Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Start by explaining how one “abuses” Panglacial Wurm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Start by explaining how one “abuses” Panglacial Wurm

While searching your library that contains Panglacial Wurm, you can begin to cast it during the resolution of the search effect, giving you the opportunity to activate mana abilities. A couple of weird mana abilities do other things besides produce mana, the simplest of which being Chromatic Sphere. So while searching if you like the top card of your library, you can begin casting panglacial wurm, activate chromatic sphere as part of paying the cost, draw the card, and then not have enough mana to actually cast it and such undo the action but still have activated the chromatic sphere.

I know Sylvala is a much more straightforward version of what chromatic sphere does and is a commander but I'm wondering if there are other similar effects on commanders that may be better?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Panglacial Wurm is a card you talk about playing in various contexts but you never actually play in any context. The best case scenario is a 7 mana 9/5. The worst case is a 7 mana 9/5 that you have a rules argument about.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. Panglacial Wurm is a thought experiment; not a deck theme.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm thinking about tossing together a mardu deck with the restriction of having lurrus as a companion since there was a 2cmc black partner in legends to pair with akiri. My quick draft is here https://www.moxfield.com/decks/QKJtPiwoP0uQfDxPRaaxzg and it's missing nobrainers like bob and moxen and vamp tut because I don't have them. Looks to win with ad nauseum into a relic-warder/animate dead loop with a drain effect on the field, with akiri beatdown as a backup plan and miara providing some card draw with changelings (these are probably the first to go when cutting). Any ideas on fun directions to take this deck?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I play Panglacial Wurm in my Yeva deck because it's the only place I can play him. sure, he's bad, but sometimes having a 9/5 trampler out of loving nowhere is the solution to your problems. he's hidden inside every fetchland, just waiting for a chance to happen!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Aranan posted:

Panglacial Wurm is a card you talk about playing in various contexts but you never actually play in any context. The best case scenario is a 7 mana 9/5. The worst case is a 7 mana 9/5 that you have a rules argument about.

There might be some really weird dumb combo you could do with it that involves cascade and getting it back into your library. A serious rube golderberg type thing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Aranan posted:

You swapped "best" and "worst" in this post.

So what you do is, you have Archmage Ascension turned on, Selvala in play, and Panglacial Wurm in your deck. You crack a fetchland. While searching, you cast Panglacial Wurm. Then, in order to pay for Panglacial Wurm, you activate Selvala. As part of that ability, you search your library thanks to Archmage Ascension, and shuffle your library, while you're still searching it for the fetchland. According to the rules, you are now still supposed to be looking at all the cards in your library, while also randomizing them. Once you figure out how to do that, you end up not having enough mana to cast the Wurm, and have to undo its casting. As part of that, you can't undo the activation of Selvala since it resulted in cards moving from libraries to hands. But you still are required to put the Panglacial Wurm back in the library. Where does it go? Top? Bottom? Player's choice? Same position that it was before, even though the rest of the cards are reordered (this is probably the most justifiable answer)?

It doesn't matter because you're about to shuffle your library for the fetchland, still. But if you also have KCI, Mycosynth Lattice, Chromatic Sphere, and a second Panglacial Wurm in your deck, you can sacrifice the Archmage Ascension and then crack the Sphere as part of casting the other Panglacial Wurm, and end up drawing a card before you shuffle for the fetchland, at which point the exact location of the first Wurm becomes important - do you draw it or some other card? (Unfortunately we're now outside the realm of EDH 'cause you gotta have two Panglacial Wurms in your deck.)

(the real answer is "wizards should errata chromatic sphere and selvala to be activated only at instant speed")

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DontMockMySmock posted:

You swapped "best" and "worst" in this post.

So what you do is, you have Archmage Ascension turned on, Selvala in play, and Panglacial Wurm in your deck. You crack a fetchland. While searching, you cast Panglacial Wurm. Then, in order to pay for Panglacial Wurm, you activate Selvala. As part of that ability, you search your library thanks to Archmage Ascension, and shuffle your library, while you're still searching it for the fetchland. According to the rules, you are now still supposed to be looking at all the cards in your library, while also randomizing them. Once you figure out how to do that, you end up not having enough mana to cast the Wurm, and have to undo its casting. As part of that, you can't undo the activation of Selvala since it resulted in cards moving from libraries to hands. But you still are required to put the Panglacial Wurm back in the library. Where does it go? Top? Bottom? Player's choice? Same position that it was before, even though the rest of the cards are reordered (this is probably the most justifiable answer)?

It doesn't matter because you're about to shuffle your library for the fetchland, still. But if you also have KCI, Mycosynth Lattice, Chromatic Sphere, and a second Panglacial Wurm in your deck, you can sacrifice the Archmage Ascension and then crack the Sphere as part of casting the other Panglacial Wurm, and end up drawing a card before you shuffle for the fetchland, at which point the exact location of the first Wurm becomes important - do you draw it or some other card? (Unfortunately we're now outside the realm of EDH 'cause you gotta have two Panglacial Wurms in your deck.)

(the real answer is "wizards should errata chromatic sphere and selvala to be activated only at instant speed")

I thought you couldn't deliberately cast things you couldn't pay for.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

pseudanonymous posted:

I thought you couldn't deliberately cast things you couldn't pay for.

You don't know whether you can pay for it or not until you find out that Selvala didn't give you enough mana.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

You don't know whether you can pay for it or not until you find out that Selvala didn't give you enough mana.

Yes, you do? Nothing is going to change between the time you choose to cast the wurm while searching and tapping Selvala, you know how much mana you're going to get by tapping Selvala before you tap Selvala. It's a mana ability so it doesn't go on the stack or anything, so even if you put a creature into play by whenever you tap a creature, it wouldn't resolve until you'd gained the mana.

The greatest power among creatures you control is a known quantity at any given moment when you could activate a mana ability.

Selvala's first ability is an ETB ability, you don't draw the card until the creature enters the battlefield. So you wouldn't get the second search until the wurm was actually on the field, which wouldn't happen at all, because you don't have enough mana to cast that.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Selvala, Explorer Returned, not Heart of the Wilds

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, you do? Nothing is going to change between the time you choose to cast the wurm while searching and tapping Selvala, you know how much mana you're going to get by tapping Selvala before you tap Selvala. It's a mana ability so it doesn't go on the stack or anything, so even if you put a creature into play by whenever you tap a creature, it wouldn't resolve until you'd gained the mana.

The greatest power among creatures you control is a known quantity at any given moment when you could activate a mana ability.

Selvala's first ability is an ETB ability, you don't draw the card until the creature enters the battlefield. So you wouldn't get the second search until the wurm was actually on the field, which wouldn't happen at all, because you don't have enough mana to cast that.

Wrong Selvala, my bad for not clarifying. Explorer Returned. You don't know the contents of the tops of all libraries.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pseudanonymous posted:

Nobody tell them there's 2 Selvalas. :ssh:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

my bad.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
It sounds like the problem is Mana abilities from non land sources.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It sounds like the problem are players who want to hog all their friends time to show off their gigantic brains and possibly get a bright blue ribbon for being the biggest smarty pants at wizard school. It’s a weird rules interaction that only comes up when someone decides to build a deck around highlighting this unique and cumbersome interaction and showing it to their friends and saying “look, isn’t this weird? How does this work, lol!?”

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It seems some people didn't read my earlier post. :colbert:

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

I come here to read about khaldeim in commander discussion and instead it's 14 posts about panglacial wurm and one Bust Rodd post being both right and rude as always.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

It sounds like the problem are players who want to hog all their friends time to show off their gigantic brains and possibly get a bright blue ribbon for being the biggest smarty pants at wizard school. It’s a weird rules interaction that only comes up when someone decides to build a deck around highlighting this unique and cumbersome interaction and showing it to their friends and saying “look, isn’t this weird? How does this work, lol!?”

I mean, you say that and to a certain extent I agree, but isn't that literally how EDH started? A bunch of bored judges who wanted to mix old cards?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

We can argue about how bad my first draft of Obeka is and link a bunch of obscure cards for me to abuse instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Magnetic North posted:

I mean, you say that and to a certain extent I agree, but isn't that literally how EDH started? A bunch of bored judges who wanted to mix old cards?

Yes and no. I have to assume everyone here can tell the difference between “we’d like to play with big, expensive cards that don’t see any play in constructed formats. I equip Basilisk Collar to my Bloodfire Colossus!” and this specific instance in which the hypothetical deck we are discussing doesn’t appear to have any function besides demonstrating a rule that doesn’t quite work.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

At least chains of mephis is a good card, not just a rules discussion printed on a piece of cardboard. Panglacial is more of a trivia thing than something you want to build a deck around.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes and no. I have to assume everyone here can tell the difference between “we’d like to play with big, expensive cards that don’t see any play in constructed formats. I equip Basilisk Collar to my Bloodfire Colossus!” and this specific instance in which the hypothetical deck we are discussing doesn’t appear to have any function besides demonstrating a rule that doesn’t quite work.

One of those old timers must have been running Humility & Opalescence.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Bust Rodd, you're very mad at a joke post. No one is insane enough to sleeve up a deck with the cards I mentioned and try to reproduce that in an otherwise normal EDH game. I was just riffing on Panglacial Wurm and the rules fuckery it can theoretically help cause. Then you invented a hypothetical enemy to get mad at. Chill out, bro.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's honestly not even that weird or crazy of a rules thing. If Panglacial Wurm is in your deck and you reveal it, you can use mana sources that also draw or mill your deck while you're in the middle of searching it, and know what cards you're hitting instead of it being random.

It's only unique because the card only has to be in your library to work, instead of being in a face-up zone.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Infinite Karma posted:

It's honestly not even that weird or crazy of a rules thing. If Panglacial Wurm is in your deck and you reveal it, you can use mana sources that also draw or mill your deck while you're in the middle of searching it, and know what cards you're hitting instead of it being random.

It's only unique because the card only has to be in your library to work, instead of being in a face-up zone.

Seriously they should just errata Panglacial Wurm to "As you're searching your library, you may exile this. If you do, you may cast it the next time you have priority."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It would be the first card to every use the word priority.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Toshimo posted:

It would be the first card to every use the word priority.

The approved way to template this is "whenever you could cast an instant" a la Lion's Eye Diamond.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

So I've got a bit of a rulings question regarding Ezuri, Claw of Progress.

So, for cards like Kalonian Hydra, their base P/T is 0/0 but they enter with some number of +1/+1 counters on them. My question is: do these still count as creatures with power 2 or less entering the field, and therefor trigger Ezuri's first ability?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

serefin99 posted:

So, for cards like Kalonian Hydra, their base P/T is 0/0 but they enter with some number of +1/+1 counters on them. My question is: do these still count as creatures with power 2 or less entering the field, and therefor trigger Ezuri's first ability?

yes, if the number of counters is low enough, but I suspect you mean "a 0/0 enters the battlefield with 3 or more +1/+1 counters" and no, in that case, it entered with 3 or more power

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

serefin99 posted:

If a creature "enters with" counters (or any other change), then that modifies how it enters the battlefield. The Hydra ETBs as a 4/4.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

LordSaturn posted:

yes, if the number of counters is low enough, but I suspect you mean "a 0/0 enters the battlefield with 3 or more +1/+1 counters" and no, in that case, it entered with 3 or more power

Gynovore posted:

If a creature "enters with" counters (or any other change), then that modifies how it enters the battlefield. The Hydra ETBs as a 4/4.

Darn, I thought that might be the case. Ah well, still gonna jam hydras in this deck, they just work so well.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

New Commander bucket list item. Put the new Tibalt in play by having his God side copy a creature that can flip over due to a mechanic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tenasscity posted:

New Commander bucket list item. Put the new Tibalt in play by having his God side copy a creature that can flip over due to a mechanic.

this won't work, i don't think. For several reasons.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kurieg posted:

this won't work, i don't think. For several reasons.

pulling it off will be that much more impressive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can’t just turn him into a Huntmaster of the Fells?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think Tybalt is the exception to the rule, the rules say only dfc cards can transform even if theyre cloned. Since Tybalt is a dfc they should be able to transform if the original cards criteria is met.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think Tybalt is the exception to the rule, the rules say only dfc cards can transform even if theyre cloned. Since Tybalt is a dfc they should be able to transform if the original cards criteria is met.

quote:

711.5. Only permanents represented by transforming double-faced cards can transform. (See rule 701.28, “Transform.”) If a spell or ability instructs a player to transform any permanent that isn’t represented by a transforming double-faced card, nothing happens.
Even if something is a creature on both sides, it has to actually be a transforming DFC and not a modal one to be flippable by a transform effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh right, sorry. I completely blanked that modal and dfc are technically two separate classes.