Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ice Hockey seems pretty intense but it's not really on in the UK and theres no national connection so I've never sat down and really watched a game or read the rules or whatever, I don't even know how long an ice hockey game lasts,

same with basketball, well apart from not being intense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
College basketball is way more interesting to watch than professional.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Leavemywife posted:

I agree and wish the NBA did the 20 min. halves and not quarters. It is also a lot less predictable and has more different play styles now than the NBA.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
College football is the same kind of way, although I still like the NFL while I find the NBA unwatchable. Stuff like the spread option/"fun and gun" offenses can be more fun to watch than the traditional NFL offenses.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hai:

e: also I've heard serious football nerds, even from the US, argue that canadian football is the better, more competitive version of the sport. I have no idea what the differences between NFL and CFL rules are tho

CFL is more focused on wide-open offense from my understanding. The end zones are 20 yards deep instead of 10 and offensive players can get a running start before the snap. There's also a way to score 1 point on a punt somehow and I believe they play three downs instead of four.

RE: college vs. professional sports: College's mix of future all-world athletes and guys who will go on to sell insurance for a living makes for more exciting football, but much worse basketball. It's true that the NBA has become extremely homogenized but the only thing college ball has on it as far as quality of product is atmosphere, and during this season that's nonexistent.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Jan 10, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Cape canaveral is good, if only because you can buy astronaut ice cream there.

“Astronaut ice cream is good” is an unpopular opinion and one which I share.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Washington seems appealing to me because it apparently is always raining and damp there. And Minnesota obviously because it's cold and the people eat lots of cheese.

Believe it or not we do have a dry season

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

I love college basketball but can’t watch the NBA at all. I watch the NFL more than college football but that’s mostly because UConn is bad enough no one wants to air their games. Until last fall I used to go to at least one game a year though.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Ice Hockey seems pretty intense but it's not really on in the UK and theres no national connection so I've never sat down and really watched a game or read the rules or whatever, I don't even know how long an ice hockey game lasts,

same with basketball, well apart from not being intense

It rules and it’s even better in person, its a very satisfying sounding game.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

doverhog posted:

Washington seems appealing to me because it apparently is always raining and damp there. And Minnesota obviously because it's cold and the people eat lots of cheese.

Wisconsin has better cheese and beer than Minnesota. Minnesota's main thing is being a Midwest state with a moderately sized city split into two cities for no real reason

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

warez are cool and people who tell you off for not wanting to pay for windows are loving nerds

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/gramscidney/status/1347994175896244225?s=20

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Platystemon posted:

“Astronaut ice cream is good” is an unpopular opinion and one which I share.

Absolutely correct.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I wish, too many people are open about their weird sex preferences and desires.

What's worse are the people who are really open about their mainstream, common sexual preferences and desires

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Badactura posted:

What's worse are the people who are really open about their mainstream, common sexual preferences and desires

Yes my wife and I are part of the PFC, or pussy-loving community. We enjoy loving, dick-in-pussy style and it is very much a part of our core identity. I'm going to discuss, apropo of nothing, the details of my pussy-loving lifestyle and I'd appreciate you not shaming me for doing so.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think discussing your sexual activities is uncouth. And you should believe me too because my bomb rear end girlfriend just gave me an amazing blowjob and you don't see me going around the internet bragging about that awesome blowjob to strangers like some weirdo.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes my wife and I are part of the PFC, or pussy-loving community. We enjoy loving, dick-in-pussy style and it is very much a part of our core identity. I'm going to discuss, apropo of nothing, the details of my pussy-loving lifestyle and I'd appreciate you not shaming me for doing so.

You joke but there are 100% people who love talking about how much pussy they get and how much they love pussy, I've met them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Badactura posted:

I think it's perfectly okay to never talk about things you do naked with anyone who wouldn't also be fine with being naked around you. And this is apparently weird and I'm being weird for thinking it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

warez are cool and people who tell you off for not wanting to pay for windows are loving nerds

It’s easy now to pay 10-15 bucks for a legit windows key, which makes warez feel kind of pointless for Windows. I’d rather drop the little bit of money and save the time/aggravation for a legit copy that’ll update.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s easy now to pay 10-15 bucks for a legit windows key, which makes warez feel kind of pointless for Windows. I’d rather drop the little bit of money and save the time/aggravation for a legit copy that’ll update.

Unfortunately everything is going backwards now that everything is aggressively becoming monthly service, so in a future that'll be 5 bucks per month and if you stop paying you will get hosed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Canada is exactly like the US but with healthcare, idk why people think it's anything else

Except I'm pretty sure they don't masturbate over (and using) guns like the south and midwest

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's number seven on the list of guns per 100 persons. Right behind Serbia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's number seven on the list of guns per 100 persons. Right behind Serbia.

35/100 vs 120/100.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Astrofig posted:

Except I'm pretty sure they don't masturbate over (and using) guns like the south and midwest

Lemme introduce you to a lil place called "the prairies"

And also a lil place called "upstate New York, upper New England, Pennsyltucky, eastern PNW, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming"... don't be a fuckin jastiger.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I grew up on the prairie and everyone had hunting weapons and nobody shot each other. I guess because everyone always just saw them as tools and "why would I want to hurt anyone".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

I grew up on the prairie and everyone had hunting weapons and nobody shot each other. I guess because everyone always just saw them as tools and "why would I want to hurt anyone".

This is also true of the Texas prairie. The NRA brainrot affects a tiny minority of gun owners in the US. Which is not to say it isn't a problem.

My broader point is that people unfamiliar with both think that living in Canada is some vastly different experience in terms of lifestyle or culture compared to the US, and it just isn't. Evidenced, perhaps, by you seemingly thinking the average rural gun owner in the US dreams of shooting people?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 12, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
People not in the South love to broadly generalize the South based on the worst excesses of its stupidest, most vocal right wing minority because years of gerrymandering and voter suppression have put that subset in charge.

This broad generalization is then used by that right wing minority to us vs them their way into attack ads that further entrench their power. This harms the very people that the non-Southern leftists/Libs claim to care about or be defending.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Rural gun owners are the normalest gun owners. It's suburbanite gun owners with $5000 worth of accessories who are the hosed up ones.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yeah, it's the people we need to control. Especially the ones with the stupid rear end tacticlol stuff.

"Hurf a durf, they're the same as this other model, why are you afraid of the scary black gun?"

Because the people who choose those over the normal ones are the fuckups.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

People not in the South love to broadly generalize the South based on the worst excesses of its stupidest, most vocal right wing minority because years of gerrymandering and voter suppression have put that subset in charge.

This broad generalization is then used by that right wing minority to us vs them their way into attack ads that further entrench their power. This harms the very people that the non-Southern leftists/Libs claim to care about or be defending.

Also, if we're talking about politics, even the reddest states are 30% blue and vice versa. Hell, 25% of Brooklyn voted for Trump so slow down with the generalizations about huge, extremely diverse regions.

On top of that, it's pretty gross to see people go on about how terrible the South is when it is the area with the highest concentration of POC and poverty.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

contemporary AI productions like that text generator and neural networks extending songs and stuff are impressive i guess but not that impressive. what it's doing essentially is using trial and error to create combinations of variables until it finds one that works and gets rewarded for it, but the AI itself is still clearly "blind" and doesn't have any kind of holistic understanding of what it's doing at all. it can't act on a conceptual level, it can't really create from nothing and it only has human motivations behind everything it does

i also dont think deepfakes are that much of a threat. a generation will grow up that will just know that these things exist and will learn to identify them, for people who grew up with the internet they are more often than not obvious to spot and unsubtle enough in content to not really be convincing except to stupid and old people, people have been making convincing photoshops for over 20 years and everyone here would be able to spot one even if it's really well made, at least most of the time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's usually the pixels that give it away

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

All this gender poo poo in the Spanish language is bullshit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

All this gender poo poo in the Spanish language is bullshit.

it actually makes perfect sense and you're just dumb

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it actually makes perfect sense and you're just dumb

You think that suitcases are girls and cats are boys.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

nonsense...all cats are girls and all dogs are boys. this is just science. [1]

[1] me, age 8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

I actually only understand romance language gender because my family spoke french to my growing up

But actually it helps to distance your brain from thinking of it as "gender"- that's just an unfortunate archaic name. Grammatical gender has no correlation with real gender, and is more like categories of nouns. Think of it as a more complicated version of things called "a x" and things called "an x." At least french and spanish only have the two. German has three, and actual living human women are referred to with the neuter gender rather than the feminine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I actually only understand romance language gender because my family spoke french to my growing up

But actually it helps to distance your brain from thinking of it as "gender"- that's just an unfortunate archaic name. Grammatical gender has no correlation with real gender, and is more like categories of nouns. Think of it as a more complicated version of things called "a x" and things called "an x." At least french and spanish only have the two. German has three, and actual living human women are referred to with the neuter gender rather than the feminine.

None of that makes it OK.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

None of that makes it OK.

Yeah it makes it less OK because it means it's a mechanism that conveys absolutely nothing. It's there just to add complexity into something that is objectively better the simpler it is (language).

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Languages is weird and the French doubly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Finnish refers to everything and everyone as it, so jerry's ahead of the game here it's true.