Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grillparzer
Aug 31, 2004

The “Lost in Appleton” webcomic that I used to read around 2003. There’s no trace of any images anywhere on the web. I think one of the SA’s front page editors, Corin Tucker’s Stalker made them.
I remember it being pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Hey, speaking of Appleton is Cliff Yanlonski still around? I miss him and JeffK is probably married and hacxoring for the NSA!

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Very old black and white game (I'm guessing on an Apple Macintosh) set on various battlegrounds where all the soldiers are little stick like figures. When they fight (you drag one onto another) they flash frantically. There were also chests with powerups you could move soldiers to open.

Played it once, never saw it again. Late 80s maybe? Anyone?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Camo Guitar posted:

Very old black and white game (I'm guessing on an Apple Macintosh) set on various battlegrounds where all the soldiers are little stick like figures. When they fight (you drag one onto another) they flash frantically. There were also chests with powerups you could move soldiers to open.

Played it once, never saw it again. Late 80s maybe? Anyone?

Try here also: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936080&pagenumber=2

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wudz posted:

Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8LEIZJKYyg

Actually I think there was an even more edited/mashed up version of this too

This is oddly relaxing after about ten minutes or so.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I've found a few white whales for people in this thread before, and maybe someone can help me turn up one of my own.

So I'm trying to find a... TV show, probably, or maybe YouTube series. I saw it advertised while binge-watching Carmilla a while back, but I can't find it anymore. It's a ha-ha semi-romantic comedy thing about two women writing a play (or TV series?) together, about two gay women, and everyone assumes that it's based on them. I remember a dinner-party type scene where people are standing around a kitchen island and someone asks, "So... which one are you?" or something similar. Of course in the beginning there is much protesting, but Complicated Feelings arise (this being a romantic comedy conceit) and... I don't know anything else, because it got lost in the tab/link shuffle and I never got to see it. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Grillparzer posted:

The “Lost in Appleton” webcomic that I used to read around 2003. There’s no trace of any images anywhere on the web. I think one of the SA’s front page editors, Corin Tucker’s Stalker made them.
I remember it being pretty hilarious.

Some of the strips are preserved, if you change the date some work (and some don't) https://web.archive.org/web/20030603223651/http://www.landecay.com/lostinappleton/, https://web.archive.org/web/20030404084629/http://www.landecay.com/lostinappleton/archive.php?date=2003-01-04, etc.

There's not an easy way to retrieve all the working ones, though. This URL shows all the files saved for that address, and you can filter for PNGs ("image/png" otherwise you get redirects), but it's a pain to view them from that interface.

Edit: and, tbh from the ones I did look at, you might want to just treasure the memories, either I'm unlucky or it hasn't held up that well.

uvar fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 10, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A website that catalogued all the windows spotlight images (ie lock screen pictures). There's supposed to be a little thing in the corner that you hover over and it tells you where the picture was taken and sometimes it's there. But sometimes it isn't! And I got a picture in mind I want to find again

AstroBravo
Jun 23, 2009

Cowman posted:

tomjonesgoeswild.mp3

It was in an awful ringtones thread way back in the day. It's a clip of a Tom Jones song where he starts yelling and it loops and is hilarious.

I still have the exact mp3, its has moved from phone to phone ever since I first downloaded it (along with a few others from that thread, Cat on a Keyboard in Space, etc. that I have saved in the same gdrive)

You can take the snip from the Youtube Vid if you want, but you can also just, have the file.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U6zmex--KCszselyofleeAoCWD3lR7W3?usp=sharing

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Yond Cassius posted:

I've found a few white whales for people in this thread before, and maybe someone can help me turn up one of my own.

So I'm trying to find a... TV show, probably, or maybe YouTube series. I saw it advertised while binge-watching Carmilla a while back, but I can't find it anymore. It's a ha-ha semi-romantic comedy thing about two women writing a play (or TV series?) together, about two gay women, and everyone assumes that it's based on them. I remember a dinner-party type scene where people are standing around a kitchen island and someone asks, "So... which one are you?" or something similar. Of course in the beginning there is much protesting, but Complicated Feelings arise (this being a romantic comedy conceit) and... I don't know anything else, because it got lost in the tab/link shuffle and I never got to see it. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I swear I remember a Caroline in the City episode like this, but I'm not finding anything, maybe it's something from a similar era? Immediately I'm thinking "Ellen", but that seems too obvious?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

!Klams posted:

I swear I remember a Caroline in the City episode like this, but I'm not finding anything, maybe it's something from a similar era? Immediately I'm thinking "Ellen", but that seems too obvious?

That doesn't seem right, and definitely not Ellen; Carmilla came out in 2014 and I got into it late so I think this would have been advertised in the 2015-2016 era. Definitely before 2017 as the movie hadn't come out yet, though.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

A website that catalogued all the windows spotlight images (ie lock screen pictures). There's supposed to be a little thing in the corner that you hover over and it tells you where the picture was taken and sometimes it's there. But sometimes it isn't! And I got a picture in mind I want to find again

https://windows10spotlight.com/ seems like it would do the job, and has the captions if you click through.

Just to be complete, https://bing.wallpaper.pics/ or https://www.bwallpaperhd.com/ are similar but for the Bing images (and there's an option in the Microsoft Launcher for Android to use those as lockscreen/wallpaper) but I assume you're talking about a PC lockscreen.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

This film about a black teenager who plays the piano, except he doesn't have a piano, he just imagines and drums his fingers on a desk. His name was Julian or something.

And his friend is involved with a gang, and one day the gang leader orders him to burn someone to death with a tyre round his neck but he says no.

And everyone calls their house "my planet"

I just remember seeing it on TV nearly 20 years ago when I visited Canada but could never find it anywhere after to see if it was actually any good. It probably isn't.

The planet of junior brown... if nobody’s gotten this yet...

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In the early pages of the thread, I had a request. I'm still looking for it and hoping the passage of time and fresh eyes might can hunt it down.

You might remember Phalanx, the SNES game with the weird cover of the old guy and the banjo.

There was a commercial for this game, featuring the gentleman and simple banjo music and something else - I remember a buzzing sound, too. There were some scenes of the gameplay. I cannot recall if there was a voiceover or not.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rascallion posted:

Ikea has a pretty full line:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/wooden-toys-18738/

There are a multiple toy companies out there that do wooden trains/trucks. They are all kind of plug and play.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Roughly how big were the dolls? I'm betting the trains were Brio.

It was totally Brio! Someone got it earlier in the thread. Thanks though, guys.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

uvar posted:

https://windows10spotlight.com/ seems like it would do the job, and has the captions if you click through.

Just to be complete, https://bing.wallpaper.pics/ or https://www.bwallpaperhd.com/ are similar but for the Bing images (and there's an option in the Microsoft Launcher for Android to use those as lockscreen/wallpaper) but I assume you're talking about a PC lockscreen.

I actually found that first link after asking but it's 600 pages long lol

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
A pic that I first saw on these very forums. Early 80s I'd say, two guys in tennis shorts, or similar. One rocking a proper 'tache; this one has his cock out under the glass table and is looking the other guy dead in the eye like "What are you going to do about this?"
Anyway never been able to find this on GIS, I just get people shooting their loads on glass tables.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

I actually found that first link after asking but it's 600 pages long lol

There's search and tags on the side, they're no help in narrowing the options down?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

A pic that I first saw on these very forums. Early 80s I'd say, two guys in tennis shorts, or similar. One rocking a proper 'tache; this one has his cock out under the glass table and is looking the other guy dead in the eye like "What are you going to do about this?"

Are they linked at the cock by an impossibly tiny chain?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

uvar posted:

There's search and tags on the side, they're no help in narrowing the options down?

I didn't notice them. I assumed everything off to the side is an ad anymore. But it did work so thank you :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

I love this question's implication that you have an image but it might still be the wrong cock-out-under-glass-table photo.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Looking for what was either a long-ish episode of the 90s Outer Limits or a made-for-TV movie that I saw on the Sci Fi channel at some point in the early to mid 2000s. There's a space station that acts like a leper colony for people with an incurable disease that causes strange mutations; nobody else is allowed to visit and they've got a nice little community of oddballs. Theyget contacted by the government and asked to somehow help out to create a cure for the disease, I think by letting a team of scientists aboard or something like that. The leaders of the station debate whether it's a trick or not and eventually decide to try and help, over strong objections. It doesn't go well and it turns out it was pretty much a trick. The last shot of the episode is a huge batch of new mutants arriving at the station as the current inhabitants look on in horror, with the implication being that the place is about to become really overcrowded and lovely. I remember that there was a clean-cut officer dude who got sent to negotiate the station's assistance, who reveals near the end that he also has the disease.

This was not the Dr. Who episode "Terminus" which is the only thing I can find when googling for sci-fi stuff that involves leper colony space stations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
That was an episode of Masters of Science Fiction called “The Discarded,” based on a story by Harlan Ellison.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've got a vague childhood memory of a papercraft book that had templates for sets with moving parts. One was a thing like a multi-tiered birthday cake (it may have been one) with a mouthpiece at the bottom to blow in and make something happen. Another was something like a lawnmower, maybe a tank, in any case it would have had moving wheels and potentially a mechanism connected to them.

Its most distinctive design feature was that it had these stylized jackal figures on every set. They were explicitly called out as jackals. This may have been part of an overarching Egyptian theme but I don't specifically recall that. I strongly associate it with a grey, clean-cut look.

Probably from the 80s, absolutely no later than mid-90s and even that's playing it safe.

Spooner's Moving Animals, or the Zoo of Tranquility by Paul Spooner. Out of print, but Amazon.de lists a few sellers (at steep prices).

e: whaddayouknow, it was right there in my bookcase (the German version from zweitausendeins). I could post some pictures later when I have time.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 12, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the one! Thanks a ton!

Boy, looking at Google images, I simultaneously remembered that very accurately and put way too much stock in the jackals. Way different general design from what I remember, too. Would love some pictures, if you have the time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Action Jacktion posted:

That was an episode of Masters of Science Fiction called “The Discarded,” based on a story by Harlan Ellison.

:thumbsup:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's the one! Thanks a ton!

Boy, looking at Google images, I simultaneously remembered that very accurately and put way too much stock in the jackals. Way different general design from what I remember, too. Would love some pictures, if you have the time.

Jackals are kind of Spooner’s thing.

e: As promised, here are a few images showing the style of the book and the automatons.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 12, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It was a military style watch for Metal Gear Solid 1, based on the bad guy team. I haven't been able to find anything on the drat thing other than some very cheap looking tie in watches.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

shadow puppet of a posted:

nah

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There's a dark comedy cooking show parody YouTube where this guy, who is barely keeping it together, does a rather poor job of preparing whatever he is cooking but during one of the waiting periods the camera pans over a hoarder hovel (I remember a lot of boxes) which he looks out upon in quiet despair

I think he was blond but it's been years since I saw it

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Does anyone know about an article that explained how advertising worked - it said that like a beer commercial relies on creating a common social perception of what certain beers say about the person drinking them, so then people buy based on that knowledge. Maybe it mentioned super bowl advertising?

It contrasted this conception with the idea that advertising makes us associate brands with desirable feelings.

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 13, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Bold Robot posted:

Looking for what was either a long-ish episode of the 90s Outer Limits or a made-for-TV movie that I saw on the Sci Fi channel at some point in the early to mid 2000s. There's a space station that acts like a leper colony for people with an incurable disease that causes strange mutations; nobody else is allowed to visit...

Me: Ooo, I got you fam, it's Ter---

quote:

This was not the Dr. Who episode "Terminus" which is the only thing I can find when googling for sci-fi stuff that involves leper colony space stations.

Me: Well gently caress a duck.

Glad Action Jacktion could come thru for ya, especially since that sounds really cool and I wanna watch it now!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Lobe posted:

There's a dark comedy cooking show parody YouTube where this guy, who is barely keeping it together, does a rather poor job of preparing whatever he is cooking but during one of the waiting periods the camera pans over a hoarder hovel (I remember a lot of boxes) which he looks out upon in quiet despair

How To Basic

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mr. Lobe posted:

Henry's Kitchen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNSXQsP-VQY

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Lobe posted:

masaokis?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mr. Lobe posted:

This isn't the video, but there's a video where a guy is reviewing whiskey as his wife packs her things and moves out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouGLEtapOX8

Sort of reminded me.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
An article someone linked here on SA many many years ago about an olive oil and water mix for skin cleansing, especially if you've got really oily skin. Does it still exist anywhere?

Grillparzer
Aug 31, 2004

uvar posted:

Some of the strips are preserved, if you change the date some work (and some don't) https://web.archive.org/web/20030603223651/http://www.landecay.com/lostinappleton/, https://web.archive.org/web/20030404084629/http://www.landecay.com/lostinappleton/archive.php?date=2003-01-04, etc.

There's not an easy way to retrieve all the working ones, though. This URL shows all the files saved for that address, and you can filter for PNGs ("image/png" otherwise you get redirects), but it's a pain to view them from that interface.

Edit: and, tbh from the ones I did look at, you might want to just treasure the memories, either I'm unlucky or it hasn't held up that well.

Thank you!

You’re right, it’s not all gold, but I remember there being a few gems.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Song that goes "travelling down the road, hauling quite a load". I think i remember it being used in some TV or movie. I can find the lyrics online but not the show or movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Song that goes "travelling down the road, hauling quite a load". I think i remember it being used in some TV or movie. I can find the lyrics online but not the show or movie

Bob's Burgers season 2 episode 5, "Food Truckin'":

Meet me on the road
Hauling quite a load
Taking lots of drugs
I don't know what.

A pen in a jug
Getting rest stop tugs
Might've hit a man,
But didn't stop.