secret area. There are exactly two areas (grave of saints, doors of pharros) where they're mostly there to set up traps for a weird PvP covenant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I used one branch in a sewer for an estus upgrade shard, and then later on used one on a guy to get to the 3 lanky robot boss fight and now I’m afraid to use any more because what would I have done if I had wasted the second one. Soft lock the game because I wouldn’t have been able to get to the boss??

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I used one branch in a sewer for an estus upgrade shard, and then later on used one on a guy to get to the 3 lanky robot boss fight and now I’m afraid to use any more because what would I have done if I had wasted the second one. Soft lock the game because I can’t get to the boss??

No. You can’t get softlocked with fragrant branches. There’s another way through Bastille that doesn’t require fighting Sentinels

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I used one branch in a sewer for an estus upgrade shard, and then later on used one on a guy to get to the 3 lanky robot boss fight and now I’m afraid to use any more because what would I have done if I had wasted the second one. Soft lock the game because I wouldn’t have been able to get to the boss??

The only place where you might not "optimally" use the branches is in the Shaded Woods, but that just means you'd have to scrounge elsewhere for a branch. There's one statue there that drops a key, one that guards a chest that has a second branch in it and therefore is basically a freebie, and one that blocks a miniboss fight. Just look those up if you're worried about wasting them there. Everywhere else you find a petrified dude, he's blocking something useful like a bonfire, an estus shard, or an alternate path.

As far as the lockstones goes, outside of the Doors of Pharros and Grave of Saints, you can plug the lockstone in wherever and be fine. There's a couple nice items hidden in the Doors of Pharros but they're wholly optional and you can look them up if you want. I don't think it's worth using on the lockstones that just spit water into a pool, but again those are obvious if you want to avoid using them.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Nuns with Guns posted:

The only place where you might not "optimally" use the branches is in the Shaded Woods, but that just means you'd have to scrounge elsewhere for a branch. There's one statue there that drops a key, one that guards a chest that has a second branch in it and therefore is basically a freebie, and one that blocks a miniboss fight. Just look those up if you're worried about wasting them there. Everywhere else you find a petrified dude, he's blocking something useful like a bonfire, an estus shard, or an alternate path.

As far as the lockstones goes, outside of the Doors of Pharros and Grave of Saints, you can plug the lockstone in wherever and be fine. There's a couple nice items hidden in the Doors of Pharros but they're wholly optional and you can look them up if you want. I don't think it's worth using on the lockstones that just spit water into a pool, but again those are obvious if you want to avoid using them.

Aren't there a bunch of lockstones that just make you wet (which is very slightly useful), one of which in Earthen Peak gets you wet with poison instead? (Maybe you only get poisoned if you use it before you drain the poison)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

feelix posted:

Aren't there a bunch of lockstones that just make you wet (which is very slightly useful), one of which in Earthen Peak gets you wet with poison instead? (Maybe you only get poisoned if you use it before you drain the poison)

Until you burn the windmill it is poison, after it heals and cures

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

feelix posted:

Yes? I said so right there and I said I don't recommend using them. They heal you and provide heat protection for a short period of time, which is only really useful when you want to suicide run for poo poo in the lava. It's obvious which ones those are since they have a raised tub right under the pharros face.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Sorry, I have the attention span of a goldfish and only read like half of your post

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

You in fact found the alternate path into the Bastille. If you hadn't had the branch, you would have gone around the "normal" way (imo more people probably find the lost bastille that way than the more "standard" route there, since the shortcut is right there while the 'proper' way has you leaving Majula by one of the other exits)

There is no way to lock yourself out of unfreezing all the statues. There are exactly enough to unlock every statue by the end of the game.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I still have all of the boss souls because even though I probably won’t use them to make the weapons, what if

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I still have all of the boss souls because even though I probably won’t use them to make the weapons, what if

lmao yup, same

I even beat the last boss(es) twice on my first playthrough because I needed to re-record footage and I still haven't done anything with those souls.

e: I made the Warped Sword and I think that's it for boss weapons

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I made the Smelter Demon Sword on the recommendation of a friend and I can confirm that it's really cool. I probably would have been better off with a regular sword but this one explodes! :science:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
is it possible to get from the Tower Apart bonfire (Pursuer drop off) in Lost Bastille to Straid without killing Ruin Sentinels? I'm trying to get my twink to the Agape Ring and would like to avoid No Man's wharf if possible.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Reality Protester posted:

is it possible to get from the Tower Apart bonfire (Pursuer drop off) in Lost Bastille to Straid without killing Ruin Sentinels? I'm trying to get my twink to the Agape Ring and would like to avoid No Man's wharf if possible.

AFAIK no in either version; the shortcut past the Sentinels is in the locked off area that you can only get to through the Wharf entrance. The Ruin Sentinels also award too many souls in regards to the Agape Ring range, anyway: you gotta go through the Wharf no matter what. Luckily Dragonrider + Flexile Sentry combined is still enough not souls to exceed the 30k breakpoint on their own (26,000 total). If you've already killed Last Giant, Pursuer, and/or more than 13,999 souls-worth of common enemies you're boned though and gotta restart.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 12, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Reality Protester posted:

You can do Bastille without Ruin Sentinels or without NMW, but I don’t think you can do both at the same time.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Yeah, I dont think I can. I tried looking for a path on another character and there's no path to the dogs area without opening the gates by McDuff, accessible from the other side only.

not boned exactly, but my twinking will not be as effective.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like I'm in a significant minority for happily munching down boss souls. I do check to make sure they don't make anything interesting first, but 99% of the time it's nothing I want. And in 2 it's especially nbd since you can always pop an ascetic and grab another one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
During the periods of time where I was playing dark souls a lot, I'd eat lots of boss souls cause I was rerolling so often to do stupid stuff. But on my first character? heaven forbid I lose the opportunity to make a pyromancy I'm never going to use on my big STR guy.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Powerstancing the bone fist loving owns. Just running around hadoukening these wizards and priests to get more twinkling titanite to make a stronger punch

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
yeah I think it's the same hoarding instinct that made me avoid using elixers and megalixers against safer sephiroth, because what if there's an even BIGGER and BADDER final form after this and I need them then??

e: I love playing unarmed characters, I think my next DS2 character will be a punchman

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

How Rude posted:

Powerstancing the bone fist loving owns. Just running around hadoukening these wizards and priests to get more twinkling titanite to make a stronger punch
This

Also I never even use normal Souls items

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Souls items are even worse than regular RPG items because you've got a high chance of using a VERY RARE AND VALUABLE item in a boss fight, still losing and having lost the item for good. At least in a regular JRPG the item is only lost in a winning run, so you can use a megalixir or soma against a superboss without 'wasting' it

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah I think it's the same hoarding instinct that made me avoid using elixers and megalixers against safer sephiroth, because what if there's an even BIGGER and BADDER final form after this and I need them then??

e: I love playing unarmed characters, I think my next DS2 character will be a punchman

I have so many items that I either don’t know what they do, don’t need what they do, or won’t use because what if I need a slightly boosted sprint regen later??? I only have 3 of them !!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The weird thing about Lost Bastille is that the "correct" entrance appears to be going through No Man's Wharf because then enemies are actually facing you, but I think most people get there by going through the Forest of Fallen Giants.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I went into DS2 mostly blind just last year and i find you just have to trust the developers with these things. If you read descriptions for items and keep rough stock of their soul price or how and where you find them its way less stressful.

Pharros lockstones are the big one, you learn early on in ds2 that they are rare and potentially have big rewards but you just have to accept it as part of the game, don't stress over it and keep making progress where you can.

Or just look at a wiki. Nothing wrong there that's how i beat DS1.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

multijoe posted:

Souls items are even worse than regular RPG items because you've got a high chance of using a VERY RARE AND VALUABLE item in a boss fight, still losing and having lost the item for good. At least in a regular JRPG the item is only lost in a winning run, so you can use a megalixir or soma against a superboss without 'wasting' it

I think he meant the out and out soul items like Soul of a Fallen Warrior or whatever. (Which I find a bit :psyduck: but hey you do you, Simon.)

But yeah, DS2 especially went overboard with the highly limited/highly esoteric consumables. You could probably intuit a few specific places where having particular protections/resistances/whatever could be useful, but there really was never a time where I went "aha, good thing I have a stack of 8 <thing that boosts your bleed resistance>, now I can even the odds!" and even when I did there's almost always a ring that does the exact same thing. It's especially bad because, y'know, it's Dark Souls. You can't pause the game to go digging around in your bag of holding for just the right answer to the giant flaming hell dog that's barreling down on you or w/e. (And this general need for foreknowledge also limits their effectiveness in a PVP context - the one place where having the full spectrum of responses to various effects would make the most sense.)

And then once you get past all of that bullshit, oops you died to the boss anyway so bye bye precious Bright Bug you only get like, 12 of in the entire game.

I genuinely don't know what you'd actually use the DLC balms for. :shrug:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 12, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The balms are wild because apart from the strength one there’s literally only five of each in the entire game. What the gently caress lol. At least the brightbugs are so insanely OP that it makes sense to be limited. (There’s 26 of them btw. 18 from Melentia!)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

John Murdoch posted:

I think he meant the out and out soul items like Soul of a Fallen Warrior or whatever. (Which I find a bit :psyduck: but hey you do you, Simon.)

Yeah I meant those, I was also a bit exaggerating: I use them to top off if I'm just missing a few Souls for a levelup, if I need to repair something but just died, and sometimes early on if I want to use a weapon that needs a lot of stats now.

Otherwise, I pop them all if I do a NG+ run for final level ups and armor upgrades/material buys, that's when I realize I have stacks of 20 +3000 Souls items or whatever :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goblin week posted:

The balms are wild because apart from the strength one there’s literally only five of each in the entire game. What the gently caress lol. At least the brightbugs are so insanely OP that it makes sense to be limited. (There’s 26 of them btw. 18 from Melentia!)

I keep wondering if there's some wild edge case trick where being able to bump up a stat by 5 would do something cool and I've just got nothing. By the time I hit the DLC +5 strength would've boosted my damage by like...a low single digit, I think? Because of all the filtering down to attack modifiers and capping and scaling wonkiness. I guess they might be a boon if you're doing a SL1 run?

And there aren't 26 Bright Bugs, there's only like 12 because you don't ever think to buy any until 2/3rds of the way through the game so Melentia just eats most of them and then you forget they exist amongst all the other inventory clutter anyway. :negative: The bigger point is that they're clearly meant to be their attempt at an easy mode mechanic and it was implemented about as wonky as you'd expect it to be.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

How Rude posted:

I tried to get into bone fists but they're so slow after dual caestuses. (Caestii?) ...I forgot where I was going with this punching owns.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The plural of caestus is caestus

In general in Latin, a plural should only end in -ii if the singular ends in -ius, not just -us.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

When I did a dual Caestus run, I named my character Max Punchman. That was one of my favourite runs of the game I've ever done.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Large bottomless pit in a dead end path, filled with green poison mist, no ladder down, 6 different messages all saying death ahead, multiple blood pools at the rim

jumps down the hole, dies

:eyepop:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what happened to the OP? I think I remember him from the goon invasion of Astro Empires.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Large bottomless pit in a dead end path, filled with green poison mist, no ladder down, 6 different messages all saying death ahead, multiple blood pools at the rim

jumps down the hole, dies

:eyepop:

Stock up on lifegems from melentia to counteract the poison gas (1 lifegem will heal fast enough to mostly negate the damage and 2 will outheal it) and use a torch if you can't find your way through the thick poison fog. That area is tiny but absolutely filled with good loot so it's worth combing through it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

Stock up on lifegems from melentia to counteract the poison gas (1 lifegem will heal fast enough to mostly negate the damage and 2 will outheal it) and use a torch if you can't find your way through the thick poison fog. That area is tiny but absolutely filled with good loot so it's worth combing through it.

I made it through that place and the real level after it and killed medusa. It wasn’t hard but holy gently caress was it annoying. The combination of poison everything, the loving ninja mobs all the time, and a castle built like an mc escher painting. I spent more time running around in circles than I did fighting. Not to mention I ignored a fog gate thinking it was the boss fight in order to get all the loot first only to find out behind it was a single platform with a bonfire. What the hell are fog gates why is that there

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You should go back to where you can walk up to the windmill uh, blades or whatever, and use a torch on it

It won't help you for the boss fight anymore but it'll be a fun surprise, and something to remember for NG+ and on

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I thought you could only use them when you were near death yourself due to the item description :shepface:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Gaping Ring: achieved. Soul Memory, 99251. I'm sure I could do better but Forest of Fallen Giants is still popping up orange so this should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I bet I've never used 3/4 of all consumables in all souls games. I just forget about them.