Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Latest truanon is very good

yes some much needed deep analysis w an intriguing philosophical take. another home run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ghost when can we expect a new pod

i crave content

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Latest truanon is very good

feels like the first taste of sanity I’ve had in media since the second 9/11

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

ghost when can we expect a new pod

i crave content

29th of this month 😎

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Atrocious Joe posted:

i thought this someone making up another fake podcast for the thread.

Nope, it's real, and as another idiot from the Ozarks who spent a decent amount of time loving around in Springfield I enjoy getting some of the references and learning more about the history of my old stomping grounds.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i fucken love podcasts.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a fatguy baldspot posted:

i fucken love podcasts.

pod save us all

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

hell yeah we got another Innie.

Innie is my name for Inward Empire listeners.

i thought n-word empire is what cum town changed their name to

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'm dan carlin and this is hard r history

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
re: the new trueanon, we had our own guy try to burn down ICE buses and he had to know death was certain, so that's one example I guess. Christopher Dorner maybe?

I don't think the lady chud that got owned knew or appreciated that at all - she'd already been allowed into the capitol, why wouldn't she assume she and her cohorts could go further if they just kept pushing? I think the magical thinking inherent to Q precludes them somewhat from fully embracing the realistic consequences of their actions. Look at everyone else posting this poo poo to their social media - no one really thought they'd get in trouble. I don't know, it felt kind of like a "why wasn't it the left storming the capitol" type statement even though I know that's not what Brace meant.

Also I understand the importance of not falsely labeling it a "coup" or the mob as "terrorists" but we kind of have to call it something, it can't really be dismissed. My go-to has been "attack" but then that comes with its own baggage in the US.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Deified Data posted:

re: the new trueanon, we had our own guy try to burn down ICE buses and he had to know death was certain, so that's one example I guess. Christopher Dorner maybe?

I don't think the lady chud that got owned knew or appreciated that at all - she'd already been allowed into the capitol, why wouldn't she assume she and her cohorts could go further if they just kept pushing? I think the magical thinking inherent to Q precludes them somewhat from fully embracing the realistic consequences of their actions. Look at everyone else posting this poo poo to their social media - no one really thought they'd get in trouble. I don't know, it felt kind of like a "why wasn't it the left storming the capitol" type statement even though I know that's not what Brace meant.

Also I understand the importance of not falsely labeling it a "coup" or the mob as "terrorists" but we kind of have to call it something, it can't really be dismissed. My go-to has been "attack" but then that comes with its own baggage in the US.

I liked their idea that if you wanna call it a 'coup' or 'insurrection' or what have you, that by historical standards it was a pretty pathetic one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I've kinda landed on "riot" and "rioters" as descriptive terms since that mostly explains what happened without the baggage of ascribing it to domestic terrorism

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

any podcasts about Covid mutual aid efforts? I’m thinking organizer interviews and that kinda stuff. I’ve heard a lot about dsa chapters and the like doing and have volunteered a few times myself but I’d like to see a larger scale look at it.

it’d also be a nice change of pace from the chapos and the like all being sadsacks since Bernie lost

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Jan 12, 2021

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

tbf when half the people around you waltzing into the capitol to stop the steal are off-duty cops or military it'd be pretty easy to assume the government's on your side here

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i understand your suspicion but it is a great show, very funny and prob the best on tv rn

Yeah I actually hear good things, so I'll give it a chance.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

succession is great

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am fine with "coup-attempt"; that it was one of the laziest ones I have seen seems quintessentially American, and befitting of Trump.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Bro Dad posted:

well succession literally calls billionaires worse than hitler so I suspect her role will be making fun of kendall roy for having a tiny dick then telling him to kill himself

sounds more like a Roman plotline

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

thotsky posted:

I am fine with "coup-attempt"; that it was one of the laziest ones I have seen seems quintessentially American, and befitting of Trump.

it's the perfect coup for our times. lazy, unprepared and flailing but came within an inch of victory because state authority was too incompetent to resist. total garbage, nearly worked anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Often Abbreviated posted:

it's the perfect coup for our times. lazy, unprepared and flailing but came within an inch of victory because state authority was too incompetent to resist. total garbage, nearly worked anyway.

i mean uh. "nearly worked" may be a bit of stretch. yeah sure they could have took out those (((adrenochrome-stealers))) but i'm not convinced that even if that happened it'd be considered "successful"

certainly could have been a lot better, especially if he had riled up and rallied a ton more and paying for bussing more in instead of just a throw-away tweets to come to DC. but trump making GBS threads himself and loving it up because it was "low-class disgusting nipples protruding in congress" and flopping over was very befitting.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a coup needs institutional support to succeed, and no major american institution was going to support trump over basic constitutional rule which works out really well for them anyway

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
lmao "first political movement of solely goon projects" felix nailed it, this was basically the goon island of putsches

THS
Sep 15, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

a coup needs institutional support to succeed, and no major american institution was going to support trump over basic constitutional rule which works out really well for them anyway

yeah pretending they were an inch away from “succeeding” is really deranged

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's really a testament to how stupid our nation's law enforcement officers are that half the rioters were off-duty cops and they still got kettled

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Remember, up until then Trump had enjoyed quite a bit of support in his party, among police and the military, also he had tactic approval from capital / the media elite by allowing him to stoke the fires on a daily basis. Far right coups succeeding is nor exactly unprecedented... It was very unlikely that a coup would succeed as Trumps influence took a major blow after the election loss, in the eyes of capital their dominance was already assured at that point, but I don't think it is delusional to have a dramatic reaction to the attempt.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Jan 12, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thotsky posted:

Remember, up until then Trump had enjoyed quite a bit of support in his party, among police and military, and tactic approval from capital / the media elite by allowing him to stoke the fires on a daily basis. Also, far right coups are kor exactly unprecedented... It was very unlikely that a coup would succeed as Trumps influence took a major blow after the election loss, and because of how balkanized the US is, but I don't think it is delusional to have a dramatic reaction to the attempt.

also trump is pathologically incapable of the kind of focus or commitment or avoidance of self sabotaging necessary to pull off a coup.

if he had any of those virtues he would have just been able to win the election normally. if trump had given the people money in october he would have won in a historic landslide. this probably never occurred to trump as an option.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

THS posted:

yeah pretending they were an inch away from “succeeding” is really deranged

if they were a couple of minutes faster, or if Trump had accompanied them as planned, or if a few more members of the CHP had defected and allowed them past then they would have stormed the chamber whilst it was still in session, destroyed or stolen the votes, prevented the election from being certified, and the US would still be in a constitutional crisis

the ease with which they breezed in suggests there is (or was, people might be hedging now) massive sympathy, if not support, for the insurrection throughout state institutions including law enforcement and the military. as there was clearly in the legislature as evidenced by the number of GOP legislators who still refused to certify the election.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thotsky posted:

delusional to have a dramatic reaction to the attempt.

it’s both delusional and the engine that will drive liberals to support the most authoritarian possible response

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

in DC, you feel as though you cannot gently caress around anywhere near federal buildings or monuments or they will glass you and tell you it's your fault. going in even the Smithsonian museums requires passing through metal detectors and having your handbags checked, there's massive security theater.

the idea that a bunch of idiots could just walk in and it was mostly cool for a moment other than the lady getting shot really destroys that

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if they were a couple of minutes faster, or if Trump had accompanied them as planned, or if a few more members of the CHP had defected and allowed them past then they would have stormed the chamber whilst it was still in session, destroyed or stolen the votes, prevented the election from being certified, and the US would still be in a constitutional crisis

the ease with which they breezed in suggests there is (or was, people might be hedging now) massive sympathy, if not support, for the insurrection throughout state institutions including law enforcement and the military. as there was clearly in the legislature as evidenced by the number of GOP legislators who still refused to certify the election.

do you think if they lose the wooden lacquered boxes filled with holy votes that they wouldnt figure it out

if i steal the mace in uk parliament do i become the loving queen

you are focusing on the ceremonial symbols instead of a material reality of how political power actually works and seeing so many people lose a grip on that like some slips of paper getting stolen means the state has to cry Uncle, it’s pathetic tbh

the GOP congress ppl who were against certifying the election were in a clear minority by that point. if you had a way to run the events of january 6th through a simulation one million times, in none of them is trump president after inauguration day

being hysterical or focusing on process and symbolism, instead of recognizing that this was a violent fiasco with no chance of changing the government, is Lib poo poo, sorry. if you want to do something like that, probably try storming the pentagon, langley, and seizing control of the biggest server farms

these people are dangerous, they shouldn’t be ignored, but they weren’t “inches away from power”

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
ceremonial symbols and ideology are precisely how political power works, outside the narrow cases of someone literally holding a gun to your head. you think laws and votes and elections are real?

it's fun you're accusing me of hysteria, because it seem to me your insistence that everything is fine and normal in the present situation has a little touch of the hysterical to it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

THS posted:

it’s both delusional and the engine that will drive liberals to support the most authoritarian possible response

The evil people in power will do evil poo poo no matter what, and libs will fall in line. I would much rather people overreact to fascism than downplay it. I think a lot of leftist are rushing to downplay what happened in an attempt to deny fascists the win, or possibly as some sort of self-soothing mechanism, but if all that was needed to fight fascism was to make fun of or ignore them then there would be no need for anti-fascism.

In the very unlikely event that fascists do get to be on the receiving side of state power in the aftermath of this that is fine by me. Leftists are already in the crosshairs, the tools and laws are already in place, and there's nothing leftists can say that will change that.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Jan 12, 2021

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

No, they wouldn't.
American presidency doesn't work by king of the hill rules.

The whole event was purely ceremonial.

ceremonial symbols and ideology are precisely how political power works, outside the narrow cases of someone literally holding a gun to your head. you think laws and votes and elections are real?

it's fun you're accusing me of hysteria, because it seem to me your insistence that everything is fine and normal in the present situation has a little touch of the hysterical to it.

loving lol. First of all, no it is not. Power is based on the ability to muster resources and to get people to do what you want.
Second, if someone had destroyed the ballots, what do you think would have happened? Would democrats be "oh, gently caress, we didn't win the election anymore?" Would the organizations of the state go "well, no choice but to obey trump now?"

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Jan 12, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
You realize there are copies of the electoral votes kept at the national archives right? Even if the magic paper slips meant something they would just get new ones.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

joepinetree posted:

loving lol. First of all, no it is not. Power is based on the ability to muster resources and to get people to do what you want.

which relies on... ?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

this is like thinking that the rag tag bunch of kids can save the rec center by pushing the evil lawyer in the lake before he can deliver the eviction papers

THS
Sep 15, 2017

which relies on... ?

massive forces of political and economic inertia and the material interests of the wealthiest and most powerful people and factions in the united states, who have no interest in seeing the country completely destabilized by overturning an election in favor of donald trump

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Maya Fey posted:

this is like thinking that the rag tag bunch of kids can save the rec center by pushing the evil lawyer in the lake before he can deliver the eviction papers

or that a bunch of farmers can save someone's farm by forcing an auction at shotgun point and selling it to the original owner for $1

oh wait that one actually happened though...

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

THS posted:

massive forces of political and economic inertia and the material interests of the wealthiest and most powerful people and factions in the united states, who have no interest in seeing the country completely destabilized by overturning an election in favor of donald trump

nope, people aren't ants, sorry. if you're so committed to this internet argument that you can't bring yourself to admit the existence symbolism and ideology in human society, insisting instead that we are all acting entirely on material factors (reinventing the von Mises Rational Actor at the same time) then there's genuinely nothing I can say. ironically you are too ideological to admit the existence of ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

or that a bunch of farmers can save someone's farm by forcing an auction at shotgun point and selling it to the original owner for $1

oh wait that one actually happened though...

The source of power in this analogy is the shotgun, not the auction