Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even if so, there's a shitload more people in the suburbs. They honestly have all the worst aspects of the urban and the rural.

Suburbs with downtowns tend to be okay.

If you pull out a voting map of your area, just like with all cities voting blue that arent in Oklahoma, suburbs with an actual downtown area tend to always vote blue. Those that are just strip malls and cul de sacs, red. Its a pretty interesting phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

paternity suitor posted:

In Killer Mike voice: I’m glad Sheldon dead

:hmmyes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I absolutely agree. I lucked out and went to public schools in Alabama

Not a sentence I ever expected to read anywhere ever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Republicans found their new thing to be outraged at.

I doubt this will go anywhere, but it shows how desperate they are.

Biden's incoming CDC Director wrote a "divisive" and "politicized" NYT Op-Ed that shamelessly used the Capitol attack and COVID to slam our current SCIENTIST CDC director and VETERAN Surgeon General.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/opinion/rochelle-walensky-cdc-director.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

quote:

As the New C.D.C. Chief, I’ll Tell You the Truth

Even when the news is bleak.

Last Wednesday, the same day our nation’s Capitol was in the grips of an insurrection, the United States recorded 3,964 deaths from Covid-19, a record high. That day, Covid-19 claimed a life every 22 seconds. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention predicts that this month the country will surpass more than 400,000 deaths from Covid.

The challenge ahead is enormous.

On Jan. 20, I will begin leading the C.D.C., which was founded in 1946 to meet precisely the kinds of challenges posed by this pandemic. I agreed to serve as C.D.C. director because I believe in the agency’s mission and commitment to knowledge, statistics and guidance. I will do so by leading with facts, science and integrity — and being accountable for them, as the C.D.C. has done since its founding 75 years ago.

I acknowledge that our team of scientists will have to work very hard to restore public trust in the C.D.C., at home and abroad, because it has been undermined over the last year. In that time, numerous reports stated that White House officials interfered with official guidance issued by the C.D.C.

As chief of the infectious diseases division at Massachusetts General Hospital, I and many others found these reports to be extremely disturbing. The C.D.C.’s science — the gold standard for the nation’s public health — has been tarnished. Hospitals, doctors, state health officials and others rely on the guidance of the C.D.C., not just for Covid-19 policies around quarantine, isolation, testing and vaccination, but also for staying healthy while traveling, strategies to prevent obesity, information on food safety and more.

As C.D.C. director, it will be my responsibility to make sure that the public trusts the agency’s guidance and that its staff feels supported. On my first day, I will ask Anne Schuchat, the principal deputy director, with 32 years of experience at the C.D.C., to begin a comprehensive review to ensure that all existing guidance related to Covid-19 is evidence-based and free of politics.

Restoring the public’s trust in the C.D.C. is crucial. Hospitals and health care providers are beyond tired, beyond stretched. I know because I have stood among them, on the front lines of the Covid-19 response in Massachusetts. We also face the need for the largest public health operation in a century, vaccinating the population — twice — to protect ourselves and each other from a surging pandemic. Because the impact of Covid-19 does not fall equally on everyone, we must redouble our efforts to reach every corner of the U.S. population.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Kalit posted:

Huh, I wonder what's going to happen with the old US embassy in Tel Aviv now. Do you think Adelson had put Trump down as the successor for that building in his will? Just saying, it's pretty convenient timing when Trump's about to be kicked out of his current house and won't be allowed to live at Mar-A-Lago permanently :tinfoil:

I don't think Adelson loved Trump that much. I recall reports of friction around the 2020 election and Adelson pretty much going around the Trump campaign apparatus to fund downballot candidates instead.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Suburbs with downtowns tend to be okay.

If you pull out a voting map of your area, just like with all cities voting blue that arent in Oklahoma, suburbs with an actual downtown area tend to always vote blue. Those that are just strip malls and cul de sacs, red. Its a pretty interesting phenomena.

Huh. My gut feeling about different burbs has always broken down along these lines, interesting to hear there are actually some empirical differences.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BiggerBoat posted:

7pm Texas time I read.

Real worried about this poo poo tonight. Anyone who thinks Donald is going to anything but double down and stoke more violence is delusional. He's doing this (and doing it in Texas) for a reason and I can promise everyone here it's not to say something sensible. He's not been able to tweet or receive any praise in what, for him, must seem like an eternity is very much like a junkie going through withdrawal right now.

Remember, he really thinks the US supports him and that the election was stolen.

I am less concerned about Trump now. The biggest worry is that he will try to pardon all of the terrorists who stormed the capitol and himself on the way out.

I don't expect Trump to "behave", but this will probably be just another airing of grievances like he had one time on the campaign trail where he spent 2 hours moaning about everything under the sun.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Is it true that he tazed his own balls?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

User Error posted:

Is it true that he tazed his own balls?

Heard he died getting his lower ribs removed so that he could suck and tase his own balls, op

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

were they using a sword that gives demons a True Death, or will it be back?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Republicans found their new thing to be outraged at.

I doubt this will go anywhere, but it shows how desperate they are.

Biden's incoming CDC Director wrote a "divisive" and "politicized" NYT Op-Ed that shamelessly used the Capitol attack and COVID to slam our current SCIENTIST CDC director and VETERAN Surgeon General.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/opinion/rochelle-walensky-cdc-director.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Truth hurts donut

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TyrantWD posted:

I am less concerned about Trump now. The biggest worry is that he will try to pardon all of the terrorists who stormed the capitol and himself on the way out.

I don't expect Trump to "behave", but this will probably be just another airing of grievances like he had one time on the campaign trail where he spent 2 hours moaning about everything under the sun.

At this point, I guess I'm just hoping he gets worked up enough to have a heart attack and poo poo his pants on live TV.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
It is good that Adelson is dead. This news makes me happier after reading it than I'd been before reading it. May his name be forgotten and all his works crumble into dust just like his corpse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

UltraShame posted:

I'm reminded of 2016, before the election, but after the debates. Trump was "about to come speak at any moment" - but you just had a essentially a dead air shot of an empty lectern with reporters breathlessly talking over it about "oh my god he could say ANYTHING, there's no way of knowing", or "what he says is almost never true, but the people there sure find it entertaining!"

Cue another 10-20 minutes of an empty lectern front and center on a TV screen. And this just wasn't FOX news. This was ABC, NBC, CBS, regular Fox and CNN.

Looking back, that poo poo was bonkers, considering within mere months at those same rallies those reporters he was gawked at by were having their on the ground news crews get drinks and garbage thrown at them during those televised rallies and a couple months after that, the garbage throwers were screaming "THE PRESS IS THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!"

All of that was in 2016, before he was inaugurated.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

....getting his lower ribs removed so that he could suck and tase his own balls, op

Look just because he did one good thing in his life shouldn't mean we should forget all the vile crap he did.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Truth hurts donut

Fox and Friends this morning is really trying run hard with this, but it is a very weak hand.

They just keep repeating "Everyone is trying to ruin Josh Hawley, Kevin McCarthy, and Ted Cruz's life for 'not taking the Capito incident seriously' but this lady just used it as a prop in a political attack! I guess they really don't care except to use it as a weapon."

and

"She says there was no integrity, dishonesty, and a "disaster" under the Surgeon General and CDC, but our Surgeon General is A TROOP! Why does she say that about a distinguished troop? Where is the unity?"

Noticeably absent is an explicit defense of Trump. Hawley, McCarthy, and Cruz get some cover, though.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

DarkCrawler posted:

The suburbs have nothing on rural areas.

Rural areas are loving horrible. They're isolated enough that they can basically do their own thing. Suburbs have nothing on the horror of deep rural areas.

Speaking of which, some lovely rural isp in Idaho is blocking twitter and facebook for everyone. Their website looks like a 1990s geocities page and I laughed at the command and conquer prism tower zapping everything with 5g.

https://twitter.com/valhallabckgirl/status/1348753629000306688

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Rural areas are loving horrible. They're isolated enough that they can basically do their own thing. Suburbs have nothing on the horror of deep rural areas.

Speaking of which, some lovely rural isp in Idaho is blocking twitter and facebook for everyone. Their website looks like a 1990s geocities page and I laughed at the command and conquer prism tower zapping everything with 5g.

Jesus Christ those rates, I thought Altice/Optimum was bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Kefka be going ham on rural America with the Light of Judgement.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Years ago a company I worked for got Las Vegas Sands as a client. Found out about Addelson right away and kept hemming and hawing about whether I should stick to my convictions and refuse to work on it, potentially getting fired if I did. Ultimately I caved and spent a few months working with them. The project was mismanaged and in the end the product was never built. But even though I caved that time, it helped me have more integrity about the social impact of my work moving forward. So in his own small way he helped me be a better lefty.

Anyway, glad I wasted some small fraction of your money you dead gently caress.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 12, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So is Dumbfuck still going to Texas today?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Yes, he's expected to give a speech about "promises kept" on building the wall and his administration's accomplishments.

quote:

"President Trump is expected to travel to Alamo, Texas, on Tuesday to mark the completion of more than 400 miles of border wall — a promise made, promise kept — and his Administration’s efforts to reform our broken immigration system," White House Deputy Press Secretary Judd Deere said.

The trip to the Rio Grande Valley, intended to highlight his administration's work on the border wall and other goals achieved during his term, comes with just over a week left in Trump's presidency.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Still scheduled, however remains to be seen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

is there a handy twitter account posting everyone that's been arrested so far?

i see they at least got zip tie guy

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rinkles posted:

is there a handy twitter account posting everyone that's been arrested so far?

Capitol Police said yesterday that they have currently arrested or are seeking information leading to the arrest of 167 people involved.

Only a few of the people have been named in the press. It's basically just the people the FBI has already filed charges against.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

Jesus Christ those rates, I thought Altice/Optimum was bad.

Getting internet to rural areas is rough. Ours is about $40 for up to 10 megs and that "up to" does a lot of work because there's a bunch of things that can cause it to dip or interfere in the signal.

That said we wouldn't block this poo poo because we're not idiots. Though now I'm considering blocking parler as you see it's a matter of national security.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, he's expected to give a speech about "promises kept" on building the wall and his administration's accomplishments.

I keep forgetting they had Promises Made Promises Kept signage for some event maybe a week after he took office.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone know where to look at what previous presidents did in their last weeks/lame duck period before new administrations take office?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

7pm Texas time I read.

Real worried about this poo poo tonight. Anyone who thinks Donald is going to anything but double down and stoke more violence is delusional. He's doing this (and doing it in Texas) for a reason and I can promise everyone here it's not to say something sensible. He's not been able to tweet or receive any praise in what, for him, must seem like an eternity is very much like a junkie going through withdrawal right now.

Remember, he really thinks the US supports him and that the election was stolen.

I think this is likely, but there's also a chance he gives a relatively boring speech (I mean, any Trump speech is sure to be rambling and insane but, normal by his standards) while vaguely talking about the need for unity and healing. I hope the media isn't stupid enough say that it's a new tone for Trump or that he's finally become President or whatever, but I'm doubtful.

https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1348986470942601216?s=20
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1349001766352859144?s=20
I'm also very doubtful this 14th amendment push will lead anywhere. Dems wouldn't try it and even if they did, SCOTUS would rule against them.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

IDK if it's been posted, but a second bank is :sever: with Trump & chums

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/deutsche-bank-trump-signature-b1785952.html

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Getting internet to rural areas is rough. Ours is about $40 for up to 10 megs and that "up to" does a lot of work because there's a bunch of things that can cause it to dip or interfere in the signal.

That said we wouldn't block this poo poo because we're not idiots. Though now I'm considering blocking parler as you see it's a matter of national security.

Looks like the free market (via Apple, Amazon, and Google) is doing a fine enough job of blocking Parler on its own :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quixotic1 posted:

Anyone know where to look at what previous presidents did in their last weeks/lame duck period before new administrations take office?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbbUYhyoWz8

e: CW: Kevin Spacey

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 12, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Quixotic1 posted:

Usually, it is nothing major except pardons.

George H.W. Bush pardoned the Iran Contra planners during his.

Obama pardoned a bunch of non-violent drug offenders, a pro-baseball player who had been charged with tax fraud, and a marine general who was charged with leaking stories to a journalist for a book.

George W. Bush pardoned 2 people with pot charges, a bunch of people convicted of violating antiquities acts, and a whole bunch of people convicted of mail fraud.

Clinton pardoned Marc Rich, a few drug offenders, a bunch of Puerto Ricans charged with terrorism, and the leaders of the weather underground.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Apparently the last thing he really did was stop Cheney from going to war with Russia, and then was an absentee president during all the financial poo poo while he spent time falling off the wagon.

He was so toxic at that point everyone was fine with it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can’t imagine Trump doing a funny skit on his way out of office that doesn’t end up simultaneously horrifying and hilarious in an unforeseen way.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Cutting off ties is one thing but I'd really like to see "Banks plan on surgical removal of trump from his assets"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bobjr posted:

I can’t imagine Trump doing a funny skit on his way out of office that doesn’t end up simultaneously horrifying and hilarious in an unforeseen way.

Biden is sworn in and a voice in all of our ears calmly states "end scenario"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1349003661217771529

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drat. They must realize how bad poo poo is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they don't need to whip because they're already going to vote no, right?