Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I work in a DOD hospital and another issue is that a lot of computers don’t actually lock when you pull your CAC, even though they should.

We also have an exception in that we finally got explicit permission to leave our computers at the nursing station unattended because often the computers are so slow to lock/unlock there is no way we could do patient care remotely efficiently or respond to emergencies. Obviously before that policy, people did it anyway and it’s pretty a common habit in the military.

This actually happened to me a couple times, I partially blame it on how SLOW the DOD images are, I was incredibly depressed as to how badly the USAF imaged machines worked, even with good hardware.

Many times, even when it seemed like it wasn't locking after pulling my CAC....it actually was, it was just so god damned slow you could do a bunch of stuff before the screen would lock.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You used to be able to loop a video in Windows Media Player to prevent it from going idle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I got my girlfriend at the time a hardware mouse jiggler (the mouse sat on a pad in an enclosure, the pad rotated underneath of it every so often to cause mouse movement) since the USB ones are by definition sketchy. Her job effectively required answering email for 30 or so minutes each day, after which she would draw or take a nap or something. Truly the most effective use of hospital resources.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Erbe0YrVkAkYT_F?format=png&name=900x900

Sweet Jesus.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah uh, that's not what happened reddit poster

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah uh, that's not what happened reddit poster

What happened then?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

What happened then?
start here and work your way through: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887592&pagenumber=313#post511528017
tldr; massive scraping effort and bypassing of rate limits to grab original video uploads, etc with metadata embedded all archived

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

start here and work your way through: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887592&pagenumber=313#post511528017
tldr; massive scraping effort and bypassing of rate limits to grab original video uploads, etc with metadata embedded all archived

Lol, thats amazing. Thanks

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

$current_company is using a security onion that's been installed on a decommissioned proxmox hypervisor as an IDS. It's the only vm on the box and its setup to have far more than minimum specs, and squert runs really slow at bringing up events.

Normally, I wouldn't really care, but for my sins, I've been told I am now solely responsible for the IDS. So slow as poo poo was fine when I only had to check the thing once a week, but its aggravating at 5-10 times a week. So anyone with experience with SecOnion/SQUERT

my question is: By nature does Squert always take about ten minutes to pull up events in a ~100 user environment[number of events?] If not I'm thinking it's because its on a five year old hypervisor, and see about getting a smaller, but newer box to throw it on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I had to take over an Alienvault one time

Nobody every used it so it was easy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My knowledge of law extends to watching years of Law & Order on A&E as a kid, but would the Parler dataset be admissible in any sort of legal proceedings given the way it was collected? I mean it’s probably a goldmine for targeted observation at the very least, I guess.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Martytoof posted:

My knowledge of law extends to watching years of Law & Order on A&E as a kid, but would the Parler dataset be admissible in any sort of legal proceedings given the way it was collected? I mean it’s probably a goldmine for targeted observation at the very least, I guess.

AFAIK what has been publicly collected would not be able to be directly admitted in court, but as long as the various prosecutors involved get access to the data through standard legal channels the public research will be very helpful in directing them where to look.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

AFAIK what has been publicly collected would not be able to be directly admitted in court, but as long as the various prosecutors involved get access to the data through standard legal channels the public research will be very helpful in directing them where to look.

This is my understanding as well.

The collected data can’t be used in court, but can be used to find corroborating data that is admissible in court.

Or just brow-beating people into confessing on tape.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

This is my understanding as well.

The collected data can’t be used in court, but can be used to find corroborating data that is admissible in court.

Or just brow-beating people into confessing on tape.

As the officials weren't the ones who actually collected the evidence, its not warrantless search tho?

Like, if I hacked donnie tomorrow and turn the piss tape over to the feds, they can use it as evidence since they aren't the ones who broke the law

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, my understanding was if they, as law enforcement, didn't hack the data it's not considered poisonous.

Of course that would need to be tested in court.

They might also be able to get away with "Oh, hey. We snagged this off a share investigating the crime of Parler being hacked. Look at all this other crime we found while doing that investigation. What are the odds?"

brains
May 12, 2004

wolrah posted:

it sets up probable cause and direction for subpoenas to collect evidence directly from parler itself. the data is the same, but the feds would obtain it directly from the source, which would meet a very high bar of admissibility.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

RFC2324 posted:

As the officials weren't the ones who actually collected the evidence, its not warrantless search tho?

Like, if I hacked donnie tomorrow and turn the piss tape over to the feds, they can use it as evidence since they aren't the ones who broke the law

The actual copies of data found/provided by randoms? That can't possibly be allowed. At least I hope not. "Your honor, 69BigDickAntifa420 provided us data that they pinky swear came from parler and isn't faked"

It's gotta be that the information can be used for the feds to do the same work or lead them down the path to a warrant / finding the same information?

brains posted:

it sets up probable cause and direction for subpoenas to collect evidence directly from parler itself. the data is the same, but the feds would obtain it directly from the source, which would meet a very high bar of admissibility.

Yeah it's this right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

brains posted:

yep, the relevant L&O episode is "The Chinese Wall", where McCoy and Kincaid have to redo the entire case separately because the original evidence was fruit of the poisonous tree.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
See also: parallel construction

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone here follow Michael Bazzell or the OSINT stuff much? I've been slowly ramping up my online privacy which has included stepping off of almost all social media and switching to more ethical or open source projects instead. His stuff is a bit higher scope than I want to implement but still find it absolutely fascinating and an increasingly important topic.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone here follow Michael Bazzell or the OSINT stuff much? I've been slowly ramping up my online privacy which has included stepping off of almost all social media and switching to more ethical or open source projects instead. His stuff is a bit higher scope than I want to implement but still find it absolutely fascinating and an increasingly important topic.

The new edition of his OSINT book came out this month and I can't wait to get it and start diving in. https://www.amazon.com/Open-Source-Intelligence-Techniques-Information/dp/1530508908

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, the State Department site showed Trump and Pence as having resigned. The State Department said they had an incredibly secure system so it had to have been a disgruntled employee. (That's always the way to bet, obvs.)

https://twitter.com/tarah/status/1348736034616479744

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, given that they've also made statements about how "so many people have access" to the edit functions that it would be hard to determine who actually did it, and given that a whole lot of them are gonna be out of a job in a week anyhow, having an employee snipe you like that on the way out does look like a pretty reasonable assumption.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, the State Department site showed Trump and Pence as having resigned. The State Department said they had an incredibly secure system so it had to have been a disgruntled employee. (That's always the way to bet, obvs.)

:discourse:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

why

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

This actually happened to me a couple times, I partially blame it on how SLOW the DOD images are, I was incredibly depressed as to how badly the USAF imaged machines worked, even with good hardware.

Many times, even when it seemed like it wasn't locking after pulling my CAC....it actually was, it was just so god damned slow you could do a bunch of stuff before the screen would lock.

I’ve been looking at various computers at the nursing station and often they’ll have very odd amounts of memory like 3.2 or 1.8, between two identical boxes. I don’t know much about windows or windows enterprise but it’s... weird.

Also opening just a few windows on Firefox while charting on many computers will cause it to grind to a halt.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's a 6ft blast door with uncrackable time locks

What's that?

Oh that's the side entrance, it's usually unlocked

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve been looking at various computers at the nursing station and often they’ll have very odd amounts of memory like 3.2 or 1.8, between two identical boxes. I don’t know much about windows or windows enterprise but it’s... weird.

Also opening just a few windows on Firefox while charting on many computers will cause it to grind to a halt.

3.2 implies 32-bit, 1.8 implies 256MB allocated to VRAM?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jeoh posted:

3.2 implies 32-bit, 1.8 implies 256MB allocated to VRAM?

It’s all 64 bit though. And it’ll be other weird increments like 2.6 or 3.4 at different workstations too, and these are all identical boxes.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Mimecast is telling its customers to break and rebuild their Azure connections because of what sounds like a certificate breach. The related app registration effectively has full EXO mailbox access. They've been very cagey with actual information so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/kvs4vg/mimecastmicrosoft_certificate_remediation/

Edit: https://www.crn.com/news/security/hackers-compromise-mimecast-certificate-for-microsoft-authentication

Bandire fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 12, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CyberPingu posted:

It's a 6ft blast door with uncrackable time locks

What's that?

Oh that's the side entrance, it's usually unlocked

WordPress is fine, WordPress plugins not so much. It gets a bad rap because people get themes/plugins that are shady or stop being maintained, and those end up creating giant holes. Treat the plugins like any public facing app and you should be fine.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It’s all 64 bit though. And it’ll be other weird increments like 2.6 or 3.4 at different workstations too, and these are all identical boxes.

IT has been robbing Peter to pay Paul on people whining about needing RAM, or at least has been applying upgrades as 'needed' instead of evenly to maintain a standard. Probably favorite nurses making the requests.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I might be able to rope together money for a budget to get an actual purpose built IDS instead of this frankensteined security onion. Anyone got recommendations?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh good, I just got a meeting invite from our CEO and a DarkTrace sales person :|

Normally I'd blame someone walking past a booth at a conference, but thankfully this year has been a respite from having people get sold on flashy booth graphics

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DarkTrace probably spent like 5 to 10k wining and dining me over the years NGL. If you’ve got to do this meeting you should see if they’ll send you some uber eats credit or something lol

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I occasionally have salespeople reaching out to bribe me in exchange for listening to their pitch but I've yet to figure out the verbiage to request, say, an Uber eats contribution.

Just love the total lack of ethics rules in software procurement (not really)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing I'm much more suggestible on a full stomach ANYHOW MOVING ALONG

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

I occasionally have salespeople reaching out to bribe me in exchange for listening to their pitch but I've yet to figure out the verbiage to request, say, an Uber eats contribution.

Just love the total lack of ethics rules in software procurement (not really)

tell them it's your scheduled lunch time

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I remember companies sending Domino's gift cards if we signed up for a lunch-time webinar

That's how we ended up getting our boss to ask for 'fromunda cheese'

"They said they don't have it..."

Okay, just get pepperoni then.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'll be honest, I don't see how a salesperson buying someone lunch is bribing them. I mean, it's lunch. If they show up with the keys to a new car, or a suitcase full of cash gift cards, I get it. But lunch? Human beings can share a meal and not be signing over each other's honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Getting to eat well on the company dime sounds like the least bad part about being a sales person, honestly.