Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think this is the best walkthrough of how to think through guns in VR (by one of the guys who made Boneworks, the video is 3 years old now jc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrkXK3V2ik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Quest has those analog grip controls. I wonder if you could use grip squeeze to slow down hand movement?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Enderzero posted:

This is exactly what I’m doing and it’s working great. $45 router to act as access point with a cable from the wan port to my cable modem/wifi router which provides internet. Then PC Ethernet to the access point, and the quest as the only device on the access point (which has a different ssid than my cable modem/router). You don’t need wifi 6 so I was pleasantly surprised by how affordable a dedicated router was.

Mind sharing what model you got? I haven’t bought a router since my WRT54G.

Edit: does going PC > access point > main router/modem add any latency to online games I play on that PC if it’s all hard wired?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 12, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lemming posted:

I think this is the best walkthrough of how to think through guns in VR (by one of the guys who made Boneworks, the video is 3 years old now jc)

That is super interesting, thanks for sharing!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Booyah- posted:

I've played a lot of H3VR. View through a scope is jumpy because you're holding your hands out in front of you are an awkward angle and the controllers weigh nothing at all. It's actually pretty much what it's like looking though a high magnification scope while standing with no support at all.

You can either brace your hand against something, or maybe get one of those virtual stocks to attach your controllers to. In H3VR there is a "virtual stock" which lets you push the gun into your virtual shoulder and eliminate some vibration in that one dimension, but otherwise you just have to hold still.

Yeah I noticed the shoulder thing, but in my experience it just made it more awkward to aim lol.

I have been considering buying some kind of stock myself, but if I'm designing a game for lots of potentially other people to play I want sniping to be fun without any special accessories. Seems like hitting anything more than a few dozen meters out is really hard though.

Lemming posted:

Don't get me wrong, I've got most of the gun interactions working fantastically already. Its purely scoped long-range aiming where very subtle motions of tracking becomes a big issue. And it seems like its an issue in other shooters on the market too.

I already have two-handed aiming and it feels really solid. I'm not doing body IK but... I'm not going to try and the gains would likely be very marginal at this point. Everything other than scopes feels perfect.
Does boneworks even have long range scopes? That hover junkers "sniper" has a comically large scope (which is one thing I'm talking about) and its only at like 2x magnification. I'm talking about doing a real sniper rifle where you're like a half mile away using like a 200x magnification scope.

Turning up the number of frames I use for smoothing is a little weird feeling, but may be actually ideal. Its almost like the gun is floating on a gimbal that you're holding. For sniper rifles only, that could be appropriate.

canyoneer posted:

Quest has those analog grip controls. I wonder if you could use grip squeeze to slow down hand movement?

Hmmmm, that's an interesting idea. The problem is "slowing down" is a tough thing with VR, since you're not moving a mouse so much as tracking your IRL motions. I can't slow down the player's arms, so instead it just means making the gun lag behind what you're doing.

But that could honestly work? It'd at least make it easier to line up shots. I could also maybe do a dynamic thing where you press a button to "hold your breath" and that extends the length of the motion smoothing temporarily... that kind of thing is pretty common to sniping in games too.

E: That or I just let you stick the gun on a tripod. Guess I should test that, I was planning on implementing turret guns soon anyways.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 12, 2021

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

Also man, seeing this kind of stuff is getting me excited, it’s like building a new pc after a decade and unlocking all the cool new tech.

Welcome to yet another hobby. I literally did all of this 8 months ago so it’s cool seeing another aviation goon get into it.

Come play fs20 in vr and hang out with us pilots in discord.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Welcome to yet another hobby. I literally did all of this 8 months ago so it’s cool seeing another aviation goon get into it.

Come play fs20 in vr and hang out with us pilots in discord.

I do have FS20 so that would be cool. The thing I’m most excited for is showing it to my buddy who hasn’t seen a legit VR setup and is obsessed with the last gen flight sim.

Poor guy’s brain is gonna pop.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The new Compound modifier is fun but also hard!

I kind wish you could flip the thumbsticks so I could move with my left... I have to stop to reload and then I get hit. But I probably just need more practice.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rolo posted:

I wish Resident Evil 7 would make it to PC, I played it on PSVR and hot dang that was so spooky.

I really thought the VR mode would be released for PC after the PSVR exclusivity, big disappointment.

There were those Capcom leaks about Resident Evil 4 VR coming to Oculus headsets in May 2021 though. God I hope it's true, I loved RE4.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I love Compound but, man, it's the only VR game I have that gives me motion sickness even with all the comfort options and standing still. :( Wish I knew what exactly does it. I still power through it once in a while because it's the only VR shooter I enjoy so far.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lozareth posted:

I love Compound but, man, it's the only VR game I have that gives me motion sickness even with all the comfort options and standing still. :( Wish I knew what exactly does it. I still power through it once in a while because it's the only VR shooter I enjoy so far.

My theory is that kind of pixel-y graphics means you have the anti-aliasing problem cranked up to 11; since the blocks are never quite aligned, and your head always vibrates, I think your perceived motion is exaggerated a bit because the pixels will change more drastically more often than if there were any sort of gradient

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is there an easy way to force Steam to accurately reflect what game I'm playing, or am I doomed to dispaly "OVR Toolkit' or something for all eternity?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PerOlus posted:

Among Us in VRChat sure is goofy, but I'm glad it exists.

Yeah the fall guys clone was pretty easy/underwhelming, but among us translated real well.

A couple weeks ago I had a literal prepubescent child get mad that someone accused him so he just started screaming gamer words at everyone literally as loud as he could.

He got air locked and vote kicked :v:

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Playing Shadowrun on the SNES, or light gun games like Point Blank, while The Crow plays on another tv in the dark and needing to pick up the flashlight to find the play button on the VCR....

I spent some of today finding cart/disc label packs and putting up posters and getting my TMNT sheets on the bed.

EmuVR rules. Hope the guy expands it forever and user content gets added.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marxalot posted:

Yeah the fall guys clone was pretty easy/underwhelming, but among us translated real well.

A couple weeks ago I had a literal prepubescent child get mad that someone accused him so he just started screaming gamer words at everyone literally as loud as he could.

He got air locked and vote kicked :v:

I had a friend get both impressed and mad at me for being absolutely sure I wasn't imposter after watching me go through the motions of looking like I'd been scanned in Medical. Yup, there's my hands following the ring going up... and down it comes again... Totally just happened :ninja:.

I got away with far more than I should've that round, because they kept backing me up with iron-clad certainty that I was clean :allears:.

On a general note if anyone does go try it; Don't bother leaving visual tasks on. Unlike the actual game, the tasks are purely randomized in the VRChat version so it's entirely possible to get most of the crew picking up a visual task and outing the imposters immediately through no fault of their own. Also be very careful if you're gonna kill in the Cafeteria, because if you're in there when the body is reported, you don't teleport and look sus as hell standing somewhere you shouldn't.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 12, 2021

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks for all the answers re: render resolution folks.

I just got done fixing my DAS onto my new Quest 2 and it is so much more comfortable than the Quest 1 with the frankenquest mod. I don't even feel like it needs a counterweight either. It's weird because its not supposed to be that much lighter than the quest 1 but maybe it just hits a better balance with the DAS to make it feel super lightweight and take the burden off the face.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’m pretty much on the verge of buying a quest 2 my only real concern is I don’t have a computer I could use with link (I have a low end pc with windows 7 installed that I use as a plex server it had windows 10 on it but it struggled with doing what I needed it to do so I’m reluctant to put 10 on it and I’m not sure it’d be powerful enough for oculus link, I also have an M1 MacBook Pro but my understanding is this won’t really work)
I’m pretty sure most games I’d want would be available natively however I really want to play the alien isolation VR mod although I’m not entirely sure if I could do that with what I have available to me

Any ideas?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

explosivo posted:

It's incredible. I talked about it a lot in the last few pages since I got my Quest but I expected it to barely work since I have trouble streaming Steamlink in my own house. It's honestly sorcery. I'm constantly floored with how well it works, and I have a 1070. Native oculus games are the better option in a lot of cases but I'm able to play HL Alyx in the room next to the room that has my PC with maybe a few bits of lag here or there but it's very usable. I haven't even plugged in my link cable yet since getting it it works that well, lol.

Edit: I don't know why it's not a selling point, I have to imagine that since the process involves side-loading a different version of Virtual Desktop after purchasing it that Oculus would rather you not have the ability to just buy and play games that are available cheaper on the Steam store, but you can use the link cable so that doesn't even really make much sense either. Maybe it's because performance is dependent on your wireless setup and they don't want to advertise a feature that might not work for most people.

tbh virtual desktop is a way better made environment than oculus is, so i think thats partly why its so popular. its way less of a pain to run steamVR games through VD than it is to boot up the quest UI, boot into the rift UI, boot into SteamVR and anything done out of order fucks the whole process

its insane how much effort it is to get into VR games lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It would be best to upgrade to Windows 10 if possible, and it can tell you out the box if your hardware is lacking. What in particular are you unable to do with Windows 10? The minimum spec hasn't really changed since 7, so the OS itself shouldn't run any worse, so I'm guessing an old piece of hardware or software?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Communist Thoughts posted:

tbh virtual desktop is a way better made environment than oculus is, so i think thats partly why its so popular. its way less of a pain to run steamVR games through VD than it is to boot up the quest UI, boot into the rift UI, boot into SteamVR and anything done out of order fucks the whole process

its insane how much effort it is to get into VR games lol

Questposters have me thinking yall are running on a gamer version of a rube goldberg machine. All I have to do is click a game I want to play :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I had a friend get both impressed and mad at me for being absolutely sure I wasn't imposter after watching me go through the motions of looking like I'd been scanned in Medical. Yup, there's my hands following the ring going up... and down it comes again... Totally just happened :ninja:.

I got away with far more than I should've that round, because they kept backing me up with iron-clad certainty that I was clean :allears:.

On a general note if anyone does go try it; Don't bother leaving visual tasks on. Unlike the actual game, the tasks are purely randomized in the VRChat version so it's entirely possible to get most of the crew picking up a visual task and outing the imposters immediately through no fault of their own. Also be very careful if you're gonna kill in the Cafeteria, because if you're in there when the body is reported, you don't teleport and look sus as hell standing somewhere you shouldn't.

Do people not mime the motions? Also didn't know about the cafeteria bit. That's useful

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It would be best to upgrade to Windows 10 if possible, and it can tell you out the box if your hardware is lacking. What in particular are you unable to do with Windows 10? The minimum spec hasn't really changed since 7, so the OS itself shouldn't run any worse, so I'm guessing an old piece of hardware or software?

It was crashing a lot although it’s possible it may have been an unstable install, I bought the dell pc refurbished with windows 10 installed and when it was being problematic reverted to windows 7 from the manufacturers recovery, it’s an intel i5-3470 with 8gb ram and I’ve added a Gt620 gpu so it’s not exactly powerful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Both those components have Windows 10 drivers, so there shouldn't be any issues upgrading. If it was unstable when you receive it then the Reset My PC feature does a flat reinstall of Windows 10 and can leave your files in place, although you should obviously back everything up first just in case.

These are the minimum spec for Windows Mixed Reality though, and while the CPU requirements are a bit difficult to work out (as it goes down when you use a dedicated GPU over discrete), it sounds like you might be one generation too old?

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-mixed-reality-minimum-pc-requirements

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Marxalot posted:

Questposters have me thinking yall are running on a gamer version of a rube goldberg machine. All I have to do is click a game I want to play :v:

Do people not mime the motions? Also didn't know about the cafeteria bit. That's useful

i like the oculus hardware quite a bit, though the quest 2 is a bit of a step down from my CV1 in a lot of ways, but the oculus software is completely atrocious and has got worse if anything lol. completely insane the "official" wired mode is you going into a second, discontinued version of the oculus software lol

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Both those components have Windows 10 drivers, so there shouldn't be any issues upgrading. If it was unstable when you receive it then the Reset My PC feature does a flat reinstall of Windows 10 and can leave your files in place, although you should obviously back everything up first just in case.

These are the minimum spec for Windows Mixed Reality though, and while the CPU requirements are a bit difficult to work out (as it goes down when you use a dedicated GPU over discrete), it sounds like you might be one generation too old?

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-mixed-reality-minimum-pc-requirements

Yeah I figured as much maybe I’ll wait until I can afford/have room for a beefier pc

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’m pretty much on the verge of buying a quest 2 my only real concern is I don’t have a computer I could use with link (I have a low end pc with windows 7 installed that I use as a plex server it had windows 10 on it but it struggled with doing what I needed it to do so I’m reluctant to put 10 on it and I’m not sure it’d be powerful enough for oculus link, I also have an M1 MacBook Pro but my understanding is this won’t really work)
I’m pretty sure most games I’d want would be available natively however I really want to play the alien isolation VR mod although I’m not entirely sure if I could do that with what I have available to me

Any ideas?

Well, wanting to play X game but not having a gaming pc for it doesn't have any easy solution, beyond the obvious "buy a new computer". VR doesn't even factor in!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The good news is that modern games and modern components are both a lot more resource efficient (practically anything made in the last five years looks and runs better on the same hardware than stuff from ten years ago, I'm looking at you GTA V), so any current gen CPU and GPU, even the low-end ones, will do the job better than your current hardware. If you can stretch to 8GB RAM then you're good to go.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The good news is that modern games and modern components are both a lot more resource efficient (practically anything made in the last five years looks and runs better on the same hardware than stuff from ten years ago, I'm looking at you GTA V), so any current gen CPU and GPU, even the low-end ones, will do the job better than your current hardware. If you can stretch to 8GB RAM then you're good to go.

Maybe I’ll have a look see if I can add a new CPU to my current system I think I’ll just buy the oculus and go from there....I mean at least I can enjoy wireless superhot (I’ve got it on PSVR and drat near throttled myself a few times with the cables)

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I got a RTX 3090 because I don't know and tried a few Linked games on my Q2 at 90hz. HLA maxed out was something else. It was really odd after the past year playing on my many years old system to have it so smooth and clear, like it kind of made me uncomfortable. I've only tried it, Phasmophobia, and VTOL VR. I haven't got VRDesktop set up yet, but am really excited to see how it goes and actually increase visual settings for once.

I've spent way too much on this stuff but am thoroughly enjoying it, though the backlog of games to get through only keeps growing since my free time to play is tiny right now (I've had six days off since early December...).

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Enderzero posted:

Stuff about Quest 2 lenses

This is fair - I know there are inherent tradeoffs with fresnel lenses, chromatic aberration being one of them. Lenses are hard to make, good lenses are expensive and complicated and heavy. I agree that these flaws generally aren't visible in game, which is why I haven't been very worried about it. What does appear to be pretty clear based on all the reddit nonsense is that there's a wide variance in lens quality with the Quest 2, which is not surprising for a comparatively cheap VR headset. The same also occurs with camera lenses, just that most people never pixel peep or compare to know whether they have a 'good' or 'bad' copy. Generally the more 'pro' up the scale you go, the tighter the tolerances become.

It just sucks to learn you might have a 'bad' one, and it's hard to know what's within an acceptable quality range and what is not.

I've tried out attaching an Anker 10000mAh battery to the back of the elite strap with velcro and it works surprisingly well as a counterweight, the whole thing feels lighter, but you do notice the increased inertia when you move your head around and also you look like even more of a dork.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

It seems to vary by setup. My oculus link experience so far has been “plug in cable, press yes on ‘do you want to use oculus link’ button and choose a game

My virtual desktop experience has been “start virtual desktop, wait 5 seconds for it to connect, choose a game”

:iiam:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, wanting to play X game but not having a gaming pc for it doesn't have any easy solution, beyond the obvious "buy a new computer". VR doesn't even factor in!

There are streaming services but I don't think any of those are viable for VR.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Playing Shadowrun on the SNES, or light gun games like Point Blank, while The Crow plays on another tv in the dark and needing to pick up the flashlight to find the play button on the VCR....

I spent some of today finding cart/disc label packs and putting up posters and getting my TMNT sheets on the bed.

EmuVR rules. Hope the guy expands it forever and user content gets added.

This triggered something deep man. Gunna spend some time getting this setup now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the wireless virtual desktop stuff work with native Oculus games? I haven't tried it yet but assumed it did because those games show up in my games list in the VD menu. I might give this Asgard's Wrath game a shot but it seems like the kind of thing best played untethered if possible.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

explosivo posted:

Does the wireless virtual desktop stuff work with native Oculus games? I haven't tried it yet but assumed it did because those games show up in my games list in the VD menu. I might give this Asgard's Wrath game a shot but it seems like the kind of thing best played untethered if possible.

Yep! It's the pro way to play pokerstars because the rift version's visuals are significantly better than the quest.

Note: Some games don't work with VD at all regardless of the platform. There's a list on the VD website. It's not very many but there are some limitations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

Mind sharing what model you got? I haven’t bought a router since my WRT54G.

Edit: does going PC > access point > main router/modem add any latency to online games I play on that PC if it’s all hard wired?

Yeah, no problem! It's a TP-Link Archer C6 - if you get it on amazon it will be called an A6 as they have a special amazon SKU but it's the same product. The other option I was looking at was a Tenda A10U - both are about $42-45 on Amazon.

As for latency addition, I'm not an expert but I imagine it will be pretty small (I'm going to guess 3-5ms based on nothing at all) since you are hooked via ethernet from the access point vr router into your main internet wifi router but don't take this as100% certainty.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Enderzero posted:

Yeah, no problem! It's a TP-Link Archer C6 - if you get it on amazon it will be called an A6 as they have a special amazon SKU but it's the same product. The other option I was looking at was a Tenda A10U - both are about $42-45 on Amazon.

As for latency addition, I'm not an expert but I imagine it will be pretty small (I'm going to guess 3-5ms based on nothing at all) since you are hooked via ethernet from the access point vr router into your main internet wifi router but don't take this as100% certainty.

Wifi latency is generally higher than that, then you have decoder latency (which you also get on link cable). Under perfect conditions you can get around 6-8ms latency from network, though it's not hard to end up at 10ms through little fault of your own.

VD has some good tools to tell you what your waiting on. But usually latency of 30ms or under all together is pretty good and going to be really hard to notice.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pantsfree posted:

This is fair - I know there are inherent tradeoffs with fresnel lenses, chromatic aberration being one of them. Lenses are hard to make, good lenses are expensive and complicated and heavy. I agree that these flaws generally aren't visible in game, which is why I haven't been very worried about it. What does appear to be pretty clear based on all the reddit nonsense is that there's a wide variance in lens quality with the Quest 2, which is not surprising for a comparatively cheap VR headset. The same also occurs with camera lenses, just that most people never pixel peep or compare to know whether they have a 'good' or 'bad' copy. Generally the more 'pro' up the scale you go, the tighter the tolerances become.

It just sucks to learn you might have a 'bad' one, and it's hard to know what's within an acceptable quality range and what is not.

I've tried out attaching an Anker 10000mAh battery to the back of the elite strap with velcro and it works surprisingly well as a counterweight, the whole thing feels lighter, but you do notice the increased inertia when you move your head around and also you look like even more of a dork.

Yeah, I haven't seen the lens quality issues thing but I don't doubt it may be a real thing, I just wanted to try and bridge two ideas - one, that these lenses are not a spot-on general viewing device thing suitable for everything (and many of us don't have experience with what these lens 'should' look like) and two, there could be issues with mass market lens manufacturing quality but just because the lenses are not perfect doesn't necessarily mean you got a bum one. You put it very well, though.

I also added an Anker Powercore 10000mAh PD via velcro on Sunday and it's great. Tripled my battery life, doesn't get in the way at all, and acts as a solid counterweight. I'm now starting to forget it's on my face sometimes.

Compare that to Saturday when I hadn't yet figured out the right way to put on the elite strap (tighten the top strap! most of the weight should be held by the top of your head, not front to back - use that for *lightly* vise-gripping your face to hold it steady) and it was giving me insane forehead pain and making me wonder if I would need to return it.

More notes on the Anker - You want one with Power Delivery - PD so it provides 2.4? 3? amps - enough to keep it slightly charging or very slightly draining. Don't get the Metro at Best Buy and other brick and mortar - get PD! Also don't bother with the PD Redux, it's $10 more for nothing extra. Finally, it doesn't come with a charger, just the brick and a short cable (which is about the perfect length for attaching from the back velcro setup to the quest charge port) - luckily I have an iPhone USB-C fast charger so I didn't need to buy anything extra.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

Wifi latency is generally higher than that, then you have decoder latency (which you also get on link cable). Under perfect conditions you can get around 6-8ms latency from network, though it's not hard to end up at 10ms through little fault of your own.

VD has some good tools to tell you what your waiting on. But usually latency of 30ms or under all together is pretty good and going to be really hard to notice.

Correct, I was talking about PC -> VR Router -> internet router all linked via ethernet, not wireless latency. Like what additional latency is introduced to PC games by the extra access point to internet router connection.

You're exactly right on the wireless latency, I'm getting 7-8 ms network latency steady. 10-11 is also essentially perfect, and then from 11-16ish? VD will start highlighting network latency in yellow.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

So I'm working on the sniper level, I've applied a few frames of aim smoothing and stabilization which helps a lot, and I keep scaling the scope up bigger and bigger (and probably will go even bigger for comfort)

But dang as lock-solid as tracking feels on your hands with sabers or guns, if you're looking through a long-range scope you really notice all those tiny little bumps and sways. Part of that is your hands and part of it is the tracking, and part of that is the challenge of sniping, but it feels pretty rough.

I hopped in H3VR to check how Anton does it, and dang those snipers feel all over the place! Does anybody ITT use scopes in H3VR who can talk about their experience with it? Or in any other VR shooters? I don't own Pavlov (should have bought it last weekend) so not sure if they're using lots of aim smoothing or just letting it be all bumpy or what.

Unless everyone has a heavy gun stock, theres no way around using artificial means to steady the gun in VR. Honestly the best feeling VR guns in general add artificial weight and inertia to guns, even pistols, as the weightless guns always feel off in VR. In real life guns are heavy objects and that weight alone stabilizes things as small hand jitters don't easily overcome the inertia that amount of mass brings, but VR is all like holding laser pointers that jitter and jump all over, and theres no other solution than an artificial one.

Theres been some good discussion on it over the years, lemming posted that one great video, there was another i couldn't find of the robo recall devs discussing the small inertia given to guns in it, but its one of those things that instantly separates polished VR experiences for me, is if the guns feel *good* (even if its ignoring 1:1 mapping with your actual movements) or if they feel like laser pointers.

If you're putting in a sniper stage, i say crank up the artificial weight/inertia of the gun, because in real life holding a rifle against my shoulder and aiming, even when standing, what movement there is through the scope is slow and gradual, not jittery.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Enderzero posted:

Sweet, ordered on Amazon for 42 bones. I also drew a picture to make sure I get the set up right.

Do I have to do A or could I just as easily do B? My concern is that I also play twitchy low-as-possible latency shooters with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Enderzero posted:

Yeah, I haven't seen the lens quality issues thing but I don't doubt it may be a real thing, I just wanted to try and bridge two ideas - one, that these lenses are not a spot-on general viewing device thing suitable for everything (and many of us don't have experience with what these lens 'should' look like) and two, there could be issues with mass market lens manufacturing quality but just because the lenses are not perfect doesn't necessarily mean you got a bum one. You put it very well, though.

I also added an Anker Powercore 10000mAh PD via velcro on Sunday and it's great. Tripled my battery life, doesn't get in the way at all, and acts as a solid counterweight. I'm now starting to forget it's on my face sometimes.

Compare that to Saturday when I hadn't yet figured out the right way to put on the elite strap (tighten the top strap! most of the weight should be held by the top of your head, not front to back - use that for *lightly* vise-gripping your face to hold it steady) and it was giving me insane forehead pain and making me wonder if I would need to return it.

More notes on the Anker - You want one with Power Delivery - PD so it provides 2.4? 3? amps - enough to keep it slightly charging or very slightly draining. Don't get the Metro at Best Buy and other brick and mortar - get PD! Also don't bother with the PD Redux, it's $10 more for nothing extra. Finally, it doesn't come with a charger, just the brick and a short cable (which is about the perfect length for attaching from the back velcro setup to the quest charge port) - luckily I have an iPhone USB-C fast charger so I didn't need to buy anything extra.

I have a power brick in my back pocket with a 5 foot cable. I like that setup a lot.
Reminds me of the old Petzl headlamps with the batteries in a belt pack