Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

the only two gestures that are good are swipe scrolling and pinch to zoom.

unfortunately every tech company, including apple, took exactly the wrong lesson from that innovation and instead of learning "digital interfaces can benefit from physical metaphor" they now think "wow gestures are just inherently better than buttons"

:hai:

e: swipe snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i hope they never phase out idevices with home buttons entirely.. i just want the little button that takes you home, i dont wanna fling poo poo around

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

material design is hilarious because it's bad but mostly because everyone's adopting it just in time for google to get bored and do a new design system with blackjack and hookers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

material design is hilarious because it's bad but mostly because everyone's adopting it just in time for google to get bored and do a new design system with blackjack and hookers

it was also funny to watch Google "adopt" material design in their apps without any meaningful coordination, so every app has an interface that worked in a uniquely awful way.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

it was also funny to watch Google "adopt" material design in their apps without any meaningful coordination, so every app has an interface that worked in a uniquely awful way.
it's literally impossible to have all your software have a truly identical design unless you 1. start from a single technology stack and don't change it for several years and 2. are willing to do massive [like 30-40% more front end work] amounts of remediation

the problem with most design systems is that they don't prioritize, they just say "do all of it [or as much as you can]" and without not only governance but also resources and time for compliance you get, well, every technology company

e: not that it's a good goal anyway, stuff that does different things can and should look different

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 4, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

it's literally impossible to have all your software have a truly identical design unless you 1. start from a single technology stack and don't change it for several years and 2. are willing to do massive [like 30-40% more front end work] amounts of remediation

the problem with most design systems is that they don't prioritize, they just say "do all of it [or as much as you can]" and without not only governance but also resources and time for compliance you get, well, every technology company

e: not that it's a good goal anyway, stuff that does different things can and should look different

it feels like UI is a subgroup of marketing these days, especially if it's from a company that only produces one app. meeting the branding guidelines is more important that producing something intuitive

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
never mind there was just a "gently caress up your phone" option that I had to turn off. now I have my soft button friends again

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
for a while i was blissfully unaware of the android gesture pill. didn't they try to make that mandatory on later pixel phones

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

this is dire

stevewm posted:

I've ordered 4 Pixel 4a's at work as they where on promotion through Verizon (99 cents)... Either the QA on them is non-existent, or I had some really bad luck. I've had to send everyone of them back.

#1 had a volume button break minutes after the user activating it - warranty swapped this one with Verizon

#2 warranty replacement for #1 had a partially dead touch screen out of the box. An entire strip of the screen about 1 inch down from the top was completely dead to touch.

#3 had a partially dead touch screen out of the box, similar to #2, but in the middle of the screen.

#4 had a defective speaker out of the box. Worked but was distorted and with very low volume.

Guess I won't be ordering any more Pixel hardware for a while!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
who is the oem for the pixel 4a?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

who is the oem for the pixel 4a?

foxconn

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
huh. so goog is just paying for the absolute bottom tier manufacturing and assembly then

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

huh. so goog is just paying for the absolute bottom tier manufacturing and assembly then

previously they had others like LG and HTC design and build the phones. if it’s made by Foxconn it probably means google did the design, and they’re in charge of building them. so of course they didn’t know how to test them properly on the line and didn’t catch these failures.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
im using a 4a and it's fine

for now :ohdear:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

im using a 4a and it's fine

for now :ohdear:

grats on winning the lottery

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
since a chrome update, typing a keyword for searching requires you to click the "use this search engine" popup in the address bar, requiring you to take your hand off the keyboard thereby defeating one of the main benefits of having a custom keyword search in the first place. thank you google.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

carry on then posted:

this is dire

Yet they always suggest and look forward to buying another pixel regardless the qc issues /subpar specs that have plagued the series since the second one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only good androids are sornys

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sony's current "compact" phone costs nine hundred and fifty dollars

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so like apple prices then

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the iphone 12 mini starts at 700

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

Love the naming scheme

Sony Xperia 5 II

Sony Xperia 1 II

Sony Xperia 5

Sony Xperia 1

Sony Xperia XZ3

Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium

Sony Xperia XZ2

Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

which is ridiculous, but not quite as ridiculous as the nonsense assumption "smaller phone => budget hardware".

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I will only get a sony if sony releases another psvita/phone hybrid!11

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
got this in my email today:

https://blog.fitbit.com/2021-update/

quote:

I’m writing today to let you know that Fitbit is now officially part of Google. It’s an incredibly exciting moment for us as a company and for our Fitbit community of users around the globe.

When Eric and I founded Fitbit 13 years ago, we did so with a simple, but bold idea: to make everyone in the world healthier. Since shipping the original Fitbit tracker in 2009 to now having sold more than 120 million devices in over 100 countries, this mission has never wavered. Instead, millions of you joined that mission, and made Fitbit a movement that transformed lives. In some cases, we heard from our users that we even helped save lives. Together, we’ve taken 275 trillion steps and logged over 15 billion hours of sleep.

This is just the beginning because becoming part of the Google family means we can do even more to inspire and motivate you on your journey to better health. We’ll be able to innovate faster, provide more choices, and make even better products to support your health and wellness needs. On our own, we pushed the bounds of what was possible from the wrist, pioneering step, heart rate, sleep and stress tracking. With access to Google’s incredible resources, knowledge and global platform, the possibilities are truly limitless.

I have no doubt that this acquisition will create so many opportunities. But I also want you to know that many of the things you know and love about Fitbit will remain the same. We’ll stay committed to doing what’s right, to putting your health and wellness at the center of everything we do and to offering a no-one-size-fits-all approach with choices that work across both Android and iOS.

The trust of our users will continue to be paramount, and we will maintain strong data privacy and security protections, giving you control of your data and staying transparent about what we collect and why. Google will continue to protect Fitbit users’ privacy and has made a series of binding commitments with global regulators, confirming that Fitbit users’ health and wellness data won’t be used for Google ads and this data will be kept separate from other Google ad data. Google also affirmed it will continue to allow Fitbit users to choose to connect to third party services. That means you’ll still be able to connect your favorite health and wellness apps to your Fitbit account. These and other commitments by Google reinforce why Google is an ideal partner for Fitbit who will continue to put our users first and help further our mission to make everyone in the world healthier.

Thank you for letting us be part of your lives and your health journey.

Sincerely,

James Park

CEO, President & Co-Founder

love 2 have an advertising company know my fitness level

how long do you think it'll take for fitbit to be shut down? my guess is 5 years.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

crepeface posted:

how long do you think it'll take for fitbit to be shut down? my guess is 5 years.

I got the OG pebble watches when they were on kickstarter and I loved having to go weeks at a time without plugging it in.

Now, I had to get a fitbit because my pebble (2nd gen, actually, since the 1st gen was unusable) started getting lcd streaks and I figured that since fitbit acquired pebble then I might as well be a good consumer schmuck and switch up

now I am going to have the worst of both worlds because e-paper lcd watches are just going to f'ckin disappear and I'll have to just get an apple watch or something that will have to be charged twice a day

at least the included pulse oximeter can help detect covid19 complications

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i forgot to charge my fitbit and it died about a month ago. ever since, the time is off by ~20 minutes and it cannot sync. the settings app has disappeared from the fitbit and the manual factory reset key shortcut isn't working.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

i forgot to charge my fitbit and it died about a month ago. ever since, the time is off by ~20 minutes and it cannot sync. the settings app has disappeared from the fitbit and the manual factory reset key shortcut isn't working.

Plug it into a powered USB port for added stimulation.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

crepeface posted:

Get a Samsung Gear and tell us how many ads show up per day when you try to read the time

or even worse, how many feedback requests you get when you try to read the time

I hate whenever I open an app and the first thing I see is a feedback request. I'm opening this stupid app to do something, what makes you think I want to send feedback right now? I open the starbucks app to pay for coffee, because the barista is waiting. I open the dunkin donuts app to pay for donuts because the cashier is waiting. I open the yelp app because I'm hungry right now. App developers need to find a better time to bother someone for feedback.

not like this is an android only problem though

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i love my apple watch op. i charge it on my nightstand while i sleep but it can go 2 days on a single charge sometimes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sb hermit posted:

I hate whenever I open an app and the first thing I see is a feedback request. I'm opening this stupid app to do something, what makes you think I want to send feedback right now? I open the starbucks app to pay for coffee, because the barista is waiting. I open the dunkin donuts app to pay for donuts because the cashier is waiting. I open the yelp app because I'm hungry right now. App developers need to find a better time to bother someone for feedback.

even worse is loving nagging you to update the app
bitch I just want to get the loving loyalty club barcode to scan!
(serves me right for not just taking a screenshot of it, sure.)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pretty sure this has happened before except it was apple from android or something: https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/13/samsung-inadvertently-uses-iphone-to-tweet-galaxy-unpacked-promo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

happens all the time from celebs paid to tweet how much they love their new (lg, samsung, motorola, whatever,) and how indispensable it is, from their iphone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nobody in marketing uses an android

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, it's always from the iphone. nobody really likes android that much. it's mostly an ad driven OS from what i've heard nowadays anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nowadays?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

i love my apple watch op. i charge it on my nightstand while i sleep but it can go 2 days on a single charge sometimes

yeah mine can go 24 hours easy. not sure where "have to charge twice a day" comes from

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

crepeface posted:

i think you mean nest fitness will be shut down in 5 years

Endless Mike posted:

yeah mine can go 24 hours easy. not sure where "have to charge twice a day" comes from

probably the original estimated usage time of 17 hours, but that is a heavy estimate and my watch 3 still does about 2 days at a time and i wear it as a sleep tracker and use it to wake up in the morning

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I can mostly deal with Android's weird things but the only thing that drives me up the wall is the occasional requirement to unlock with the passphrase instead of my fingerprint

I always unlock my phone at home at least once per day with a passphrase and I still get accosted with this poo poo

I'm going to try rebooting the stupid phone once per week and see if that fixes it

I'm actually tempted to go look at the source code to figure out what drives this cursed logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sb hermit posted:

the occasional requirement to unlock with the passphrase instead of my fingerprint

1) I had an old galaxy s5 that would do this increasingly often as it was dying, it would crash without actually rebooting to the SAMSUNG logo

2) apple devices do this too, turns out that even if you don’t power them off they’ll occasionally reboot userspace to keep everything clean