Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Na, you could just claim he'd already fenced it. I mean, it's your word against someone literally caught burgling.

He left a nice juicy big fingerprint on the bin he'd used to prop open a door.
They caught him because he shot the couple in the next place he burgled. (Wounded not killed).

French 79
No idea what this tune is like, listening for the first time. (well a minute in and seems okish for now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAv5pLO37mE

Ed: 2 mins in and it's not exactly my cup of tea.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

When I was a wee boy we were on a family holiday to Tenerife and I left the bag containing our game boys and games in a taxi that immediately hosed off. After we got home my dad submitted an insurance claim and told us to lie about what we had so we ended up with two brand new game boy colours and loads of games we didn't have.

I've never quite recovered from that blatant fraud.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spain will be claiming that back in the post Brexit negotiations.

2x Game Boy Color
3x Pokemons
1x Gibraltar

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

EvilHawk posted:

When I was a wee boy we were on a family holiday to Tenerife and I left the bag containing our game boys and games in a taxi that immediately hosed off. After we got home my dad submitted an insurance claim and told us to lie about what we had so we ended up with two brand new game boy colours and loads of games we didn't have.

I've never quite recovered from that blatant fraud.

Well the Game Boy was notorious for causing eye strain due to the lack of backlighting. And while the Game Boy Colour didn't have backlighting either (that wouldn't come along until the Gameboy Advance) it was easier to make things out on screen due to the appearance of colour.
So obviously your Dad was thinking about your eyes when he advised you to go for the GBC.
That's some good parenting there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao if you didn't have the Gameboy torch attachment that plugged into the headphone port and lit the screen.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Problem with lying about stolen stuff which it seems 99%* of people are ok with is that it is then assumed that honest people are lying to.
Rather like CVs. It is assumed that everyone lies on their CV so when you put in a totally honest CV and really do have qualifications stretching from Earth to the Moon and back, and more careers than normal people have hot dinners, everyone assumes you, too, are lying.

*made up percentage based on just about everyone I've ever talked to about this - friends, enemies, colleagues, relatives....

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Well the Game Boy was notorious for causing eye strain due to the lack of backlighting. And while the Game Boy Colour didn't have backlighting either (that wouldn't come along until the Gameboy Advance) it was easier to make things out on screen due to the appearance of colour.
So obviously your Dad was thinking about your eyes when he advised you to go for the GBC.
That's some good parenting there.

I just found my old GBC in my mum's house over Xmas. I thought the screen was dying due to how dark it was, but nope poo poo really was that dark and we just found it acceptable I guess. Disgusting

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sometimes it’s a case of not actually realising how much of value one owns.

I had a bag stolen from the train when coming back from uni a few many years ago, with binders containing my entire collection of dvds, PS2, Xbox and pc games (as well as an amp, leather trousers and a load of other sundries). When the time came to calculate the loss it turned out to be something like 5 grand’s worth of stuff (like 4 years worth of obsessively bought media).

They didn’t believe me, but for once my superpower of being a massive packrat helped me out. The adjuster’s face when he saw an eight foot high pile of empty dvd cases, big old-fashioned pc game boxes and so on was a site to behold.

Ended up getting the full amount back, which i then mostly blew on airsoft gear because I was a loving idiot.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

1x Gibraltar
The rarest pokemon

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I just found my old GBC in my mum's house over Xmas. I thought the screen was dying due to how dark it was, but nope poo poo really was that dark and we just found it acceptable I guess. Disgusting

Hah, I had the vastly superior - wait let me just change the batteries - Atari Lynx, with it's full colour - poo poo, one sec, let me try the Duracells - backlit screen as well as full 16-bit - fucks sake, anyone got any AAs? - performance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

stev posted:

Lmao if you didn't have the Gameboy torch attachment that plugged into the headphone port and lit the screen.

I had donkey kong

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

French 79
No idea what this tune is like, listening for the first time. (well a minute in and seems okish for now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAv5pLO37mE

Ed: 2 mins in and it's not exactly my cup of tea.

I quite like Between the Buttons. It's slow, but nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbb316gp78A

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hah, I had the vastly superior - wait let me just change the batteries - Atari Lynx, with it's full colour - poo poo, one sec, let me try the Duracells - backlit screen as well as full 16-bit - fucks sake, anyone got any AAs? - performance.

I remember my dad gettinf a bag of 200 odd dirt cheap batteries for my Gameboy. They lasted less than an hour and most of the fun came from trying to get to a save point before the battery died.

Then I swapped to a rechargeable battery that only worked when plugged in and ended up on using it when sat next to a plug socket.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Guavanaut posted:

Spain will be claiming that back in the post Brexit negotiations.

2x Game Boy Color
3x Pokemons
1x Gibraltar

I think this was pre-pokemon, but I definitely got Wario Land 3 out of the deal.

stev posted:

Oh I absolutely had the torch/magnifying glass attachment thing so I could play until the early hours of the morning.

Camrath posted:

Yeah and I think this was actually the source of the fraud. Once you total up the devices when purchased (I think they were second hand but I imagine we pretended they were new), the games, accessories etc. it comes to more than you think, and the insurance company (if I recall correctly) were just like "make a list up to that value".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

josh04 posted:

It's just a particularly aspirational variant on "The real, liberal Boris Johnson appears to have gone forever... but what if?"

I've always found it weird that people called Johnson a socially Liberal tory. The man has always been a racist, homophobic, sexist piece of poo poo but because he's so terrible at covering up that he can't keep his dick in his trousers they treat him as if he's only playing a character rather than just being a massive, obvious hypocrite.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's literally that he used to be all that but as a journalist peer, where they're accustomed to excusing it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but he's racist, homophobic, and sexist by writing funny* articles** about the watermelon people rather than dour authoritarian laws, which is what passes for liberal.

* :geno:
** :itwaspoo:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've always found it weird that people called Johnson a socially Liberal tory. The man has always been a racist, homophobic, sexist piece of poo poo

That's liberalism.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

That's liberalism.

I mean yeah but I was talking about the made up version they make for themselves that they're somehow moral and decent people who are beyond racism, sexism and homophobia.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

He's sexist, racist, homophobic etc but doesn't seem to actually hate any of those groups. He just holds ignorant views on them.

That is essentially the Liberal baseline in Britain.

Remember how traumatising it was for the British liberals to be confronted with an actual anti-racist. He was seen as anti-british.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean yeah but I was talking about the made up version they make for themselves that they're somehow moral and decent people who are beyond racism, sexism and homophobia.

He's not actively bringing back Section 28 and that is the lowest of low bars for a liberal Tory.

No don't ask about his attitudes or policies towards trans people.

No don't ask about his attitudes or policies towards ethnic minorities.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

He's socially liberal because he doesn't think it should actually be illegal to be a [insert litany of homophobic slurs]

Communist Thoughts posted:

He was seen as anti-british.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah and I think this was actually the source of the fraud. Once you total up the devices when purchased (I think they were second hand but I imagine we pretended they were new), the games, accessories etc. it comes to more than you think, and the insurance company (if I recall correctly) were just like "make a list up to that value".

Valuation when it comes to the law, is a funny thing.

One of my first cases, I was representing a man charged with a burglary where over €30,000 worth of goods were stolen. The dispute arose (when it came to decide whether or not to keep it in the lowest of court, or punt it upwards to a higher court) around the valuation. Basically the jewellery was probably bought for 1/10th that price. But the owners said that the sentimental value was much higher and that’s where the value of €30,000 came from.

Our argument was
1) The goods were all recovered, so the sentimental valuation is immaterial as you got the stuff back.
2) You are clearly inflating the valuation to suit yourself, and possibly as part of an insurance scam.

On the flip side in another case one of my clients stole a woman’s bag that contained a (relatively) inexpensive amulet. But the amulet contained some of the ashes of the woman’s dead mother, so from a sentimental value the item was priceless.

Where you really see a clash between “Cost Price” versus “Real Price” is mobile phones.
If someone is charged with nicking someone’s iPhone or Galaxy, the price is put at between €800-€1,200.
And that is what those phones cost brand new. But almost no-one buys their phone brand new*, they get them as part of a bill-pay service where the cost is deferred and factored into mobile phone service.
Also if the phone is over a year old, or smashed then it’s value is certainly less. And if you received the listed cash value for said phone (Say an iPhone 8), you’d likely use it to just buy a newer phone. (An iPhone 10. Or X. Or whatever their dumb naming convention goes.)

Basically gadget insurance has some formula for working out how to replace your smashed phone. Where as for the criminal justice system, it’s mostly used as a shorthand for “this person got his phone stolen. It was not a lemon. It’s inconvenient to lose a mobile phone. If the accused is going to put together a sum of money as a way of saying sorry, it should be around but not exactly this much. Please punish accordingly after taking into account the persons background and circumstances and if they brought a bunch of cash to court.”

* = I mean I have. But I except what I do isn’t common. And when I have bought a phone wholesale I usually do it through Amazon.Italy and ended up paying way less than what the High Street would charge for said phone.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just lol if you haven't modded your gameboy with an IPS display and usbc battery pack.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

That food parcel thing seems to be gaining traction. A lot of people are pointing out that the contents parcel that the taxpayer pays £30 for could be purchased for £5 in Asda. The company that provides them says it's not representative of what the parcel should include, but refuse to clarify what it should include and seem to be ignoring the fact that hundreds of examples have been posted.

Marcus Rashford is on it so the DfE is now going to pretend to listen and make a token attempt at improving it (and will probably ask their mates to get £10's worth of food instead of £5).

https://twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1348750545905979397?s=19
Option1: the school gets bollocked for letting kids take photos of the boxes.

Option 2: disinterested intern /work placement dude fills the boxes from sainsburys instead of waitrose.

Giving the contracts to meals on wheels companies wjo already have the infrastructure to provide food for kids would have been better, as was pointed out with the £30 for 5 meals option above. But again, these are people who had Thatcherism drilled into them at an early age, and giving people prepped meals instead of giving them mismatched ingredients to cobble together themselves runs completely counter to their ideology.

Throw in a little swingeing profiteering and lazy dickheads doing the bare minimum effort, and you have your answer to why they're not doing better.

Camrath posted:

When I was renting a few years ago my housemate asked me to estimate how much stuff i had for the contents insurance. He wanted to go for £10k for all 3 people's stuff, until I pointed out that if you estimated £10 to replace each CD and £15 per DVD, i owned at least £20k without even getting started on my books and physical game collection.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty sure Scottish government just directly send cash to parents of free school meal recipients. Seems more efficient than packing up a hamper of wilted veg and baked beans.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

And that is what those phones cost brand new. But almost no-one buys their phone brand new*, they get them as part of a bill-pay service where the cost is deferred and factored into mobile phone service.

There is no distinction here. Get a phone as part of a contract and you're still paying the full retail price of the handset just spread over 18 months. Some of the networks at least (o2) even show the monthly handset cost vs the monthly network service cost separately. If the phone is lost or stolen you've got no ability to escape the contract payments.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I can't tell if it's gaining traction because people care about poor kids or if nobody gives a gently caress about the kids they just don't like to see their taxes spent so nakedly poorly.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Not gonna lie, want one of those posh school meal boxes now.

https://twitter.com/lordpasola/status/1348787897034551297

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1348935472232460288

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I can't tell if it's gaining traction because people care about poor kids or if nobody gives a gently caress about the kids they just don't like to see their taxes spent so nakedly poorly.

I think it's easier to empathise with actual photos rather than a vague discussion about poor standards of food. Even priveledged people can look at that and know it's not enough to keep a small human alive for a week, even if they don't know or care about the true cost of food.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonzo McFee posted:

Could be both? Some from 1, some from 2, sone from both? I’m in the both camp.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Not that you "gotta hand it to them" or whatever, but I'm sure the profiteering on those fancy boxes for lil Tarquin is just as usurious. The difference of course being that Tarquin has other, non-patisserie sources of nutrition.

Also besides the point, but 4 desserts and 2 sandwiches is a good ratio for creating the next generation of bloated Tory oval office

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 12, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pretty sure Scottish government just directly send cash to parents of free school meal recipients. Seems more efficient than packing up a hamper of wilted veg and baked beans.
That's much less efficient, if the money goes via the parents then it only trickles up to tory donors via their shareholdings in various retailers &c, far more efficient to just directly give it to the tory donors in the first place

(see also: :byodame:parents will just spend it on drugs & lootboxes)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The lovely food boxes is really infuriating because it’s not just naked profiteering, it’s naked profiteering at the expense of poor families. Same as it ever was, but it’s rarely so open and obvious.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Four treats for the posh boys and gorls. A milkshake cup full of room temperature tuna for the poor boys and girls.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The executives of the Chinese company who were behind the baby milk formula scandal got dealt with extremely harshly and we should do the same here imo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also besides the point, but 4 desserts and 2 sandwiches is a good ratio for creating the next generation of bloated Tory oval office

They need their Big Dinners.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Valuation when it comes to the law, is a funny thing.

... Basically the jewellery was probably bought for 1/10th that price.
As I understand it, it's not the price you bought it for, it's how much it would cost to buy an equivalent replacement under current market conditions. At least it was with the insurer we had (Churchill or Direct Line IIRC).

Like I say, I have a small set of shelves full of CDs, and if I was to try and replace each of them* I'd be looking at 3 grand just for the CDs, and that's not including rare stuff I'd have to hunt down on eBay that you can't get on amazon / itunes. Pretty sure an insurer would try and say that's bullshit, except I have a high res photo of the shelves where you can see all the labels.

Don't get me started on the books.

* Assuming the whole lot was taken, or they were destroyed by fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

That's much less efficient, if the money goes via the parents then it only trickles up to tory donors via their shareholdings in various retailers &c, far more efficient to just directly give it to the tory donors in the first place

(see also: :byodame:parents will just spend it on drugs & lootboxes)

Was going to say this but Borrovan beat me to it.