Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1348673833931304963

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

why the gently caress

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Uhhh gently caress that's huge. Maybe it's because eof the high speed rail?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My guess is the rail or a new option that charges for it.

Also, looks like a Ratatouille opening is imminent. Media event in next few days.

https://twitter.com/David_Heller25/status/1348669031977517056

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Uhhh gently caress that's huge. Maybe it's because eof the high speed rail?

Given that I absolutely refuse to ride high speed rail, I guess I'm just forever driving to Disney.

Which is stupid because my insides will liquify either way in the case of an accident but at least it'll be my stupid rear end that fucks up and does it to me instead of somebody up front on a train.

That aside; Universal absolutely has to get an actual Hogwarts Experss super fast if that becomes a thing, right?

Tim Whatley posted:

My guess is the rail or a new option that charges for it.

Also, looks like a Ratatouille opening is imminent. Media event in next few days.

https://twitter.com/David_Heller25/status/1348669031977517056

It's going to be a nice little addition to Epcot but eh.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

gently caress that.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm just hoping if it is to be replaced with the rail, they have a decent idea on how the people getting dropped off at springs on the rail can get transportation to their resort while dragging around luggage.

I already hate moving around my large Samsonite spinner, I can't imagine the hell that a family of 4 with a stroller and loads of children related luggage would deal with.

Come on disney, magical express was really one of the greatest services you offered and it's still one of those things that bookends my trips (seeing the hello and goodbye videos on the bus still kinda gets me)

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
A response tweet said the rail isn’t expected to be ready until late 2023. Hope they have an alternative between those times.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm sure there will be some kind of paid option in addition to taxis and Uber/Lyft.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nottherealaborn posted:

A response tweet said the rail isn’t expected to be ready until late 2023. Hope they have an alternative between those times.
I'm sure they have something very expensive waiting to replace it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the best part of ME for us is not having to manage our bags. gently caress.

we used to drive from NC but the drivers in FL are just so terrible, it was unsafe

edit: also they started charging to park at the resort, lol

alg fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 11, 2021

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
drat. I'm pretty open-minded about Disney's park/resort-related decisions (human resources is another story), but that stings. Checking your bags at your departure airport then not having to worry about wrangling anything again--as well as the collective anticipation/depression on the bus--was part of the experience that made our WDW trips unique.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disneys stock is higher than it has been in the past five years also yet its constant cutbacks cutbacks cutbacks. I don’t get it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

edit: also they started charging to park at the resort, lol

wooo the pros of having medical problems and needing a car (*sobbing noises*)

Empress Brosephine posted:

Disneys stock is higher than it has been in the past five years also yet its constant cutbacks cutbacks cutbacks. I don’t get it.

stockholders like profits, not spending.

I assume that after covid is less of an issue, we'll have Minnievans back.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
EMH done too.
https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1348681697294954499?s=21

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Josh over at EasyDubs spitballed what feels like a reasonable scenario - Mears declares bankruptcy, Disney buys the relevant assets in Chapter 11 and just internalizes Magical Express. It isn't crazy to think that Disney beancounters figure that Mears is on the brink thanks to the pandemic, and that losing a big contract might just put them over the edge.

As sad as getting rid of Magical Express is, it really feels they almost "have" to replace it with something. Having a relatively frictionless way (from a guest perspective) to ensure all guest money is spent on Disney property is just too valuable. Of course, that something could easily be a paid service - and it probably it will, the way the company's been tacking for years now. As long as it's tightly integrated, most families won't bat an eye at an extra $50 a head or whatever on top of their multiple thousand dollar vacation, so Disney gets to keep the bubble closed, especially with the free option eliminated.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not a fan of either change right now. A big part of the WDW experience to me is entering the bubble the minute you get off the plane. This is also another reason to look at off property accommodations. I know people who stay on property at value resorts just because of DME, getting rid of it just seems really short sighted.

The 30 minute early entrance thing... ehhh.

I don't think Disney is after Mears assets. A big advantage of outsourcing something like this to Mears is they can do it cheaper.

I

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Friendship ended with Disney hotels, now Cabana Bay is my best friend.

I'm confused why this is a "we're discontinuing EMH" situation and not a "we're suspending EMH until the pandemic is over" situation. It's a hell of a perk, considering what you get...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I mean isn't the thing with EMH that you miss the crush for whatever you want your first ride of the day to be? Even if the extra time was just 10 minutes for hotel guests, non-resort guests are now always going to be at the back of a 2 hour Slinky Dog queue a few minutes after the official opening time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Honestly, I just used EMH as a way to know what parks to avoid that day. Everyone seems to target those even if they don't plan on using the extra hours so you end up with parks that are overly packed.

I don't think I've ever really benefited from the EMH hours because WDW on ground resorts can seriously hold a lot of people.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The morning extended hours just meant that the specified park would be much more crowded, at least until mid-day.

The evening extended hours have always been wonderful though. I remember Epcot being a ghost town at nighttime, and even the Magic Kingdom had comparatively short lines as people had to get their kids (or grandma) to bed.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Evening EMH were legit amazing, but I saw it going away once they started with the paid experiences. I did the MK and AK After Hours, both were unbelievable. 30 extra minutes literally is enough time to run towards whatever you wanna wait in standby for.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Gonna make a prediction: the 30 mins will be what's baked into morning breakfast reservations, so any touring advantage of doing in park early breakfast will be lost.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our best WDW trip with March 2016. MK was open until 11 or Midnight almost every night, and EMH went one evening until 2 AM I think. My wife and I walked through fantasy land at like 1:30 in the morning 100% alone. It was amazing.

I'm not going to come in here with some spicy take that I'm never going back or anything. I'm not currently planning on selling my 185 DVC points at Bay Lake, but Disney is really eroding all the things that made it a premium vacation I was willing to drop near 5 figures on every 1 - 2 years. For 1/3 the cost I can fly to Disneyland, stay across the street at the Tropicana, and deal with getting myself from LAX to the motel.

I know it's pandemic right now and everything, but over the last 5 years there's just been a ton of negative changes
- ticket and AP prices are up a ton.
- Park hours cut
- major increase in hard ticket events cutting back hours at certain parks (Don't go during October if you like visiting MK)
- food prices up significantly
- parking fees (they don't apply to be, but still really?)
- no more free magic bands (not that I care, but really they can't cost more than a dollar each)

I'm sure there is more, but everyone has a breaking point. I haven't hit mine just yet, but they're making things less and less attractive. A huge amount of the appeal to me of a WDW trip is living in the Disney bubble for a week or so and forgetting about the rest of the world.

couldcareless posted:

Gonna make a prediction: the 30 mins will be what's baked into morning breakfast reservations, so any touring advantage of doing in park early breakfast will be lost.

You know they'll be a hard ticket breakfast event where you can pay 70 bucks to be first in line for 7DMT. They can't pass that money up.

edit: For the record, I've historically been OK with WDW offering "premium" experiences like the Desert Parties and stuff like that because I think they've done a reasonable job at keeping a basic no frills vacation accessible to most people. Folks on a budget can still swing a 4/5 day value resort and basic ticket for a somewhat reasonable amount. If they can keep that while getting other folks to pay more without diluting the core WDW experience I've been OK with it. It's getting to the point though I think they're starting to cross that threshold though.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 11, 2021

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Our best WDW trip with March 2016. MK was open until 11 or Midnight almost every night, and EMH went one evening until 2 AM I think. My wife and I walked through fantasy land at like 1:30 in the morning 100% alone. It was amazing.

I'm not going to come in here with some spicy take that I'm never going back or anything. I'm not currently planning on selling my 185 DVC points at Bay Lake, but Disney is really eroding all the things that made it a premium vacation I was willing to drop near 5 figures on every 1 - 2 years. For 1/3 the cost I can fly to Disneyland, stay across the street at the Tropicana, and deal with getting myself from LAX to the motel.

I know it's pandemic right now and everything, but over the last 5 years there's just been a ton of negative changes
- ticket and AP prices are up a ton.
- Park hours cut
- major increase in hard ticket events cutting back hours at certain parks (Don't go during October if you like visiting MK)
- food prices up significantly
- parking fees (they don't apply to be, but still really?)
- no more free magic bands (not that I care, but really they can't cost more than a dollar each)

I'm sure there is more, but everyone has a breaking point. I haven't hit mine just yet, but they're making things less and less attractive. A huge amount of the appeal to me of a WDW trip is living in the Disney bubble for a week or so and forgetting about the rest of the world.

You know they'll be a hard ticket breakfast event where you can pay 70 bucks to be first in line for 7DMT. They can't pass that money up.

edit: For the record, I've historically been OK with WDW offering "premium" experiences like the Desert Parties and stuff like that because I think they've done a reasonable job at keeping a basic no frills vacation accessible to most people. Folks on a budget can still swing a 4/5 day value resort and basic ticket for a somewhat reasonable amount. If they can keep that while getting other folks to pay more without diluting the core WDW experience I've been OK with it. It's getting to the point though I think they're starting to cross that threshold though.

That’s what I told my wife - the last few years Disney has done their best to remove as many little things that make a Disney trip so magical, and the reason everyone is willing to pay top dollar for those trips. It’s gonna be a few years minimum before I go back (COVID, starting a family, etc) but I hope they don’t continue in this direction of cost cutting and more nickel and diming.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Stocks at an all time high yet more Americans hungry and jobless than ever. I don’t get it.

Stock value isn’t revenue and Disney doesn’t own 100% of their shares anyways. The stock market is not the economy.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

skipdogg posted:

I don't think Disney is after Mears assets. A big advantage of outsourcing something like this to Mears is they can do it cheaper.

I think it's hard to tell since we really don't know a lot about the relationships, both logistical and financial, between Disney, Mears, and MCO. It's possible that a long term contract was signed that Disney thinks they can now beat, or Mears handled some of the logistical work with MCO that Disney can piggyback off of. There has to be some ability to run a bus fleet; on-property transit is handled by Disney proper, right?

Obviously I'm just spitballing, though. It also wouldn't surprise me if Disney just anointed a couple services as "preferred partners," advertised them on their website, maybe tie them into the booking system, and just had a slightly worse arrival experience.

Disney stock is higher than it has been because its constant cutbacks cutbacks cutbacks.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 12, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

skipdogg posted:

For 1/3 the cost I can fly to Disneyland, stay across the street at the Tropicana, and deal with getting myself from LAX to the motel.
You can, but you can't, if you get my drift. Based on past tourist hardships the parks SHOULD be throwing sales out the rear end, but it's probably because Disneyland is running zero per day that Disney World is slowly turning into a club for the super-rich.

I know I posted it earlier in this thread, but I have the email receipts of my booking for 2006 and it's hilarious how much more expensive the same trip is. A little bit of that is inflation and a little bit of that could be solved by making some adjustments. The value resort options are better now than 15 years ago, even if the square footage leaves something to be desired. It's still weird to see World get more and more expensive as fewer and fewer people can afford to go.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

For less than $2000 in 2016, we spent over a week at WDW. Military rates and tickets, but that was two of us. And it was super cool. That included me having a birthday cake made on property.

The dang cake will cost that much in another five years.

WDW's cool but they need to slow down a bit with the cutbacks. I know Covid's still factoring in and I like to think these changes are just through Covid but you know they aren't.

I still hope they flip the parks to 24 hours one day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I still hope they flip the parks to 24 hours one day.

I don't think this is operationally feasible and I don't think the Central Florida workforce has the number to support it either. Before Covid workers were already stretched thin in some areas and working 60-70 hours a week regularly and not even during busy seasons.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disneyland has done 24 hours at least a few times. Most famously in the late 80s when Star Tours opened, but they also celebrated a leap year with a 24 hour day.

You could probably do Magic Kingdom over 24 hours. Animal Kingdom is a no for obvious reasons. Epcot is maybe a little iffy because of maintenance and employee shifts (maybe I'm wrong but I feel like Epcot in my limited experience needs a lot more CMs than the typical park) and Studios you could maaaaaaaaaaybe but I've never stayed at a hotel close enough to ToT to judge.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah for a special event like they used to do at Magic Kingdom once a year that's fine, I thought Fluffy meant like a permanent thing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah for a special event like they used to do at Magic Kingdom once a year that's fine, I thought Fluffy meant like a permanent thing.

I dream of it being a permanent thing, but yeah, as cheap as they are with staff it won't happen. I'm saying maybe once a week each park has a 24-hour run (AK would either have to be selective or not do it) instead of the old EMH system.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd love to be part of the 3am park crowd. No heat, no crowds, CMs are prob chill af, sounds like a dream.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

couldcareless posted:

I'd love to be part of the 3am park crowd. No heat, no crowds, CMs are prob chill af, sounds like a dream.

Yeah, going at night would be far superior for the climate alone. The crowds would pick up on this quickly.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Magic Kingdom has done 24 hours before, at least one year they did an event the Friday before Memorial day where MK was open 24 hours. It happened the night before my flight home :negative:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I did a 24hr at MK. I think the last time they did it. They soft opened Seven Dwarfs for the first time that night and I waited like 2 hours for it at 2am. It worked out because it was like a break from running around the park.

Ended the day marathoning Big Thunder about a dozen times until everything closed at 6am.

The park was never really slow. At least not until the very end when people went home.

The most annoying thing was that Starbucks and all the other food places closed right at 6am so I couldn't get caffeine on the way out.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 12, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Zero One posted:

I did a 24hr at MK. I think the last time they did it. They soft opened Seven Dwarfs for the first time that night and I waited like 2 hours for it at 2am. It worked out because it was like a break from running around the park.

Ended the day marathoning Big Thunder about a dozen times until everything closed at 6am.

The park was never really slow. At least not until the very end when people went home.

The most annoying thing was that Starbucks and all the other food places closed right at 6am so I couldn't get caffeine on the way out.

This was the same night I was there, I wanted to wait to ride seven dwarfs but my gf at the time didn't... :sever:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Dang that's crazy. Getting Magical Express was a headache the one time I used it but it was still really nice and the trip back to the airport was frictionless and great.

It was also the only reason I was hesitant to not stay at the Swan or Dolphin instead of a resort hotel next trip but now :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I guess I’m in the minority, wasn’t thrilled with our Magical Express experience the one time we tried it. Since then I’ve always rented a car, we like not being held to a bus schedule and occasionally getting outside the resort eco-system.