Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
staring at massive horde of valuables wow i wonder what these could be for, drat just another thing marx failed to consider i guess!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Lady Militant posted:

because the wealth of the royals used to literally BE in what valuables they owned! how the hell do you think the royal families of yore stored wealth? there wasn't a loving bank of england in 1295

waitasecond, you think the wealth of the KING OF ENGLAND in 1295 consisted of the crown of england and not, for instance, england?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Often Abbreviated posted:

from ideology. symbols. things that only exist in our minds but which allow us to order and categorise the world.

jamming my head into the inaugural sorting hat to discover the presidential truths written on the golden voting tablets

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
guys i just took my first bong rip and had to start arguing for hours about the first thing i read that challenged my intuitions

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
also kinda stunned at someone denying the existence of banks in 1295 tbh

look up the history of Judaism in medieval Europe my friend, you'll have a time

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

waitasecond, you think the wealth of the KING OF ENGLAND in 1295 consisted of the crown of england and not, for instance, england?

"the crown jewels" could refer to literally the crown and the jewels layed within; but it's also historically meant the collection of gold, minerals, and other things that the crown had to store it's wealth.

also kinda stunned at someone denying the existence of banks in 1295 tbh

look up the history of Judaism in medieval Europe my friend, you'll have a time

i know that institutions that handled debt existed smart rear end. that still doesn't change the fact noble families throughout basically their entire existence have been essentially dragons looking to hoard every piece of gold they can find to make number go up.

Lady Militant has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Jan 12, 2021

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Lady Militant posted:

"the crown jewels" could refer to literally the crown and the jewels layed within; but it's also historically meant the collection of gold, minerals, and other things that the crown had to store it's wealth.

oh so ur saying it SYMBOLISED something hmm tell me mor

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zhulik posted:

i played a lot of Granary in 2008 so i have an intimate understanding of how coups work

with the way everyone was let in, you'd think it's Fastlane

THS
Sep 15, 2017

doing magical thinking to pwn historical materialism

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

then historical materialism needs to get its poo poo together. you can't even have a system of production and distribution without ideology. except the "find poo poo on the ground and put it in your mouth" version I guess.

yes people do require food and shelter to survive, hence why history and the formation of ideologies are driven by material conditions, rather than the other way around

this is like Marxism 101 poo poo

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
if the rowdy maga men all jacked off onto the speaker podium while chanting it would be closer to an actual coup attempt than what we got lmao

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

THS posted:

doing magical thinking to pwn historical materialism

i can't tell if they are trying to do the "well gold and jewels don't technically have any practical value therefore materialism is disproven bing bong"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Often Abbreviated, you're right that symbols of power (crowns, fancy buildings, whatever) can take on power of their own in the minds of people, so that ownership of those symbols is an undeniable advantage in a struggle for power.

But I think you're overestimating the power of physically occupying the capitol and possessing boxes of electoral vote records. Because the would-be-coup-leaders almost achieved that, you conclude the coup was almost successful. The coup did not approach success because it was an unorganized mob without any support from state institutions (because they don't have any support from capital). Even if they'd managed to hold down the capital and set the box of electoral votes on fire, the national guard or the army would've arrived and flushed them out and a new box of electoral votes would be printed.

Once Trump abandoned them to go chill at his house, the coup's only shot at disrupting the electoral process was literally killing so many congresspeople that the relevant votes could not take place. I think that would've been a constitutional crisis for sure, but it would ultimately result in Biden taking the presidency because that's what most Americans expect and what most billionaires desire at this point.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Cnidaria posted:

yes people do require food and shelter to survive, hence why history and the formation of ideologies are driven by material conditions, rather than the other way around

this is like Marxism 101 poo poo

then Marxism 101 is wrong, sorry. animals can find food and shelter but they can't conceptualise a system of production and distribution. we had gods and ghosts and chieftains and miracles long before we had agriculture. ideology precedes material. any conception of the material presupposes ideology.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
SARTRE: I must apologize for Often Abbreviated. We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.

ceremonial symbols and ideology are precisely how political power works, outside the narrow cases of someone literally holding a gun to your head. you think laws and votes and elections are real?
Magic and sorcery are precisely how rain works, except for clouds.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The coup did not approach success because it was an unorganized mob without any support from state institutions

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Often Abbreviated, you're right that symbols of power (crowns, fancy buildings, whatever) can take on power of their own in the minds of people, so that ownership of those symbols is an undeniable advantage in a struggle for power.

But I think you're overestimating the power of physically occupying the capitol and possessing boxes of electoral vote records. Because the would-be-coup-leaders almost achieved that, you conclude the coup was almost successful. The coup did not approach success because it was an unorganized mob without any support from state institutions (because they don't have any support from capital). Even if they'd managed to hold down the capital and set the box of electoral votes on fire, the national guard or the army would've arrived and flushed them out and a new box of electoral votes would be printed.

Once Trump abandoned them to go chill at his house, the coup's only shot at disrupting the electoral process was literally killing so many congresspeople that the relevant votes could not take place. I think that would've been a constitutional crisis for sure, but it would ultimately result in Biden taking the presidency because that's what most Americans expect and what most billionaires desire at this point.

I don't really disagree with any of this (what I'm actually saying gets tangled up with what people think or assume I'm saying, unfortunately). but I think the what-happens-next looks much worse in a world where they did succeed in storming the chamber and had to be driven out by the national guard hours later, rather than in the present one where Trump abandoned them then told them to go home.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Would that cop, or any other cops, have stuck around to help defend the occupation against the national guard? I should say "meaningful support" - you're right that there were dozens or even hundreds of cops willing to stand aside. That's totally meaningless in the scale of trying to overthrow the entire U.S. government.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

I don't really disagree with any of this (what I'm actually saying gets tangled up with what people think or assume I'm saying, unfortunately). but I think the what-happens-next looks much worse in a world where they did succeed in storming the chamber and had to be driven out by the national guard hours later, rather than in the present one where Trump abandoned them then told them to go home.

we'll see i guess

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1348870180559065088

next week should be interesting

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ah, to be the person furtively yelling at Baked Alaska in the chat

they probably haven't been having a good go of it for longer than the last week

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol isn't baked alaska still on the lam

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

It definitely looks worse, I agree. I think the only place where we disagree is where you said they "came within an inch of victory." If you define "victory" as "stopping the steal inauguration of Joe Biden," then we have to appreciate that that's an outrageously ambitious goal and they didn't come within ten miles of it.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we'll see i guess

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1348870180559065088

next week should be interesting

Why does Babbit get a memorial protest when the other casualties don't? Because she was the only one who died on video?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

SARTRE: I must apologize for Often Abbreviated. We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.

lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the actual danger of over-inflating what happened is obscuring what is actually going on, which is abusing and encouraging a 9/11 style hysteria to reinforce the democratic party’s new authoritarian neoliberal nightmare they are going to enact. you probably can’t do anything about it, but there’s no reason to go along for the ride and huff the spectacle until your brain runs out of oxygen

this is part of the addiction to the ongoing no-brakes news cycles that are really melting brains. no sober analysis, just ramping up your own anxiety and fear to no benefit to yourself

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he's probably in the best position out of anyone who attended since he's been on the lam the longest

the dumbest outcome is that he made off better due to it, given how everyone else was scrabbling for a blanket pardon, while meanwhile, they've got his picture hanging at various local 7/11s,

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

1) They didn't have a legitimate path toward overturning the election, but they thought they did and were nearly in a position to hurt a lot of people to make it happen. That's the problem here.

2) Let's be honest, if anyone's likely to say "welp, they got the papers in the magic box, guess our hands are tied", it's the Dems.

When you say "people" are you referring to the elected creatures in our government?

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I've been looking out for him specifically and I haven't heard of him being arrested

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

When you say "people" are you referring to the elected creatures in our government?

People I don't like are still people.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

then Marxism 101 is wrong, sorry. animals can find food and shelter but they can't conceptualise a system of production and distribution. we had gods and ghosts and chieftains and miracles long before we had agriculture. ideology precedes material. any conception of the material presupposes ideology.

:okpos:

Halloween Jack posted:

lol

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

People I don't like are still people.

But it's good if they aren't around anymore

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why does everyone think storming congress is how you take power? I'd think that real power is wherever the Cia headquarters is

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I feel like people in this thread should be more confused that the chuds aren't following their rational, material self-interest by becoming entrepreneurs and going to code camp

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

speaking of which, belabored interviewed a google union organizer

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Why does Babbit get a memorial protest when the other casualties don't? Because she was the only one who died on video?

i'm awaiting the inevitable chud counter protestors calling her antifa or a crisis actor

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I suppose the good news is that we can all stop being communists now. the fact that there hasn't been a communist revolution proves that there is no need for one, as people would naturally follow their material self interest if one were required. truly we live in the best of all possible worlds

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

you're an animal. owned bitch

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why does everyone think storming congress is how you take power? I'd think that real power is wherever the Cia headquarters is

nah there’s a real reason they played it so cool when we tried to storm Area 51, they knew we were that close to uncovering the real power in this country

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It definitely looks worse, I agree. I think the only place where we disagree is where you said they "came within an inch of victory." If you define "victory" as "stopping the steal inauguration of Joe Biden," then we have to appreciate that that's an outrageously ambitious goal and they didn't come within ten miles of it.

i'm organizing a memorial protest for the guy who tased his nuts and died

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

did a guy actually die of tasing his own nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

did a guy actually die of tasing his own nuts

No, but also yes.